• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

DaBoss

ctr3aymj_dl2bsmj.png

Developer: AlphaDream
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Modes: Single-player
eShop: Yes
Demo: Only available for NA (12 uses)
Size: 849MB (6792 Blocks)
Release Dates:
Europe: July 12th 2013
Australia: July 13th 2013
Japan: July 18th 2013
North America: August 11th 2013
palboxartd5s1p.png
japboxart2msqk.png
naboxartjfuik.png

One day in the Mushroom Kingdom, a letter arrives from a mysterious Dr Snoozemore, inviting Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach to Pi'illo Island. A free holiday, being offered to our heroes by a complete stranger? What could possibly go wrong?

Soon enough, the gang arrive on Pi'illo Island, although strangely, there's no appearance from the elusive Dr Snoozemore. While sightseeing, the gang discovers that Luigi has a special talent. When he sleeps on a stone pillow from the island, a magical portal to the dream world appears! Unfortunately, Princess Peach is abruptly sucked into this dream world by an unknown assailant...

It turns out that the stone pillows are actually trapped Pi'illo folk, who were encased in their stony prisons by the evil Bat King, Antasma. Mario must now navigate his way between the dream world and the real world, rescuing the Pi'illo folk and hopefully finding Peach in the process. It's his toughest challenge yet - can Mario & Luigi save Peach?

ml_offcjjst89jfs.png
Mario and Luigi
The Dream Team (Bros.) are the main stars of the game, with Luigi getting an even more prominent role since he is the master of his own dreams and is on the bottom screen at all times during the dream sequences
ys_offbjk2m.png
Starlow
Starlow is back as the helper for Mario and Luigi. She now has a new role which involves her being on the bottom screen and mess with Luigi while he is sleeping to cause actions to occur in his dreams.
pc_offrfkjwpwkvx.png
Princess Peach
The Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom is kidnapped yet again, but this time she gets sucked into Luigi's dream by Antasma.
ak_off8mkqo.png
Antasma
Antasma is the main antagonist of this game. He is a vampirish being with the ability to turn into a bat.
kp_offmokda.png
Bowser
What's a Mario and Luigi game without Bowser showing up? Not a Mario and Luigi game of course. The King of Koopas is back and seems to want to kidnap Peach yet again. In some scenes, it shows Bowser teaming up with Antasma, will this lead to Bowser succeeding in his goal of defeating Mario?
piilosicu9m.png
Pi'illos
Pi'illos are the ancient species of Pi'illo Island. Their heads are the shape of a pillow. It also seems their designs match a specific pillow. Dreambert, which is the Pi'illo all theway on the left is the leader of the Pi'illos.
brk_off3buv4m5kgo.png
brd_offirueqadjrl.png
Brocks
The block people are the natives of Pi'illo Island.

Videos

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Teaser Trailer

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team E3 Trailer

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. Gameplay Trailer

Mario & Luigi RPG 4: Dream Adventure Gameplay Video (Japan)

Mario & Luigi RPG4: Dream Adventure Commercial (Japan)

Images

Wallpapers

Special Edition 3DS

Japan gets a special edition 3DS with a bunch of Luigis (and one Mario) covering it. Click image for details.

Review Thread
Official Nintendo Magazine - 92%
EDGE - 7/10
GamePro Germany - 75%
InsideGamer - 80%
Eurogamer - 7/10
IGN UK - 8/10
NintendoWorldReport - 9/10
NintendoLife - 9/10
GameSpot - 8/10
GamesRadar - 4/5
CVG - 8/10
Digital Spy - 4/5
Cubed3 - 9/10
GameXplain - 4.5/5
Destructoid - 6.5/10
USgamer - 3/5
Kotaku - Yes
Joystiq - 3.5/5

Metacritic

-----
Iwata Asks: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

-----
Sorry for posting this late (please understand). For Google Chrome users, here is your LSD. Click on the headers for an animated version of them. Thanks to BroBuzz for the idea of the OT subtitle. Enjoy the game everyone.​

Het_Nkik

I have this pre-ordered. But I still won't be playing the game till August because I don't know any Japanese. I just love me some Luigi and wanted a system to play some Japanese games on.

I'm an hour into the game and aside from the unsurprisingly slow beginning it's really promising. The music especially is just wonderful.

Avixph

OP why did you make the title Dream Team Bros. And not just Dream Team? You could have had a global thread.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wanted to say the game, here in Europe, is priced at 39.99, the same as Donkey Kong, Pokémon and Animal Crossing recently. I'm wondering if US will get it at 34.99 (which is the price all these titles got in the territory). When did we know for sure AC was going to be at 34.99?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will probably get this, looks amazing, even though all I do is play Animal Crossing on that thing anyway these days.

Too many games on my 3DS!

And congrats on the OT, slick banner!

chrono01

Incredible OT, thanks!

It's a shame North America isn't getting that 3DS XL, though. It's the Year of Luigi and everything. :(

I'm looking forward to Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, though!

I'm like 5 hours in. Just beat (semi-early boss spoiler)
Bowser with Antasma powers
. I really liked that boss fight, not all that easy either.

- I'm really glad the hand holding and tutorials have seemingly vanished by this point.
- Music is awesome obviously.
- Badges now have cooler effects than the previous game, looking forward to getting more of those.
- Dream world battles are very fun, and a good replacement for the Bowser battles of BiS.

That's mostly it for now I guess. Having a lot of fun.

wrowa

I'm an hour into the game and aside from the unsurprisingly slow beginning it's really promising. The music especially is just wonderful.

I actually didn't have any issues with the beginning. Thought it was quite charming and well-made, also quite content-packed for a tutorial.

However, it feels like every time Starlow opens her mouth she's explaining something. Drives me insane and makes me hate her, even though she's got her moments. This game made me realize that I absolutely prefer tutorial text boxes over a character that explains you stuff... At least I only grow to hate some boxes with the first option and not one of the game's more important characters.

wrowa

OP why did you make the title Dream Team Bros. And not just Dream Team? You could have had a global thread.

Why would the US title make it a global thread? The game has different names in each region, so why would one of them get a preferred treatment?

CronoShot

I don't mind the delay for NA. It's actually better, since I'll have time to play SMTIV and then be able to focus on Dream Team.

wrowa

Because one of them is good, and the other of them is garbage.

*shrug* I think Dream Team Bros. fits the tone of the game better than Dream Team, but that's just me.

Also, it's three titles. It's called Mario & Luigi 4 Dream Adventure in Japan. :p

javac

Been loving it so far. Great graphics and a cool soundtrack. Very funny dialogue and a unique story all wrapped into one little game. Only thing pissing me off is my inability to dodge attacks lol.

Frost_Ace

Basically this.
I HATE EUROPE

You guys are getting SMTIV shaddup ;__;

Been loving it so far. Great graphics and a cool soundtrack. Very funny dialogue and a unique story all wrapped into one little game. Only thing pissing me off is my inability to dodge attacks lol.
EDIT: read the post wrong D:

I HATE EUROPE

Sorry, we're all too busy having fun with Dream Team Bros. to care.

Just finished
Mushrise gardens
and this game is definitely in the running for my favourite M&L game so far.Might be a bit premature to say, so hopefully it keeps it up.

The one thing I am sure of though, is that the music is hands down miles better than the other M&L games

eXistor

Nice OT! I'm about 5 hours in myself and I have to say I wasn't exactly blown away the first 2-3. Excessive handholding, no freedom whatsoever and tutorials up the wazoo. After that though the game opens up and it gets real, real good. I'm sure you're gonna be hearing this a lot, but the music and visuals are amazing, very pleasing.

Top Bottom