• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

MilesTeg

Banned
200cc really is a game changer. I finished 2nd against the computer in my first 200cc grand prix. That wouldn't happen on 150cc.

Also, Baby Park seems like some straight bull shit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
More like karts not overpowered anymore. Also, bikes will still struggle on the usual tracks like Rainbow Road etc :(

Other players always gave me more trouble on that track than the track itself did, if I could stick with my line I could do fine. I think it only came up once during my 4 hours of 200cc and I was the only one that picked it. Didn't get played, of course. I'd like to try it, because I imagine it's going to be rough now.

Baby Park has replaced Dolphin Shoals as the bane of Waluigi's existence, I'm not sure that's a good thing though, lol.

Boney

Banned
Ugh before you mentioned that I removed the USB stick so I'd force the installation on the Wii u but it started updating (guess I needed up leaving the marii kart files on the USB) now it's updating... Sigh

I'm so pissed at this

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My opinions on those tracks.

Baby Park: Very simple but it had one of most gorgeous background. I really enjoy seeing some of the rides.

Cheese Land: It actually surpassed my expectation, and I really enjoy the track.

Wild Woods: It still reminded me of Xenoblade's Nopon Village. I really enjoy the track very much!

Animal Crossing: It's perfect. It really paid a lot of respects to the franchise, and I love the layout!

Neo Bowser City: Visual-wise, it's way better than 3DS which is gorgeous.

Ribbon Road: One of best Retro track in DLC Packs! Everything about Ribbon Road is just perfect. It's our Toy Story track.

Super Bell Subway: This track is reek of awesome. I really love how much details that they have been putting into this track. When I drove by the exit/entrance, and I saw the signs said Music Park and Yoshi Valley. It's incredible how much developers put so much loves into all tracks here.

Big Blue: I can't believe that I got Mute City and Big Blue in a friggin Mario Kart game! I'm totally impressed with this track and it really splashed me with waves of nostalgia.

Hiz_95

I'm not sure if this applies to all modes since I've only been playing 200cc, but since the update, at least in 200cc it seems much more likely that you'll get a shroom in 1st.

Blues1990

Big Blue & Mute City at 200 CC....

odsQdko.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My opinions on those tracks.

I need to play Neo Bowser City and Super Bell Subway more. The former is pretty tough but I think I'll like it once I get the hang of it, kind of like Bone Dry Dunes. The Subway only got played like twice earlier so I haven't really formed an opinion on it.

I don't like Baby Park, but it looks nice, and all the other tracks are pretty awesome. Don't see why Ribbon Road has gotten teeth gnashing thrown its way, it's a nice track. That green section is tough though (most people seem to struggle with blue? I find that easy until someone hits me and makes me fall off.).

Hiz_95

It also seems like reds are more common in first. IMO 200cc improves item balance. Due to the way this game gives items, (based on distance from first rather than placing), with the same time between racers the distances will be larger so less likelihood of getting weak items at the back of the pack. It feels like 200cc should have been included from release.

Interesting how the costumes screen labels Villager and Olimar's costumes as "Animal Crossing" and "Pikmin" costumes respectively, as opposed to every other costume. Just more confirmation that we'll be getting some Animal Crossing or Pikmin amiibo sometime down the line. I wonder if the AC amiibo cards will unlock the Animal Crossing costume too?

Blues1990

I only have a Pikachu Amiibo. Why is there not a Pikachu suit?

Anyway, this DLC is AWESOME.

My guess is that it has to be due to the weird partnership between GameFreak and Nintendo, as they both own equal share of the Pokemon IP and they CANNOT do anything without consulting each other. Hence why there hasn't been much Amiibo support for the Pokemon Amiibo's, aside from their general applications across other Nintendo games.

Geg

I only have a Pikachu Amiibo. Why is there not a Pikachu suit?

Anyway, this DLC is AWESOME.

Pikachu is ironically one of the least-used amiibo. I'm pretty sure so far it's still only compatible with Smash and nothing else

Well I am gonna beat both circuits on 50cc to try em out first.

That said to unlock GP 200cc I have to beat all of them on 150 right? I don't need to beat them all on 50, 100 and 150cc right?

Is this available in the USA yet? I can't seem to get it to download :(

Do not start the game from the Quick Start menu, if you are it skips asking for the update.

Azuran

Banned
My guess is that it has to be due to the weird partnership between GameFreak and Nintendo, as they both own equal share of the Pokemon IP and they CANNOT do anything without consulting each other. Hence why there hasn't been much Amiibo support for the Pokemon Amiibo's, aside from their general applications across other Nintendo games.

Yeah, don't expect Pokemon stuff in this game at all. Smash Bros. is the only game I can recall where they get to make appearances outside their own games.

