• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

I guess all these new DLC maps needing good handling and drifting is one way to nerf heavy characters.
The best heavy combos for worldwide are Pipe Frame + Slicks and Speed Kart + rollers. Both have good handling. So does cruiser + Speed Kart + slicks, another perfectly viable combo.
Ok Yoshi Circuit shortcut is gonna be the death of me.
You mean the one near the beginning? You want to drift into it. Start a drift, shroom, release the MT, trick, and land into a left-facing drift so you have enough time to charge up an orange MT. You might need to softdrift though (if you don't know how, try holding diagonals while drifting. Congrats, you now know how to softdrift).

And just in case you have trouble while going down the neck, you just do a wide drift to the right. This works because there's a bit of grass you can just glide over if you're drifting.

Azure J

So I've been watching my game do complete laps of Wario Gold Mine for the last 10 minutes as it tries to resolve that the match has ended already. What is going on here. :lol

Grizzo

Uhhhh so the track won't ever come to an end... I've crossed the finish line and the track is still going endlessly... I guess it's a bug and I'll have to reset the game.

Seeing Grizzo do it to overtake me so a red shell would lock on to me instead made me all sad faced. It is what it is, but man do I have bad luck picking vehicles. In Mario Kart Wii, I went Karts and Bikes turn out to be stupid. In this game, my bike looks pimp as fuck but then karts can chase down light itself.

Wait what did I do exactly? hahaha

I always get thrown off track by other people if that's what you meant! I don't get why, Wario is supposed to be heavy but he just goes flying whenever somebody crashes into him haha. But as for firehopping I usually don't use it

Son Of D

This game gets pretty hilarious at times.

https://vine.co/v/OiLBVuTvhUI

That is amazing. Giffed it.

liky9pid.gif

Exentryk

I remember much vitriol against it in the first month. When did it change?

It wasn't allowed in GAF lobbies when the game released. But past few months, only a few dedicated people have been in these lobbies, and most of those people don't really care if people fire hop. So it was allowed.

Are there are a lot of people that have issues with allowing fire hopping?

Teknoman

The best heavy combos for worldwide are Pipe Frame + Slicks and Speed Kart + rollers. Both have good handling. So does cruiser + Speed Kart + slicks, another perfectly viable combo.

You mean the one near the beginning? You want to drift into it. Start a drift, shroom, release the MT, trick, and land into a left-facing drift so you have enough time to charge up an orange MT. You might need to softdrift though (if you don't know how, try holding diagonals while drifting. Congrats, you now know how to softdrift).

And just in case you have trouble while going down the neck, you just do a wide drift to the right. This works because there's a bit of grass you can just glide over if you're drifting.

Yeah the one at the beginning. I always overshoot, and the one time I nearly had it, I got steamrolled by other racers lol.

Delio

Those are the best combos? Ive been having a ton of luck in the past with Mach Bike + Morton + Triforce Tires.

ChrisD

Won't let me join the GAF DLC rooms; either one. Says it has restrictions. Is this just because I'm with my brother and he doesn't own it on his account?

Those are the best combos? Ive been having a ton of luck in the past with Mach Bike + Morton + Triforce Tires.
They are the best kart combos, yes.

As for bikes, Heavy + Master Cycle + Slicks/Slims + Accel Glider will probably wind up being the best one. This does mean that Heavy + Master Cycle + Triforce Wheels + Hyrule Glider is optimized. It's actually pretty amusing that it works out that way.

Your combo's pretty good though.

Volotaire

Aren't two tournaments for DLC only a bad idea? Not only are fewer people going to have the DLC, but there a few people on the lobbies on normal times on the GAF tournaments anyway.

Azure J

They are the best kart combos, yes.

As for bikes, Heavy + Master Cycle + Slicks/Slims + Accel Glider will probably wind up being the best one. This does mean that Heavy + Master Cycle + Triforce Wheels + Hyrule Glider is optimized. It's actually pretty amusing that it works out that way.

What about Heavy/Cruiser + Sport Bike + Slicks? I've been using that or a variation (white Slims previously) since Mario Kart 8 released and it's been pretty damn competitive even when weirdos like Roo and Papercuts actually mastered exotic things like Gold Standard karts for the sake of max speed.

DaBoss

I'm not a fan of the terrible visibility on SNES RR.

And why is it everyone else's triple items can hit me, but mine don't even phase them.

Top Bottom