• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Madouu

By the way--

does anyone else really like jumping in rhythm to the music? I just can't help myself, every time I have to walk anywhere, I turn it into a faux rhythm game. I find it extremely entertaining. I love jump sound effects.

Go back to Harmoknight :p

eojoko

Some thoughts on some reactions I've read in this thread now that I've been playing the game for a few days:

The tutorial problem has not been a problem for me, at least no more than it has been in most recent Nintendo games. Honestly, this is way overstated. Not only can you skip them, but they are all extremely brief even if you choose to read them. Neither has the game been bogged down by dialogue. Why? Because it's a Nintendo rpg and it's supposed to be taken slowly, and because its atmosphere is wonderful and a joy to be in. With a soundtrack this good, I don't mind the slow pace at all.

Speaking of the game's pace, it is slow, but I find it hard to put down nonetheless. I think the game was meant to be played in hour long increments. This is affirmed by menu messages that remind you to take a break every hour or so (as is common in Nintendo games these days). The game seems less repetitive if you consider that it was meant to be played in this way. The gameplay does change every hour or so.

I think most complaints here could be solved by not trying to beat the game in a couple of days. If you were a kid and you bought this game, I think there's a lot to be had for your money here. It's a long adventure. In a handheld RPG like this, I honestly think length is more of a benefit to the game than perfect pacing. I would not usually prioritize length over pacing or variety, but it's not like there is a lack of variety here, however subtle that variety often is.

Very happy with this game and I think its reputation will only grow.

SuperSah

Banned
If you like the other M&L games (or Paper Mario), you'll like this. I was in the same boat, and I'm currently loving it.

I liked Paper Mario Wii and GC and Mario/Luigi on DS, so it sounds like i'd like this.

It's a bit stupid EU didn't get a demo to try out.

This isn't exclusively related to this game, but does anyone else find it annoying how Nintendo games will encourage you to take a break every now and then? I know it's a minor thing but I wish there were a way to turn this function off.

IF I WANNA PLAY FOR SEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT I WILL DAMNIT! :p

Mr-Joker

Banned
The tutorial problem has not been a problem for me, at least no more than it has been in most recent Nintendo games. Honestly, this is way overstated. Not only can you skip them, but they are all extremely brief even if you choose to read them.

The problem with the tutorial is that they teach you that you already know, for example did the game really needed to teach me how to access the menu to check the bed part I collected?

What more is that game is basically thinks that you're an idiot that needs to hold your hands.

This isn't exclusively related to this game, but does anyone else find it annoying how Nintendo games will encourage you to take a break every now and then? I know it's a minor thing but I wish there were a way to turn this function off.

IF I WANNA PLAY FOR SEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT I WILL DAMNIT! :p

I hate it too.

Oh, man. I suck at lining up that one. I'm better off just doing a excellent jump.

Yeah, same here, but I "had" to do it at least once to complete its Expert Challenge. Thankfully I randomly was able to do it last night in a regular battle.

By the way,
Big Massif
was surprisingly tough, and I thought I was overleveled. It was refreshing!

Timeaisis

Yeah, same here, but I "had" to do it at least once to complete its Expert Challenge. Thankfully I randomly was able to do it last night in a regular battle.

By the way,
Big Massif
was surprisingly tough, and I thought I was overleveled. It was refreshing!

Yeah, he was tough, and I had leveled pretty good up to that point.
He had a lot more HP than most bosses, I feel like. I kept saying to my 3DS "DIE! Da?"

Hey guys, can you get all the attack pieces in Wakeport the first time you arrive? I just finished running all around the town and knocking out that exchange item side quest in town, haven't talked to the travel agency yet though. Do I need to progress the story more to get the last couple like the one in the bottom right corner? I was hoping to learn the new move before progressing.

