• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC |OT2| You Got Boost Power!

Zing

Banned
Sigh. For whatever reason Mario Kart didn't auto update, so I had to wait six minutes for that to download. Now I'm waiting an estimated 22 minutes for the DLC.

Irminsul

They're very double-edged now. They do take you further, but it's also more difficult to gain control again. And depending on where it stops, getting thrown off course seems more common.
It granted me a win on the Excitebike course, so for now they're nice.

ChrisD

Um this is impossible. How do I brake and drift? Doesn't seem to work lmao

-You can brake during drifts
-Let off Accelerate for a slight second if you need easier control
-Let off gas if you don't want the mini-boost from a drift

It just means you're actually using the whole array of buttons now, as well as having a reason to let off the A button. :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They're very double-edged now. They do take you further, but it's also more difficult to gain control again. And depending on where it stops, getting thrown off course seems more common.

For real. Had this happen to me a few times already. Even holding the brakes when I see it start slowing down wasn't enough to stop me from flying off the track. :(

Um this is impossible. How do I brake and drift? Doesn't seem to work lmao

I still pretty much never let go of A, just tap B while taking corners while still holding it. If you don't slow down too much you can still drift and get a boost out of it.

Does pumping the gas on and off work while drifting?

Like I said above, you can tap B for the same effect as letting go of A, and it does work while drifting if you want to keep the drift. Unless you slow down too much, then you lose it.

Hahaha that Baby Park was hilarious. I don't even know what I happened, I just got hit by everything and completely wrecked, and I kept getting golden mushrooms over and over.

Neo Dark

Just you. Next Race is default for me.
Hmm.. Thought so since doing a search on this thread didn't seem to return any results of anyone else with this problem. Guess might have just been something off on the first run of the update or downloading the DLC messed it up. It's fixed now though.

200 cc is pretty fun. Discovered how to brake and drift myself today. Man that is hard. Sometimes I forget to let go of the drift button and let go of the accelerate button instead and lose all speed since I'm still holding the brake lol.

Diffense

I just tested 200cc on the mushroom cup. Got a perfect win on first try. It doesn't seem so hard yet but those are the easy tracks.

woopWOOP

For some reason, whenever I get knocked inches in front of the edge, I mistake the Y button for the B button and still speed off into the void.
Neo Bowser City is fun, watching people run off during that one curve.
Every single time, without fail :V
Maybe I should try that stop accelerating thing too.

AdanVC

Heh, I seem to be the only one in this lobby who knows how to get around those corners without losing too much speed

image.php

Share the wisdom omfg!

Neo Dark

Nope, it defaults to whatever you selected previously.

Is that what it is now? Oh that might explain it then. I was thinking about it but ruled it out because I had moved to my next races but it just occurred to me that I still had hit highlight video on accident every time before next due to this.

Playing the Crossing Cup on 150cc. Everything is going perfectly until I hit banana right at the end of the last lap of Animal Crossing. I fall to eighth place for that race.

MrPanic

U brake bro?
Seriously though, it's mandatory for those U turns. Don't forget, the rain will wreck your traction (unless you have a high traction build).
I already got the hang of the brakes, that track just has unfun turns. On 150cc it's just as boring as on mk7 and on 200cc it's just straight up irritating. I just can't like it. :/

How to do that one section of NBC:

1) During the right drift, release a blue MT. Immediately start drift left.
2) Immediately tap the brake to maintain your line. How much to brake depends on if you want the coins or not. But you want to tap it on the way *into* the turn because that's how racing games work.
3) Briefly let off the gas to cancel the orange MT and then take a nice, tight drift to the right.

If you do it right then you should be able to take all three turns pretty tightly on 200cc.

It's not that hard guys now stop falling off and/or crashing into the wall.

Top Bottom