• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have a question, I'm gonna buy soon MK8D but I have to buy also a pro controller. Can I play with a friend with this setup : pro controller and joy con grip ?

With the infography I understand that it's not possible to play with dual joy cons in multiplayer ? It can't be true, right ?
Pretty sure you can. Maybe not in portable mode.

dannie

I have a question, I'm gonna buy soon MK8D but I have to buy also a pro controller. Can I play with a friend with this setup : pro controller and joy con grip ?

With the infography I understand that it's not possible to play with dual joy cons in multiplayer ? It can't be true, right ?
this setup only not on wireless 2P because of Bluetooth limited, Online 2P is okay
And if you can setup Lan play, you can use pro controller and joy con grip in Lan 2P

This may be the realest video about this game ever:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3o_ZKWi-OU

Videogamedunkey knows the truth.

Nah sometimes its just poor driving as far as i can see...

But I see where they are coming from...

Saturday I played 2p online with my brother and within the first hour i lost 100 points easily just because some bad luck in the first 5 corners...once you are buried at 4 or further down...its just brutal and devastating... my brother dominated easily but then luck changed and it was completly the opposite he had an hour of bad luck, in the end it worked out for both of us and we ended with 2100 points each :D

Turrican3

The higher VR you have, you'll notice 100cc will appear less and 150cc more.
At one point past 3500-4k VR, Mirror and 200cc will show up as well.
Ugh.

Do not like this... at all.
Hope they introduce an option as soon as possible, I just want to be able to play in regular 150cc all the time. :-\

Finally drew the summer theme for the Animal Crossing course, and noticed something I couldn't have back in 2015 when the DLC was released.

If you're a musician, you know that wind and brass instruments have a distinct signature, a voice, that can distinguish a precise performer at the professional level. Well, in the Animal Crossing summer course, a trombone takes the lead on the melody from the opening titles of the GameCube AC (and how neat is it that the four seasons collectively pay tribute to the music of all the games?). And from the timbre and intonation, it is so conspicuously the same trombonist who plays the Tarrey Town theme in BotW. Fully expected, yes, from Nintendo's stable in-house band, but still worth a laugh if you're coming to MK8 from far too much time with Zelda.

correojon

I´ve been playing this with my GF all weekend, she loved the original on WiiU but I was having a hard time convincing her to stop playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and give Battle Mode a chance. Well she finally did and, after a rough start she´s fallen in love with Ballon Battles, Coin Runners and Bob-omb Blast :D We still haven´t played much Robbers and Cops and Shine Thief, I personally like Shine Thief a lot. It sucks that you can´t just play 1VS1, but after setting the CPU level to easy and using teams the other racers have stopped bothering us so much. I also don´t like that you respawn after loosing all balloons. I just want 1VS1 balloon battles to the death in the SNES battle course!

I don´t know if they´ve added new details to the maps, but it´s incredible that after so much time with the original I´m still discovering new details on each circuit. The game looks beautiful, both on the TV and on the Switch and I really can´t think what Nintendo could do to make MK9 look better than this, this is the real fullfillment of the promise of games looking like Pixar movies. Yeah there surely is a bunch of technical stuff that could improve the game´s IQ, but what I mean is that I can´t imagine the game with more detail (in circuits, character models and karts) or to be precise, how making them even more detailed would make them look better without clashing with the artstyle.

The game deserves all the 10/10 it got.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I brought my switch over to my friends house so we could do 2 player split screen for two t.v's and I finally understand the crazy nonsensical limitation for this mode(wireless).

So apparently in this mode you can only use two controllers. So something like 2 pro controllers is the ideal. However you cannot use the Joy-cons in the grip rather you have to use each joy-con separately. You cannot phave 1 person play in the dual joy-con mode/grip mode at all..

So here we are deliberating between better controls or better screen space. Single joy-con mode even with a support grip isn't worth it for how uncomfortable it is.

Sucks massively. Would be interested in understanding why this limitation was made in the first place =/

Are you talking about one player per Switch? You say two TVs, so I guess yes? In that case, of course you can use dual Joycon for one player (or both). I'm​ pretty sure you can do that even when doing splitscreen on one Switch. The limitation you're talking about I don't think exists (although I am slightly confused as to what your exact problem is). Either way, you just have to make sure the controller order/combinations are properly set up before you begin.

this setup only not on wireless 2P because of Bluetooth limited, Online 2P is okay
And if you can setup Lan play, you can use pro controller and joy con grip in Lan 2P

?

Is this the same supposed issue as the above? If so, that limitation does not exist. I've played in wireless mode with a friend (one Switch each), me using dual Joycon and him using a Pro controller.

dannie

Is this the same supposed issue as the above? If so, that limitation does not exist. I've played in wireless mode with a friend (one Switch each), me using dual Joycon and him using a Pro controller.
because you are one player in each switch, you can use dual Joycon
In wireless mode 2 player in the same switch you can only pro controller + single joy-con

TheMoon

Finally drew the summer theme for the Animal Crossing course, and noticed something I couldn't have back in 2015 when the DLC was released.