As for impressions, I agree that this game isn't as funny as some of the others and doesn't have as good of characters which is a bit disappointing but I have to say the game play is there and I enjoy the diversity. It seems like there's always a new system or cool technique to learn. I enjoy the settings though I'd prefer more of them with less time spent in each area but I have to say that I think I'm avoiding the fatigue some of you are experiencing by just doing one area a night. I could see feeling fatigue if you did two large areas straight. I too prefer the real world to the dream world and would like it if the dream sequences were shorter as they aren't as interesting visually after you've done a few but I do think adding new luiginary moves to get around helps keep it from getting overly stale. All in all I'm enjoying the experience as I have the rest of the series. I feel it's too early for me to compare it to the other entries, I'll wait until I finish the game.

Berordn

Hey guys, can you get all the attack pieces in Wakeport the first time you arrive? I just finished running all around the town and knocking out that exchange item side quest in town, haven't talked to the travel agency yet though. Do I need to progress the story more to get the last couple like the one in the bottom right corner? I was hoping to learn the new move before progressing.

You can, but only after you visit the travel agency.

Plot reason being
it doesn't start the tour immediately because one of the tour guides is missing and you have to explore Wakeport some more to find him.

Timeaisis

Yeah, you can get them, but you have to advance the story a little further. You don't have to leave Wakeport, though. Go to the travel agency, and then go start the tour (
you won't actually leave wakeport yet)
and in the next segment (
still in wakeport
and you can collect the rest of the pieces.

Note that the spoiler tags aren't really very spoilerific, just kind of vague objectives that don't really spoil much.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch! Ahhhh

eXistor

People weren't kidding when they said the game just goes on forever. I think I've run out of steam with it. Every time I go to a new place, it's some big drawn-out affair and I don't think I have it in me anymore. I'm trying to figure out why this game is draining me so much when I loved Bowser's Inside Story so much. I just don't know.

That's the game all right. I've been playing the final dungeon today and after 3 hours I'm still not done there, it could have easily been done in an hour, but no the game just keeps repeating the same type of area to draw out the play time. It's really the downfall of this game, it just doesn't know when to quit and just keeps on going after the player has lost interest in a particular area.

People saying they've played for 10 hours haven't even properly begun the game yet (at that point I loved the game too), this game is huge.The 30 hour people just have to be lying, this game is easily 50-60 hours long without sidequests.

Since some people in this thread were asking, here's Schreier Asks: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - http://kotaku.com/dreaming-up-a-new-mario-rpg-1154845044

All this did was make me sad to see an official statement about their being no interest in creating a sequel to the greatest Mario RPG ever. We all knew in our hearts it wouldn't happen but without a statement there was always hope :( Why the hell can't they partner with Square again for a project? Square makes games for Xbox, they work on KH for the handhelds, why not try to make this work? I guess the director likes the level of control he has of the Mario and Luigi series but making a SMRPG sequel wouldn't end that series. Can we at least get SMRPG for the 3DS then? The camera angle and style really lends itself to the 3DS, it would be glorious!

Alrus

People saying they've played for 10 hours haven't even properly begun the game yet (at that point I loved the game too), this game is huge.The 30 hour people just have to be lying, this game is easily 50-60 hours long without sidequests.

Nah the game is at most 45 hours longs (that's doing everything except the special attacks challenges in wakeport because those are frustrating and pointless). And I suck at dodging so getting all the expert challenges took a while.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
After you meet Bowser the game gets a lot better, the desert area was pretty fun.
Finished that part just a few days ago. Looking forward to the next part (after I finish getting better equipment).

When am I allowed to buy new badges? I saw a store that had them earlier, but can't access it at the moment. Edit: OH, never mind. Just find out not too long ago......after spending all my coins on new gear....Least I got a new set for free.

Castcoder

Banned
Anyone else have a problem fighting Bowser? I absolutely hate how much of a cock tease this game has been up to this point. How the hell did it ramp up in difficulty? I'm using the Luiginary attacks, but I'm thinking there might be a faster way. And I can't dodge the Bowser Ball attack for the life of me.

pariah164

When looking for parts for...

The Utilibed; specifically, the bandits that stole the Jellyfish sheets. Do I have to win that stupid mole game to find them, or can I just hunt on my own? I went from 1700 coins to zero, and still didn't beat the stupid thing. I just can't catch the gold or silver crabs.

