• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Saw some strange stuff last night...

-Almost infinite item selection spinner (seen this before)
-Green shells rocking somebody, they flip/flail, and are right back on their way losing NO ground (shouldn't be possible even with a mushroom boost after recovery
-Red shells gluing themselves to the back of their target for 3-5 seconds before actually striking them

And strangest of all, there was a guy who seemed to be out of sync with everybody else in the lobby by like 2-4 seconds. Twice I beat him soundly by 30-50 yards, yet the game put him ahead of me (video of one instance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7666MttzR1U)

I guess on his screen it probably looked like he won. But bizarre. Other instances of "incorrect" finishing positions involved VERY close finishes.

Anybody seen any of these things?

All that is lag. The game tries to hide and adjust it, like sometimes you see someone falling off a cliff and then coming back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got reded at the end there >_>

Would have been really close if not for that.

-Green shells rocking somebody, they flip/flail, and are right back on their way losing NO ground (shouldn't be possible even with a mushroom boost after recovery
-Red shells gluing themselves to the back of their target for 3-5 seconds before actually striking them

And strangest of all, there was a guy who seemed to be out of sync with everybody else in the lobby by like 2-4 seconds. Twice I beat him soundly by 30-50 yards, yet the game put him ahead of me (video of one instance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7666MttzR1U)

I guess on his screen it probably looked like he won. But bizarre. Other instances of "incorrect" finishing positions involved VERY close finishes.

This is all basically lag. Sometimes people will be hit by things on your end but not theirs, or be slightly further ahead on their end than yours. Same for red shells, I think it waits until it hits the player for it to actually do it on your end. So it might appear to be following right behind them briefly.

And now it's acting up and not wanting to let me rejoin...

Grakl

All that is lag. The game tries to hide and adjust it, like sometimes you see someone falling off a cliff and then coming back.

yep, it's always really funny (and somewhat frustrating!) to see a well-placed shell hit and the opponent keeps trucking along anyway

nintendo does a good job hiding lag, though

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
yep, it's always really funny (and somewhat frustrating!) to see a well-placed shell hit and the opponent keeps trucking along anyway

nintendo does a good job hiding lag, though

I've had a couple of perfect banana snipes that ended up "not counting" because they were slightly behind the person on their end. :(

Also had a few that did work though, so it's all good. Nothing feels as good as hitting your opponent with a banana, or getting it right in front of them so they can't avoid it.

Bumhat

Saw some strange stuff last night...

And strangest of all, there was a guy who seemed to be out of sync with everybody else in the lobby by like 2-4 seconds.

I've seen the red shell thing a couple of times and the 'out of sync' thing once. For the latter, I was racing 1v1 on RR8 and the other guy kept warping around, falling off but then magically appearing ahead of me, generally doing all manner of strange stuff. It's most likely down to lag, I think it's the same for the red shell issue when the game is trying to correctly show the position of moving items but it goes a bit wonky at times.

EDIT: refer to all the other posts above! Damn my slow phone typing speed :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, never done that before. Boosted and hit the very edge of the pillars around the shortcut and flew waaaay off course. That was funny, wish I had looked to see what it looked like on the map.

vixlar

My worst lag experience happened in Bowser Castle. When that giant bowser punched the floor, I fell to lava trough the waves it generated. It happened to me in all three laps.

Yesterday I couldn't manually stop the roulete. I had to wait to stop by itself. But only happened once.

I hate people who doesn't select a track in the lobby. Yesterday a guy was doing that. It is really irritating.

And I must say that in general the online in this game is fantastic. I can play for hours with no connection errors or such.

nateeasy

Banned
Considering picking up a wiiU for this. Whats the best controller for this? I'm thinking I would have to get some Pro Controllers.

Kalaidos

Neo Member
Oh man, I totally messed up exentryk's crazy eight. First stole the star, had to laugh and then fell down due to laughing. Rammed right back into him and set the bomb off.

I then proceeded to fall down everywhere due to laughing.

Spineker

Banned
I've found the subheading Nintendo can use for MK9:

tumblr_mzcjjdIclA1qi5gjzo1_500.gif

Exentryk

Oh man, I totally messed up exentryk's crazy eight. First stole the star, had to laugh and then fell down due to laughing. Rammed right back into him and set the bomb off.

