• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Firebrand

How on earth is the online so broken? London 100mb / 2ms here, wired connection, and probably 10 communication errors in the last few hours. Failing to find a match, failing to start game, failing mid way race. Shameful.

I think it might be other people's / Switch's shitty wifi causing a lot of the issues. Try the GAF tournament if you haven't, for me it's much less prone to disconnect me than global matchmaking.

But yeah, if they're gonna charge for multiplayer.... come on. Give us some damn dedicated servers.

I think it might be other people's / Switch's shitty wifi causing a lot of the issues. Try the GAF tournament if you haven't, for me it's much less prone to disconnect me than global matchmaking.

But yeah, if they're gonna charge for multiplayer.... come on. Give us some damn dedicated servers.

Yeah, the WiFi on the switch is absolutely shocking. Easily the worst I have experienced on a device.

Yeah, the WiFi on the switch is absolutely shocking. Easily the worst I have experienced on a device.
Luckily my ac router is real close to my Switch dock and the WiFi at home has served me pretty well. But still, I ended up buying an Ethernet adapter from Amazon, got the UGREEN one which was super cheap and it works great.

Luckily my ac router is real close to my Switch dock and the WiFi at home has served me pretty well. But still, I ended up buying an Ethernet adapter from Amazon, got the UGREEN one which was super cheap and it works great.

I have a decent router, and yet I can't play it handheld upsatairs, about 10-13 metres away. We shouldn't have to buy a WiFi extender for a new console in 2017.

Chittagong

Gold Member

It's incredible how bad it is. I had one bar in our living room, whereas all other devices had full bars. Bought the official ethernet adapter. Doesn't help if (when) other people have bad connections, of course.

AlanOC91

After about 10 or so cups at 200cc in local 2p (I've only really played this 2p) I can say so far I hate 200cc.

It's the issues with 150cc amplified by 100%. I can get over the speed increase, that's a skill barrier but the same inherent issues with 150cc (in 2p at least):

- 1st place can go laregly uncontested, even with the odd blue-shell.
- 3rd+ place falls into a living rage-storm of items being thrown at you.

On top of that it feels like the AI in 200c is ULTRA aggressive and literally target you on purpose no matter what position you are in.

It's grating on me after a while.

Just started playing this and did the first 3 cups. Are all the tracks short? They feel like they could have been fleshed out a bit more.

OMG this game is torture...

why Ninty put these three star goals in just for me to get ransacked at the end?

Takes me back to being a kid and wanting to break the controller.

OMG this game is torture...

why Ninty put these three star goals in just for me to get ransacked at the end?

Takes me back to being a kid and wanting to break the controller.
I finally 3-star'd all the cups at 150cc.

Took so long.

Why is the GAF Battle Mode room ALWAYS empty for me?

Sorry if this has been asked but, did they get rid of the boost you'd receive if you pressed A when being dropped back onto the track after a fall?

Also, do the gold kart parts have superior stats or is it all just cosmetic?

octopiggy

Sorry if this has been asked but, did they get rid of the boost you'd receive if you pressed A when being dropped back onto the track after a fall?

Also, do the gold kart parts have superior stats or is it all just cosmetic?

- There is no such boost. (Lakitu is much quicker at recovery than he used to be)
- Just cosmetic.

Firebrand

Ugh, they need to fix this item cycle bug. Last lap of Tick Tock and the slot machine doesn't stop until until right before the finish line.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

It's incredible how bad it is. I had one bar in our living room, whereas all other devices had full bars. Bought the official ethernet adapter. Doesn't help if (when) other people have bad connections, of course.

Have you guys tried to separate your dual band WiFi network into two (2.4GHz + 5GHz)? Do that, then connect your Switch to the 5GHz network. The difference was night and day for me and others.

[EDIT] To be clear: that won't fix the shitty MK8D experience. That comes from the netcode/servers. I'm having communication errors left and right. We can only wait for Nintendo to fix this. However, my WiFi signal is much stronger and faster than before.

Wamb0wneD

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Have been lurking for like 5 years though. Hope I can join you getting rekt in your groups! Problem is I don't see the Code for the GAF-rooms anywhere in the OT. Am I blind?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Have been lurking for like 5 years though. Hope I can join you getting rekt in your groups! Problem is I don't see the Code for the GAF-rooms anywhere in the OT. Am I blind?

You need to hit Quote on the OP, then look through the post on the reply screen (the codes are in email tags).

Yeah but if I'm reaching max speed and keeping it, I would assume I have the higher top speed, right?

Also, these double coin items are getting ridiculous. I had the entire lap just with double coins when I was first.

The double coin thing is because of item lag

You aren't entirely wrong.

