• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

Jaagen

Just bought mine. Been ages since I've played a M&L game(Superstar Saga was the last one)

Seems fun so far. I really like the 3D effect in this game. Very well done.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Dream Team in da house

j1F1YzOGP4p4R.jpg

now my time will be split betwen this and AC...bye bye other games

Shahadan

Man the Big Luigi battle was some amazing, gorgeous shit. *_*
I couldn't stop thinking about Megaman Legends 3 during that fight for some reason :lol:

I have to assume the Mario Bros get their minds wiped at the end of every one of these rpg games, you'd think they'd remember the whole hammering into the floor deal by now among other things, then again maybe it's all that head hammering that causes this forgetfulness.

Well so far it's certainly a Mario & Luigi game doing all the usual things, it's not really sinking its claws into me though, for whatever reason Superstar Saga in my eyes had something the others didn't, the lack of a talky sidekick is certainly one thing but it also didn't seem quite so slow and bogged down in almost filler like text at points.

daakusedo

The absurdity was pushed really far with the purple flameghost telling you you'll totally won't make it alive and the actual thing you had to do.
That and Luigi laughing while asleep killed me.
I had a taste of the moving part in dream battle, potential...

Oxx

I received M&L earlier today, so naturally I started playing the copy of Donkey Kong Country Returns that has been sitting around untouched for weeks.

(Lttp: DKC is pretty good)

I'm ten hours in, and just beat the boss in the desert.

This is easily the best Mario & Luigi game since the original. I'm hesitant to say it's better than that because it's been so long since I played Superstar Saga, that I don't know how much of my fondness for it is nostalgia.

Dream Team definitely has the best battle system mechanics. There's a lot more variety, particularly in the Dream World. The introduction of 3D (and I don't mean the 3DS effect; I just mean interacting with/dodging things in the foreground and background), and being able to move at certain points in battles. The music is the best the series has had, and the visuals are superb. In fact, I recently watched a video of Bowser's Inside Story on YouTube, and was surprised at how plain it looked by comparison.

daakusedo

Anyone knows if there's a item which increase the difficulty ala BiS?

I can't be precise but there was an item in the castle shop at the beginning that had some strange description, I remember not buying it cause it didn't seem to have benefit, so maybe that.

the eurogamer article talks about the art being a sore point. Does anyone else feel that way? The trailers so far have me pretty positive about the art direction.

Frost_Ace

No clue if the challenge medal returns but hard mode is unlocked after the game is beaten.
Yeah, that is a good thing.

I can't be precise but there was an item in the castle shop at the beginning that had some strange description, I remember not buying it cause it didn't seem to have benefit, so maybe that.
Sure it was in the castle? Can't find anything weird there. :S

the eurogamer article talks about the art being a sore point. Does anyone else feel that way? The trailers so far have me pretty positive about the art direction.

I dunno, the game it's gorgeous from my point of view, the only weird thing it's that the sprites look a bit fuzzy they almost seem upscaled.

I almost wish the entire game was made up of Dreamy Battles.

So good.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not that the Real World battles are bad, but the Dream World battles are the best in the entire series, by a huge margin. They're fun, and very fast, so you don't get tired of them (a problem that has plagued all of the other games).

Man, the EDGE review is soooooooooo bad. Basically they wanted Bowser to be the star once again and they cry for it during all text.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man, the EDGE review is soooooooooo bad. Basically they wanted Bowser to be the star once again and they cry for it during all text.

Oh, Mario & Luigi RPG series...

... you've gotten enough games under your belt for people to rally around a previous entry and say the latest game is different so it sucks.

*sniffs* You're almost grown up, like Cousin Zelda.

Just finished the first giant Luigi fight. Holy shit at the end. This game just keeps on throwing cool surprises at you.

I really liked the giant Bowser fights in BIS, but this was so much better.

Some other reviews I found while us Americans are still waiting for Dream Team:

Gamespot gave it an 8/10, saying it was a polished, if very familiar Mario and Luigi experience

Gamesradar had a similar grade, 4/5 stars, and similar impressions, praising the game's quality production values and refined mechanics, but found the experience very familiar, and surprisingly linear.