I then proceeded to fall down everywhere due to laughing.

Lol. I didn't realise you had stolen the star and I usually just spam the 8. This time tho no star to save me from the bomb XD

Pro controller is perfect for this.
So I know the gold kart has the same stats as the circuit special but I went online last night with it and it seemed slower than the circuit special. Despite fact that I was still using slick wheels and mktv glider like I do on the circuit special.

-PXG-

Now that E3 has wrapped up, I'll be back on tonight. I have a big interview today after work. Starting to get the jitters. A cold brew and MK will do the trick when I get home.

Zemm

some changes I'd like to see:

* reverse maps for ranked matches and created rooms
* random means all maps, not just the ones on the screen
* remove triple shells
* more weapons and less coins/bananas for 2nd place

It's far too easy for whoever gets a banana or shell at the start to just sit in first place with a banana or shell because 2nd place gets so few weapons, then 2nd gets taken out by a red shell and 1st just runs off, happens almost every race.

No idea if that would balance the game whilst keeping it "random" enough but it looks good in my head. I'm constantly seeing 2nd place try to chase down 1st with only coins and bananas then getting snipped themselves and 1st having the easiest race ever. All they need is one banana and it shouldn't be that easy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question: Are the unlockables purely cosmetic, or do some of them actually improve your kart?

Hit + on the part selection screen and you can see the difference between them. A lot of bodies are cosmetic, most wheels aren't, and most gliders are.

Disconnected. Break time I guess.

Roo

My worst lag experience happened in Bowser Castle. When that giant bowser punched the floor, I fell to lava trough the waves it generated. It happened to me in all three laps.

Yesterday I couldn't manually stop the roulete. I had to wait to stop by itself. But only happened once.

That's not lag.
That my friend.. is a glitch.
And yeah, it happened to me in all three laps as well.. it's pretty frustating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_8ej-IIrZM (@ :28)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx78kYMUBzM

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I'd never seen that before in all the times I've played that track. Now that I've seen it, it is probably going to happen to me next time I play it.

oatmeal

Banned
Ugh. Something is wrong with this game and my Wii U.

I can't quit the game and go to the Wii U Menu without my system freezing. Freezes every single time on the Wii U Menu load screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I think rubber banding is 100% gone, but they use items to keep you close. I'm doing 150cc first try and getting three stars...doing Mirror'd cup now and if you race clean lines and keep defense, you're almost guaranteed first. Lighting and blue shell are the only things that can fuck you, but you can get a big enough lead where they don't affect you too bad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There is definitely rubber banding, without question. I've had several situations where the rubber banding was the only reason races got competitive, the AI had to come back from half a lap down or so.

Also, Mirror Mode has an easier AI than 150cc even though both are the same speed. Not 100% sure, but I'd guess 50cc uses easy AI, 100cc and Mirror Mode use normal AI, and 150cc uses hard AI.

And item use is definitely lame. I had multiple occasions where I'd get smashed by a blue shell at the very end of a race Ied from start to near-finish only to have my "rival" zip by me (while everyone else was still way behind). Other times they would use dirty tactics like ramming into me with triple mushrooms boosting me off an edge, or a heavy character pushing me into a banana/shell/other character's dragged item.

oatmeal

Banned
There is definitely rubber banding, without question. I've had several situations where the rubber banding was the only reason races got competitive, the AI had to come back from half a lap down or so.

Also, Mirror Mode has an easier AI than 150cc even though both are the same speed. Not 100% sure, but I'd guess 50cc uses easy AI, 100cc and Mirror Mode use normal AI, and 150cc uses hard AI.

And item use is definitely lame. I had multiple occasions where I'd get smashed by a blue shell at the very end of a race Ied from start to near-finish only to have my "rival" zip by me (while everyone else was still way behind). Other times they would use dirty tactics like ramming into me with triple mushrooms boosting me off an edge, or a heavy character pushing me into a banana/shell/other character's dragged item.

I don't know, I've lapped people in 150cc and if I race well, I can get a 5-10 second lead on them. The only way they catch up is when I fuck up, or a big item gets me. Compared to older titles, it doesn't feel like they are boosting up out of nowhere. They do seem to draft boost a lot quicker than I am able to (meaning the time it takes them to get a full boost).

Top Bottom