• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 24/25 Earnings Release: Hardware 2.10m LTD 143.42m. PM:TTYD 1.76m, LM2HD 1.19m

By this point is safe to say that Nintendo Switch is likely going to become the best selling console of all time.

y49kFqA.jpeg

PS2 is likely going to gain ground fiscal year after fiscal year from here on but not enough to cover the whole difference which stands at about 25M now).
What set apart NSW from NDS is the former has markedly more longevity.
I think it's going to be harder than people think. Just like they thought DS was on lock to pass the PS2.

So far the Switch is down this year by ~42% compared to the same period last year. If that continues, Switch will sell 9.75M for the year, hitting 149.1M. Even if there are no steeper drops next year, and there will be with the announcement and launch of the B/C Switch 2, 2025 would end with a total of 5.66M units sold, 155M.1M LTD. In 2026, Switch will be dead.

Robb

Gold Member
So far the Switch is down this year by ~42% compared to the same period last year. If that continues
That’d be very surprising. They’ve been on a steady decline since the 2021/22 peak. The only reason they’re down by this much now is because they had an astonishing Q1 last year and actually managed to break the trend for Q1 2023/24.

What we’re seeing now is just the expected, continued, decline. Which I would assume is why their 13.5M sales estimates are unchanged.

Last edited:

Kabelly

But it's not like the traditional board game. It's a mini game rush mode. It's similar to this, but 20 players

We don't know the full modes yet, and that still sounds fun. I'm sure they'all also have the full boards for play as well (most likely not 20 players).

It works really well in Mario Party Superstars. It would be a dumb move to retract that feature.

Regardless of the 20 players portion I still think the game will sell extremely well at launch. Superstars is fun but since they're all mini games from past games it does get a bit boring. It's brand new game that hopefully fixes the issues of Super Mario Party with a larger install base. It's gonna be a smash.

I also watch a bit of gameplay from that 3DS video you posted and it's similar but in Jamboree it seems you can have 20 players on the field during certain mini games. I honestly think they're gonna take inspiration from Fall Guys.

It looks like there is an 8 player mode as well.

Woopah

I couldn’t agree more! Yo!

If there was a 3rd party surprise still to come for this holiday we could discuss. Say COD Black Ops 1&2. Or whatever. Just using this as an example. That could cause an uptick in sales slightly.

I personally think Switch Lite should be $149 w/ a free older game.

Switch Oled should be $249 or $299 with a game and OG Switch should be phased out immediately.

I also think Nintendo Selects should come back. I know the argument against it. But if they sold old games for $29.99-$39.99; it is fair. Especially if Switch 2 is BC and next gen updates are NOT FREE. I do not believe they will be free. Btw.

Something to consider
Yes I think a $179 Lite and a $299 OLED, plus Nintendo Selects and heavy bundling, will be required to hit their hardware target.

Yes I think a $179 Lite and a $299 OLED, plus Nintendo Selects and heavy bundling, will be required to hit their hardware target.
I agree, except I go $149-$159 for the Lite.

Personally, I would have looked to see a Switch Lite OLED emerge and completely phase out regular Switch and Switch OLED so they could have Switch Lite OLED exist at same time as Switch 2.

Woopah

I agree, except I go $149-$159 for the Lite.

Personally, I would have looked to see a Switch Lite OLED emerge and completely phase out regular Switch and Switch OLED so they could have Switch Lite OLED exist at same time as Switch 2.
I get the logic, but I don't see a Switch Lite OLED happening given that its supposed to be the budget model.

nordique

A half potable console that can easily be more than one per family sells more than a traditional one!
57DB87E84D632AC35156BEF1994DA6DD3BBF3C30
Ah yes.

you mean the traditional console that was also the most affordable dvd player when it released? And had multiple revisions and was on the market for 15 years? Sold 40+ million after the generation was over by offering it at in developing nations? And received key price cuts throughout its life cycle?

Goal posts can be as imaginative and movable as you want

Or, you could just give credit where it’s due!

I get the logic, but I don't see a Switch Lite OLED happening given that its supposed to be the budget model.
I agree. The logic would have been to completely phase out OG Switch and Switch OLED. Allowing late adopters to get a budget priced model, while introducing the $399 or $499 Switch 2.

Switch Lite OLED would have been a late 2023 or early 2024 product if it was real.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think it's going to be harder than people think. Just like they thought DS was on lock to pass the PS2.

