• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Dipship31

So now that I'm starting to get a hang of the game and doing decent online (usually around 3rd - 7th place) what should I be looking for in terms of which characters to use and which stats to go for on the car? I'm assuming the best way to go is usually a heavy character with a strong emphasis on speed over anything else?

So now that I'm starting to get a hang of the game and doing decent online (usually around 3rd - 7th place) what should I be looking for in terms of which characters to use and which stats to go for on the car? I'm assuming the best way to go is usually a heavy character with a strong emphasis on speed over anything else?

A heavy character with a lot of acceleration so speed and acceleration are rather equal, personally I prefer to have slightly more acceleration since one of the stats will be slightly higher. That's for 150.

For 200 cc I use a light or medium and pure acceleration.

I'd also recommend a bike, most of the good players I've faced all use/prefer one. Might as well experiment if you haven't already.

daman824

Easily the biggest problem with the game is the need to play heavy characters to really do well once you get the hang of the game.

Also the weight classes make no sense. Played (and still play) Roy in the original mk8. But I wanted to switch to king buu since he looks pretty cool and he's heavy. But he still loses on speed when on the same bikes as Roy and other heavy characters even though he looks like he's in the same weight class.

Anyway my mii is jack and I've been playing a lot in the gaf tournament. It's incredibly addicting

It's odd. There your motion control wheel and then a number that increases and then your score and that decreases.

And it goes on for a solid 30 sec. I'll try to video it.

It goes on for about 50 sec....... Let me see how I can post it.
I was wondering why you were taking so long to pick a course compared to everyone else... What the fuck?

random25

Easily the biggest problem with the game is the need to play heavy characters to really do well once you get the hang of the game.

Also the weight classes make no sense. Played (and still play) Roy in the original mk8. But I wanted to switch to king buu since he looks pretty cool and he's heavy. But he still loses on speed when on the same bikes as Roy and other heavy characters even though he looks like he's in the same weight class.

I once got a match against a Villager user, and he always gets the first place for 5 consecutive races, some of which are by a long lead. And I've seen players who uses baby characters that are very competitive to the top spot.

I think that doing well in this game is having that character/kart combo that you can fully control and maximize to its full potential. Having that top speed and weight is good and all, but once you get off the track or got slowed down because of a hit, that low acceleration can really hurt.

Roo

Ok here's a link to what's happening on my end after every race

https://youtu.be/1oP4LUQhs9k

Just uploaded it so not sure if it's done processing.

Sorry it's a blurry mess, I was a little late having my tablet to record it ha....

As I pointed out in the Discord chat, some people were having the same issue earlier today

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bizarre!

Well I'm glad I'm not completely alone, I thought maybe my mind was telling me it's time for bed 🤦*♂️

Edit: a thought, perhaps it had something to do with getting the max races for the tournament? Earlier today it said I'd played the max number of races and kicked me out of the gaf room. Then later when I stopped in for few races again it told me my score was already set and wouldn't increase. I started from 0 again and now this. Just a sleepy thought.

Piggus

Finally got Gold Mario. 200cc is pretty easy against the AI once you know what you're doing. Only one of the cups gave me real problems, and it mainly came down to bad luck. Now to see if anything I learned is worth a damn against real people.

Is there really no way to have the second player progress saved when playing online? It's frustrating my girlfriend that none of her wins and losses are being recorded.

daman824

I once got a match against a Villager user, and he always gets the first place for 5 consecutive races, some of which are by a long lead. And I've seen players who uses baby characters that are very competitive to the top spot.

I think that doing well in this game is having that character/kart combo that you can fully control and maximize to its full potential. Having that top speed and weight is good and all, but once you get off the track or got slowed down because of a hit, that low acceleration can really hurt.
eh... I feel like acceleration doesn't matter too much. If you're ever hit with an item that stops you and playing with good people, you're in a position where you're going to be getting mushrooms soon

Until today, I thought it was impossible to recieve two of the same item. Nothing is more rage inducing than recieving two coin items. Did Nintendo decide to screw things up, or have I been lucky til today?

random25

eh... I feel like acceleration doesn't matter too much. If you're ever hit with an item that stops you and playing with good people, you're in a position where you're going to be getting mushrooms soon

Too much won't really help since the trade off is slower top speed, but it does help maintain a lead when items start to rain on you and slow you down. With double items in play, it's much easier to catch up against heavy characters that have speed as focus.

Bizarre!

Well I'm glad I'm not completely alone, I thought maybe my mind was telling me it's time for bed 🤦*♂️

Edit: a thought, perhaps it had something to do with getting the max races for the tournament? Earlier today it said I'd played the max number of races and kicked me out of the gaf room. Then later when I stopped in for few races again it told me my score was already set and wouldn't increase. I started from 0 again and now this. Just a sleepy thought.

I can confirm as someone who had the same issue it started once I finished my maximum number of races

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Too much won't really help since the trade off is slower top speed, but it does help maintain a lead when items start to rain on you and slow you down. With double items in play, it's much easier to catch up against heavy characters that have speed as focus.

