• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 24/25 Earnings Release: Hardware 2.10m LTD 143.42m. PM:TTYD 1.76m, LM2HD 1.19m

Tams

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 62.90m (61.97m) + 930k

Driving Donkey Kong GIF
Kevin Hart Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Astral Dog

So ToTK was very frontloaded it seems.

And so sad to see those Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 numbers.

If is not Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, AC or Splatoon, the game doesn’t sell well.
Astral Chain actually surpassed Nintendo's expectations, it did better than when they launched Xenoblade on Wii and Wii U, thats a modest success for them.

Bayonetta, unfortunately no comment from Nintendo, but at least managed to pass a million, at full price,both 2 and 3 so Bayonetta is at least valued on Switch , i don't think the numbers are good,but they aren't that bad either, if we consider the series sold close to 2.5M on Switch.

We also don't know the current numbers, Bayonetta 3 appears 'unfinished' in its current state, they can upgrade the visuals and improve the overall game with Switch 2 ,there is potential there to sell it again.

Last edited:

tkscz

The second highest selling Mario Kart game is Wii at 37.38 million. Really goes to show how much the Wii felt more like a fad then a console people wanted vs the Switch people fully understanding what they're buying and why.

BotW outselling TotK is a mystery to me.
This is an odd take.

BotW has been selling for 7 years and has been price promoted a dozen times down to as low as $41.99.

TotK is a direct sequel to it, for $10 more, with a bit of a more mixed reception candidly, and it’s only been out a year, with no price promotion yet (because it’s selling fine as is). Under those conditions, its current sales tally is really quite extraordinary, I would say.

But realistically it never had any chance at beating BotW’s total sales, being on the same system. There’s only so many people who would buy “another” open-world 3D Zelda game on the same platform. For every one person who loved BotW there certainly would be a certain percentage that isn’t interested in more of that, or simply didn’t care for it altogether.

Software sales also begin to decline when a platform reaches maturity after 6,7,8 years being on the market. A lot of people who bought one years ago no longer actively use it. Which means they don’t buy software for it, and are waiting for a new console.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is an odd take.

BotW has been selling for 7 years and has been price promoted a dozen times down to as low as $41.99.

TotK is a direct sequel to it, for $10 more, with a bit of a more mixed reception candidly, and it’s only been out a year, with no price promotion yet (because it’s selling fine as is). Under those conditions, its current sales tally is really quite extraordinary, I would say.

But realistically it never had any chance at beating BotW’s total sales, being on the same system. There’s only so many people who would buy “another” open-world 3D Zelda game on the same platform. For every one person who loved BotW there certainly would be a certain percentage that isn’t interested in more of that, or simply didn’t care for it altogether.
Justin Timberlake What GIF

TOTK this year so far: 190K
BOTW this year so far: 200K

That’s what the poster is talking about.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Even so, that’s also not a mystery.

BotW is cheaper and occasionally is price-promoted, and is more popular, so long-tail sales exceeding TotK (which is still $70) shouldn’t be surprising or unexpected.
BOTW is also 7 years old. You’d think that by now, its sequel would easily outsell it. TOTK hasn’t even celebrated its second anniversary on the market.

It’s not very common for a game to outsell its successor during the same period.

BOTW is also 7 years old. You’d think that by now, its sequel would easily outsell it. TOTK hasn’t even celebrated its second anniversary on the market.

It’s not very common for a game to outsell its successor during the same period.
I actually don’t agree in this case. I think BotW is synonymous with the Switch, and when you buy a switch, you’re more likely to buy the original Zelda for it, versus the sequel to it. Much like in the way that Mario 64 went alongside with n64, and Sunshine/Double Dash went alongside GameCubes.

Only Nintendo would have this data, but I would bet that most of the people that bought BotW in the last quarter were new Switch purchasers, and most of the people that bought TotK last quarter were existing switch owners.

How many people bought Majora’s Mask on n64 but not Ocarina of Time? I’m guessing that would be a really low percentage.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I actually don’t agree in this case. I think BotW is synonymous with the Switch, and when you buy a switch, you’re more likely to buy the original Zelda for it, versus the sequel to it. Much like in the way that Mario 64 went alongside with n64, and Sunshine/Double Dash went alongside GameCubes.