However, acceleration was buffed overall in this game, with each point mattering. Also, in this game acceleration determines the speed/length (one or the other but judging by experience I believe it's length) of the boosts you get from drifting, tricks, and possibly mushrooms. With the addition of purple sparks, that's vital. And of course if they're hit then they spring back up easier. For example, my set up has around decent speed, probably around three bars or more (I can't recall but it's a heavy character) but the acceleration is so high that if I can get a purple boost and at least one trick done, it gives me a boost that lasts a little over five seconds, easy. No top speed can match with that

Wamb0wneD

Been playing Mario Kart by myself and I'm already extremely salty towards the CPU. I've never felt this upset at it before. It's great!

I was on a train for 5 hours today and almost sent my switch flying when for the 4th time in a row I would get blue shelled right on the finishing line on mount wario, in 200 cc after i finished 1st the 3 tracks before that. So rage inducing. But still fun.

Is there really no way to have the second player progress saved when playing online? It's frustrating my girlfriend that none of her wins and losses are being recorded.

On the Wii U version of MK8 this was possible. As long as your second player had a unique profile on Wii U, and had booted the game up themselves at least once under their own profile to create save data, when they play under your account as the second player and select the same Mii character, the VR ranking would be tracked. So if they logged back in and played online under their own profile in single player, the VR progression would show.

I haven't confirmed if it works on MK8D yet.

Firebrand

Crap, might have my first run-in with left joycon losing signal... suddenly lost ability to steer twice on Mario Circuit. The Switch is not even one meter from me though, in direct line of sight. :/

On the Wii U version of MK8 this was possible. As long as your second player had a unique profile on Wii U, and had booted the game up themselves at least once under their own profile to create save data, when they play under your account as the second player and select the same Mii character, the VR ranking would be tracked. So if they logged back in and played online under their own profile in single player, the VR progression would show.

I haven't confirmed if it works on MK8D yet.
Yeah, pretty sure this how it works. I booted up the game under a second user, and now that user appears under "Users" when doing Online 2p.

The ability to switch Mii on the stats screen could be a bit misleading since it doesn't seem to track scores per mii.

This game doesn't want to give me the Blue Falcon :/

Almost to 2000 coins and no Blue Falcon...

Been playing Mario Kart by myself and I'm already extremely salty towards the CPU. I've never felt this upset at it before. It's great!

Vs CPUs ends up just sort of clicking into a pattern. Just play extremely defensive because it's 11v1. The CPU will pretty much focus entirely on you and ignore others, even if they're ahead. It's not uncommon to see CPUs chuck red shells backwards just to hit you instead of the person right in front of them.

Always keep some kind of item as a shield held behind you at all times for random red shells the CPUs throw. Be prepared for calculated attacks on you that will annoy you greatly. I've noticed the CPUs love stealing my horn with Boo right at the moment a blue shell is about to hit. And this has happened enough that it has to be something the CPUs calculate. They also love to hit lighting as soon as you're over a pit so you fall into it.

joesmokey

As much as I complained about having to do 200cc, it really teaches you how to play the game. I might as well do Mirror mode in my sleep.

Insaniac

I notice that when playing online with randoms, when the map is selected it also displays the GP. Does that change or is it always 150?

trixx

So I brought my switch over to my friends house so we could do 2 player split screen for two t.v's and I finally understand the crazy nonsensical limitation for this mode(wireless).

So apparently in this mode you can only use two controllers. So something like 2 pro controllers is the ideal. However you cannot use the Joy-cons in the grip rather you have to use each joy-con separately. You cannot phave 1 person play in the dual joy-con mode/grip mode at all..

So here we are deliberating between better controls or better screen space. Single joy-con mode even with a support grip isn't worth it for how uncomfortable it is.

Sucks massively. Would be interested in understanding why this limitation was made in the first place =/

Roo

What defines whether its 100 or 150? When I've won the map votes I notice it's 100cc

the VR (versus rating)

The higher VR you have, you'll notice 100cc will appear less and 150cc more.
At one point past 3500-4k VR, Mirror and 200cc will show up as well.

Matbtz

I have a question, I'm gonna buy soon MK8D but I have to buy also a pro controller. Can I play with a friend with this setup : pro controller and joy con grip ?

With the infography I understand that it's not possible to play with dual joy cons in multiplayer ? It can't be true, right ?

z3phon

I have a question, I'm gonna buy soon MK8D but I have to buy also a pro controller. Can I play with a friend with this setup : pro controller and joy con grip ?

With the infography I understand that it's not possible to play with dual joy cons in multiplayer ? It can't be true, right ?
I'm playing with that set up with no issues. The pro controllers great for MK8D.

Top Bottom