• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

ohlawd

Salt.gif

oh no, ohlawd snapped :(
lol I'm ALWAYS that guy getting hit at the start of races.

I've made it a point to not even start boost sometimes. Love the game tho and I hope it keeps selling and stuff.

MK bullshit is old hat anyway. I don't expect things to change and I don't want it to.

Spades

If you're running in 12th and more than a few seconds behind 11th, you should be guaranteed one of Lightning or Crazy 8 surely?

But no. Speed mushroom. Every time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lol I'm ALWAYS that guy getting hit at the start of races.

I've made it a point to not even start boost sometimes. Love the game tho and I hope it keeps selling and stuff.

MK bullshit is old hat anyway. I don't expect things to change and I don't want it to.

What you said is definitely true for RR64 atleast. I feel like that's the track I win on most consistently, as if you aggressively push people out of the way at the starting boost pads and cut that first corner closely, you gain a lead that is very hard to get around. Mushrooms don't really do a damn thing to help there, just leaves you open to get hit, and the track is too short to do much about it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I don't know wtf is going on, but every time I get bumped now my character slides like crazy. I haven't changed my vehicle setup so it's not related to that.

Girlfriend : "I'd rather give a blowjob than play rainbow road "

Me: okay let's do this

Getting a blowjob and placing 12th. Best race ever.

Roo

Hello gaf I'm running a tournament tonight and will give away a code to one of the free games to the winner. I already have the games available here so I have no use for the code. I'm from the US and have set it as a Regional tournament. The first 12 to quote my post will get the code to enter the tournament.

Tournament is 150cc normal race settings for 32 races.
Tournament runs from
8 - Midnight Eastern
7 - 11 Central
6 - 10 Mountain
5 - 9 Pacific

Good Luck gaf

I'm not sure if the codes work in Mexico and Canada so unless you're from there and are sure they work, lets try to keep it US only
Ehh sure why not :p
Even if I don't win it should be fun.

Azure J

The rivalry with Jeff so strong, our karts are hatefucking at the end of the race. :LOL

That said holy shit that 2nd place steal.

Hello gaf I'm running a tournament tonight and will give away a code to one of the free games to the winner. I already have the games available here so I have no use for the code. I'm from the US and have set it as a Regional tournament. The first 12 to quote my post will get the code to enter the tournament.

Tournament runs from
8 - Midnight Eastern
7 - 11 Central
6 - 10 Mountain
5 - 9 Pacific

Good Luck gaf

I'm not sure if the codes work in Mexico and Canada so unless you're from there and are sure they work, lets try to keep it US only

Yeah sure. Why not

Grizzo

So are all Wario mains as obnoxious as the character? :lol

I love him because he is gross and looks funny but I can assure you that I'm not as mean as him, haha

What does Wario say when you select him? I really can't unhear him saying "Sieg heil" but surely that can't be it.

oh my god that's what I keep hearing as well even though I know it can't be that

I wish I knew what he says. Maybe "zuper"? Like you know, with a strong german accent

Edit: It seems like he's saying "cheater" according to some people on reddit (but some of them think just like us)

Tournament runs from
8 - Midnight Eastern
7 - 11 Central
6 - 10 Mountain
5 - 9 Pacific

Good Luck gaf

I'll play :)

Doorman

I'll agree with ohlawd's mini-rant insomuch as starting position is definitely crucial for RR64. The issue is that the item balance in this game seems to favor "shortcut items" aka mushrooms and starman when you're in the lower places moreso than a bunch of pure attack items. It makes some sense in that if you're a skilled player that knows the course and knows the right shortcuts, on many tracks you can regain decent ground on the front of the pack.

A lot of the retro tracks, Mario Kart 64's in particular, don't really have designs that really play to this, though. On RR64 or Toad's Turnpike, getting a bunch of mushrooms is almost more a detriment than a boost thanks to the added risk of falling off/traffic, and there's nowhere on the course is there really an opportune time to use them. Most of the new courses are built with this in mind a lot moreso.

As for getting the coins, well, that's the benefit of being in the lead, it's another way to try and balance things after all the complaints in previous games about how hard maintaining a lead can be. It's made up for by the fact that you can't double-stock items anymore, and red shells can track over gaps and things now that they couldn't always handle before. I'd call it even.

Grizzo

I'll agree with ohlawd's mini-rant insomuch as starting position is definitely crucial for RR64. The issue is that the item balance in this game seems to favor "shortcut items" aka mushrooms and starman when you're in the lower places moreso than a bunch of pure attack items. It makes some sense in that if you're a skilled player that knows the course and knows the right shortcuts, on many tracks you can regain decent ground on the front of the pack.

A lot of the retro tracks, Mario Kart 64's in particular, don't really have designs that really play to this, though. On RR64 or Toad's Turnpike, getting a bunch of mushrooms is almost more a detriment than a boost thanks to the added risk of falling off/traffic, and there's nowhere on the course is there really an opportune time to use them. Most of the new courses are built with this in mind a lot moreso.

As for getting the coins, well, that's the benefit of being in the lead, it's another way to try and balance things after all the complaints in previous games about how hard maintaining a lead can be. It's made up for by the fact that you can't double-stock items anymore, and red shells can track over gaps and things now that they couldn't always handle before. I'd call it even.

I've always noticed that in every Rainbow Road in every Mario Kart ever, the item box tends to give you more turbo items than offensive items. I think the computer want us to fall.

I've always noticed that in every Rainbow Road in every Mario Kart ever, the item box tends to give you more turbo items than offensive items. I think the computer want us to fall.
Also, slipstreaming tends to always happen without you even trying to at the worst possible moments. :)

PedroRVD

Tournament runs from
8 - Midnight Eastern
7 - 11 Central
6 - 10 Mountain
5 - 9 Pacific

Good Luck gaf

Awesome man. I will join if it starts 11pm EST or later :)

Top Bottom