• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

kubev

We're basically back to how items used to work prior to 8, the only difference is that it doesn't require you to have an item active (circling or dragged behind you) before you can pick up another.

Double Dash was the only game that allowed you to swap since it had each character hold a different item.

I've played through 50cc and 100cc so far, and I have to say that I don't even understand why Nintendo added a second item slot. It rarely did me any good. More often than not, I'd have the item I needed to counter an attack that'd happen maybe ten seconds in the future, only for a ghost or a lightning bolt to cause me to lose said item. There's almost no point in holding onto items strategically, because they'll just end up getting lost or stolen immediately prior to when you need them. Until now, I don't think I've ever felt so strongly that a game's A.I. was operating solely to screw me over...even with past Mario Kart games.

I think Blur did Mario Kart better than Mario Kart in terms of item balance. It blows my mind that Nintendo's even calling this out as a new feature, given how uninspired it is. I mean, how hard is it to let players switch item slots and only have active items vulnerable to loss and theft? At least the ghost only steals the first item, but it blows my mind that the lighting bolt hits everyone aside from the person who uses it AND all of those players lose BOTH items.

lt519

People playing battle mode at all on GAF?

Nope ):

Anyone want to get it started? Willing to play with just a few people until we can get a crowd.

Neoxon

To whoever took that point-blank horn hit.

whIhu4d.gif

lt519

Just realized I have smart steering on and thats why I haven't been able to take shortcuts with mushrooms like I used too, whoops. Been killing me.

lol I turn it off and win my first race again :)

.J.

Banned
Just curious who's playing 200cc?

I haven't worked up to it yet. Was awful at it on Wii U, and so I'm taking my time with 150 to unlock vehicle parts and refamiliarize myself with the tracks before I hop in.

Not used to braking in mario kart.

Quick question , what is the star you can buy after you finish a race ? There is an option to get up to 6 stars , stay in the upper left corner of the screen

Top Bottom