Only Nintendo would have this data, but I would bet that most of the people that bought BotW in the last quarter were new Switch purchasers, and most of the people that bought TotK last quarter were existing switch owners.
Regardless, to only be selling 190k in a quarter one year after launch isn't exactly evergreen. It doesn't look like it will ever catch up to BotW at this point.

If they do relaunch it on Switch 2, they should drop some DLC at the same time to stir interest. It doesn't have to be anything crazy--a few QoL improvements, a couple secret shrines or mini bosses dropped into the overworld, or maybe a master mode for the sadists among us. I'd also like to see a next gen exclusive (for the extra processing power) "free build" mode or testing arena where you can assemble crazy contraptions with infinite resources, test them out, and then save your schematics

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 by Monolith Soft, even if kinda meh, has very low sales for what is probably Nintendo's best studio. I don't think it's concerning given that they have teams helping a lot on EPD's projects, but it just feels sad to see.
Personally I think that’s partially due to XC2 being kind of trash. I know folks here will disagree but quite a few people disliked both gameplay and design aspects of that game.

Portugeezer

Strong performance from Paper Mario, FUCK YES!

BotW was a phenomenon. TotK is a better game, but didn't capture the zeitgeist like BotW and the Switch did at launch.
I agree with what you said, but BOTW sold more this quarter, which is weird because more people have already played it. It'd be like GTA4 out selling GTA5 or something.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Personally I think that’s partially due to XC2 being kind of trash. I know folks here will disagree but quite a few people disliked both gameplay and design aspects of that game.
I know I'm weird, but I stopped playing because of the font. yes.

StereoVsn

I know I'm weird, but I stopped playing because of the font. yes.
It was super hard to read in handheld mode.

I stopped playing it because of horrible character designs, stupid blade gotcha, shit performance in handheld mode (literally 360p in places) and more.

How they managed to f-up sequel to the first game so badly I don’t know. And that had to affect their numbers for the 3rd game.

Some takes in this thread, holy crap.

It probably won’t. It should need to stay on the market for about 5 more years at impulse buy price, way after its successor has launched, which is exactly what PS2 did. Nintendo is never going to sell Switch below $149, and they’d rather retire the system before they consider to keep selling it below $200 after its successor is out. And nobody is going to buy a 10-years-old piece of tech these days.

Just do the math. The PS2 sold about 40% of its reported lifetime sales after the launch of the PS3. This is never going to happen today.
When The PS3 released it was $600 and at the same time the PS2 was around $100 which made the old PS2 still very attractive despite it's younger brother replacing it. There is no way there is going to be such a huge price difference between Switch and Switch 2 when Switch 2 comes to the market and for this reason no console will ever have the tail of sales and longevity the PS2 had. The DS was at 151 million when the PS2 was at 117 million launch aligned and of course the PS2 sold more despite a 34 million deficit.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Some takes in this thread, holy crap.
I think it's pretty clear and simple. Most people aren't imbeciles willing to dish out $70 to play a glorified DLC. But, hey, it's a open forum, please bless us with your intelligence and intuition and provide us the actual reason such a over hyped reheated game would mysteriously sell less than it's predecessor.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It was super hard to read in handheld mode.
It was the font itself, not the readability. It was too designed and juvenile.

A lot of Nintendo games choose shitty fonts, like the Mario font. Glad they retired it for Odyssey.

Regardless, to only be selling 190k in a quarter one year after launch isn't exactly evergreen. It doesn't look like it will ever catch up to BotW at this point.

If they do relaunch it on Switch 2, they should drop some DLC at the same time to stir interest. It doesn't have to be anything crazy--a few QoL improvements, a couple secret shrines or mini bosses dropped into the overworld, or maybe a master mode for the sadists among us. I'd also like to see a next gen exclusive (for the extra processing power) "free build" mode or testing arena where you can assemble crazy contraptions with infinite resources, test them out, and then save your schematics
190k at $70 in what is a very slow/ quiet quarter for Nintendo isn’t evergreen? I don’t think Nintendo would agree with that statement. 😂 I’m guessing they’re just plenty happy with nearly 200,000 copies sold at full price a year later in a very quiet quarter for them. That’s ~ $14 million USD in revenue. From one game. A year after release. On a 7 year old platform.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Quite the drop, but I think it's good there's a profit, which is something we can never take for granted in this industry. Specially when virtually you only have one source of income like Nintendo. They're branching out here and there but the Switch is still Nintendo's central pillar at this point..

tr1p1ex

I'm banking on a spike when Switch 2 is announced next year. Though this is Nintendo so it's equally likely they'll announce Switch U and my money goes down the drain
yeah and it isn't that cheap right now. I bought NItendo stock during the Wii U era and made good money. Definitely the time to buy some companies is when they are in a downturn but are otherwise really good well run.

