• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Kouriozan

My post from the other thread, contains some "late-early" game spoiler.
So I'm about 6 hours in and I can safely say that this game is better than BIS.

!! SPOILER !!
That dream world section just before you save Peach OMG!! And Luigi talked! Dat music! Just WOW, THIS GAME!
That Bowser fight was awesome too, notice how he use his BIS moves, enhanced by the bat guy just like how Luigi makes Mario stronger.

This game is really wondeful, I'm enjoying and taking my time to complete all the challenge before moving to the next zone.

Doopliss

My post from the other thread, contains some "late-early" game spoiler.
Yeah that dream sequence after exploring the park was amazing. The only thing I was expecting from being in Luigi's dreams was an opportunity to poke his face in various ways in order to help Mario platform around the 2D levels, but they've been way more creative than that.

Shahadan

All these arrows in the game are offensive >(

Nintendo your screens are not that big, I can see when something happens on the other screen without you telling me with big arrows. I can also tell I have to climb when I'm starting at the bottom of a pit, thank you.

daakusedo

Is there some photoshop expert here who could explain the best way to reproduce those artworks? I'm talking of the texture effect especially.

I'm like 8.5 hours in, just got to (known area)
Wakeport
. Shit just got amazing. Ran into two familiar characters:
Popple from SS
and
Kylie Koopa from PiT(the reporter girl)
. Plus there's a cool easter egg
In Kylie's house. There's a Shroob picture halfway up the stairs.

BTW, I did NOT expect (boss fight spoiler)
Huge Luigi fight. That was a lot of fun and it looked absolutely amazing. It plays similar to the big Bowser fights in BiS but IMO more fun.

Just got to the "main city area" and it is HUGE. Bigger than any main area from the previous games.

FryHole

This is a bit weird.

I've tried and to a certain extent failed to get into this series - I've played the previous three and got partway through each without any of them clicking. Haven't managed to complete any of them.

This, though, has clicked right from the off. Even though it's not that different in terms of mechanics, I'm really enjoying it. Even the intro/tutorial didn't annoy me as much as I expected, and I'm not sure why this one has succeeded where the others didn't. Partly I love the dream world psychedelia, partly the music is AMAZING, but the only other thing I can put my finger on, oddly, is the 3D effect - it's incredibly immersive, and a real example (for me) where the 3DS's gimmick has enhanced a game. Perhaps I'm shallower than I thought and it's winning me over through sheer prettiness.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT! I'm also really surprised at how big the game is...

Also, anyone who's pre-ordered from GAME will get 2 keychains as a bonus. They're pretty cute.
mc2yjRJ.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
...the only other thing I can put my finger on, oddly, is the 3D effect - it's incredibly immersive, and a real example (for me) where the 3DS's gimmick has enhanced a game. Perhaps I'm shallower than I thought and it's winning me over through sheer prettiness.
I don't think that's being shallow. The same applies to me. (Heh, I wonder why I don't think it's shallow :p)

The 3D effect has encouraged me to play all sorts of genres I never would have used to - and it's not particularly because of the pretty graphics because in 2D the graphics of a lot of these games leave a lot to be desired and are not as good as Wii games. But yet I passed over so much on the Wii and yet have given almost everything a chance on the 3DS. Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem for example. I feel like I'm really "in" the 3D worlds they portray.

It's hard to explain, but it makes it just that little bit harder for me to "pull myself out of the moment", to realise it's just a game, where normally I would be constantly being distracted by thoughts or the real world.

FryHole

I don't think that's being shallow. The same applies to me. (Heh, I wonder why I don't think it's shallow :p)

The 3D effect has encouraged me to play all sorts of genres I never would have used to - and it's not particularly because of the pretty graphics because in 2D the graphics of a lot of these games leave a lot to be desired and are not as good as Wii games. But yet I passed over so much on the Wii and yet have given almost everything a chance on the 3DS. Animal Crossing, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem for example. I feel like I'm really "in" the 3D worlds they portray.

