• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it made sense to have Baby Mario because he was actually the main playable character in a pretty popular Mario game. When they started adding the other baby characters it got ridiculous, though.
If you're talking about the game I'm thinking of, Baby Mario was more like the "HEY LISTEN WATCH OUT" of said popular game everybody raves over.

I know you're not talking about Mario & Luigi 2 because every single person hates that game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not a bad selection of characters. The lack of babies is welcoming, but I would have liked to see Boo and Diddy return. Those plus this roster would have made for a pretty great variety of characters. Having most of the cheap items from the MK Wii scrapped sounds great, though the blue shell still needs to go.

I've liked what I've played of this game so far, so I'll be buying for sure.

OMG Aero

Dont forget, there could be secret characters.
I thought about that, but it seems odd to me that they would reveal the 4 new unlockable characters off the bat and then have past Mario Kart characters be unknown unlockables instead of the other way round.
Unless Metal Mario and co are playable from the start, then yeah characters like Dry Bones could still be secret characters.

Randomizer

Forget Block Fort and Big Donut, it's Double Deck from Mario Kart 64 that needed to be added. It is the best Mario Kart battle stage to not get included as a retro stage yet. It along with Battle Course 4 in SMK are my favourites in the series. But to be honest I think battle mode hasn't been particular good since Mario Kart 64 anyway and this new one doesn't appear to fix any of the problems that have existed since Double Dash.

DarkWish

GameXplain mentioned some secret unlockable (not character or kart) that they couldn't talk about... do we know what that is yet?

GeekyDad

Sorry if it's been answered, but I'm curious if friends can play together online. Getting a 3DS and a copy of the game for my wife, and I was hoping we could join the same games, not just for local play but also to race together online.

Truth101

Banned
Sorry if it's been answered, but I'm curious if friends can play together online. Getting a 3DS and a copy of the game for my wife, and I was hoping we could join the same games, not just for local play but also to race together online.

Why wouldn't you be able to...?

Yes you can.

Kjellson

W006.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Taking from the OP

Communities - Worldwide online* Communities, appearing for the first time in Mario Kart 7, bring players together like never before. Join a Community to play whenever you like with groups without having to add them to your friend list - or create your own Community and and have racers play by your rules.

Right from the get-go, you'll be able to join Nintendo-created Communities with their own unique rules- such as speed class or items available. Communities come in all sizes—from two players up to 100,000, and every Community has a leaderboard, giving the best players bragging rights.

If you're talking about the game I'm thinking of, Baby Mario was more like the "HEY LISTEN WATCH OUT" of said popular game everybody raves over.

I know you're not talking about Mario & Luigi 2 because every single person hates that game.

That makes sense. I guess Baby Mario was the Navi of Yoshi's Island. I still think Baby Mario fits more into a game like this when compared to Baby Daisy.

DarkWish

Waluigi.
If we're lucky!

We'd have to be insanely lucky since GameXplain already said we know all the characters already, so no Waluigi. I'm just really curious as to what the secret is... if it's not a character or a kart, is it some kind of secret game mode or something? Hmm...

King_Moc

Banned
Community leaderboards is a great idea. Really looking forward to this. And i can finally turn triple red shells off! Shame there's no way of customizing when the blue shell can come out. It's fine when there's large gaps between people, but if everyone's in a pack, it screws 1st place over too much.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Community leaderboards is a great idea. Really looking forward to this. And i can finally turn triple red shells off! Shame there's no way of customizing when the blue shell can come out. It's fine when there's large gaps between people, but if everyone's in a pack, it screws 1st place over too much.
Part of the fun is to slowdown to hurt your closest followers as well. The 2nd screen is your friend :)

Block Fort should be the one level where Nintendo breaks its self-imposed "only new old tracks allowed" rule. That and Baby Park. They kinda blew their load too quickly with the retro tracks idea, the DS game had the best track and the best battle level.

King_Moc

Banned
Part of the fun is to slowdown to hurt your closest followers as well. The 2nd screen is your friend :)

Yeah, i do that. But going from 1st to 8th at the end of the last lap randomly is not so fun. Not when you're in the 4th race of a championship that you're trying to get 3 stars on.

Something weird just happened. One of the guys I played Mario Kart 7 with online yesterday has deposited gifts for me in Super Mario 3D Land. Got a mushroom and a fire flower!

Also, here's a NeoGAF Community I set up: 11-7467-3555-5438 (All items on, 150CC)

Something weird just happened. One of the guys I played Mario Kart 7 with online yesterday has deposited gifts for me in Super Mario 3D Land. Got a mushroom and a fire flower!

Also, here's a NeoGAF Community I set up: 11-7467-3555-5438 (All items on, 150CC)

How granular are the item options for the communities? Can you disable each one individually? Can you disable the blue shell?

This is seriously the most important question.

Also for those who have a copy - what is the behavior of red shell. Is it closer to original Super Mario Kart where it shoots forward then attempts to go towards target, hitting walls if they happen to be in between, or does it follow the track like modern ones?

How granular are the item options for the communities? Can you disable each one individually? Can you disable the blue shell?

This is seriously the most important question.

Also for those who have a copy - what is the behavior of red shell. Is it closer to original Super Mario Kart where it shoots forward then attempts to go towards target, hitting walls if they happen to be in between, or does it follow the track like modern ones?

I'll just copy the stuff I wrote in the last thread:

You can set a logo (pre made ones only), enter a name and description, choose between racing (50, 100, 150CC or Mirror) or the two battle modes and which items are available when racing (All, Shells, Bananas, Mushrooms, Bob-Ombs, None). No individual toggling for each item.

The communities are really more like rooms.

You join a community pre race lobby and can send out pre fabricated messages like the types of "OK!" or "LET'S RACE!". Noone is in charge of the community/room it seems, and I'm guessing the first one to join an empty one is made the operator (handing it down to the next one when he/she leaves).

Avatars are the peoples Miis, but you can race with the Mario gang. When you find people online it looks pretty much like on the Wii, with the globe and everything.
------

The red shells are shot out and goes after the nearest kart. It won't follow the track and will crash into stuff.

I'll just copy the stuff I wrote in the last thread:

You can set a logo (pre made ones only), enter a name and description, choose between racing (50, 100, 150CC or Mirror) or the two battle modes and which items are available when racing (All, Shells, Bananas, Mushrooms, Bob-Ombs, None). No individual toggling for each item.

The communities are really more like rooms.

You join a community pre race lobby and can send out pre fabricated messages like the types of "OK!" or "LET'S RACE!". Noone is in charge of the community/room it seems, and I'm guessing the first one to join an empty one is made the operator (handing it down to the next one when he/she leaves).

Avatars are the peoples Miis, but you can race with the Mario gang. When you find people online it looks pretty much like on the Wii, with the globe and everything.
------

The red shells are shot out and goes after the nearest kart. It won't follow the track and will crash into stuff.

I just....christ :( They were so insanely close to glory.

Red shells behavior is at least right on the money.

So they kept the bullet bill item in? I would have said this is the perfect balance of items if not for that. I think they need to keep just to the bananas, shells, mushroom and star. The racoon tail is a great idea though.

Emitan

So they kept the bullet bill item in? I would have said this is the perfect balance of items if not for that. I think they need to keep just to the bananas, shells, mushroom and star. The racoon tail is a great idea though.

what about the boo?!

i love that item!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt?

Goddamn you Nintendo. So close, yet so far.

rpmurphy

I just....christ :( They were so insanely close to glory.
Yeah, disappointing that they didn't go Smash Bros. style with the customization. But it's not as bad as I would have feared it would be (that only single items could be set). Bananas, mushrooms, and bob-ombs racing sounds fun.

By the way FoxHimself, is emblem customization back for this game?

EatChildren

stop setting yourself up for disappointment

this is nintendo, man

YOU LIVE IN AUSTRALIA, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS

But we're getting this on time for once. I thought everything would be perfect!

Is 60fps confirmed in 3D and online mode?

No idea about online, but standard racing is 60fps in 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom