• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For Grand Prix, the larger the engine class, the harder the CPUs.

And yet I didn't really find it that much harder to win all cups in 200 than in 150. Only had to retry two or three of them. And I'm a relative MK noob.

I had no idea that breaking while drifting was even a thing. Can this be done with auto acceleration on to ease the burden on my hands, or does that interfere?

Yep, works perfectly, that's how I'm playing.

I'm trying to beat all the time trials to unlock the gold part.. Is there no way to tell which ones you've done? If not I guess I should go in order..

But somehow, I didn't really find it that much harder to win all cups in 200 than in 150. Only had to retry two or three of them. And I'm a relative MK noob.

The CPUs don't know how to drive in 200cc. They hit walls and fall off. It's better than their AI on the WiiU for 200cc, but it's still bad.

Just started playing Mario Kart 8 WOW its an amazing game(Playing it on the switch of course) I am going through the courses so that I can work my way up(starting on 50) was wondering, does it automatically save your progress as you go along, since I already closed out the game when I go back in will I be able to continue where I left off?

Just started playing Mario Kart 8 WOW its an amazing game(Playing it on the switch of course) I am going through the courses so that I can work my way up(starting on 50) was wondering, does it automatically save your progress as you go along, since I already closed out the game when I go back in will I be able to continue where I left off?

If you do 150 it also counts it for 50 and 100. Even if you want to work your way up I still recommend starting from 100!

It saves the game at the end of races, not exactly where you are in the race if that's what you're asking (unless you simply put it to sleep and not exit the game)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It doesn't save your progress in the middle of a cup if you close the game, I'm pretty sure, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT:

If you do 150 it also counts it for 50 and 100. Even if you want to work your way up I still recommend starting from 100!

It saves the game at the end of races, not exactly where you are in the race if that's what you're asking (unless you simply put it to sleep and not exit the game)

It saves in the middle of cups? Did not know that. Never tried it though, a cup goes by so fast anyway.

I ended it at the "Sweet Sweet Canyon" then my fingers got tired so I went back to the home screen..I always close software since I dont put my Switch in sleep mode(The TV always switches itself when its in sleep mode really annoying so I just turn it off completely) did I do it wrong..did I lose all my progress in the game? What should I do next time..just not close software but its still OK to turn off the Switch?

Greenymac

Any word on improving the online? I sometimes get tired of rejoining and starting races only to CE afterwards. Sometimes I spend more time spectating and disconnecting than actually racing.

I ended it at the "Sweet Sweet Canyon" then my fingers got tired so I went back to the home screen..I always close software since I dont put my Switch in sleep mode(The TV always switches itself when its in sleep mode really annoying so I just turn it off completely) did I do it wrong..did I lose all my progress in the game? What should I do next time..just not close software but its still OK to turn off the Switch?

If you finish a cup it saves your progress but if you turn off the Switch midway through a cup then youll lose that progress..

If you just put it to sleep however then you can carry on exactly where you left off. To put it to sleep you push the power button down once (don't hold it down).

If you finish a cup it saves your progress but if you turn off the Switch midway through a cup then youll lose that progress..

If you just put it to sleep however then you can carry on exactly where you left off. To put it to sleep you push the power button down once (don't hold it down).

Oh I see..so as long as I actually finish a race it will start off at the new race OK that's good..so when I turn the console back on and I Go to 50CC it will start off at the most recent race? Yeah I would prefer just putting the console to sleep instead of turning it off completely only issue is how NIntendo has NOT fixed the whole "Switching HDMI" issue that some TVs have been having..I have tried everything nothing works so thats why I turn it off completely..I guess Im also used to closing out the software but if that is not recommended I will just not do that anymore

Oh I see..so as long as I actually finish a race it will start off at the new race OK that's good..so when I turn the console back on and I Go to 50CC it will start off at the most recent race? Yeah I would prefer just putting the console to sleep instead of turning it off completely only issue is how NIntendo has NOT fixed the whole "Switching HDMI" issue that some TVs have been having..I have tried everything nothing works so thats why I turn it off completely..I guess Im also used to closing out the software but if that is not recommended I will just not do that anymore

There are four races in a cup.. If you do say three races and then switch the power off or exit the game you will have to do the cup all over again. If you put the system to sleep however you will continue exactly where you left off.

There are four races in a cup.. If you do say three races and then switch the power off or exit the game you will have to do the cup all over again. If you put the system to sleep however you will continue exactly where you left off.

Oh nuts OK So I guess I gotta do the whole thing all over again..lesson learned..really wish that Samsung or Nintendo would fix the whole HDMI switch thing otherwise I would have no issue keeping the Switch in sleep mode its really annoying having to turn the darn thing off every time but its even worse having the TV switch every 2 seconds

Oh nuts OK So I guess I gotta do the whole thing all over again..lesson learned..really wish that Samsung or Nintendo would fix the whole HDMI switch thing otherwise I would have no issue keeping the Switch in sleep mode its really annoying having to turn the darn thing off every time but its even worse having the TV switch every 2 seconds

Well the Switch hardly loses power in sleep mode so in the rare instances you're mid race or mid cup you could just put it to sleep but not dock it. Or if you really want it to charge then you could plug the charger in directly to the Switch.

Well the switch hardly loses power in sleep mode so in the rare instances you're mid race or mid cup you could just put it to sleep but not dock it. Or if you really want it to charge then you could plug the charger in directly to the Switch.