So far the Switch is down this year by ~42% compared to the same period last year. If that continues, Switch will sell 9.75M for the year, hitting 149.1M. Even if there are no steeper drops next year, and there will be with the announcement and launch of the B/C Switch 2, 2025 would end with a total of 5.66M units sold, 155M.1M LTD. In 2026, Switch will be dead.
holiday sale i am known for my perdictions

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 by Monolith Soft, even if kinda meh, has very low sales for what is probably Nintendo's best studio. I don't think it's concerning given that they have teams helping a lot on EPD's projects, but it just feels sad to see.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a disappointment compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Yes the second game has alot of flaws in the gameplay department but I love the story and characters. XC3 DLC Future Redeemed was fantastic. I wish it was longer and it's what XC3 should have been. I love XC3 but I found most of the characters cookie cutter and I only remember the twists. What XC3 does better than XC2 is the gameplay

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I had the choice of starting BOTW or TOTK for first time. Will play only one due to same map.

Went with BOTW after careful consideration. Just one comment here did it for me. TOTK gets rid of survival elements cause you can go anywhere you want. Didn’t sound like it has the exploration of BOTW.

Maybe will give TOTK a shot after few years when I have forgotten BOTW map.
To me, they both play differently, I mean, you can play TOTK as you do BOTW but then you'd be removed from all the actual experience...

Astral Dog

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a disappointment compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Yes the second game has alot of flaws in the gameplay department but I love the story and characters. XC3 DLC Future Redeemed was fantastic. I wish it was longer and it's what XC3 should have been. I love XC3 but I found most of the characters cookie cutter and I only remember the twists. What XC3 does better than XC2 is the gameplay
I haven't played Xenoblade 3 (these games are massive, finished X ,Torna and Xenoblade 1,currently playing 2), but i watched the whole story on Youtube, my impression is that the writting is dry and uninspired, like the characters are mere philosopy 101 and didn't talked like actual human beings didn't have charming personalities

I thought it was like a lesser version of the story in Xenoblade 1

Xenoblade 2 i didn't played it at the time because i heard complains about the visuals in portable mode, but overall its something original and unique,i like the humor and characters so far

I haven't played Xenoblade 3 (these games are massive, finished X ,Torna and Xenoblade 1,currently playing 2), but i watched the whole story on Youtube, my impression is that the writting is dry and uninspired, like the characters are mere philosopy 101 and didn't talked like actual human beings didn't have charming personalities

I thought it was like a lesser version of the story in Xenoblade 1

Xenoblade 2 i didn't played it at the time because i heard complains about the visuals in portable mode, but overall its something original and unique,i like the humor and characters so far

XC3 other advantage over XC2 is that they really made sure the game would run on both docked and portable mode. But to this day I still remember XC2 Characters and Story way more. Also I all the character designs in that game is memorable. I feel lot of character designs in XC3 is more bland compared to XC2

NanaMiku

We don't know the full modes yet, and that still sounds fun. I'm sure they'all also have the full boards for play as well (most likely not 20 players).

It works really well in Mario Party Superstars. It would be a dumb move to retract that feature.

Regardless of the 20 players portion I still think the game will sell extremely well at launch. Superstars is fun but since they're all mini games from past games it does get a bit boring. It's brand new game that hopefully fixes the issues of Super Mario Party with a larger install base. It's gonna be a smash.

I also watch a bit of gameplay from that 3DS video you posted and it's similar but in Jamboree it seems you can have 20 players on the field during certain mini games. I honestly think they're gonna take inspiration from Fall Guys.

It looks like there is an 8 player mode as well.
Still no detail, but the name is koopathlon, similar to cointhlon. The clip is pretty similar too.

The 8 player mode seems an expansion from the rhythm game mode in Super Mario Party. There's also the weird flying device clip.

NanaMiku

I think the problem with Xenoblade 3 is trying to be the sequel to 1 and 2. It also suffers from too many antagonists (the Moebius alphabet).

XC3 other advantage over XC2 is that they really made sure the game would run on both docked and portable mode. But to this day I still remember XC2 Characters and Story way more. Also I all the character designs in that game is memorable. I feel lot of character designs in XC3 is more bland compared to XC2
Monolith Soft always takes their criticism seriously lol. Xenoblade X was criticized because the text is hard to read. Xenoblade 2 has really big fonts. Xenoblade 2 got flak because of the character design, that is why Xenoblade 3's character design is more modest.

pasterpl

Nintendo is just one price drop away from going over 160mln units - Switch - what a beast (I am still very happy with my switch OLED). LTD software sales are also crazy when you realise that most games had usually low dev cost due to being remakes etc. and most of the best sellers are Nintendo games.