It's hard to explain, but it makes it just that little bit harder for me to "pull myself out of the moment", to realise it's just a game, where normally I would be constantly being distracted by thoughts or the real world.

Fully agree. Luigi's Mansion 2 is the king of this kind of immersive feeling. Also re Dream Team - something as simple as the 3D blocks transition to the battle screen looks terrific.

The first couple hours are slow, but after all the tutorials, when you get full control, man the feeling is incredible. Every 30 minutes there's something new. There is a lot of variety in combats and exploration. Dream World is a bit disturbing, though.

SeZMehK

Damn I want to stay here and talk about the game but I want to avoid the spoilers. Plus I hate Europe for getting this game early. So I'll just stay out of this ot until it is out in Na. Lol.

ffdgh

The first couple hours are slow, but after all the tutorials, when you get full control, man the feeling is incredible. Every 30 minutes there's something new. There is a lot of variety in combats and exploration. Dream World is a bit disturbing, though.

Sounds smooth bro.
lol

nyarla

Neo Member
Going to go look for a copy tomorrow morning if I can stop myself buying the eShop version at midnight. It's ten thirty pm here now! D: I'm excited, game looks lush.

A quick heads up for anyone thinking of buying this directly from the Nintendo eShop, if you buy it from GAME you can save £5 on the download. Downloading it now, so excited :D

Shahadan

Must...kill...stupid designers...

The game is on the verge of playing itself at times, it's beyond annoying for me. Just shut up and don't show me everything on top of DOING things I should be doing myself. FFS.

I'm guessing I'll lose my temper and sell this game before finishing it soon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Part of me thinks i should wait because i still have a big backlog on 3ds due to the more games promo. But then Nintendo games don't usually drop in price plus i live the M&L games

Hopefully the game has arrived to my work's mail room. I'm leaving to the end of the day otherwise I'll be checking every hour and looking like a loon haha.

My girlfriend is out for the whole day tomorrow so it would be a perfect day to start it. Come on you flubit!

Oxx

Part of me thinks i should wait because i still have a big backlog on 3ds due to the more games promo. But then Nintendo games don't usually drop in price plus i live the M&L games

Donkey Kong
Luigi's Mansion 2
M&L 4

...all just sitting on the shelf while I run around with turnips in Animal Crossing.

TrueBlue

Must...kill...stupid designers...

The game is on the verge of playing itself at times, it's beyond annoying for me. Just shut up and don't show me everything on top of DOING things I should be doing myself. FFS.

I'm guessing I'll lose my temper and sell this game before finishing it soon.

Keep calm. How far are you into it?

Krelian

Mine arrived yesterday but I didn't get a chance to pick it up from the post office. This is my first M&L game. I have kinda high hopes for it after Paper Mario departed from its RPG roots.

Shahadan

Keep calm. How far are you into it?

I'm at the end of the Desert level. I know that between tutorials you sometimes get to actually play, but since the game introduces something new very often, I'm too often annoyed by the handholding. I never thought I'd see a downside to that.
That and the useless dialogue in almost every screen.

Otherwise yes the game is full of ideas and fun, but I can't actually have fun that way. I feel like I'm running and being stopped by passerbys every ten meters. Or finding a fly in every three bites of delicious lasagna. Or something.

Also while fondling Luigi must be a dream come true for some people, it's rather useless since all actions are contextual and could have been mapped to a single button.

Having just purchased Bowser's Inside Story for my DS (and really enjoying it), and then reading the impressions in this thread, this will be one of the first 3DS titles I grab when I get round to purchasing the system!

Mistle

Fully agree. Luigi's Mansion 2 is the king of this kind of immersive feeling. Also re Dream Team - something as simple as the 3D blocks transition to the battle screen looks terrific.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is stunning in 3D, I truly get pulled into that game.

Top Bottom