• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

As far as I can tell they don't look better. Sure, a bit of slow-mo is added at times (albeit only very briefly) and you have dynamic camera angles, but that doesn't make the game look drastically better.

I think the reason for the MKTV vids being perceived as better-looking is that fact that you don't have to focus on your character and the track anymore, as a result you notice all the quirky details which are hidden in plain sight during the race :D

that is beautiful

daydream

Banned
it would help us to know the region of the connection
and if Wifi or wired and maybe ISP lol

I really hope this is not due to massive amounts of people going online right now

EU/Wifi. I played 2P online earlier against one other person which worked flawlessly. Then switched over to 1P online and couldn't join a lobby.

Now I joined one, waited a bit, another guy joined and I got disconnected.

EU/Wifi. I played 2P online earlier against one other person which worked flawlessly. Then switched over to 1P online and couldn't join a lobby.

Now I joined one, waited a bit, another guy joined and I got disconnected.

I was worried before about my poor Wifi service here I guess I might not enjoy Online as much as I hoped

I am hoping this is Nintendo's service issue and not ISP related that way we can push for a fix or more servers

I don't know why I can't stay out of this thread, it's making the wait so much more painful :'(

I'll have to do some extreme trolling in WW MK7 tonight to make up for that pain >:)

Although WW will probably be empty since everyone will be off playing their streetbroken MK8 :(

Genuine question for those that have played this. Is it worth the price of the console and game? I don't own a Wii U but this looks insanely good, along with Mario 3D World, I'm trying to decide whether dropping £250 or so on the machine and those games is sensible. Zombie U and Wonderful 101 look good too

Cool. Don't know where I've been. I don't remember DKCTF being $60. Lost my mind for a moment.

not every Nintendo published game reaches the $60 price point some of them do launch at $49 instead of $59

I remember eShop had to refund me $10 because they had $59 where the game was launched at $49 everywhere else

edit: the error was on LEGO CITY UNDERCOVER

Clefargle

I've been going through and adding all the EST and CST gaffers from the spreadsheet, almost halfway done. Can't wait to race you guys! Please add me if I forgot you, I want as many of you on my friends list as possible.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I've been going through and adding all the EST and CST gaffers from the spreadsheet, almost halfway done. Can't wait to race you guys! Please add me if I forgot you, I want as many of you on my friends list as possible.
That feel when you're a PST-er

kizmah

MK8 Miiverse community sure is alive. With so many breaking the street date Nintendo should just release this on eShop already.

wrowa

Is there no way to display the map on the TV screen? Actually, are there any options at all? Or am I just incapable of finding them? It's so infuriating that only the person with the GamePad can see his position and the position of everyone else on the map. ^_~

Edit: Oh, and yeah, I immediately noticed the stutter the first time I started playing a race. I got used to it very quickly though. It's still really fluid and nice.

I got people from many timezones on my friend's list

I want to race JP-GAF AUS-GAF DE-GAF UK-GAF FR-GAF

everyone so I don't care as long as my wifi stays smoothly connected

Finally got around to adding my NNID: Hyrule_Hero to the spreadsheet. I'll be near my Wii U for a couple hours so feel free to send friend requests if you want to get some races in starting on Friday! I'm in the US, CST time zone.

MK8 Miiverse community sure is alive. With so many breaking the street date Nintendo should just release this on eShop already.

what I noticed is that the MK community is not region locked so you are seeing worldwide activity without having to change regions to see Japanese posts for example

Japan launched hours ago so it is not a street date breaking activity only

MicH

God, I wish I could play this game right now. At least I will in a little more than 25 hours when it's done downloading. 25 hours! Just a little more than a day to go!

Chaos17

Genuine question for those that have played this. Is it worth the price of the console and game? I don't own a Wii U but this looks insanely good, along with Mario 3D World, I'm trying to decide whether dropping £250 or so on the machine and those games is sensible. Zombie U and Wonderful 101 look good too
Well, Nintendo did his homework and didn't lie about any features.

Also, you've played the previous Mario karts and enjoyed them. You will be happy to see the old races in HD. Otherwise, it's a good game to play with friends or if you don't have any you've the online mode.

The controls can be a little hard for a beginner like me and I would recommand to like the genre too. I'm not specially a racing car lover or Mario kart lover so I have much difficultiees than my friend to enjoy the game (also because I suck at the moment, lol).

BUT, like I said before.
Nintendo did it's homework, the game looks exactly what we saw in the videos.
It's a good game and it deserve it's 8/10 score.

Is it the game to buy a Wii U for ?
No, if you don't like this kind of game or not a MK fan.
BUT! if there is a special offer at the moment where when you buy MK8, you will be able to receive for free another game.
2 games for the price of one is a good offer, imo.

NateDrake

You can turn the music off?

MKTV gives the option of turning off music or the sound effects. You could upload a highlight reel with just music playing to the game footage. Decent set of options are available in the Edit menu.

I'll be online some point tonight. Have been playing this afternoon against a lot of French people.

El Odio

Banned
Man, I was hoping to have gotten an email from Amazon about my copy having already shipped by the time I got back from class today so there could've been a slim chance of getting this tomorrow but it looks like i'm getting it here Friday like everyone else.

BM8

Neo Member
Pretty neat watching vids off miiverse posts, along with hand drawn images to go along.

With Pushmo adding puzzle sharing to miiverse, created via gamepad, the wii u is starting to shape up.

Nintendo just needs to bring these three elements together more often, gamepad, miiverse, and game.

There's one 70 score for Mario Kart 8 on Metacritic and people have.... reacted to it.

PhWg52l.png

Lol

RiggyRob

Nintendo UK still haven't dispatched my copy. It better be next day delivery :^/

Same here - still 'Awaiting Despatch' and the estimated dispatch date is 30/05/2014.

Off-topic, but I had a look around the Nintendo UK Online Store's Cool Stuff section and it was quite interesting to see that a lot of the stuff is sold out, which can only be a good thing I guess.

Unless you wanted to buy this Zelda shirt, that is:

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pretty neat watching vids off miiverse posts, along with hand drawn images to go along.

With Pushmo adding puzzle sharing to miiverse, created via gamepad, the wii u is starting to shape up.

Nintendo just needs to bring these three elements together more often, gamepad, miiverse, and game.
What miiverse needs now is to boot faster. I hope the June OS update will take care of it.

Any idea when the smartphone app is launched?

Top Bottom