• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

How is the online in this so much worse?

Hitting A on 6 different messages to join someone in the gaf room, get booted because they broke the spectating and repeat until it works. If I just join the room I get thrown in an empty lobby. :|

Get in the Discord you ninny!

Edit: Guess I should check the topic more often too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Get in the Discord you ninny!

Edit: Guess I should check the topic more often too.

I genuinely thought your GAF name was different from your MK/Discord name because I swear I've never seen you post on this forum.

Regardless, listen to the lady, you ninny: Discord is life. Don't be a shyguy.

Sorry if this has been covered, and perhaps I am just crazy, but is it slightly harder to make left turns in this game than right turns?

Note that I actually had some trouble turning left on a horse in Breath of the Wild as well - but my controller calibration seems fine, and I seem to be having the issue both with Joy Cons and the Pro controller. Which means this is probably a user error, but its driving me a bit crazy.

Zemm

I hate the two item system they've added. The balance in the Wii U version with the amount of shells and stupid shit you had to dodge felt just right, now it's like insane mode with all the fucking shells that are flying around.

Sorry if this has been covered, and perhaps I am just crazy, but is it slightly harder to make left turns in this game than right turns?

Note that I actually had some trouble turning left on a horse in Breath of the Wild as well - but my controller calibration seems fine, and I seem to be having the issue both with Joy Cons and the Pro controller. Which means this is probably a user error, but its driving me a bit crazy.

Yeah oddly on the joycon I'm finding left less responsive than right. And the net code on this is really awful, the Wii U was flawless so I can only imagine it's the Switch hardware :-/ I've got two bars on my wifi when the switch is in the same room as my router.

Firebrand

I was gonna suggest you check so gyro isn't enabled in MK, but shouldn't affect your horse riding obviously.

The positioning of the sticks in line with the buttons above/below threw me off a bit when I first got the system so I'd hit the sticks slightly off.

Tried calibrating / testing the controllers in the system options? You've got that circle there to test with.

Was playing battle mode yesterday with my significant other. We were laughing so hard at replay reel and having so much fun with this mode. I have no clue why it was left out originally. I was also pleasantly surprised at all the new mode types.

I need to try the bomb one tonight!

I was gonna suggest you check so gyro isn't enabled in MK, but shouldn't affect your horse riding obviously.

The positioning of the sticks in line with the buttons above/below threw me off a bit when I first got the system so I'd hit the sticks slightly off.

Tried calibrating / testing the controllers in the system options? You've got that circle there to test with.

Yeah everything seems fine with calibrating but I think your comment on the positioning of the sticks is dead on. I've been a playstation guy for so long that I think the non-level position of the sticks is my issue. I think for right turns I tend to angle right and down while left turns I angle left and up which does not turn as sharply. Game makes my hands sore also.

That said, I have not played a Mario Kart since the original SNES version (yes for real, I'm old) and this game rules.

Roo

Is the gaf room empty right now? Why don't I see anyone else?

there's a full room going on right now.
Try joining through recent players/friends too.
For some reason, the game will place you in an empty room even if there's one going with spots available.

edit:eek:k then.

Is it just me or is 150 computer way easier? Getting 3 stars on 150/mirror Wii u was a pain in ass

150cc definitely seems easier in the Switch version than the Wii U version. I'm not having that much trouble with 150cc or 150cc mirror either.

200cc is a pain though, have yet to master it.

Zemm

Yeah I dunno - this game is bad for my health

Just feel like too much of my success is not quite in my control - anger creeps up more than I'd like it - getting chain shelled out of first race after race gets old quickly

Shame because at its core it's a great fucking game

Outside of battle mode which I couldn't give a fuck about, I feel like the game is much worse than the Wii U version. That two item system fucks the balance up so bad.

.J.

Banned
150cc definitely seems easier in the Switch version than the Wii U version. I'm not having that much trouble with 150cc or 150cc mirror either.

200cc is a pain though, have yet to master it.

200cc is a pain to get used to, but in some ways it's strangely more forgiving. Once you get used to the idea of braking and taking some turns more slowly, most of the races aren't too bad (although fuck anything like Rainbow Road or similar that lets you fall off constantly).

When I say more forgiving, I've noticed that at 150cc and below, I have to get 1st in most races to rank 1st in the tourney, usually because one NPC character is consistently in the front of the NPC pack. So if I screw up more than once, then I fall behind Gold Pink Peach because she's had the most points behind me.

But in 200cc, its NPCs are fighting each other harder, and there isn't always that one racer at the front of the pack. I had one cup where I made 2nd three times and 1st once, but I still came in first. Another one, I had 1st, 1st, 2nd, and 6th! and still got the gold cup. Makes getting that gold mario unlock easier than I thought it'd be.

sangreal

Hm I can't seem to get into this game. The content is great but the gameplay isn't fun. So many items flying around and mayhem, it's hard to enjoy the actual racing. Granted I haven't played a Mario Kart game since 64 but I don't remember it being this bad.

I feel the exact same way. But I also barely played any of the modern MK games so maybe that has something to do with it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There we go, 200cc conquered and Gold Mario unlocked. Went surprisingly well given that I'm a relative MK noob (have really only played MKWii before, and I never reached any impressive skill levels in that). Only had to retry one cup, where I first got silver, all the others I golded on the first attempt (only 3-starred three of them though).

And wow, does 150cc feel slow now. Someone said it was like Neo finally understanding the Matrix, and yeah, pretty much!

EDIT: Auto-accelerate really helped me, as it allowed me to focus on drifting and braking without having to also manage the A button. I love that feature, no reason not to use it IMO.

Dumb question: Can you switch between the two items if you're holding more than one? I tried all the buttons and none of them seemed to do anything, though I might have missed something obvious...
How the hell do I turn off auto steer or whatever the hell this garbage is...I thought my steering felt off.

On the pause menu, one of the buttons turns it off. Forget which.

Top Bottom