• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

mStudios

Why do people recover so fast after they get red/green shelled by me? It takes me like 3 full seconds to get back on track xd
It's insane.

Anyone got any tips for online?

I'm drifting round every corner, boosting over every jump and hitting every boost pad but yet I'm still getting creamed in every race. My best position was 6th and that was only because I lucked into picking up three mushrooms near the end of the race and managed to skip by some people who'd been shelling each other!

Find a different room, hope for some newbies :p

Seik

Banned
Finally received my copy from Amazon.

Can't wait to wrecked or get wrecked on the GAF games tonight! :D

(Probably the latter)

Soundslike

Neo Member
Hd rumble works in this game. For a example, the joycon make a noise everytime you pick up a coin, try with a joycon close to your ear.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is the best Mario Kart:

t0cPcmZ.jpg

Majine

Banned
Brought the Switch and two straps to the office and challenged a co-worker to some Grand Prix.

I think this is the real magic of the system. Having a multiplayer system that's easily portable.

Hm I can't seem to get into this game. The content is great but the gameplay isn't fun. So many items flying around and mayhem, it's hard to enjoy the actual racing. Granted I haven't played a Mario Kart game since 64 but I don't remember it being this bad.
Definitely get you. Been trying to unlock stuff in SP before heading back to school in September and playing with my roommates/friends, but it's just not a fun experience at all playing by yourself. I have a red shell on my tail every 5-10 seconds. Having two items really makes things messy. I'm sure the chaos is a lot more exciting when you are with other people, though.

I'll just stick with the GAF Rooms for now.

w0s

Any Mario Kart experts know the answer to this question?

Item box rarity- is the item outcome calculated when you pick up the box or when it finishes rolling?

Say if I hit an item box in 1st place and the immediately fall back to 4th before it's done rolling, do I get a 1st place item or 4th place item?

That is a good question because you know damn well you are probably getting a coin in first place until you hit 10.

nikos

This is 100% wrong.

I played against a friend a few days ago and she was using my Pro controller, while I was using the joycons in the grip that comes with the system.

This was splitscreen local MP and also online, and we never had any issues.

Who told you that?
You can totally play it this way. That's like saying you can't play it with the joycons on the system in handheld mode...

I worded that poorly, but it doesn't work in 2-player Download Play mode. It forces you to use a single Joy-Con. Works fine in regular Multiplayer mode.

Slythe

I'm one of those "first time since N64" guys. Booted it up last night for the first time and had a lot of fun on the first couple cups at 150cc. I am learning how to drift and take advantage of boosts and other intermediate strategies.

Question: I was consistently finishing 1st and 2nd on 150cc (failed to place only a couple times in a 1 hour session). Are 50cc and 100cc basically not worth playing for me? Is it still worth it to go through all the tracks on the lower speeds?

It seems to me akin to playing through Guitar Hero on easy and medium when I already can play on hard. Just curious how you all go through the game.

Also, I will say it's kind of overwhelming having everything unlocked at the start as a first time player. All the car and tire types are pretty daunting to digest.

I just jumped into Mario Kart for the first time since the Nintendo 64 version. Are there any tips for a newbie? Like do you still have to press drift buttons in the corners? Anything else I should know?

I'm one of those "first time since N64" guys. Booted it up last night for the first time and had a lot of fun on the first couple cups at 150cc. I am learning how to drift and take advantage of boosts and other intermediate strategies.

Question: I was consistently finishing 1st and 2nd on 150cc (failed to place only a couple times in a 1 hour session). Are 50cc and 100cc basically not worth playing for me? Is it still worth it to go through all the tracks on the lower speeds?

It seems to me akin to playing through Guitar Hero on easy and medium when I already can play on hard. Just curious how you all go through the game.

Also, I will say it's kind of overwhelming having everything unlocked at the start as a first time player. All the car and tire types are pretty daunting to digest.

beating the 150cc cups also count for 50c, and 100c cups

Firebrand

I just jumped into Mario Kart for the first time since the Nintendo 64 version. Are there any tips for a newbie? Like do you still have to press drift buttons in the corners? Anything else I should know?