Yeah I love sleep mode except with my Samsung KS8000 TV it constantly Switches from TV to HDMI 4 and its very annoying especially when you are watching something and the screen goes black and you dont know why til it shows you nothing is connected
I could always put it in sleep mode and just unplug the HDMI port and then I would not notice it switching at all..but just wondering, if the power ever goes out while in sleep mode does that do any harm to the switch?

twisteh

Will the Switch still track my mario kart played time in my profile activity log when offline?

Will be without internet for a couple weeks so just wondering.

Yeah I love sleep mode except with my Samsung KS8000 TV it constantly Switches from TV to HDMI 4 and its very annoying especially when you are watching something and the screen goes black and you dont know why til it shows you nothing is connected
I could always put it in sleep mode and just unplug the HDMI port and then I would not notice it switching at all..but just wondering, if the power ever goes out while in sleep mode does that do any harm to the switch?

You could also go into Switch settings and disable HDMI CEC. You'll have to change the channel manually when you want to play the Switch but it should stop the auto changing problem. I wouldn't expect the power going out whilst on sleep mode to be an issue.

I never turn my 3DS off and that always dies while in sleep mode and no harm done there so it should be the same here.

I never turn my 3DS off and that always dies while in sleep mode and no harm done there so it should be the same here.

K so I went ahead and started the game again..went back to 50cc and played all four races and I unlocked some new car..then after that I completed the Mushroom Cup and also the Flower Cup..is that what I am supposed to do..just go through each one and complete everything then when that is done and I unlock everything I can move on to 100cc(You can tell how new I am at this LOL) I also put the Switch into sleep mode..and I left the mario kart game as "Playing" I did NOT close the software this time around

You could also go into Switch settings and disable HDMI CEC. You'll have to change the channel manually when you want to play the Switch but it should stop the auto changing problem. I wouldn't expect the power going out whilst on sleep mode to be an issue.

Yeah I did that disabling the HDMI CEC it didnt work..I thought it did a while back but it only worked for like 10 minutes then it started up again

chogidogs

Just bought this game yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I can't play grand prix before going to bed though. The rubber banding just makes me too mad.

K so I went ahead and started the game again..went back to 50cc and played all four races and I unlocked some new car..then after that I completed the Mushroom Cup and also the Flower Cup..is that what I am supposed to do..just go through each one and complete everything then when that is done and I unlock everything I can move on to 100cc(You can tell how new I am at this LOL) I also put the Switch into sleep mode..and I left the mario kart game as "Playing" I did NOT close the software this time around

How unlocking works is when you finish each race you can hold upto 10 coins. Every x number of coins unlocks a new part. You will unlock these parts regardless of your position or the cc. You also get coins in the same way by playing online.

If you are finding 50cc too easy and I assume you probably are, I suggest you start with 100cc. Doing 100cc also counts for doing 50cc as far as getting trophies is concerned (and 150cc counts for all three).

If you put it to sleep without closing the software then you will continue exactly where you left off, even if the game was loading or its an unskippable cutscene!

How unlocking works is when you finish each race you can hold upto 10 coins. Every x number of coins unlocks a new part. You will unlock these parts regardless of your position or the cc. You also get coins in the same way by playing online.

If you are finding 50cc too easy and I assume you probably are, I suggest you start with 100cc. Doing 100cc also counts for doing 50cc as far as getting trophies is concerned (and 150cc counts for all three).

If you put it to sleep without closing the software then you will continue exactly where you left off, even if the game was loading or its an unskippable cutscene!

Oh so its not like I have to go through every single world in 50cc in order to unlock stuff? I figured I have to go through every single world and then when I am done go on to 100cc and so on and so on..yeah right now I have the switch in sleep mode and when I turn it on it says "Play" so it will continue where I left off..the only thing I did is I unplugged the HDMI port from my oneconnect box since the moment I went into sleep mode the darn thing switched again LOL

Enforced

My pro controller comes today. I'm ready to beat up on gaf.
Let me win for a change.

2ITKzWi.gif

:p

Latency. That's online for ya. They're not cheating, that's just how online play works.

You misunderstand. The lag doesn't give them a free pass. The game just displays it that way. Meaning they were actually in a different spot in their own actual game. Ever played an online game (any game) with bad connections and people skipped around a map? That's what this is. It just masks it to look like they keep driving pretty much. They don't have superpowers or get free passes on hits.

You can tell you're in a shit matchup connection wise if your item roulette takes longer than it should. Been through that whole thing with MK8 vanilla.

Ahh okay this makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

It didn't seem to occur on the Wii U but has been rampant here with the same connection.
I guess this will be par for the course with Switch with many playing using mobile hotspots....

Nakasan

So when my boss asks me why I've come to work tomorrow looking so tired I just going to reply "GoreMagala" sir.

So when my boss asks me why I've come to work tomorrow looking so tired I just going to reply "GoreMagala" sir.

What have I ever done? Haha ;)

The only thing that can keep me down is bad "luck" which I'm starting to believe is people hitting me after seeing my name xD

Forgive me for my unrelenting onslaught of items

Nakasan

Just one more... Just one more...

Rapid load times make this that much more addictive

Edit: haha, you're forgiven! Accurate and efficient. Terrifying

Chiramii

Not gonna lie, I was rolling in my bed laughing when I beat you on the finish line in Wario Stadium, TheGoreMagala.

Edit: Why am I not asleep yet

Top Bottom