• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT| DLC done right

Azure J

Glitch != Exploit
Glitch != Exploit
Glitch != Exploit

I'm not a fan of the terrible visibility on SNES RR.

And why is it everyone else's triple items can hit me, but mine don't even phase them.

At least you get offensive triple items.

Why hello there 6th batch of triple mushrooms while everyone else unleashes Armageddon around me.

Griss

Gah! I hit Nick with the best side-on green shell ever right at the death, only to drive into the back of him and hit his trailing banana! What a finish!

What about Heavy/Cruiser + Sport Bike + Slicks? I've been using that or a variation (white Slims previously) since Mario Kart 8 released and it's been pretty damn competitive even when weirdos like Roo and Papercuts actually mastered exotic things like Gold Standard karts for the sake of max speed.
Cruiser + Sport Bike + slicks + accel glider is optimized at 3.0 accel. It's a good combo

A Heavy with that combo, though, has 2.75 accel, which functions the same as 2 accel, so going for the Master Cycle is preferred. It's basically, Master Cycle if Heavy, Sport Bike if Cruiser.

iiWZOAmaq45iM.gif

I got 3rd on SNES RR instead of last like I've been doing most of tonigt. I believe in the Wiggler ATV.
Tonight's been fun thoygh; it's my first time playing MK8 with GAF, my first Frantic races, and my first time playing since early September.
I'll probably use Iggy with Circuit Special, Slick, and Bowser Kite, and now Lakitu with Wiggler, Crimson Slim, and the round rainbow parachute.

Azure J

Cruiser + Sport Bike + slicks + accel glider is optimized at 3.0 accel. It's a good combo

A Heavy with that combo, though, has 2.75 accel, which functions the same as 2 accel, so going for the Master Cycle is preferred. It's basically, Master Cycle if Heavy, Sport Bike if Cruiser.

Good to know. I've been Playing Rosalina so long that I forgot about the 2.75 thing for true heavies.

Jonke

Neo Member
I really like what i've tried so far from the first DLC. The new tracks are and feel amazing. ^-^

I'll try to join the tournaments here some day. Getting late over here now, so probably have to be another day.

(New here, sort of)

Delio

They are the best kart combos, yes.

As for bikes, Heavy + Master Cycle + Slicks/Slims + Accel Glider will probably wind up being the best one. This does mean that Heavy + Master Cycle + Triforce Wheels + Hyrule Glider is optimized. It's actually pretty amusing that it works out that way.

Your combo's pretty good though.

That's good to know for the future. Will probably try out the Master Cycle more now.

How do these freaking shortcuts work on ice ice outpost?! >_<
First one you just gotta take wide.

As you land from that one, start a right-facing drift, hold left, release, and then you should be aligned for the next one.

For the final one you also just gotta take it wide.

Dr Prob

Banned
Ok Yoshi Circuit shortcut is gonna be the death of me.

If you're talking about the jump near the start--yeah, I failed that in spectacular fashion the first few times lol. It helps to drift into it. Quick & dirty gif of the ghost I was losing to last night:

2t3dWBH.gif

Nicktendo86

Very fun dlc, managed to win a race k line and did respectable in the others, I seem to have the knack with mk8 even if I'm not great!

One thing this dlc does is make me want is some amiibo, seeing the logo there and empty suits, the completionist in me wants them all!

balgajo

Does anyone know if people with dlcs maps can't play with other people?

I can't find any room with more than 5 people.

Exentryk

Aren't two tournaments for DLC only a bad idea? Not only are fewer people going to have the DLC, but there a few people on the lobbies on normal times on the GAF tournaments anyway.

We have 4 tournaments (2 DLC, 2 without DLC). Check the OP and the 2nd post.

If you're talking about the jump near the start--yeah, I failed that in spectacular fashion the first few times lol. It helps to drift into it. Quick & dirty gif of the ghost I was losing to last night:

2t3dWBH.gif
Yeah, that is exactly what I was trying to say! Except the strat now seems to involve tricking there.

I really recommend watching that ghost because it shows how to navigate various parts of this track quickly and efficiently. For example, it shows how to make the neck, the part that usually kills newer players, a joke.

Fantastic time playing with you folks in the Normal DLC lobby today—my first long session of online multiplayer since I picked up the game this summer. (I was the Bowser in the Blue Falcon.)

Top Bottom