Brofield

Just read all the testimonials.

Fuck this. I'm sick, stuck at work until 6, screw House Of Cards, I'm coming online for these tournaments tonight.

I wonder if there are any hints of future DLC in the v4.0 patch's code. I hope someone starts datamining it soon...

DLC Pack 3 and 4 have to be coming. There's no way the first two packs haven't sold like gangbusters and made Nintendo a nice little pile of money.

If they are coming and they continue the crossover theme, I dearly, dearly hope one of the crossover series is Kirby. Mario Kart 8 is just begging for playable Kirby characters and a Dream Land/Pop Star track...

I'd be down with Star Fox being another Mario Kart crossover series. I'd say Mother, but I know that'll never happen in a million years. :(

jgwhiteus

Does it start automatically? If not, how do I download it?

For me, I just went into the game and tried to go to the online match menu, and then it notified me the update was required, then started the process.

After the update's installed go in again and it'll prompt you for DLC 2 (though I got some server busy signals the first few times I tried downloading it).

I wonder if there are any hints of future DLC in the v4.0 patch's code. I hope someone starts datamining it soon...

DLC Pack 3 and 4 have to be coming. There's no way the first two packs haven't sold like gangbusters and made Nintendo a nice little pile of money.

i think this is it with DLC. don't think they would want to overextend the life of MK8 that much longer so people are not too burned out when MK9 arrives.

mf luder

Whats the AI on 200cc like? Are they cheating rubber banding bastards? They must of had to do some AI reprogramming to make them use different lines and the brakes.

If they are coming and they continue the crossover theme, I dearly, dearly hope one of the crossover series is Kirby. Mario Kart 8 is just begging for playable Kirby characters and a Dream Land/Pop Star track...

I'd be down with Star Fox being another Mario Kart crossover series. I'd say Mother, but I know that'll never happen in a million years. :(

Bring back the original crossover character, ROB. Before your Links and Isabelles, ROB was racing fools without even touching the steering wheel.

I just realized, how would ROB look on a bike lol

i think this is it with DLC. don't think they would want to overextend the life of MK8 that much longer so people are not too burned out when MK9 arrives.

That's certainly possible and a valid way of looking at things, but I sure hope this isn't it. Not because the DLC we have is disappointing, but because it's so good that I can't help but want more! Mario Kart 8 is a textbook example of how to perfectly expand a game with DLC. The prices are more than fair, the new content is extremely compelling and fits in perfectly alongside the base game... Nintendo really nailed it with MK 8's DLC.

That's certainly possible and a valid way of looking at things, but I sure hope this isn't it. Not because the DLC we have is disappointing, but because it's so good that I can't help but want more! Mario Kart 8 is a textbook example of how to perfectly expand a game with DLC. The price is more than fair, the new content is extremely compelling and fits in perfectly alongside the base game... Nintendo really nailed it with MK 8's DLC.

Yea, MK8's DLC really is a shining beacon of how to incorporate DLC content into the game so well, if you didn't know it was DLC, you'd swear it was always part of the game.

I think they could keep doing characters and cars as DLC though. They're easier than stages to do, and there's plenty to pick from, either new or old.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't have a Villager amiibo. :p I've got Pac-Man pre-ordered, though! I'll need to borrow Villager, Wario, and Olimar from someone when they come out to get those costumes...

Thought so. It suck that Villager is extremely expensive for Amiibo itself, and very rare for people to get it. I hope that more people would have their chance to get it!

I need to play Neo Bowser City and Super Bell Subway more. The former is pretty tough but I think I'll like it once I get the hang of it, kind of like Bone Dry Dunes. The Subway only got played like twice earlier so I haven't really formed an opinion on it.

I don't like Baby Park, but it looks nice, and all the other tracks are pretty awesome. Don't see why Ribbon Road has gotten teeth gnashing thrown its way, it's a nice track. That green section is tough though (most people seem to struggle with blue? I find that easy until someone hits me and makes me fall off.).

I already dislike Neo Bowser City in n3DS because of bad control itself for me at least. I'm impressed with it in Wii U tho. For Super Bell Subway, I really enjoy how they branched out the race tracks to subsided the clutterfest or overdoses of items; and the track is pretty much fun.

Baby Park is too simple and it ended too fast for my own taste. I really need to see how Ribbon Road is like against good players.

Yea, MK8's DLC really is a shining beacon of how to incorporate DLC content into the game so well, if you didn't know it was DLC, you'd swear it was always part of the game.

I think they could keep doing characters and cars as DLC though. They're easier than stages to do, and there's plenty to pick from, either new or old.

True, but I'm not sure I'd want new characters and vehicles without new tracks to go along with them... :p

Top Bottom