• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

mhs004

I'm buying this game but I don't know when. I have alot of money in the bank but I'll have to pay some of my tuition and book fees from my own pocket. After I pay all of that off I'll buy it.

You quite literally cannot enter a new screen of a Dream Team dungeon map -- whether in the top-down RPG mode or the side-scrolling platformer-lite areas -- without some chatty Cathy pausing the action to tell you exactly what you need to do here, or the game seizing control of the camera to make it abundantly clear how to solve each and every minor puzzle. There's no sense of discovery in this game. You'll never feel the satisfaction of figuring out a tricky mystery. The potentially clever dungeon gimmicks cease to be engaging, reduced to mundane impediments. It's a 30-hour exercise in going through the motions.

1360165497525.gif
So it's the exact opposite of Sticker Star. Why can't they just strike a balance between the two?

DedValve

Banned
I'm stuck between this and Luigis mansion.

On one hand I can play Luigis mansion immediately (I'm going full digital as risky and dumb as that is) rather than wait but I freaking LOVED the first M&L (played halfway through the second but stopped because some stupid kid deleted my save, never played BiS).

I love both of them so much. I can't decide, help me gaf consensus.

Jb

I was considering picking this up since SMT4 didn't come out in Europe but holy shit, Jeremy Parish's review in USgamer completely drenched my excitement in cold water.

I'm stuck between this and Luigis mansion.

On one hand I can play Luigis mansion immediately (I'm going full digital as risky and dumb as that is) rather than wait but I freaking LOVED the first M&L (played halfway through the second but stopped because some stupid kid deleted my save, never played BiS).

I love both of them so much. I can't decide, help me gaf consensus.

get luigis mansion.

get bowsers inside story.

Cryst

you know... i've only played like 1 hour of sticker star and I got it at launch.

Is it worth playing if I use a guide when i'm stuck?

Worth playing over what else on your plate?

With a guide, sure, it might not be the best "Paper Mario" game in the series (if it can even be considered a series), but since you already have it, why not? I don't remember it being a particularly long game. At least the stickers are novel.

Without a guide...no, save yourself some of the frustration with some of the later bosses in the game and check up on them with a guide so you can have a good sticker loadout. Little to no guidance on how to get anywhere, so that'll save some time too.

Weilthain

Banned
im about 7 hours in and loving it. I'm not normally a fan of turn based battles, but this series (and paper mario) makes them fun.

Voidance

I've never played a Mario and Luigi game before and I'm strongly considering buying this on Sunday, tutorials and all.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
You quite literally cannot enter a new screen of a Dream Team dungeon map -- whether in the top-down RPG mode or the side-scrolling platformer-lite areas -- without some chatty Cathy pausing the action to tell you exactly what you need to do here, or the game seizing control of the camera to make it abundantly clear how to solve each and every minor puzzle. There's no sense of discovery in this game. You'll never feel the satisfaction of figuring out a tricky mystery. The potentially clever dungeon gimmicks cease to be engaging, reduced to mundane impediments. It's a 30-hour exercise in going through the motions.

1360165497525.gif

where's this from? Complete and utter bollocks
I just finished the game, first of all is a 40+ hours affair and not 30, and the small downsides definitely don't justify such a crybaby review. positives far outweight the negatives. There is a sense of discovery and it's abundant: try finding all the Attack Pieces without solving some clever puzzle and exploring every inch. My complaints? Humour is not as strong as the previous games and yes, there is a lot of chat but guess what, clicking one fucking button isn't going to make you feel like you're wasting your time

where's this from? Complete and utter bollocks
I just finished the game, first of all is a 40+ hours affair and not 30, and the small downsides definitely don't justify such a crybaby review. positives far outweight the negatives. There is a sense of discovery and it's abundant: try finding all the Attack Pieces without solving some clever puzzle and exploring every inch. My complaints? Humour is not as strong as the previous games and yes, there is a lot of chat but guess what, clicking one fucking button isn't going to make you feel like you're wasting your time

To me it's not a crybaby review, especially if I compare it to the other games. There's literally no challenge of discovery in this game. The challenge comes from dexterity in battles and not from exploring the environment. Dialogue can be good but also incredibly outdrawn. I wish there was a fast forward button because even when mashing through text it can take a while.

The game is saved by the enjoyable combat mechanics and style, but otherwise it's very tedious and lackluster.

Dunkelgrau

I this a proper and difficult Core-RPG?

Highly interested to play this game in my holidays, but after I saw the first two hours on YouTube I am not longer sure. Long and dump tutorials everywhere …

Voidance

Interesting to see two very conflicting opinions. Seems as though the amount of text is an issue, and the player's perception of the game is greatly altered by how he/she handles it.

