• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

How are people taking 50 something hours to finish?!? Just ended in 33 with all pillos saved.

Last boss was really easy too.

Have mario kill the hand he uses to guard his head and then luigi use the star rocket bros attack. Was doing over 1000 damage per bro attack, as jumps do criticals. Only took 3 of them to bring him down

XaosWolf

Finished this up yesterday after a Pikmin 3 length gap. Clocked in at just under 50 hours. 100% Expert Challenges, Pi'llo and Beans.

Thoughts line up with plenty of others, it's a great game, but not as good as the last one.
Now for heavy spoilers/complaints! =D
(I don't think they're story spoilers though, unless you're new to video game boss progression)
The end seems to drag on for way too long with 6 "Final Bosses". Those being: Kamek, Kamek, Kamek (starring 3 other Kameks), Bowser, Antasma and Bowser.

I broke the game pretty thoroughly by:
- Buying two Guard Shell DXs (which are available early on, and allow the wearer to take 6 free hits)
- Reaching Rainbow Rank (giving me TWO bonuses, one of which can be reducing BP cost by 50%)
- Buying pretty much everything from the Rainbow Rank Only shop (giving me a triple solo jump attack, and double solo hammer attack per Bro)
- Completing all the Expert Challenges and getting the Duplex Crown (Allows the wearer to take 2 turns instead of one)

This makes anything but the Giant Battles largely just a time sink. Antasma only got off his initial attack before being absolutely slaughtered.

The ending is also pretty lame as nothing really happens.

So yeah. Despite my complaints, I enjoyed it. I enjoy complaining about things anyway.
And Bowser's Inside Story is still the best to me. =D

I'm going back and playing some of the first one, and that game moves along really fast in comparison, also makes me wish all the sprites on Dream Team were as clean as the last games were.

FYC

Banned
I haven't played most of the other Mario RPGs but I'm thinking of getting this day 1.

It looks so good.

Rekubot

RNG has not been kind to me on the final boss, I've wasted an entire morning on the fucker.
Bowser keeps healing and I have no way of clearing out all the enemies before he's healed up ~600 hp and restored both his arms. Then before I get a chance to kill his arms and start jumping on his head, he's back to the healing phase. Am I using the wrong strategy?

RNG has not been kind to me on the final boss, I've wasted an entire morning on the fucker.
Bowser keeps healing and I have no way of clearing out all the enemies before he's healed up ~600 hp and restored both his arms. Then before I get a chance to kill his arms and start jumping on his head, he's back to the healing phase. Am I using the wrong strategy?

My first fight went like 15-20 minutes for this reason before freezing on me when I finally got another good opportunity to land some hits in.
Then upon returning and trying again it took me like 5 minutes, it's odd, almost like random chance will prevent you from beating Bowser within a reasonable time span because sometimes he just keeps running off to eat.
I guess I don't really have any pointers aside from focus on the right hand so he can't guard his head and unload with the most powerful bros attack you have, only bother with the left hand if he nabs one of the bros.
You can taunt ball Bowser when he goes into the background but all it seems to do is cause him to perform an attack that can hit hit a few of the enemies if you succesfully evade it.

Rekubot

My first fight went like 15-20 minutes for this reason before freezing on me when I finally got another good opportunity to land some hits in.
Then upon returning and trying again it took me like 5 minutes, it's odd, almost like random chance will prevent you from beating Bowser within a reasonable time span because sometimes he just keeps running off to eat.
I guess I don't really have any pointers aside from focus on the right hand so he can't guard his head and unload with the most powerful bros attack you have, only bother with the left hand if he nabs one of the bros.
You can taunt ball Bowser when he goes into the background but all it seems to do is cause him to perform an attack that can hit hit a few of the enemies if you succesfully evade it.

Thanks for the advice, (final boss spoilers)
I didn't realise you only had to defeat his right arm to start bouncing on his head. I've been playing for an hour longer and he's still healing faster than I can deal damage. It's fucking infuriating, not to mention unfair. I tried the taunt ball and all it did was waste a turn, Bowser didn't even attack.