Last edited:
Reactions: KU_
I think the problem with Xenoblade 3 is trying to be the sequel to 1 and 2. It also suffers from too many antagonists (the Moebius alphabet).

Yeah the whole alphabet soup gang being the main villains made me roll my eyes lol

Monolith Soft always takes their criticism seriously lol. Xenoblade X was criticized because the text is hard to read. Xenoblade 2 has really big fonts. Xenoblade 2 got flak because of the character design, that is why Xenoblade 3's character design is more modest.

Oh I know, they shouldn't have listen to the screeching from certain groups of people about the character designs from XC2. Really made that aspect of XC3 to be extremely cookie cutter

XC2 has issues I admit but I like the game way more than XC3

Last edited:

Three

Ah yes.

you mean the traditional console that was also the most affordable dvd player when it released? And had multiple revisions and was on the market for 15 years? Sold 40+ million after the generation was over by offering it at in developing nations? And received key price cuts throughout its life cycle?

Goal posts can be as imaginative and movable as you want

Or, you could just give credit where it’s due!
The whole thing is arbitrary but I do think the DS and Wii combo was more impressive of Nintendo. They were selling 10s of millions of both. In the end they consolidated those audiences with the Switch. The Switch Lite (which is purely handheld only) accounts for 24M sales of the Switch total. Think about that, that's not too far xbox series sales on its own. If people were being honest they would categorise that differently as a handheld but at the end of the day it's all arbitrary nonsense, what's actually important is that they all play the same developed games. So the importance of the install base is there. With the end of generations (crossgen and forwards compatibility) you could start doing the same for xbox or PS too though and it starts to get muddy.

Last edited:

Woopah

The whole thing is arbitrary but I do think the DS and Wii combo was more impressive of Nintendo. They were selling 10s of millions of both. In the end they consolidated those audiences with the Switch. The Switch Lite (which is purely handheld only) accounts for 24M sales of the Switch total. Think about that, that's not too far xbox series sales on its own. If people were being honest they would categorise that differently as a handheld but at the end of the day it's all arbitrary nonsense, what's actually important is that they all play the same developed games. So the importance of the install base is there. With the end of generations (crossgen and forwards compatibility) you could start doing the same for xbox or PS too though and it starts to get muddy.
In general, all SKUs from a system have always been combined when calculating sales.

So for example, Vita TV numbers were combined with the Vita, even though it wasn't a handheld. Obviously the scale is very different but the principle is the same.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Regarding information in general, one could say reports to SEC are the top priority regarding truth because they are giving information to the government, then earning calls because they are giving information to the shareholders, and then press statements. Jim could have just been rounding up numbers.

Your assumption that the PS2 just stopped selling all of a sudden because the didn't list the numbers to shareholders is funny. It'd be like saying the Xbox Series console sold no units last quarter LOL!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Your assumption that the PS2 just stopped selling all of a sudden because the didn't list the numbers to shareholders is funny. It'd be like saying the Xbox Series console sold no units last quarter LOL!
Keep the excuses up. The PS2 hasn't been surpassed yet, so you can relax your inner fanboy.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Never assumed that, I just said that in order of priority regarding statement truth (or liabilities in case of false statements) it goes SEC, then investor calls, then press. You lie to SEC, you might go to prison. You lie to investors, you are sacked. You lie to the press, life goes on. I guess the government or the shareholders might be interested if they are hiding 5 million of sales down the rug.

Woopah

Keep the excuses up. The PS2 hasn't been surpassed yet, so you can relax your inner fanboy.
What is the excuse here?
Never assumed that, I just said that in order of priority regarding statement truth (or liabilities in case of false statements) it goes SEC, then investor calls, then press. You lie to SEC, you might go to prison. You lie to investors, you are sacked. You lie to the press, life goes on. I guess the government or the shareholders might be interested if they are hiding 5 million of sales down the rug.
They didn't hide them under a rug, they told investors that they shipped 16.5 million PlayStation consoles in the fiscal year ending 31 March 2013.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

No, the issue is you! You don't understand how the consoles were counted. At some point we stopped getting individual numbers for the PS2, even though it was obviously still selling. Why do you hate this fact so much?

Celine

Impressive performance for Switch. But we have to keep in mind, there are far more gamers now then there were in the PS2's era. A larger sales demographic begets larger sales inherently.
Yet before Switch, only one other console beside PS2 had ever sold more than 120M (Nintendo DS).
The inherent sales increase you cited isn't shown for other consoles.
PS2 and NDS (and today NSW) are unicum among consoles.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Future Redeemed should have been the main story of XB3.

Top Bottom