Frost_Ace

When looking for parts for...

The Utilibed; specifically, the bandits that stole the Jellyfish sheets. Do I have to win that stupid mole game to find them, or can I just hunt on my own? I went from 1700 coins to zero, and still didn't beat the stupid thing. I just can't catch the gold or silver crabs.
Try going to the Blimport, the bandits should be there.

Sora_N

Ok I actually started this game now, very enjoyable so far compared to Sticker Star. (Not that the two should be compared, I just traded in SS for this 1:1)

What stats are recommended, or does it not really matter?

I noticed Luigi has more Def and Mario has more Atk.

Berordn

Ok I actually started this game now, very enjoyable so far compared to Sticker Star. (Not that the two should be compared, I just traded in SS for this 1:1)

What stats are recommended, or does it not really matter?

I noticed Luigi has more Def and Mario has more Atk.

Luigi leans defensively and Mario leans offensively as far as natural stat growth goes, but it won't matter terribly much and you can influence it however you like with gear/beans/level up bonuses.

It definitely doesn't hurt to focus on Mario's defensive stats since he's alone in the Dream World. Luigi's stats factor into him some way but I'm not terribly sure how much.

Sora_N

Luigi leans defensively and Mario leans offensively as far as natural stat growth goes, but it won't matter terribly much and you can influence it however you like with gear/beans/level up bonuses.

It definitely doesn't hurt to focus on Mario's defensive stats since he's alone in the Dream World. Luigi's stats factor into him some way but I'm not terribly sure how much.

Cool, I didn't realize there was something like that. I'll probably just see how I progress :) Thanks!

Gartooth

Finally made it through the gauntlet of challenges that the final level throws at you and I'm preparing for the final boss. Should grind some levels as I'm a bit below, also need to restock badge abilities
since I used them to defeat Antasma.

Also the 3D character models for the giant battles are gorgeous, whoever Alphadream contracted for it did an amazing job.

Futureman

I'm playing the demo... and feel so stupid, but what am I doing wrong here? I can't jump up to the platform above? some of the platforms launch you, but all I can get these two to do is go up and down.

Mario just runs against an invisible wall and can't advance, and when I press jump with Luigi near the end, nothing happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyMEf20tWvU

DaBoss

I'm playing the demo... and feel so stupid, but what am I doing wrong here? I can't jump up to the platform above? some of the platforms launch you, but all I can get these two to do is go up and down.

Are you pressing the B button too? It looks like you are. You should be able to jump there.

Maybe some glitch with the demo? Though I recall doing everything in the demo, including that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Mario just runs against an invisible wall and can't advance, and when I press jump with Luigi near the end, nothing happens.

if pressing B doesnt work there's nothing you can do, sadly. Must be a glitch, like DaBoss said

Marjar

Banned
I'm on hour 2 and I think I give up
I just don't have the patience for this.

First couple hours are pretty wordy and tutorial-y. Mario RPG's tend to be like this, although admittedly this game goes a bit overboard. After that, the game gets much better.

Man, the quality of Shimomura's audio samples in this game is awesome. Everything just sounds really good. Only 40 minutes in, but she seems to be really in to the harp with this title.

Yuterald

I'm just about 10 hours in and I'm still loving it. I haven't fully completed a Mario & Luigi RPG before, but I've played enough of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story to say that this game doesn't feel any more/less hand-holding than the others. I'm in the final dream segment in the desert and the "tutorial" there was fairly unobtrusive. It was literally a drive by tour of the area to show you how to use the drill machine. After that, you could freely explore the surroundings and solve the puzzles, etc. on your own. It's really not a big deal.

But yeah...I love the battle system mechanics a lot in this game. All the bro moves, whether your in the real world or the dream world, just look way too cool and feel so satisfying. The way enemies burst into coins feels very rewarding as well. I just love the visuals/animations in this game. Probably one of my favorite looking 3DS games...and yeah, that Shimomura OST is god-like.

Top Bottom