Right, but top speed is determined more by the amount of coins you have than your kart/character anyway - there's more difference between having 0 coins and 10 coins than there is between being Baby Peach or Dry Bowser, from my experience. If you're getting hit a lot, you're not reaching your top speed anyway, because firstly you get stopped and secondly you lose coins. The most important thing is firstly to not get hit and secondly put yourself in a position to get coins quickly again, and acceleration is what helps the latter.

I too tend to notice Random being dominated by the Babies. Also the Inklings, but that's because they're the character of choice for obsessives, I guess. :p

I also feel double items massively advantages the early leader. You can't draw a coin and suddenly lack defence, and the middle of the pack is a lot more aggressive now people can use an item and still immediately put back up a shield, so everyone in the middle decimates each other and the leader is ever harder to catch. That's yet another reason to favour acceleration over top speed.

Right, but top speed is determined more by the amount of coins you have than your kart/character anyway - there's more difference between having 0 coins and 10 coins than there is between being Baby Peach or Dry Bowser, from my experience. If you're getting hit a lot, you're not reaching your top speed anyway, because firstly you get stopped and secondly you lose coins. The most important thing is firstly to not get hit and secondly put yourself in a position to get coins quickly again, and acceleration is what helps the latter.

I too tend to notice Random being dominated by the Babies. Also the Inklings, but that's because they're the character of choice for obsessives, I guess. :p

I also feel double items massively advantages the early leader. You can't draw a coin and suddenly lack defence, and the middle of the pack is a lot more aggressive now people can use an item and still immediately put back up a shield, so everyone in the middle decimates each other and the leader is ever harder to catch. That's yet another reason to favour acceleration over top speed.

Acceleration matters, A LOT. In the early meta that I and other good players have seen, 150 is best with either a heavy with a lot of acceleration so if balances out, or pure acceleration (depending). This is because acceleration was buffed, and because it determines how fast/long your mini turbos are, as well as how fast/long your trick boosts and possibly mushroom boosts are. In most courses, so long as you can get ample drifting and are god's at getting purple sparks, acceleration dominates.

Until today, I thought it was impossible to recieve two of the same item. Nothing is more rage inducing than recieving two coin items. Did Nintendo decide to screw things up, or have I been lucky til today?

Nah, it's very possible. Double stars, double triple red shells, I vaguely even remember double bullet bills. As for your case, double coins are incredibly rare, and are usually caused by a laggy item wheel anyway (which is a bug), so don't fret.

AGoodODST

I never really touched 200cc in the WiiU version but after a few GAF games I've jumped into the GP mode to get the title screens.

It's actually really fun. It tests your knowledge of the tracks really well.

Firebrand

What I find kind of annoying is that if you delete some favorites to make space you still can't move a recent highlight into your favorite section.

Roo

What I find kind of annoying is that if you delete some favorites to make space you still can't move a recent highlight into your favorite section.
Are you completely sure?
I remember you could do that in the Wii U version.
While watching a highlight reel from the recent races list, make the options menu appear. The stars to favorite it should appear too. If you have any available, the video will be moved to favorites automatically.

Firebrand

Are you completely sure?
I remember you could do that in the Wii U version.
While watching a highlight reel from the recent races list, make the options menu appear. The stars to favorite it should appear too. If you have any available, the video will be moved to favorites automatically.

Hmm. Will go check now, to make sure.

edit: Yep, you're right! I somehow missed the star being in the corner, guess I was looking in the same spot where the Y for Delete is.

Cheers!

Does anyone else's Switch get really really hot when playing 3/4 player multi at home? Mine has gotten so warm that I don't want to play docked, the fan sounds like it is going to shoot through it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Eh, just found out I can't play, my Nat is a dreadful d. Gotta hunt for a new modem/router

*Seriously pissed*

Firebrand

Crap, playing around with the replays made me discover Right on the left joycon d-pad doesn't necessarily register after the "click", unless some force is applied. Oh well, I probably want to send it in for the signal fix before the warranty period is over.

Crap, playing around with the replays made me discover Right on the left joycon d-pad doesn't necessarily register after the "click", unless some force is applied. Oh well, I probably want to send it in for the signal fix before the warranty period is over.

I have the same issue but upwards, it's no big deal

Roo

Hmm. Will go check now, to make sure.

edit: Yep, you're right! I somehow missed the star being in the corner, guess I was looking in the same spot where the Y for Delete is.

Cheers!
Ah, glad I could help.
You scared me for a moment there. Thought they removed that option just because lol

Joqu

I had a mario kart nightmare last night and I'm pretty sure mario kart gaf is to blame

Freaking cheaters >_>

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
What router do you have? Putting your Switch into your routers DMZ is an easy way to sort that out.

I tried to put it in my bridged Tp-Link's DMZ but to no avail, sadly, modem is an ancient Technicolor that doesn't even have such settings. Online multiplayer on PC works great, though. I'm gonna just grab a new one

Top Bottom