• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

TAS

I'm guessing you've already checked gyro settings? I heard they might be separate for handheld and TV mode.

LOL..just figured it out. It was the Tilt Controls setting in the game which was enabled. I never even noticed it before or took motion controls into account. Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. :)

tkXqcwO.png

Flintty

I've joined the Discord channel and will be on later to break my GAF group duck later if my hotel wifi is willing to play ball.

Another lamb to the slaughter...

Darn it, I really want to play split screen 2 player with the misses but...

...I haven't told her I have a Switch! I've managed to hide it behind the TV and play it when she's not around.

Oh dear lord I'm cheating on my misses with a Switch.

GAF help!

Lol this is hilarious! I was going to do the same with my Mrs but she rumbled me early on. She was playing MK8D yesterday :D

Betty

Banned
Connection error right as I was about to take 1st

Another at the start of a race.

This isn't filling me with confidence Nintendo.

There really should be an update to allow you to choose what type of races you want to find online. I can handle 200cc without falling and such for the most part (though I'm nowhere near the level of other guys on GAF who have done it for years), and even when I win I can't particularly say the experience is "fun." The only reason I partake in it is for variety and just because the speed is something funny to experience.

The GAF 150cc room made me see a side of Mario Kart I didn't know was there. I thought I kinda knew Mario Kart after all these years. Was booting the game and breezing through 100cc in first place 98% of the time. GAF room: last place (or near to last) almost every single round. Awoke the competitive side of me. Game is suddenly really exciting now that there is some real challenge!

DavidDesu

Sometimes I think I'm getting the hang of drifting and then it just frustrates me again.

Is there any way to stop the way that starting a drift basically accelerates you straight ahead for a while before it "bites"? The game would handle excellently if drifting was more intuitive. If it just hooked straight i to the drift it would feel so good but this weird jumping ahead and sort of accelerating straight into the wall before it starts turning just is so hard to predict.

Sometimes I think I'm getting the hang of drifting and then it just frustrates me again.

Is there any way to stop the way that starting a drift basically accelerates you straight ahead for a while before it "bites"? The game would handle excellently if drifting was more intuitive. If it just hooked straight i to the drift it would feel so good but this weird jumping ahead and sort of accelerating straight into the wall before it starts turning just is so hard to predict.

Just account for that initial acceleration by starting to drift before you're even at the curve

molnizzle

okay but for real, how do you break+drift at the same time and not lose your boost—consistency? Earlier in the thread someone told me to do them at the same time and that works maybe 50% of the time. Maybe. Far too often I just lose my boost coming out of a drift slow as shit.

okay but for real, how do you break+drift at the same time and not lose your boost—consistency? Earlier in the thread someone told me to do them at the same time and that works maybe 50% of the time. Maybe. Far too often I just lose my boost coming out of a drift slow as shit.

You're probably holding it way too long. Only brake as little as possible, sometimes you have to hold for a second or two at most but often you just have to tap B a couple of times

If you aren't coming off of an earlier mini-turbo, don't hold B. Just tap B. You usually only need to hold it to cancel out boosts. If you don't have a boost, don't hold it.

tengiants

The inside drift bikes sound like they might work better for your play style. With those you can hop later in the turn and then just turn hard for a good boost.

I really hope Nintendo bothers to add some QoL improvements to the online. Not being able to choose how many players can be in an individual lobby or not being able to choose which items can show up is super dumb when creating your own tournament or lobby. Why forgo giving players options in private matches and tournaments?

mstevens

Man, I knew what I was getting into because I got 3 stars on all the cups in Mario Kart 7, but there is nothing more demoralizing in gaming than winning 3 150 cc races in a row, go behind in the 4th race, catch up on the last lap, and then get blasted feet away from the finish line because you keep getting coins from the item boxes. Too demoralized to try it again right away.

The only thing I've experienced that's similar is getting killed by a difficult souls boss that was one hit away from dying.

Gah.

Boem

Darn it, I really want to play split screen 2 player with the misses but...

...I haven't told her I have a Switch! I've managed to hide it behind the TV and play it when she's not around.

Oh dear lord I'm cheating on my misses with a Switch.

GAF help!

This is hilarious to me, but why not just tell your girlfriend/wife you bought a Switch? Such a silly thing to have to keep a secret, especially to your SO. Just tell her, being sneaky ain't no good.

molnizzle

You're probably holding it way too long. Only brake as little as possible, sometimes you have to hold for a second or two at most but often you just have to tap B a couple of times

If you aren't coming off of an earlier mini-turbo, don't hold B. Just tap B. You usually only need to hold it to cancel out boosts. If you don't have a boost, don't hold it.

Thanks. I was holding brake the same way I held drift. Tap/short holds are much better.

In other news, 200cc is so damn fun. No idea why this mode isn't the top played favorite.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How on earth is the online so broken? London 100mb / 2ms here, wired connection, and probably 10 communication errors in the last few hours. Failing to find a match, failing to start game, failing mid way race. Shameful.

Flintty

Total would be so much better. But I don't know. I guess I should just count them before and after a cup.

I just checked. I got 30 in between games, without a doubt I picked up more than that so it looks like it's based on how many you finish with.

Because the tracks weren't designed for it.

I mildly agree with this statement. And while yes 200cc opens more shortcuts and such, they feel more like developer oversights than intenrentionally added shortcuts (except for maybe the DLC tracks). I'll admit it does take skill, but even if I win I still don't have fun because the stress I receive fat outweighs the relief of winning for me

Top Bottom