Seriously the most aggravating final boss I've fought since Crysis 1, and only then because it kept crashing periodically.

Rekubot

Ah my first rage quit... ever. What a shitty final boss and a sour end to an enjoyable if rather stretched out game. Back to Fire Emblem.

Just finished the
Wiggler
boss fight. I loved how
Popple fought with you, but was a liability who just made the fight trickier. From the moment he first showed up, I've been hoping for a fight with him, but I definitely wasn't expecting that. Very clever.

EDIT: Guess I wasn't done with that fight after all! Now I have to fight
Popple
himself!

It's great but definitely not as good as BiS or SS.

I prefer it over BiS. I'm undecided if I prefer it over SS; the combat is *far* better, but SS still has the best overworld, humour, characters, dialogue, etc.

I'd say it's on par with SS.

Labadal

Did my first battle that requires touch controls. I really am not good add games with that. I died the first time and barely made it on my second try. I hope there aren't many of these fights in the game.

this is my first mario and luigi rpg game and im 17 hours through near the top of mount pajamama minor spoiler -
did the game over fountain part
how far am i? is the game going to get any better? ive enjoyed it in some places, but some areas are far too long, i love the dream sections but the normal ones seem to drag. Gaf does the game get better or should i just quit now? i hate the amount of tutorials and the lack of any real puzzles. The 2 bros shouting BEEF all the time & showing me the way through a dungeon is annoying!

Rekubot

this is my first mario and luigi rpg game and im 17 hours through near the top of mount pajamama minor spoiler -
how far am i? is the game going to get any better? ive enjoyed it in some places, but some areas are far too long, i love the dream sections but the normal ones seem to drag. Gaf does the game get better or should i just quit now? i hate the amount of tutorials and the lack of any real puzzles. The 2 bros shouting BEEF all the time & showing me the way through a dungeon is annoying!

It won't speed up, and the puzzles don't get any harder. On the other hand there are some great moments that you'll miss out on if you stop playing now. Although to be fair I liked the beef bros., so I have different tastes than you.

Shahadan

It's only more of the same/even worse from there.

Thanks for the advice, (final boss spoilers)
I didn't realise you only had to defeat his right arm to start bouncing on his head. I've been playing for an hour longer and he's still healing faster than I can deal damage. It's fucking infuriating, not to mention unfair. I tried the taunt ball and all it did was waste a turn, Bowser didn't even attack.

Are you using pow scarfs/pow gloves? You should have at least a few by now just from random drops, and they can give up to +60% pow if you have both as DX versions.

I can see the final boss being very hard if you made poor choices on your rank up abilities though.
In order I went,
+HP, +BP(mario, useful in dream world)/+POW(luigi, star rocket bros attack is amazing vs the final boss), +Gear , +Gear (So both bros had pow items on), Iron body
and it was relatively easy.

If you chose things like the mushroom exp or easy level, then I can imagine its much more difficult.

Rekubot

Are you using pow scarfs/pow gloves? You should have at least a few by now just from random drops, and they can give up to +60% pow if you have both as DX versions.

I can see the final boss being very hard if you made poor choices on your rank up abilities though.
In order I went,
+HP, +BP(mario, useful in dream world)/+POW(luigi, star rocket bros attack is amazing vs the final boss), +Gear , +Gear (So both bros had pow items on), Iron body
and it was relatively easy.

If you chose things like the mushroom exp or easy level, then I can imagine its much more difficult.

I've been focusing on Mario's power and Luigi's luck the whole game.
Bowser's attacks weren't the issue as I could dodge them pretty well, it's his defense.
I think the biggest issue is my lack of decent Bros Attacks, but damned if I can be arsed to do another truck load of fetch quests just to beat the final boss.

Mistle

Climbing Mount Pajamama and man am I loving this game. Tutorials have easily slowed down to a pace now that doesn't bother me. Instead I'm just having heaps of fun.

