• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Going to grab this for 10 with the 30 dollar SMT/FE credit(unless there's something else I'm forgetting). Question though, almost out of space so do the save back ups in the settings menu do just that? Don't want to delete castlevania and have my save gone despite backing it up.

Oidisco

I finished the game recently and I'd give it a solid 8/10. It's my 2nd favourite in the series, with some incredible moments and by far the best battle mechanics. Most of the games flaws are small and pretty inconsequential on their own, but taken as a whole the negatives do drag down the experience a bit.

I will say though, the complaints about tutorials and comedy are kinda exagerated. A lot of tutorials are skippable, and their are some great comedy moments. People saying that all the comedy is simply accent based are in my opinion, completely wrong.

Bottom line, if you liked BiS, you'll this as it is very similar in structure and design, with a lot of improvements. If you hated BiS like I did (couldn't even finish it), you'll really like Dream Team because it fixes the majority of flaws that BiS had.

Eusis

Nope. The jury is still out on this one, but previously, PiT was generally considered to be the worst in the series.
Given the reception I saw thus far it does seem kind of like there's a pattern though, with odd ones being great and even ones not so well liked. Though I still liked PiD so maybe similarly this will be different for me.

Reposting Again:

Yes. I went on the e-shop in the morning and it says releasing midnight 8/11. Hopefully 9 PM PST
Ra0s1sp.gif

niunhuiio

Rather tempted to go digital for once....Decisions...

For a game like this I wouldn't suggest digital. Once I'm finished with this game and it's side quests I would not touch it and I would sell it one day. With digital it's stuck with you forever.

mr.beers

The reviews/impressions have really killed my buzz for this game. Looks like I will have to pick up bowsers inside story instead. Can the 3dsXL play DS games?

ffdgh

I go back to play games i've beaten occasionally and I never sell games so that won't be an issue. Back up saves are an added bonus if they're available.

Muzy72

Banned
So what's the general consensus on Dream Team? I've been excited for the game since its reveal, but the reviews have me a bit... worried. What's the consensus from EuroGAF?

P.S. You have 2 hours to answer before I impulse buy :p

Teknoman

For a game like this I wouldn't suggest digital. Once I'm finished with this game and it's side quests I would not touch it and I would sell it one day. With digital it's stuck with you forever.

Any RPG worth its salt is replayable way down the line, even if you've done everything.

That being said, im still ticked at myself for trading in Superstar saga years ago.

Any EU players (or those with early NA copies) know if the Giant Luigi section use the stylus too crazily? I don't use a screen protector on my XL (had issues with the Hori one on my Vita scratching really easily and being an eyesore because of it) and I remember some of BiS's being kinda nuts with the "do a spinning motion" or "keep swiping" motions.

Toad.T

Banned
No answer on hypothetical games starring other characters. Lots of other interesting stuff though. My story should be up late next week or so.

Sorry for asking, but did this interview get put up? I'd like to see the responses to our non character Qs.

zroid

Banned
I'm going on a trip next week and will have a good 18 hours of flight time, all things considered. Was planning to play some Dragon's Crown, but I'm leaning towards not taking my Vita because I'm more inclined to take both 3DSes so I can get more StreetPasses, and carrying three handhelds with me seems a bit much. So I'll probably save Dream Team for then. Reeeally hope I like it.

I guess the tedium of airline flights will, at worst, make the bad parts of the game less consequential. :p

mr.beers

Yes.
BTW may I ask what review/impression was a decision-changer for you?

Destructoid, Sterling mentioned(and it seems to be the concensus) that BiS is the superior game. Not that I think I would not enjoy Dream Team but I don't want to drop the $40 either at this time. Hell might still impulse buy at midnight I just can't help myself sometimes and logically I should play DT first so I could enjoy BiS all the more. I'm really conflicted ATM.

Teknoman

Looks like i'll use the 30 credit on this. it'll be a nice companion to the rest of the physicals when I need to switch. Of course Pokemon might have been a better digital purchase...but I cant resist pokemon box art.

VertPin

That's cool. Did it only cost $20 to do that? If so, that pretty tempting to do.

Yes.

omg. I am saving up for a car up until mid december (my first car, only 19 years old) but this is one game I NEED to have...don't tell my parents lol

Shahadan

Yeah I don't understand why people would buy this of all things digitally. It's like the worst choice ever, regardless of the quality of the game.

CompC

That's cool. Did it only cost $20 to do that? If so, that pretty tempting to do.

Yep, just $20. Next time I see a special edition 3DS I need to have, I'm just going to make a custom skin of it instead. Someone on Reddit made high res graphics to make a skin of the Charizard 3DS XL from Japan, and I almost made that instead of this.

Here are the images I made:

DaBoss

Yep, just $20. Next time I see a special edition 3DS I need to have, I'm just going to make a custom skin of it instead. Someone on Reddit made high res graphics to make a skin of the Charizard 3DS XL from Japan, and I almost made that instead of this.

Thanks for the images, but I meant getting a full skin seems tempting to do at $20. :p

omg. I am saving up for a car up until mid december (my first car, only 19 years old) but this is one game I NEED to have...don't tell my parents lol

Is $40 really gonna break the bank? :p

Definitely telling your parents if so. :p

does it fit perfectly? the 3ds is kinda curvy so was wondering.

well... pick it up at fry's for $30 then!

VertPin

does it fit perfectly? the 3ds is kinda curvy so was wondering.

well... pick it up at fry's for $30 then!

I don't think there is even a fry's in Oregon, or the Portland area to be specific. I need this game with me everywhere. eShop it is.
I am part of the problem.

Berordn

Yeah I don't understand why people would buy this of all things digitally. It's like the worst choice ever, regardless of the quality of the game.

I'm only getting it digitally because of the SMTIV credit, otherwise I'd tend to agree with you.

Midnight release without having to leave the house is a nice perk, though.

VertPin

If you get on I-5 south for about 7 miles you'll be in Wilsonville.

...As lovely as that sounds, I really want to play this game in 10 minutes. I don't really bring my 3DS anyone, so I have no fear of losing my games on eShop.
Thanks for the tip brother.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
To me it's not a crybaby review, especially if I compare it to the other games. There's literally no challenge of discovery in this game. The challenge comes from dexterity in battles and not from exploring the environment. Dialogue can be good but also incredibly outdrawn. I wish there was a fast forward button because even when mashing through text it can take a while.

The game is saved by the enjoyable combat mechanics and style, but otherwise it's very tedious and lackluster.

I don't remember the other Mario&Luigi games having much exploration, you're always travelling from packed zone to packed zone with a load of things to do inside and around them. It isn't challenging, but sometimes the game just wants you to enjoy it without too much hassle, and I did; it is a pure pleasure to play, for example strolling around the enormous Wakeport and spending hours trying to find all the Pieces, talking to everyone, doing sidequests or exploring every building

in short, i don't see much difference between DT and BIS, PIT or SS. The only one is that the humour can be lackluster at times and should have featured more comic characters. It would be a real shame if people overlooked this one because some small complaint completely overshadowing the brilliance it brings to the table

Top Bottom