• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

I reaaaally like the auto-accelerate feature in this. I had no idea how much I would appreciate it until I tried it. Considering in Mario Kart you're basically always accelerating, it's nice to be able to relax your hand a little bit so it's not constantly holding down the A button.

Also a grand prix takes roughly 15 minutes to complete, which means this game is perfect for breaks at work. :)

I reaaaally like the auto-accelerate feature in this. I had no idea how much I would appreciate it until I tried it. Considering in Mario Kart you're basically always accelerating, it's nice to be able to relax your hand a little bit so it's not constantly holding down the A button.

Also a grand prix takes roughly 15 minutes to complete, which means this game is perfect for breaks at work. :)

Auto-accelerate keeps you going at the fastest speed or does it slow you a little like auto steering does? It'd be nice to be able to focus more on breaking and turning.

Auto-accelerate keeps you going at the fastest speed or does it slow you a little like auto steering does? It'd be nice to be able to focus more on breaking and turning.

Seems to just keep you going at the fastest speed from what I can tell (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but you can still brake and everything else whenever you want.

sleepnaught

How can you ever win if the play behind you is Lock stock and loaded with a trio of redshells every time he pick up an item, wtf...

mazillion

The WW/Regional ones can be 150 too. Based off points I would guess but I'm not sure when it switches over.

WW/Regional can be any of them. I have played 200cc mirror a few times last night (now that my rank is getting higher).

It seems the CC/Mirror is determined by the rank of the person who's vote was chosen. I think at 3k rank your races become 150cc? And 4k and higher ranks add in 200cc and mirror? I don't know the exact numbers but I think that's the gist of it.

Roo

do you unlock anything after beating all 200cc staff ghosts?
No.
Gold kart and gold Mario are locked behind Grand Prix and the rest of parts behind coins you can collect playing online.
You gain absolutely nothing by doing time trials other than experience lol

No.
Gold kart and gold Mario are locked behind Grand Prix and the rest of parts behind coins you can collect playing online.
You gain absolutely nothing by doing time trials other than experience lol
I thought you unlocked gold tires through the time trials?

Firebrand

Damn, last lap of Yoshi Circuit... got a red shell ready to fire into Darkangel. "I have you now!" *green shell I fired a second earlier returns and kill the red shell between us*

Hope it didn't put me as host, my ISP was having trouble with foreign connections past Denmark, so if things were laggy blame it on me!

Always choke on the last turn of the third lap, Jesus I suck :(

I (Snufkin) got lucky and used the bump to boost for the last bit, I usually hit the wall. XD

WW/Regional can be any of them. I have played 200cc mirror a few times last night (now that my rank is getting higher).

It seems the CC/Mirror is determined by the rank of the person who's vote was chosen. I think at 3k rank your races become 150cc? And 4k and higher ranks add in 200cc and mirror? I don't know the exact numbers but I think that's the gist of it.

I have < 2000 and my track still got 150cc. It's gotta be based on what cups you've completed.

Dimentios

150 ccm - 3 stars - done
mirror - 3 stars - done

Now comes 200 ccm...

jonathantornado.gif

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The thing I like most about playing MK8 on the go is that I can hear the glorious OST on my headphones. I can't be the only one who picks courses solely on the soundtrack.

The beginning of the Big Blue racetrack always gets me pumped, especially on 200cc. First the few notes, followed by the sound of the energy strip filling your coin meter as you drift over it. So badass.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's like having the A button permanently stuck in the pressed state, so full speed ahead at all times. It doesn't help manage your speed or anything like that, it simply lets you not have to keep your thumb on the A button throughout the entire race. I love it. You can still brake, of course.

mazillion

I have < 2000 and my track still got 150cc. It's gotta be based on what cups you've completed.
Cups you completed? Like Grand Prix? That doesn't seem right. I haven't touched any of the other modes besides Online play. Maybe it rolls between 100cc and 150cc with chances for higher CC and mirror appearing the higher you rank?

