• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

MegalonJJ

Banned
They just need to add an invite thingy, where the message would display on the screen. (And possible 8-player only races to allow for voice chat with friends).

Otherwise, this game is the dogs bollocks.

I feel like the only way you can compete in this GAF community is to be able to run every lap perfectly, master almost every competitive technique, and memorize every single track to the point where you know how many different toads there are in Mario Circuit.

Seriously, trying to compete in GAF race is reminding me of when I tried to be competitive in street fighter and after weeks upon weeks of just constantly getting stomped on with no light at the end of the tunnel I just gave up because it wasn't worth the hundreds of hours of practice and frustration.

Omnicent

damn it item button spam fucks me over again >.< bah.
Spam button and lose green shell only to be hit with a red.... OF FUCKIN COURSE!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Three-starring 150cc: man versus RNG - the experience

Doorman

I feel like the only way you can compete in this GAF community is to be able to run every lap perfectly, master almost every competitive technique, and memorize every single track to the point where you know how many different toads there are in Mario Circuit.

Seriously, trying to compete in GAF race is reminding me of when I tried to be competitive in street fighter and after weeks upon weeks of just constantly getting stomped on with no light at the end of the tunnel I just gave up because it wasn't worth the hundreds of hours of practice and frustration.

The only "competitive technique" that's really been found in the game thusfar is fire-hopping, and even that is something that most GAF players seem to agree to never use.

The one piece of advice that I'll offer (and I slightly hesitate to do so because GAFcc is already tough enough as it is and this'll make people even better) would be to go into time trials and put a little time into beating the staff ghosts there. Doing that lets you test out your vehicle setups, most of the ghosts will demonstrate some pretty handy shortcuts and it allows you to practice finding your fundamental racing lines through each course. It's done wonders for me in learning how to navigate some of the trickier courses like Bowser's Castle and Bone-Dry Dunes, and when I jumped back into the GAF racing room last night I found myself faring much better.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck

Off-tv is basically unplayable for me after the system update. Terrible game breaking stuttering in both audio/video. Like the image and sound will freeze for seconds, only for me to find myself driving in the wrong direction or fallen of a ledge. Fuck this shit

Such a bummer :(

Dezzy

Is it just me, or does the CPU have much better luck getting items like the Lightning or Blue Shell?
I get hit by them almost every race, but I've literally never gotten the Lightning, and only one Blue Shell, ever. I did get the 8 a few times, but that's it.

WorldStar

Banned
Is it just me, or does the CPU have much better luck getting items like the Lightning or Blue Shell?
I get hit by them almost every race, but I've literally never gotten the Lightning, and only one Blue Shell, ever. I did get the 8 a few times, but that's it.

there are 11 CPUs and only 1 of you

so yeah, CPU should be getting it a lot more often than you

it also depends what place you are in. if you are playing against the CPU I doubt you are in some of the last positions

ohlawd

there's no point in trying to practice to get better at these GAF tourneys. at best, It should come naturally by watching how people race.

The tone of the match barring super intense bullshit (like getting blue shell'd or triple reds near the finish line) is set in the first ten seconds of the match.

take a look at RR64. After the first set of items, you better be first and hope you don't get hit by someone randomly aiming their green shell to get a hit or smacked by someone holding their banana backwards. If I get hit during this instant, I give up. I automatically give up and hope I do better than last. Because really, at this point your only chance of a comeback is when your opponent fucks up and falls off the track, runs into an item or getting hit by a surefire item like a red shell provided they aren't watching their back.

but ohlawd you can get lucky with a banana snipe or a bouncing green shell. And that's where I come in and smack you because fuck lag. It might work but in my experience, most people I do hit with a green shell or piranha plant or fire flower shrug it off.

but but but ohlawd you can get some sick turns hugging that corner. but fuck you because you're saving like half a second and the person in the lead is more than a few seconds ahead. You're not going to catch up that way. Give it up.

dammit ohlawd how about those boost items like a star or the mushrooms to cut across pieces of land. most of these "skips" don't even save that much time. The only track I could think of that hugely benefits from skipping curves is the end of Twisted Mansion, Dry Dry Desert. Not saying not to do them but don't expect a miracle.

and peeps, most people who do avoid the clusterfuck at the beginning of the game have an advantage in getting coins over the others. They're in the lead so they don't gotta worry about disappearing coins and shit. They're all there for them to take. There are no reasons to not collect coins. Most of them aren't out of the way so collect 'em, you get to unlock parts and they give a speed boost.

ohlawd you sound bitter as fuck. No, this is how I type on the net.

WorldStar

Banned
there's no point in trying to practice to get better at these GAF tourneys. at best, It should come naturally by watching how people race.

The tone of the match barring super intense bullshit (like getting blue shell'd or triple reds near the finish line) is set in the first ten seconds of the match.

take a look at RR64. After the first set of items, you better be first and hope you don't get hit by someone randomly aiming their green shell to get a hit or smacked by someone holding their banana backwards. If I get hit during this instant, I give up. I automatically give up and hope I do better than last. Because really, at this point your only chance of a comeback is when your opponent fucks up and falls off the track, runs into an item or getting hit by a surefire item like a red shell provided they aren't watching their back.

but ohlawd you can get lucky with a banana snipe or a bouncing green shell. And that's where I come in and smack you because fuck lag. It might work but in my experience, most people I do hit with a green shell or piranha plant or fire flower shrug it off.

but but but ohlawd you can get some sick turns hugging that corner. but fuck you because you're saving like half a second and the person in the lead is more than a few seconds ahead. You're not going to catch up that way. Give it up.

dammit ohlawd how about those boost items like a star or the mushrooms to cut across pieces of land. most of these "skips" don't even save that much time. The only track I could think of that hugely benefits from skipping curves is the end of Twisted Mansion, Dry Dry Desert. Not saying not to do them but don't expect a miracle.

and peeps, most people who do avoid the clusterfuck at the beginning of the game have an advantage in getting coins over the others. They're in the lead so they don't gotta worry about disappearing coins and shit. They're all there for them to take. There are no reasons to not collect coins. Most of them aren't out of the way so collect 'em, you get to unlock parts and they give a speed boost.

ohlawd you sound bitter as fuck. No, this is how I type on the net.

Salt.gif

RGVNOE

Hello gaf I'm running a tournament tonight and will give away a code to one of the free games to the winner. I already have the games available here so I have no use for the code. I'm from the US and have set it as a Regional tournament. The first 12 to quote my post will get the code to enter the tournament.

Tournament is 150cc normal race settings for 32 races.
Tournament runs from
8 - Midnight Eastern
7 - 11 Central
6 - 10 Mountain
5 - 9 Pacific

Good Luck gaf

I'm not sure if the codes work in Mexico and Canada so unless you're from there and are sure they work, lets try to keep it US only

Top Bottom