• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

BM8

Neo Member
What miiverse needs now is to boot faster. I hope the June OS update will take care of it.

Any idea when the smartphone app is launched?

I believe it was said the app will launch shortly after the release of MK8.

So, whatever that means. Maybe a month at most?

Id also like them to fix the activity feed, where it loads all the new posts, on the first click..instead of sometimes two.

Also, they should fix watching youtube videos on miiverse, in HD, 'cause it'll load twice, if HD is on default.

I will never understand how the human eye can notice the difference between 59/60
is this really scientifically possible. I should ask the skeptic's guide to the universe

because I am calling this bullshit

if they said it dropped to 43 from 60 maybe I would believe you can notice the difference but from 60 to 59 makes you a damn mutant lol

I don't even walk this steady sober

Maybe you should play the game yourself. I also thought DF was full of it, but the fact is I also notice it. When more people get their hands on the game, I guess I'm not the only one. I dunno what it is...seems like a frame is skipped or a kind of stutter.

After playing the game, I really must say the DF did a great job to describe this:

"During gameplay we experienced the regular appearance of duplicate frames manifesting as a constant but subtle stuttering effect. Upon analysis we determined that the game suffers from extended clusters in which a duplicate frame is displayed every 64 frames. What this ultimately means is that, during normal gameplay, Mario Kart 8 continually drops down to 59fps. This may not seem like a big deal - most will probably not notice it at all, and it has zero affect on playability - but it has a noticeable impact on image fluidity that mars what would otherwise be a perfectly consistent frame-rate. And for us at least, once it is seen, it can't really be unseen."

Edit: beaten to it. Seems that I'm no mutant after all :D

Lyonaz

This game is sooooooooo much FUN and the music is just amazing.
Shy Guy Falls is absolutely fantastic and Cloudtop Cruise is just <3!!

Also the feels when you go online and people are way better than you. >.<
Online is smooth, 12 player races are fun. Gonna try tournament tomorrow.

-Edit- Larry is best Koopaling, my main from now on.

AdanVC

I just wish we were able to use slow-mo for the actual uploads :/

Wait. So you can only use the slow motion feature while watching a replay and nothing else? I tought you can use it on MKTV as well and upload your videos to Youtube with that effect... Oh well.

Kinsei

Banned
The auto body shop my dad works for is having a Mario Kart race this weekend. They're going to the local go kart track and competing as the characters from the series. My dad is Dry Bones.

Maybe you should play the game yourself. I also thought DF was full of it, but the fact is I also notice it. When more people get their hands on the game, I guess I'm not the only one. I dunno what it is...seems like a frame is skipped or a kind of stutter.

After playing the game, I really must say the DF did a great job to describe this:

"During gameplay we experienced the regular appearance of duplicate frames manifesting as a constant but subtle stuttering effect. Upon analysis we determined that the game suffers from extended clusters in which a duplicate frame is displayed every 64 frames. What this ultimately means is that, during normal gameplay, Mario Kart 8 continually drops down to 59fps. This may not seem like a big deal - most will probably not notice it at all, and it has zero affect on playability - but it has a noticeable impact on image fluidity that mars what would otherwise be a perfectly consistent frame-rate. And for us at least, once it is seen, it can't really be unseen."

Edit: beaten to it. Seems that I'm no mutant after all :D

yup you are perfectly normal :D

KHlover

Banned
Bouncing into each other on anti-gravity sections feels great. It's such a small thing, but it really adds to the fun.

Especially great when it happens between two spinning poles and you just boost through the entire Anti-Grav section. Sense of speed in this game is amazing :D

Shahadan

Bouncing into each other on anti-gravity sections feels great. It's such a small thing, but it really adds to the fun.

And it gives a boost too! Worst/best thing is having 5 characters very close to each others on anti grav sections of Rainbow Road. Everyone falls, hilarity ensues.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The auto body shop my dad works for is having a Mario Kart race this weekend. They're going to the local go kart track and competing as the characters from the series. My dad is Dry Bones.
Cheers to your dad!

Nezumi

Been playing for the last eight hours straight. What a wonderful and beautiful game. There are so many little details that just put a constant smile on my face.
I have a question regarding unlocking characters though.
Do characters really unlock via Grand Prix and randomly or are there characters that are unlocked via different means.

Just got my copy! Anyone interested in testing out tournaments later tonight? Maybe, like, 8 PST? That way we make sure we have a handle on it by launch day.

I am starting to hate you guys

WWW0ryo.gif

daydream

Banned
Just got my copy! Anyone interested in testing out tournaments later tonight? Maybe, like, 8 PST? That way we make sure we have a handle on it by launch day.

If I can reliably join games by then, count me in. I took my 3DS out of DMZ and assigned my WiiU to it instead and I managed to join one with several players. We'll see how this goes.

Edit: Finished it and got first. Woo!

KHlover

Banned
Am I seeing this right? Are Peach's tires picking up dirt from the road and then it's getting washed off in the water or is that just YouTube compression making it look that way?

That's some crazy detail if true 8)

You picked that up correctly. Tires indeed get covered in sand/dirt/snow, which washes off in the water.

The small details in this game are amazing :D

If I can reliably join games by then, count me in. I took my 3DS out of DMZ and assigned my WiiU to it instead and I managed to join one with several players. We'll see how this goes.

Edit: Finished it and got first. Woo!
Cool! I'll keep a tally of who asks, so anyone interested just let me know.

30 hours

+ howeverthefucklongittakestodownload

Well Japan got it added to the store two hours early. Maybe we'll be that lucky in the US.

that download time is going to suck'

you know they should just calculate how long a game is going to take to download and allow you the time before midnight

I would say on my slow connection it takes 40 hours you hear me NOA you owe me my download page hours ago

lewisgone

you know they should just calculate how long a game is going to take to download and allow you the time before midnight

I would say on my slow connection it takes 40 hours you hear me NOA you owe me my download page hours ago

I could imagine people throttling their internet temporarily just to get a horrendous predicted download speed, then bumping it up the second their estimated time is calculated. Which would be pretty funny.

I'm just praying that Nintendo has beefed up their servers since the great Pokemon X/Y catastrophe.

So many bitter tears that night :'(
Probably your sanity lol. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day...
That's been gone for some time now. Tomorrow will only determine the length of my stay in the closest "rest home".

I could imagine people throttling their internet temporarily just to get a horrendous predicted download speed, then bumping it up the second their estimated time is calculated. Which would be pretty funny.

I would not know how to do this but would love them to have this as a feature

Just finished all the courses in 50CC. This game has probably the best soundtrack of any Mario Kart by a long mile.
The end credits is pure jazz sex, the final part gives me goosebumps.

Going to play some online now, if anyone wants to add me my wiiU user name is SPRidley.

Good sign?

That famitsu mario kart cover is amazing. I need a clean version!

Played through all the 50cc cups and man I love this game already.
It's so fast paced, I'm really looking forward to 150cc. Driving Bikes feels great. Online works really well. And damn does it look good!

Top Bottom