• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT2| I'm using tilt controls!

Zemm

You know they should add a 'behind cam' view on the gamepad, that would be pretty sweet. It's kind of hard to look behind when using the gamepad buttons.

Dr Prob

Banned
I like when you guys try to use karts :D

Anyway, I saw your post on the other board Ex; it isn't necessarily a matter of more mini-turbos, but opportunities for stronger ones.

In a time trial scenario (leave hopping out of it for now), karts will always be faster in this game because they can charge up reds.

In a tourney or worldwide, inside drifting bikes are plenty viable because you don't have to worry so much about actually driving--lines, set-ups etc. The inside drift takes care of much of that for you, and because of that you're not hindered as much by traps.

Karts are more fun though. GGs everyone.

Exentryk

Anyway, I saw your post on the other board Ex; it isn't necessarily a matter of more mini-turbos, but opportunities for stronger ones.

In a time trial scenario (leave hopping out of it for now), karts will always be faster in this game because they can charge up reds.

In a tourney or worldwide, inside drifting bikes are plenty viable because you don't have to worry so much about actually driving--lines, set-ups etc. The inside drift takes care of much of that for you, and because of that you're not hindered as much by traps.

Yeah, that's what I meant with MTs. Gonna stick with karts for now, even if it takes me months to learn outside drifting. It's like a fresh start on MK8, and it feels fun :D

My internet died as I was updating my Wii U in order to play MK8 online. 5 days later I can finally get stuck in. Single player just doesn't do it.
I would kill actual living, live people for an adventure mode in the style of Diddy Kong Racing.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
All right, I'm done. Good games. Need to practice more with karts.

You can charge up reds with bikes in this game. You couldn't in MKWii, but you can here. But yeah, it's much easier to consistently get a good line with an inward-drift bike.

I'm okay with karts--I DID manage to beat you a few times with them. But I'm inconsistent with them, and that's the problem.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I believe he means it's easier to get a super mini-turbo with outward drifting, not that it can't be done with inward drifting.
Oh, does he? I didn't really notice too much of a difference there. Haven't really used karts enough to see for sure, though.

EDIT: Okay, after testing it in Time Trials, I see what you're saying. Doesn't seem to be a huge number of corners that that's applicable to, though. Think the higher Speed rating and fire-hopping both make a bigger difference. That said, a miniscule difference is still a difference in Time Trials.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This sums up my experience well enough.

Making mistakes, yes. But being item owned can happen to anybody, and I have made comebacks from last to first because of the butterfly effect and the general random nature of the universe

Burning Justice

the superior princess
...After playing Time Trials for about half an hour, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in my performance with karts and bikes after all, at least not in MK Stadium. Right now I'm about 6-7 seconds off of the world record with both (without fire-hopping). I'm a bit more consistent with bikes, but my best time so far (1:44.554) was set with a kart.

There are a few courses I need to practice with karts, though. MK Stadium was not one of them.

Zemm

The replay feature is awful isn't it? I wanted to get a replay of me leading the race for the whole 3 laps only to get hit by 3 red shells literally on the final corner and end up 3rd and it shows nothing apart from me tumbling over after a hit.

Awful might be too harsh, but it's more miss than hit everytime I want to use it.

SeanR1221

I've decided this is my favorite MK ever. Everything from the tracks, to the music to the weapons balance seems on point.

I'm glad too because I really didn't like the Wii version.

Giving up on trying to 3 gold star all cups, cpu is so unfair its ridiculous and to the point of it not being fun. Im at the point where I dont even want to play the game anymore.

Liethe

8 is much better with the items than Wii or 7 was. But you will still get combo'd like crazy and you will still get screwed over which sometimes makes it hard to appreciate that.
Better than Wii or 7 is pretty much all you could ask for. Getting comboed and screwed over is synonymous with "Mario Kart". Plenty other racing games where that stuff doesn't happen.

DaBoss

I think 7 was better in terms of item balancing. Wii was absolute BS, no doubt about that. Item distribution in 8 is just whack along with how hyper offensive and the range the items have. Then there is the frequency of the coin item.

Changes to existing items is what MK8 does best (blue shell knockback), what it brings is something I'm not a fan of.
Is there a bug in Bowser Castle, specifically on the wavy roadway with the punching Bowser statue? I keep falling through the floor.
Yes there is.

BratmanDu

I want in on some of this mk8 action - I have precisely zero nintendo friends :-( Requested to be added to the DB, sounds like there's all sorts of fun goin on here.

Cat Party

I want in on some of this mk8 action - I have precisely zero nintendo friends :-( Requested to be added to the DB, sounds like there's all sorts of fun goin on here.
Join the tournament. You don't need to have friends added. Quote the OP to reveal the tournament codes.

DaBoss

Ah, I see, I'll try that, forgive my ignorance but what is race/frantic/gafvgaf - different tournaments?
GAF Races are where most people usually are. Just normal 150cc races.

Frantic Races is like Mario Kart Wii level of item balance and requires you to co-ordinate with other people to get a room up.

GAF v GAF is some sort of blues vs reds thing that I don't really know much about. You're probably better off not adding this.

Top Bottom