Also this is the best looking game of the 3 imo. By a fair margin! It just looks so good, especially in 3D.

daakusedo

I wish I got more time to play cause each rare occasion, I do some lenghty session and that game is kinda packed, stopped at evolis and did some castle and mount pyjama exploration on the way back, evolis was great, exploring the rooftops, that dreamworld new mechanic and using ascetic concentration for the talent show...

I'm about 5 hours into the game, and if things don't get better, I just can't see myself playing it till the credits.

The pacing is really bad. The gameplay is constantly being held to a stop by 'cutscenes', NPC's who can't seem to stop talking and useless tutorials. I just wanna play the game, stop interrupting me.

I know Nintendo has a history of holding your hand, but this game is ridiculous.

Pacing is a huge thing. Sometimes it really gets me with games like this.

I think I'm going to hold off on this one for a while. Plenty of good stuff on my 3DS to keep me busy.

I'm about 5 hours into the game, and if things don't get better, I just can't see myself playing it till the credits.

The pacing is really bad. The gameplay is constantly being held to a stop by 'cutscenes', NPC's who can't seem to stop talking and useless tutorials. I just wanna play the game, stop interrupting me.

I know Nintendo has a history of holding your hand, but this game is ridiculous.

You're missing out. Game gets better all the time.

Wow, I never pre-ordered this. Thank you, Amazon. Can't wait to add this to the growing backlog of 3DS games.

This time I'll finish a game for sure!

Oidisco

The game gets much better very soon and the cutscenes, while frequent, do appear less often. The game also gets quite creative once you get past the opening areas of the game.

Also a personal recomendation, but don't try to do a 100% run, don't even get close to it. Skip the Pi'llos unless you really want to save em or they are required to get Attack Pieces . They added a lot of repetition and frustration to the game for me and I wish I didn't bother. The rewards really aren't worth it.

I will say, there are a few low points to the game, but the high points are some of the best in the series. Some of the battle mechanics are absolutely fantastic.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my only complaint about this game is the fucking
gyro section at the end of the fight vs Giant Bowser
. It's truly super frustrating and unfair

Miker

For Americans, Fry's has it for $30 (with tax/shipping): http://www.frys.com/product/7663737

I called up Best Buy and had them price match it, it came out to $32.46 with tax and free shipping. Relatively painless price matching process, too.

EDIT: Credit for this deal goes to CAG.

Sterling is on the ball with this one as far as i'm concerned, hopefully people wont get distracted by the score and focus more on the content of the review.

zroid

Banned
Ouch

Sterling is always a tough critic, though. I don't always agree with him but I can count on him to speak his mind.

Really wish I hadn't eShopped this game, I'm just sitting at a save point on the mountain and I've completely given up. The Pi'illo saving is annoying, the fights are just an exercise in tedium at this point... Will teach me for the future as I really wish I could trade this in and get credit towards something better :(

Miker

Ouch, these reviews/impressions aren't making me very excited, especially since I'm struggling a bit to finish Superstar Saga.

You quite literally cannot enter a new screen of a Dream Team dungeon map -- whether in the top-down RPG mode or the side-scrolling platformer-lite areas -- without some chatty Cathy pausing the action to tell you exactly what you need to do here, or the game seizing control of the camera to make it abundantly clear how to solve each and every minor puzzle. There's no sense of discovery in this game. You'll never feel the satisfaction of figuring out a tricky mystery. The potentially clever dungeon gimmicks cease to be engaging, reduced to mundane impediments. It's a 30-hour exercise in going through the motions.

1360165497525.gif

yea... cancelled my amazon order. the reviews have been disappointing and hitting points that would really irritate me.

got too many games on my plate as it is, will probably pick this up later when its cheaper and i have a lighter plate.

Sounds like Nintendo took people's complaints about Sticker Star to heart. Way too much to heart. Too bad, because I really liked Bowser's Inside Story. It's unfortunate Nintendo and others often don't feel like letting their games speak for themselves these days.

Top Bottom