Drifts levels (blue, red, pink) activate based on how far you drift, not wiggling the stick left and right.

Press hop/drift on top of jumps to do a stunt for a small boost.

You can utilize slipstreaming to boost by tailing someone closely.

Slythe

I'm in the same boat as you. The drifting tips above have helped me a lot. Also, I didn't realize this at first but on the main menu there are little icons below the mode select options. The bottom right one is an "Info" menu that will let you read about advanced mechanics with little video clips as examples. This is where I learned about drifting and jumping off of ramps.

i have put more than 100 hours in mk8 on the wii u, but now playing mk8 on the switch is so awsome , ive been playing some game online with gaf members and i do like that nintendo fixed some things like changing cars and characters in the lobby :D

SomTervo

My girlfriend had literally never played a Mario Kart, but I got her completely addicted last night.

- we play one Cup on 100cc to warm up. She does fine, coming second once and 3-9th the other three times
- we play two races online, I do OK but she gets whooped every time
- we quit out and I show her how to drift properly on Time Trials
- we play another match - she still hasn't got it
- I let her do a few Time Trials by herself, constantly coaching her on how to drift and control properly, explaining what the items do in more detail
- we play another Cup and she beats me twice, in moments of sheer, classic Mario Kart screaming, rage and salt

Fucking brilliant, purchase immediately justified

And we'll be taking it to Spain for a festival and a week with loads of friends in a month; going to be amazing

The fuck

It's lag, and they aren't actually getting hit on their screen.

This is so aggravating but last night I played a game and the guy ahead of me got knocked over by a blue shell, then I hit him with 2 red shells and he didn't stop going forward for any of it. So many items wasted..

Durden77

Man I had an awful night last night. Sunday every race was top 3. Last night every race was 8th-last.

I love this god damned game though, so glad it's back in my life. This is one of the few games me and my gf both love an insane amount and can play together. We have pretty much been playing together any chance we've gotten since release.

SomTervo

Thought this was useful, here is how you activate LAN Play.

On the main menu, highlight 'Wireless Play'. Hold the L & R buttons then click the Left Stick and the 'Wireless Play' option changes to 'LAN Play'.

LAN play is connecting up your Nintendo Switch & TV to other Nintendo Switch's and TV's to play against each other.

Episode of Nintendo Minute (YouTube) where they play and explain LAN Play.

Honestly, they did a really bad job with some of this game's UI. Imagine trying to work out how to do this if you were in a rush.

For another example, it took me way longer than it should have to figure out how to favourite replays. I mean like 5-10 mins of googling and trying different things. There's literally no description of it in the game.

I guess the important thing is that the menus for general gameplay are totally robust, it's just the extra/detailed features that are more awkward.

Slythe

Honestly, they did a really bad job with some of this game's UI. Imagine trying to work out how to do this if you were in a rush.

For another example, it took me way longer than it should have to figure out how to favourite replays. I mean like 5-10 mins of googling and trying different things. There's literally no description of it in the game.

I guess the important thing is that the menus for general gameplay are totally robust, it's just the extra/detailed features that are more awkward.

Okay, I had a replay I wanted to favorite last night and couldn't figure out how to do it. Also, it appears to me there is no overall options menu? Do you have to wait till you are in game to adjust options?

The UI is not user friendly at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Generic Worldwide/Regional matches are 100cc I'm pretty sure. When it comes to tournaments, they have their own configured rules.

The WW/Regional ones can be 150 too. Based off points I would guess but I'm not sure when it switches over.

spekkeh

Banned
The thing I like most about playing MK8 on the go is that I can hear the glorious OST on my headphones. I can't be the only one who picks courses solely on the soundtrack.

Timeaisis

I have to say, playing in portable mode is a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Played like 3 hours yesterday, online. Didn't miss a beat.

Well, ok, I missed a lot of beats. But it's not because of the controller ::p

How do you unlock alternate title screens? I got three stars on every 150cc and mirror cup last night, thought that would do it, but only got the gold kart.

Do you have to do 200cc too? I know gold in each 200cc cup gets you gold mario, but I thought that was it.

Top Bottom