Also affected somewhat by the exchange rate. Nintendo make more $$$ when the yen is weak. On the other hand a weaker yen drives the price of the stock down in USD.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Guys, the poster said "outselling" as in currently. TOTK sold 190K compared to 200K for BOTW. The fact that BOTW is much older should work against it for ongoing sales, not the other way around. That'd be like GOW 2018 outselling Ragnarok in 2024.
Ok but Ragnarok is already $30. And GoW was on the PS4.

TotK is $70 still and Botw often hits $30-$40. And both games on the same system.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Mario Kart 8 still selling almost 1 million copies is wild. They really should just make the game as Mario Kart Infinity, the logo is already perfect.

Ok but Ragnarok is already $30. And GoW was on the PS4.

TotK is $70 still and Botw often hits $30-$40. And both games on the same system.
Couple of things, it seems that Globally in the US is still a thing, TOTK is usually around the €45-50 mark in Europe, in the UK has been around 40-45 quids. Japan has also seen some here and there sales for the game.

The point is that BOTW is a 7+ years old game.

As for GOW:R, the PS4 version is $30 whilst the PS5 version is $40 and GOW 2018 can be as low as $10, but do you see 2018 outselling Ragnarok?

NanaMiku

I just read the QnA

Q18 I believe that good game music is a catalyst for people to play games. Recently, there have been
more soundtracks released for games, such as for The Legend of Zelda series. Are you considering
utilizing Nintendo's assets by for example, distributing game music via a subscription system?
A18 Furukawa:
Many people have an attachment to game music, and we receive a lot of attention when we
hold and stream concerts featuring our game music. I feel that people love games from a variety
of different perspectives.
I believe game music is extremely valuable for expanding the number of people who have access
to Nintendo IP, and would like to consider utilizing it in ways that bring joy to consumers.

Boo

tr1p1ex

Couple of things, it seems that Globally in the US is still a thing, TOTK is usually around the €45-50 mark in Europe, in the UK has been around 40-45 quids. Japan has also seen some here and there sales for the game.

The point is that BOTW is a 7+ years old game.

As for GOW:R, the PS4 version is $30 whilst the PS5 version is $40 and GOW 2018 can be as low as $10, but do you see 2018 outselling Ragnarok?

TL;DR: the original is just more successful than the sequel.

Thanks for the info. The GoW example still has an issue tho. IT came out on PS4 2 years after PS5 console came out. Makes for a little different comparison.

But in the end it comes down to BotW being one of the Switch's big blockbuster evergreen titles. And TotK not being one.

And I don't think it is a surprise given botw was beloved, came first, it's pretty cheap now in the US at least and meanwhile TotK uses the same map which gives off a certain connotation on the "surface." lol. The connotation being it's the same game.

PS. I remember something I read not too long ago about Mario + Rabids. Ubisoft made a sequel and didn't listen to Nintendo to only do one for the generation. And it didn't do as well in comparison. And I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st one is selling better than the 2nd one now.

PPS: BotW was released into a much smaller install base than ToTK. So TotK's sales were always going to be front loaded in comparison. And I think there's something to be said for owners in the beginning of console's lifespan not playing their console as much at the end of the console lifecycle. After all a kid who was 10 yrs old in 2017 is 17 yrs old now. While new owners are grabbing the big game they remember hearing about. A game like BotW especially if they see it half price on the shelf.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said, but BOTW sold more this quarter, which is weird because more people have already played it. It'd be like GTA4 out selling GTA5 or something.

By 10k. I wouldn't be surprised if some people who bought a Switch and TotK more recently went back for BotW. Also, despite owning BotW and TotK I recently got a copy of BotW + expansion pack, so that is +1 right there.