Eusis

Yeah, Jeremy Parish's review scared me off for now. It really does sound like they just swung in the other extreme, then Yahtzee's review kind of kicked the game while it was down. I did say I was going to wait, I just got Pikmin 3 and Xillia, and there's stuff like DuckTales and even FFXIV coming soon, but unless I'm following a pretty good/engaging story I don't really care for wordswordswordswords, nevermind Nintendo's tendencies for handholding as of late.

papercamm

Does this game use the shoulder buttons much? My 3DS have been acting up lately, and I don't want to repeat what happened with Luigi's Mansion 2.

DaBoss

Does this game use the shoulder buttons much? My 3DS have been acting up lately, and I don't want to repeat what happened with Luigi's Mansion 2.

If the other M&L games are anything to go by, I believe it will change abilities in the overworld and to cancel/go back on the menus while in battle.

KarmaCow

Just (well 3 hours ago) got the shipping notification from the Futureshop preorder E3 thing. Judging from the timing, I'd bet it'll arrive on Monday.

Zekes!

Wow, the disappointment regarding this game is surprising, and, well, disappointing. I was really hyped for this game

Oh, whatever. Gaf complains about every new Mario game nowadays, followed by yet another "Should Nintendo quit making Mario games topic?" down the line.

I'll pick this up when I can afford it.

Yeah, a lot sites have been giving the game 6-7, complaining that there's too much intrusive dialogue. I personally don't mind, since, you know, it's an RPG. Quite a petty reason to give a game a low score.

Presumably, if the dialog isn't entertaining and constantly interrupting the flow of the gameplay, as several reviews imply, I see no reason why that wouldn't be a negative. Sounds pretty annoying. The humor this time around seems be of the Dragon Quest "zee all have funny accentz iznt' dat funny" variety.

zroid

Banned
I'm having a hard time, based on impressions/reviews, understanding exactly how hand-holdy this game is. Is the fervent backlash more reactionary to recent trends, or does it properly reflect the tutorializing compared with other tutorial-heavy games?

Let me put it this way... I loved Skyward Sword, and enjoyed its writing, while never being bothered by its hand-holding. Should I still be wary of Dream Team, or just sit back and enjoy?

Haines

Banned
sometimes i wonder if you guys are too worried about being a reviewer when you play a game and not enough energy spent towards simply enjoying the game you bought.

im not buying this game but thats bc my backlog is simply wayyy too big on 3ds right now

cloudyy

The first 8-10 hours feel like a tutorial. Most explanations can be skipped though and the rest is kinda integrated into the story. I'm ~28 hours in, I like it way more than BiS.

soultron

Banned
Yikes, I think I'll just play Sticker Star since that's sitting in my backlog.

Parish and Sterling's reviews scared me out of spending $40 on this.

Doopliss

I'm having a hard time, based on impressions/reviews, understanding exactly how hand-holdy this game is. Is the fervent backlash more reactionary to recent trends, or does it properly reflect the tutorializing compared with other tutorial-heavy games?

Let me put it this way... I loved Skyward Sword, and enjoyed its writing, while never being bothered by its hand-holding. Should I still be wary of Dream Team, or just sit back and enjoy?
I'd say you'll probably have a great time with this awesome game! It would've been nice if they didn't force you to slowly go through the (generally obvious) controls each time you learn a new Dreamy Luigi ability but otherwise I didn't think the tutorial stuff was problematic at all.

Zornack

Damn, I was really looking forward to this game, I loved SS and BIS. Oh well, I guess I'll go back and play Partners in Time, I skipped it somehow. That one is good, right?

zroid

Banned
Damn, I was really looking forward to this game, I loved SS and BIS. Oh well, I guess I'll go back and play Partners in Time, I skipped it somehow. That one is good, right?

Well, I liked it, lol. It's not so popular around these parts.

Also I always get confused between Superstar Saga and Sticker Star when I see "SS".

I'd say you'll probably have a great time with this awesome game! It would've been nice if they didn't force you to slowly go through the (generally obvious) controls each time you learn a new Dreamy Luigi ability but otherwise I didn't think the tutorial stuff was problematic at all.

yeah, hope you're right. tutorials for stuff like how to perform attacks won't bother me because, while annoying, they don't detract from the game design as a whole. it's the things like totally giving away puzzle solutions to the point where it just feels like you're going through the motions where I'm getting concerned.

bodine1231

Damn,Jeremy Parish just crushed my soul... I'll still pick it up and check it out for myself but he really did drape a blanket over my enthusiasm for this game.

Mistle

I'm about 13 hours in, and honestly, after you pass the first 2hrs or so, the tutorials aren't intrusive. Sure, there are still tutorials every now and then, but they're short and don't take away from the game.

I think it's amazing and a whole heap of fun, and it's a shame to see people put off.

Tookay

Nope. The jury is still out on this one, but previously, PiT was generally considered to be the worst in the series.

Top Bottom