If you're a musician, you know that wind and brass instruments have a distinct signature, a voice, that can distinguish a precise performer at the professional level. Well, in the Animal Crossing summer course, a trombone takes the lead on the melody from the opening titles of the GameCube AC (and how neat is it that the four seasons collectively pay tribute to the music of all the games?). And from the timbre and intonation, it is so conspicuously the same trombonist who plays the Tarrey Town theme in BotW. Fully expected, yes, from Nintendo's stable in-house band, but still worth a laugh if you're coming to MK8 from far too much time with Zelda.

Nerd. XD

+1!

Whats going on? Why do I disconmect from MK online so fucking much!?!?

Tried to start 4 games, all communication errors before I even get to play!

?!?!!?!!?

My internet is flawless for everthing else...

Okay what is this!?

Why when you hit somebody on a bike with a red shell (and no defensive item) do they jolt forward and continue accelerating?
I hit somebody with FOUR red shells! Each hit didn't stop him or slow him down, he just kept jolting forward and continuing on, I couldn't catch them.

I've noticed this a few times now, anybody else?

TheMoon

Okay what is this!?

Why when you hit somebody on a bike with a red shell (and no defensive item) do they jolt forward and continue accelerating?
I hit somebody with FOUR red shells! Each hit didn't stop him or slow him down, he just kept jolting forward and continuing on, I couldn't catch them.

Latency. That's online for ya. They're not cheating, that's just how online play works.

MAX PAYMENT

Okay what is this!?

I get this sometimes to. It appears to not slow them down.

Anteo

Are you talking about one player per Switch? You say two TVs, so I guess yes? In that case, of course you can use dual Joycon for one player (or both). I'm​ pretty sure you can do that even when doing splitscreen on one Switch. The limitation you're talking about I don't think exists (although I am slightly confused as to what your exact problem is). Either way, you just have to make sure the controller order/combinations are properly set up before you begin.

?

He is talking about 2 players pper switch wireless. The switch only supports 2 connections for controller when using wireless local mode. So you can only use 1 pro and 1 joycon. One player cant use dual joycons if there is another player on the same switch.

I´ve been playing this with my GF all weekend, she loved the original on WiiU but I was having a hard time convincing her to stop playing Puyo Puyo Tetris and give Battle Mode a chance. Well she finally did and, after a rough start she´s fallen in love with Ballon Battles, Coin Runners and Bob-omb Blast :D We still haven´t played much Robbers and Cops and Shine Thief, I personally like Shine Thief a lot. It sucks that you can´t just play 1VS1, but after setting the CPU level to easy and using teams the other racers have stopped bothering us so much. I also don´t like that you respawn after loosing all balloons. I just want 1VS1 balloon battles to the death in the SNES battle course!

I don´t know if they´ve added new details to the maps, but it´s incredible that after so much time with the original I´m still discovering new details on each circuit. The game looks beautiful, both on the TV and on the Switch and I really can´t think what Nintendo could do to make MK9 look better than this, this is the real fullfillment of the promise of games looking like Pixar movies. Yeah there surely is a bunch of technical stuff that could improve the game´s IQ, but what I mean is that I can´t imagine the game with more detail (in circuits, character models and karts) or to be precise, how making them even more detailed would make them look better without clashing with the artstyle.

The game deserves all the 10/10 it got.

Game looks great for sure. But I think they could really improve the geometry to be even closer to that Pixar look. Especially on the characters, from up close you can still see a few polygons are lacking for that perfect Pixar look. Not happening on this hardware though.

Always wait to use red shells until right before you get a (double) item box to practically guarantee the person in front of you is going to get hit (assuming they don't have two protective items and you either have a second red or obtain one from the box)

I will not stop until I get the sub. I need my rYV curse to end dammit!
HTupm6A.png

I can't find out anywhere. When you win/lose a match in multiplayer, there is a star is the top left 0/6 if I press X it adds stars, what the hell does that actually do?

mazillion

Game looks great for sure. But I think they could really improve the geometry to be even closer to that Pixar look. Especially on the characters, from up close you can still see a few polygons are lacking for that perfect Pixar look. Not happening on this hardware though.

It has that Pixar look in motion but not so much when you stop to look at things under scrutiny. Just goes to show how smart Nintendo are at graphics on their systems.

I can't find out anywhere. When you win/lose a match in multiplayer, there is a star is the top left 0/6 if I press X it adds stars, what the hell does that actually do?

It saves the replay of the race, you can save up to six. View/delete them in MK TV in the main menu.

For the first time I can say that "I'm using tilt controls" non-ironically.

Was playing this game with my three brothers over the weekend and we decided to turn them on as a lark. At first, we could barely stay on the track, but we slowly started to get the hang of things and after an epic three hour session we were all converts. Tilt controls are the definitive way to play this game with a single joy con. I know, I can't believe it either.

This is huge because using the single joycon for this game was borderline unplayable/painful. It was so hard to just hold the L button while steering, which is of course vital in this game if you don't want to get blown up by an endless stream of red shells. That fact just put a damper on the whole experience for us, which is probably why my bro suggested we turn on the motion controls anyway -- if we were going to play with gimped controls, why not go all the way and get absurd with it?

But, man, that was so much fun. Drifting around a long turn just right while jerking around a tiny tiny imaginary wheel is just... well, it's fucking hilarious. And immensely satisfying!

This is huge because using the single joycon for this game was borderline unplayable/painful. It was so hard to just hold the L button while steering, which is of course vital in this game if you don't want to get blown up by an endless stream of red shells. That fact just put a damper on the whole experience for us, which is probably why my bro suggested we turn on the motion controls anyway -- if we were going to play with gimped controls, why not go all the way and get absurd with it?

But, man, that was so much fun. Drifting around a long turn just right while jerking around a tiny tiny imaginary wheel is just... well, it's fucking hilarious. And immensely satisfying!

I'll have to try myself. I've mostly been playing with the Pro but I'm open minded.

I'm honestly starting to think that the auto-accelerate option is as much an acknowledgement of the terrible ergonomics of a single joycon as it is to increase playability for kids.

I'll have to try myself. I've mostly been playing with the Pro but I'm open minded.

I'm honestly starting to think that the auto-accelerate option is as much an acknowledgement of the terrible ergonomics of a single joycon as it is to increase playability for kids.

Hmm, that's an interesting point... Wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I heartily recommend it to anyone having issues using a single joycon. After our session, one of my bros straight up told me that he wouldn't have played the game for much longer had the tilt controls not worked out as well as they did.

Kindekuma

Banned
I got Deluxe today as an early birthday gift. After so many rounds on MK8, I just learn today you can use the quake-thingy to kill a blue shell? Dude what.

TheMoon

Funny though, shit happens to me and I'm at a stand still like a rock. Had the roulette spin forever before it locked an item it.

You misunderstand. The lag doesn't give them a free pass. The game just displays it that way. Meaning they were actually in a different spot in their own actual game. Ever played an online game (any game) with bad connections and people skipped around a map? That's what this is. It just masks it to look like they keep driving pretty much. They don't have superpowers or get free passes on hits.

You can tell you're in a shit matchup connection wise if your item roulette takes longer than it should. Been through that whole thing with MK8 vanilla.

This costume is awesome

Best Mii costume in the game right there. Matches PERFECTLY with that orange bike. And isn't overly garish and rubbing into your face which amiibo is comes from, it's just a simple dirt bike gear with some minor Splatoon flair (that fits completely with the costume's design)

I need to make a version of my own Mii that isn't fat, though. Had to use a system Mii, because my fat Mii controls terribly on that bike. Wish moving Miis from the Wii U/3DS to the Switch wasn't so tedious.

This costume is awesome

Best Mii costume in the game right there. Matches PERFECTLY with that orange bike. And isn't overly garish and rubbing into your face which amiibo is comes from, it's just a simple dirt bike gear with some minor Splatoon flair (that fits completely with the costume's design)

I need to make a version of my own Mii that isn't fat, though. Had to use a system Mii, because my fat Mii controls terribly on that bike. Wish moving Miis from the Wii U/3DS to the Switch wasn't so tedious.

I've been using that Mii costume since Day 1. It looks fantastic on the Splatoon ATVs, which are what I use.

the VR (versus rating)

The higher VR you have, you'll notice 100cc will appear less and 150cc more.
At one point past 3500-4k VR, Mirror and 200cc will show up as well.
I don't exactly enjoy 200cc due to how horrible I am at it. As much as I hate smart steer, would that be a good way to ease into and practice for 200cc for when it does popup online?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't exactly enjoy 200cc due to how horrible I am at it. As much as I hate smart steer, would that be a good way to ease into and practice for 200cc for when it does popup online?

Not really, I'd say. To manage 200cc you need to learn how to handle corners at that speed (which means braking while drifting), and smart steering isn't gonna teach you that.

peonlin

Neo Member
How does the cpu difficulty work. I noticed you Can set cpu level for a versus race, but not for grand prix. Can this also be set. I did the first 4 cups and won every race by a large margin. Kinda wanna increase difficulty

How does the cpu difficulty work. I noticed you Can set cpu level for a versus race, but not for grand prix. Can this also be set. I did the first 4 cups and won every race by a large margin. Kinda wanna increase difficulty

For Grand Prix, the larger the engine class, the harder the CPUs.

Not really, I'd say. To manage 200cc you need to learn how to handle corners at that speed (which means braking while drifting), and smart steering isn't gonna teach you that.
I had no idea that breaking while drifting was even a thing. Can this be done with auto acceleration on to ease the burden on my hands, or does that interfere?

Top Bottom