Death No GIF

They've just been putting out the best first party content since forever. No outside influences have altered that path.
No denying it. But the point is you can't please everyone with just their mainstream titles. And as a platform you have to cast a wider net. So Nintendo bought Bayonetta IP even though it never was close to their wheelhouse.

The majority of their customers may never buy it, but those who do want it would be glad that it exists. And once in a while they accidentally make a big hit out of it. Splatoon was likely envisioned as a way to compensate for a lack of shooter games, and they succeeded while sticking to their Nintendo branding.

Being a platform holder is like running a grocery store; not every item in the store would sell well, but you need to have a little of everything or customers wouldn't come in the door.

Woopah

So ToTK was very frontloaded it seems.

And so sad to see those Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 numbers.

If is not Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, AC or Splatoon, the game doesn’t sell well.
I'd add Smash Bros., Sports and Ring Fit to the things that sell well. Plus there's things like Fire Emblem and Kirby which sell well for what they are.
While the numbers are good, the drop Year over year is staggering. It could be a struggle to sell the 13 .8 million units by end of the year. Keep in mind something like 70% of Nintendo annual hardware sales is usually sold in September thru December.

It is clear by these numbers though, especially software sales year over year, people are starting to put the Switch away, ignore it, or are no longer interested.

How long will Nintendo go before announcing Switch 2? October? December? January? March?

I was hyped and no longer am for any of the future hardware from any of the big 3. Maybe with worldwide recession looming, it has stilted my interest. Maybe Cloud is the true way forward. Maybe Apple’s concept of play anywhere is the right path. Who know, maybe. We will see.

Nintendo is walking the razors edge. From a business standpoint I’m curious if they can pull it off! Did they wait too long? Will Nintendo screw up Switch 2 somehow?

From a a fan and business standpoint it is dicey now. It will be hard to meet expectations the longer this goes, and clearly by sales number people are losing interest.
Pretty much. Switch is doing a little better than half of what they did last year's Q1. If that holds, then they will sell about 8 million units this fiscal year. But even if Nintendo keeps selling Switch when Switch 2 arrives the demand is going to drop significantly so probably closer to 7 million for the year. Does Switch have 5 million sales left in it post-Switch 2 launch? That's the question.

Edit: just saw that Nintendo projects 13.5 million Switch sales this year so I'm probably way off. lol
Q1 should have the largest YoY drop of the FY due to TOTK.

Having said that. I do believe the Switch needs a price cut and bundles to hit its target.

Tams

It's down because profits were down 70% YoY. Not sure it's the best time right now. Maybe 2025.

It quite literally is or near the best time to buy in. You don't buy high and sell high, lol.

You do know that you can invest for mor than a few months, right? So long as the company doesn't tank, you'll be fine.

Anyway, I have some long term shares in Nintendo as I believe in them as a company and that what they produce makes the world just that little bit better. I did just buy some more for selling later, once the Switch successor is released.

Three

It quite literally is or near the best time to buy in. You don't buy high and sell high, lol.

You do know that you can invest for mor than a few months, right? So long as the company doesn't tank, you'll be fine.

Anyway, I have some long term shares in Nintendo as I believe in them as a company and that what they produce makes the world just that little bit better. I did just buy some more for selling later, once the Switch successor is released.
My point is I think it will continue to decline until 2025. Not saying to buy high.

Amin_Parker

The remake of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door was the best selling game of Q1

QUDW7Vr.jpeg

Nintendo's earnings release for the 1st quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2025 has been published, this covers the three month period from April 1st to June 30th 2024. Nintendo shipped 2.10 million units of Switch hardware and 30.64 million units of Switch software bringing lifetime totals to 143.42 million for hardware and 1266.46 million for software.

Year over year quarter 1 hardware sales are 1.81 million down from 3.91 million and software sales are 21.56 million down from 52.20 million.

Two titles sold over one million units this quarter, these were new releases Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (1.76 million) and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD (1.19 million).

For the current fiscal year Nintendo maintain their Switch forecast of 13.5 million units for hardware and 165 million units for software.