CVG handed out an 8/10 as well, singing the praises of the creativity on display in such a charming, witty fashion, and the active battle system that keeps the player invested in even the most minor of scuffles, and really liked what 3D added to the game, mentioning how red shells are easier to kick back when you can see the depth of the screen. They weren't so crazy about the Dream world puzzles, finding them very simplistic, and while there's lot of things to collect and gear up with, the stat changes aren't as robust as they'd liked.

Edge 7/10 review went up online, and I have no idea what review that other guy read; they don't even mention Bowser complaints until the end. They take issue with the 2+ hour onslaught of tutorials that treat you like you never played a video game before, the 3D overworld is a bit ugly(a little antialiasing would got a long way here), and noting the spritework doesn't look as good the DS games. They don't think it's as funny either, stating how boring the Pi'illos characters dialog is, and how the new badguy Antasma doesn't hold a candle to Fawful. Despite all that, they felt the game delivers what M&L always does: an irreverent take of the Mushroom Kingdom, and an absorbing, addictive, active battle system. They also praise how you can cancel out of 3D mode for special attacks with the R button, a nice thought by AlphaDream.

DaBoss

Thank you very much ViewtifulJC.

Yea, the EDGE article doesn't seem like what the other user described at all. I only think that a comparison to Fawful isn't really apt due to him appearing in all 3 previous games and being built up.

Digital Spy gave the game 4/5, but Metacritic is counting the review as a 60, which caused the game's score to drop by two points. Somebody email them please, that's fucking bull.

I definitely didn't want to see Fawful again, but I sure hope this new baddie can live up to how good he was in SS/BiS(I have forgotten everything about PiT outside the L33T Bros, so forgive me). And I'm definitely interested in seeing more of the Dream World transversal and battles, even if it seems the puzzle solving isn't exactly taxing

Nemesis_

Fantastic game, exceeding all my expectations.

The way the sprites move and animate is so beautiful. Seeing Luigi and Mario grin and then hug each other was truly such a bro moment ;_;

Feels like a natural progression from Super Mario RPG, at least sprite wise.

Does anyone know if the Expert Challenges are missable?

cluderi

Picked up up this morning for $48 and I'm loving it, just finished the first Luigi dream sequence/level. Between this and Animal Crossing my dream of playing SMT Nocturne before SMT IV is over.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Only about 3 hours in but My gosh, I'm glad I'm taking the stance of not listening to reviewers anymore. This game is awesome, So much charm. I loved the other games tho, so maybe that's it.

Love this franchise

XaosWolf

Just finished the Mushrise Park area. Enjoying the hell out of it at every chance I get.

As for the tutorials, I've skipped the vast majority of them. At least all of those that are super obvious ones.

The ones I can remember seeing are for new or changed mechanics.

Does anyone know if the Expert Challenges are missable?

I'd guess you can come back for those that are area/enemy specific at a later point.

Being in the deepest parts of Luigi's mind, reading some of his thoughts is some of the funniest things I've seen

Edit: I'm about 6 hours in.

Thoughts on the Edge review:

- Tutorial parts of the game at the start aren't that slow, can skip most
- Necessary evil as the mechanics for those unfamiliar aren't the most intuitive
- I've laughed aloud a number of time already playing this game
- Anti-aliasing isn't a valid complain frankly
- Battle system is still incredible - they've added more to keep it refreshing

It does kind of read like they've not played much past where I am now.

Duster

I received M&L earlier today, so naturally I started playing the copy of Donkey Kong Country Returns that has been sitting around untouched for weeks.

(Lttp: DKC is pretty good)

I've done the same thing after neglecting DKCR in favour of Animal Crossing, I'm nearly finished I just need to do the last golden temple level.

Velcro Fly

Kinda glad NA is getting this in a month instead of right now.

So many games and I'm falling behind on stuff I want to play.

2013 will forever be known as the why can't I hold all these 3DS games year

Fabrik

Banned
I loved the first one on GBA, it was really fresh at the time, skipped the second one on DS and played BIS but while a fine experience I was really going through the motion the entire game similar to how I felt playing Sticker Star. I'm afraid I'm burnt on the formula. The dream world and few new mechanics but is that enough? The story and dialogs will probably be nonsensical and not that funny again.

Top Bottom