Maybe you can even get 50cc races if your rank is way under a thousand? That would make sense to me.

SomTervo

Okay, I had a replay I wanted to favorite last night and couldn't figure out how to do it. Also, it appears to me there is no overall options menu? Do you have to wait till you are in game to adjust options?

The UI is not user friendly at all.

Seems like nobody's interested in helping in this thread...

Go to MKTV or whatever, at the bottom of the main menu. Click into it. You'll get to a screen with a big mosaic of your recent 10-20 games' replays. Watch the one you want to save. While on the 'edit highlights' or 'quit' menu, while the replay is playing in the background, you can hit X to 'favourite' it. A little star should appear in the top left, and a counter should show 1/6. You can hit X whenever you see that blank star/counter to favourite/unfavourite replays.

Then when you're back on the MKTV mosaic, you can scroll right to see 'Favourites'.

And yes, I haven't found any immediate options menu :/

RGVNOE

SP rubber banding seems to be worst than online, they always wait till the last lap of the last race to mess with you so you miss out on 3 stars

random25

I just finished all 150cc races in SP, and I never thought it would be that easy lol. I tend to struggle at those in MK8 but I guess online races taught me well.

sleepnaught

Robbed in a 3 person race. Both guys behind me equipped with a trio of redshells. No matter how good I do, it's not good enough. Game ways decides to fuck me sideways

RoadHazard

Gold Member
150 ccm - 3 stars - done
mirror - 3 stars - done

Now comes 200 ccm...

Being an almost complete MK noob (the only previous entry I own is MKWii, and I didn't play that terribly much), I am actually finding 200cc surprisingly managable. I'm most of the way through the cups now (three left, perhaps), and I have only missed Gold once so far (haven't 3-starred everything though - although I have managed that quite a few times as well). As long as I don't get completely screwed item-wise, I'm finding myself winning most races by a pretty huge margin. Perhaps I'm just a natural. ;) But no, my online performance has been very average. The SP in this game is simply easy, at least comparatively so.

MouldyK

After like 10 Online Races of constant 6th-12th place finishes because of items always hitting me...I got first!

Like I started the evening with 1368...10 races later...1377 because of being some sort of item magnet!

That last win got me 25 points and I'm up to a ranking of 1402...hopefully I can slowly climb up because this game has treated me so unfairly so far...geez, I hate that I love the game.

Tabasco

The last time I played this game online was BS.

In a Shine Thief round, score keeping was delayed to the point where it was simply unplayable. Everyones countdowns were paused and it seemed like the game was bugged and not responding until at one point the shine was grabbed, causing it to resume. Countdown for that player was working, but when I landed a hit on that player, it did not release the shine and they ended up winning the round.

Also, the fact that when you hit players a lot of the time, they spin out but never lose acceleration. This was a problem in the Wii U version and you could never tell exactly where that player was in real time. If anyone can shed light on this issue and whether it is a big deal or not, that would be appreciated.

OK, I was able to play several times online with 0 problem today (as opposed to past days that were terrible, only managed to play ONE time without errors). Did Nintendo fix something? Oh and while online I realised I suck SO MUCH at MK ;-)

Cynosure

pretty frustrating seeing the damage animation but the actual input doesn't go through, and the player rides off scot-free

this happens too often

giphy.gif

Peltz

I just finished all 150cc races in SP, and I never thought it would be that easy lol. I tend to struggle at those in MK8 but I guess online races taught me well.

It feels like the AI in this title is way more forgiving than in vanilla MK8.

Is it just me or is 150 computer way easier? Getting 3 stars on 150/mirror Wii u was a pain in ass

It's not just you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How is the online in this so much worse?

Hitting A on 6 different messages to join someone in the gaf room, get booted because they broke the spectating and repeat until it works. If I just join the room I get thrown in an empty lobby. :|

Top Bottom