9inPxdv.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q1: 2.10m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 790k, Americas 650k, Europe 410k, Other 250k
Model Variants Q1: Standard 530k, Lite 330k, Oled 1.24m

Switch Hardware Total: 143.42m
Regional Split Total: Japan 34.80m, Americas 55.17m, Europe 36.89m, Other 16.56m
Model Variants Total: Standard 93.97m, Lite 23.87m, Oled 25.58m

Global Shipment History (millions)

OC82NQK.png

Software

Switch Software Q1: 30.64m
Regional Split Q1: Japan 6.84m, Americas 12.80m, Europe 8.61m, Other 2.39m
Tie Ratio Q1: 14.59

Switch Software Total: 1266.46m
Regional Split Total: Japan 246.76m, Americas 552.99m, Europe 366.93m, Other 99.79m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.83

Global Shipment History (millions)

SAjJBff.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2024).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by the previous total then sales added to the total in Q1

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 62.90m (61.97m) + 930k
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 45.85m (45.36m) + 490k
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 34.66m (34.22m) + 440k
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 32.05m (31.85m) + 200k
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 28.21m (27.96m) + 310k
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.35m (26.27m) + 80k
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 25.29m (24.92M) + 370k
  • Super Mario Party: 20.84m (20.66m) + 180k
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 20.80m (20.61m) + 190k
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 17.61m (17.45m) + 160k
New Releases
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: 1.76m New
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 HD: 1.19m New
Million Sellers not updated this quarter (1st party published)
  • Ring Fit Adventure: 15.38m
  • Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m
  • Pokémon BD/SP: 15.06m
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus: 15.00m
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: 14.25m
  • Splatoon 2: 13.60m
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 13.47m
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder: 13.44m
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 13.11m
  • Mario Party Superstars: 12.89m
  • Splatoon 3: 11.96m
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
  • Super Mario Maker 2: 8.42m
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 7.52m
  • Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening: 6.63m
  • Clubhouse Games: 4.64m
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: 4.62m
  • Mario Tennis Aces: 4.50m
  • Kirby Star Allies: 4.38m
  • Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: 4.15m
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses: 4.12m
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity: 4.00m
  • 1-2 Switch: 3.74m
  • Pikmin 4: 3.48m
  • Paper Mario Origami King: 3.47m
  • Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.35m
  • Super Mario RPG: 3.31
  • Metroid Dread: 3.07m
  • New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.74m
  • Arms: 2.72m
  • Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.63m
  • Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.48m
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.40m
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker: 2.35m
  • Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: 2.00m
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX: 1.99m
  • Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.94m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: 1.91m
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.91m
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe: 1.82m
  • Miitopia: 1.79m
  • Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.73m
  • Fire Emblem Engage: 1.68m
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.60m
  • Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit: 1.42m
  • Metroid Prime Remastered: 1.36m
  • Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.34m
  • Astral Chain: 1.33m
  • Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.27m
  • Bayonetta: 1.24m
  • Bayonetta 2: 1.23m
  • Princess Peach Showtime! 1.22m
  • Game Builder Garage: 1.15m
  • Mario Versus Donkey Kong: 1.12m
  • Bayonetta 3: 1.09m
  • Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch hardware shipments compared to some other high selling platforms (millions of units)

9XKUASm.png
Thank you for reporting this information. I was wondering whether or not you knew if the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 2 when it comes to total lifetime-to-date units sold in the Americas.

I'd add Smash Bros., Sports and Ring Fit to the things that sell well. Plus there's things like Fire Emblem and Kirby which sell well for what they are.

Q1 should have the largest YoY drop of the FY due to TOTK.

Having said that. I do believe the Switch needs a price cut and bundles to hit its target.
I couldn’t agree more! Yo!

If there was a 3rd party surprise still to come for this holiday we could discuss. Say COD Black Ops 1&2. Or whatever. Just using this as an example. That could cause an uptick in sales slightly.

I personally think Switch Lite should be $149 w/ a free older game.

Switch Oled should be $249 or $299 with a game and OG Switch should be phased out immediately.

I also think Nintendo Selects should come back. I know the argument against it. But if they sold old games for $29.99-$39.99; it is fair. Especially if Switch 2 is BC and next gen updates are NOT FREE. I do not believe they will be free. Btw.

Something to consider

Last edited:

Celine

By this point is safe to say that Nintendo Switch is likely going to become the best selling console of all time.

y49kFqA.jpeg

PS2 is likely going to gain ground fiscal year after fiscal year from here on but not enough to cover the whole difference which stands at about 25M now).
What set apart NSW from NDS is the former has markedly more longevity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom