• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Ziocyte

I had a friend who is not a "hardcore" gamer by any means just text me asking if I wanted to play some Mario Kart. He asked if I wanted to do a phone call for chat and I recommended Discord instead. So 5 minutes later we were up and running with Discord chat on our phones. This whole interaction calmed most of my concerns about the viability of decoupled voice chat on the Switch. As long as their app has anything near the functionality of discord.

Is there any way to edit the Mii you create in game? I slapped one together since I never made one on the system level, but I'd like to go back and get this one more in line with my Wii.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I had a friend who is not a "hardcore" gamer by any means just text me asking if I wanted to play some Mario Kart. He asked if I wanted to do a phone call for chat and I recommended Discord instead. So 5 minutes later we were up and running with Discord chat on our phones. This whole interaction calmed most of my concerns about the viability of decoupled voice chat on the Switch. As long as their app has anything near the functionality of discord.

Is there any way to edit the Mii you create in game? I slapped one together since I never made one on the system level, but I'd like to go back and get this one more in line with my Wii.
Go to your player card (first item in the bottom row of the main menu) and press X.

Blarg

Neo Member
The core racing is great. I'm really enjoying time trial mode. I wish you could adjust items similar to in Smash, it would be nice to tone them down a little. Two items seem excessive.

Timeaisis

200cc still feels excessive all these years later. I feel like it's near impossible to catch up is you don't place in top 4 in the beginning

Durden77

Wow, so after playing Battle mode online with the gf, it's really fun! It's actually pretty damn good now. I was still cautious at first but I can see myself putting some time into it. Gave me somr 64 vibes.

This game. I played online first game I came in first, felt too easy like I was playing to CPU. Next game I came in 10th place but had so much fun! I was getting items I'm not use to getting because I usually come in first (mainly VS the CPU).

I can't believe this game is on a portable. The Switch is a exceptional system.

Do I need to teach myself to play exclusively with one joycon so that I'm not jacked up when playing local multi? I had to do the with Fast RMX.

sleepnaught

Do I need to teach myself to play exclusively with one joycon so that I'm not jacked up when playing local multi? I had to do the with Fast RMX.
I didn't have much trouble transitioning over to it, but definitely needed the straps. I just wish the the buttons weren't so wobbly.

Keikaku

Played some multiplayer with one of my friends in Japan and his wife. Wouldn't have thought that I'd really get into it but, when I started to lose, shit got intense.

I know this is old but it really felt like this lol
5gBA5Lh.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Why isn't there some kind of temporary invulnerability after you get hit? Getting hits stacked over and over seems insane.

I feel dumb. Played the shit out of this game on Wii U and never realized that you could steer like a lot during a drift. I'd always just jam the stick fully to the side I was turning and pray I timed it exactly right to round the curve right when I needed to let go. Turns out you can drift boost on almost any curve. Face palm.

Welp, at least I learned it now, and got a time better than one of the reference Nintendo ghosts on Donut Plains 3. This also makes drifting at all on Rainbow Road a million times easier.

I also didn't realize hitting drift off a jump gives you a little boost

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I did my first 8 players online session last night with friends. Two of my friends had their wife playing. I don't know other game like that.

nikos

Found out tonight that you can't use two joycons in a grip to play this game. I'd be really disappointed if I didn't have a pro controller.

My friend had to use a single joycon as I used the pro controller and a third played on his own Switch in handheld mode.

Tubie

I can't believe the level of RNG in this game.

I actually feel like puking.

I still think it's one of the best game ever made tho.

Tubie

Found out tonight that you can't use two joycons in a grip to play this game. I'd be really disappointed if I didn't have a pro controller.

My friend had to use a single joycon as I used the pro controller and a third played on his own Switch in handheld mode.

This is 100% wrong.

I played against a friend a few days ago and she was using my Pro controller, while I was using the joycons in the grip that comes with the system.

This was splitscreen local MP and also online, and we never had any issues.

Who told you that?
You can totally play it this way. That's like saying you can't play it with the joycons on the system in handheld mode...

Roo

Hm I can't seem to get into this game. The content is great but the gameplay isn't fun. So many items flying around and mayhem, it's hard to enjoy the actual racing. Granted I haven't played a Mario Kart game since 64 but I don't remember it being this bad.
Items are like 80% of what makes Mario Kart "fun"
The franchise as a whole never has been about "racing" but throwing stuff at others.

Mario Kart 64 (and any other MK game without online) were designed with powerful items for the human player in mind, while the less powerful ones were reserved for the CPU.

Now that everyone out there is a "player", you, me and everyone else has the "right" to get OP items from time to time, making things a little too chaotic. Especially if you're coming from MK64.

If you're not having fun right now you might as well stop playing because "so many items flying around and mayhem" is part of the game's identity.

Edit: I guess you can set a tournament with bananas or shells only if that's your thing

I wish Nintendo would make coin question block pickups more useful. It's just a waste once you're towards the front of the pack and already at a 10 coin max.

For instance, who about being able to hold the coin behind you at the cost of 5 coins (or more), AND if they get hit by another player's weapon there is a random probability said destroyed coin will result in a random question block spawning.

random25

Yeah, part of what makes Mario Kart fun is the chaos of item play, and part of what makes winning a Mario Kart race so satisfying is surviving that chaos. That is why every race even on the same course against the same opponents using the same characters and karts will always feel fresh and different, and winning will never get old.

Seriously I already played 115 hours on WiiU. With two COMPLETELY NEW online games with Arms and Splatoon 2 I don't need this.

Until I downloaded it today. Welp.

Once Splatoon 2 launches managing three online games at the same time will be kinda hard. But I guess thats the way it'll end up. I hope I can fit all three on the internal memory since I prefer online games to be downloaded.

Won't start for a couple days since I'm really on a time limit to finish Gravity Rush 2 but when thats done I am so ready for more Mario Kart!

RIP in piece getting Fire Emblem Echoes this year. (I'm currently playing Persona Q and Mario & Luigi 5 so I got enough JRPGs anywayz.)

Zemm

My peeves so far:

100cc in ranked shouldn't even be a thing.

People voting for Baby Park all the time, such bad taste.

People in like 10th place throwing red shells backwards, a place in hell is reserved for these.

Everything else is classic MK8 greatness though.

I wish Nintendo would make coin question block pickups more useful. It's just a waste once you're towards the front of the pack and already at a 10 coin max.

For instance, who about being able to hold the coin behind you at the cost of 5 coins (or more), AND if they get hit by another player's weapon there is a random probability said destroyed coin will result in a random question block spawning.

With the double item system, I can finally disagree with this. The majority of items can't recover against a blue shell (excluding the elusive Horn). However, the coin can help you recover quickly after being struck.

Point being, if you can manage your items correctly, you can defend against incoming items, and have a coin available to recover from a Blue shell. If the coin is in your secondary slot, use your primary item right before a set of item blocks. Then, you'll have a coin item to recover against blue shells, and a regular item to block against incoming red shells, etc.

Felensis

Banned
Double-dipped day 1, but thanks to vouchers I only had to pay 39€ for it :>
Already have once again a ton of fun playing with the wife locally and with friends online. Yet we even haven't touched the new battle mode. Will be insane fun I suppose. Also the game looks so damn glorious in crispy-clear 1080p *_*

random25

My peeves so far:

100cc in ranked shouldn't even be a thing.

People voting for Baby Park all the time, such bad taste.

People in like 10th place throwing red shells backwards, a place in hell is reserved for these.

Everything else is classic MK8 greatness though.

Do red shells thrown backwards still have the homing effect? I don't usually throw them backwards.

This game. I really loooove it. Played undocked for hours but yesterday I gave it a spin with the Pro-Controller. Plays like a dream, it's really a fantastic controller. Graphics are a lot sharper than WiiU version too, which is a nice bonus.

dl77

Anyone got any tips for online?

I'm drifting round every corner, boosting over every jump and hitting every boost pad but yet I'm still getting creamed in every race. My best position was 6th and that was only because I lucked into picking up three mushrooms near the end of the race and managed to skip by some people who'd been shelling each other!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Anyone got any tips for online?

I'm drifting round every corner, boosting over every jump and hitting every boost pad but yet I'm still getting creamed in every race. My best position was 6th and that was only because I lucked into picking up three mushrooms near the end of the race and managed to skip by some people who'd been shelling each other!

1) Don't play against GAFfers. If you're getting creamed against randoms, GAF will destroy your will to live.

2) Do play against GAFfers (yes, I know). And if you do decide to play against GAFfers, play on 200cc. It's hardcore mode, but as someone already pointed out, you'll feel like Goku after some intensive training in the other world. Even 150cc will feel slow and easy compared to it. Case in point: me. When I first played online with randoms on 100cc, I wasn't really any good. Fast forward a few days later and a few 200cc tourneys with GAF, and I'm stomping all over randoms. At least in the 1000-2000 points brackets. Only exception is Japanese players. They're typically better than other countries, though not invincible by any means.

[EDIT]

3) Make sure you keep your items if you're in the top 3. Let 1st and 2nd kill each other. If you're 1st, even a banana peel can save your life if you drag it behind you and someone shoots shells at you. Also, the horn is the only item that can counter a blue shell.

Finally took a break from school/work and opened all my amazon packages.

This game's preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty good

And its been a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time since I've played MK, boy my corners are terrible

Gold Mario GET. Now onto the golden kart, tires, and glider...

Fuck 200cc. Good God.

EDIT:

2) Do play against GAFfers (yes, I know). And if you do decide to play against GAFfers, play on 200cc. It's hardcore mode, but as someone already pointed out, you'll feel like Goku after some intensive training in the other world. Even 150cc will feel slow and easy compared to it. Case in point: me. When I first played online with randoms on 100cc, I wasn't really any good. Fast forward a few days later and a few 200cc tourneys with GAF, and I'm stomping all over randoms. At least in the 1000-2000 points brackets.

Similar story for me here too. Usually Mirror is really hard for me and constantly trips me up; this time I opted to skip it and do 200cc first and now Mirror is child's play.

Top Bottom