• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

daakusedo

Sure it was in the castle? Can't find anything weird there. :S

Can't come back to the castle for now to clear that up.

I wonder how to clear the dodge 10 of the castle though even when I just entered the exhibition room and go back to fight some enemies, I was already stronger that I beat them before they had time to do something and given there's no skip turn, I wonder if I'll be able to do it.

while Bowser’s Inside Story let you play as the series’ gleefully evil lizard antagonist

The Pi’illos’ dialogue is typically a snoozefest, and it’s really only when Bowser shows up with his elite team that the jokes start to hit home

it’s hardly a surprise AlphaDream never quite manages to conjure up anything better than being Bowser

C'mon men, I've exagerated a bit, but that sounds too much like a Bowser fanboy dissapointed. Anyway, graphic complains are just ridiculous; antialising is what Paper Mario Sticker Star needs, not Mario & Luigi Dream Team. They don't even mention the amazing soundtrack or talk about the real twist that dreamworld battles make (which is the moving-to-counter command). I think it's a pretty bad review.

I don't know, I agree with a fair amount of the edge review from what i've played so far (about 8 hours in) and i'm not even much of a Bowser fan.
While I wasn't as big a fan of BiS as most I have to agree that playing as Bowser was the most interesting thing to happen in this series since it kicked off with Superstar Saga, while the Dream World has some nice ideas it's not got the same appeal as playing as Bowser himself.

I don't know, I agree with a fair amount of the edge review from what i've played so far (about 8 hours in) and i'm not even much of a Bowser fan.
While I wasn't as big a fan of BiS as most I have to agree that playing as Bowser was the most interesting thing to happen in this series since it kicked off with Superstar Saga, while the Dream World has some nice ideas it's not got the same appeal as playing as Bowser himself.

This.
Got the game yesterday, enjoying it a lot, but for most parts the EDGE review seems spot on.

Aww I must say if you don't like Luigi
(You Monster)!
the game will make him incredibly endearing to you. Going into
Dream Deep and at the most subconscious level he just wants to help his Big Bro and not be left behind =')

Aww I must say if you don't like Luigi
(You Monster![)/spoiler] the game will make him incredibly endearing to you. Going into
Dream Deep and at the most subconscious level he just wants to help his Big Bro and not be left behind =')
When he says "I'm not clumsy" - one of the funniest things I've ever read

Dream deep also has some of the best music I've heard so far

In addition the animation they do for the sleeping Luigi has excellent small quirks, like if dream Luigi jumps his sleeping self tenses up, when things shake in the dream his hat falls over his face and he lifts it back to the default position.

FatCat

Played this for about 4-5 hours, just got to the part with
bowser

- 3D effect is awesome in this game. The colours and effects in the dreamworld are nicely done.
- Sprite work is great, while some of the 3D environments are a bit...stale. Lots polish for the animations too.
- Story seems good so far, beginning was slow and uninteresting. Characters ooze personality.

Overall enjoying this so far, Have laughed a lot in the past hour, especially in one of the dreamworlds where a character says
"You can nibble me" when dressed as a carrot.

flowsnake

Not sure which rank bonus to go for with the first rank increase. The extra equipment slot definitely seems like the best in the short term, but getting the stat-increasing ones as early as possible would make sense.

Doopliss

Not sure which rank bonus to go for with the first rank increase. The extra equipment slot definitely seems like the best in the short term, but getting the stat-increasing ones as early as possible would make sense.
I remember reading for BIS that if you dumped beans into a stat early on then the bonus points you could roll for that stat would be lower. I would not be surprised if this game works similarly, so the pure +stat bonuses might not be that great in the long run.

I went with the two extra equipment slots for both M&L on their first two rank-ups. It was the easy choice since it defers making firm decisions about how to build them until later in the game, plus having equipable items just sitting in my inventory made it the most initially tempting.

flowsnake

I remember reading for BIS that if you dumped beans into a stat early on then the bonus points you could roll for that stat would be lower. I would not be surprised if this game works similarly, so the pure +stat bonuses might not be that great in the long run.

I went with the two extra equipment slots for both M&L on their first two rank-ups. It was the easy choice since it defers making firm decisions about how to build them until later in the game, plus having equipable items just sitting in my inventory made it the most initially tempting.

I ended up doing Pow+ and HP+ on the first one. I'll probably do equipment slot for the next one. What level is it?

For those who are playing it...

Is this an immediate "must-own" 3DS title, or should I focus on finally getting around to finishing Luigi's Mansion and give more attention to Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (in addition to feeding my AC addiction)?

Shooot...poor Professor Layton isn't getting any love from me at the moment, either. :(

Sorian

Banned
I look at all of nintendo's games and I realize, the Mario and Luigi RPGs are the single, "must own" games that nintendo releases. A new smash? meh. New zelda? I'll get to it eventually. New Mario and Luigi? IN MY VEINS!

For those who are playing it...

Is this an immediate "must-own" 3DS title, or should I focus on finally getting around to finishing Luigi's Mansion and give more attention to Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (in addition to feeding my AC addiction)?

Shooot...poor Professor Layton isn't getting any love from me at the moment, either. :(

Finish luigi's mansion 2 first.

I've played donkey kong country returns and its not a top tier platformers so far.

I'd get mario and luigi once you finish LM2.

The Hermit

Finish luigi's mansion 2 first.

I've played donkey kong country returns and its not a top tier platformers so far.

x5soefwt5jmg.gif

Factually wrong information.
Its the top tier platform.

To the original question- it depends, they are all must have title, so be sure to play them someday.
Take me for example, I was playing LM2 and stooped to give Monter Hunter attention. The result: I have 2 unfinished games ( actually I have over 100hrs and " finished" Monster Hunter story mode, but I still have a to complete G-rank.)
If you feel like playing a RPG and a platform, there is no better combination than DKC and M&L.

Madouu

I look at all of nintendo's games and I realize, the Mario and Luigi RPGs are the single, "must own" games that nintendo releases. A new smash? meh. New zelda? I'll get to it eventually. New Mario and Luigi? IN MY VEINS!

The number of replies this topic has shows that you are pretty much in the minority. Oh well, I love Mario & Luigi, so I can't really fault you for your opinion.

For me anything EAD, Intelligent Systems or Retro makes has always a big chance of being a must have. Oh and Sakurai stuff
and Zeldas

I am a little concerned that this game is supposedly 10 hours longer than BIS. I think BIS went on a few hours too long.

Excited nonetheless, especially for the music everyone is raving about.

Lucent

I am a little concerned that this game is supposedly 10 hours longer than BIS. I think BIS went on a few hours too long.

Excited nonetheless, especially for the music everyone is raving about.

Well if they managed to keep it interesting the whole way through then it might not be that bad.

Mory Dunz

The number of replies this topic has shows that you are pretty much in the minority. Oh well, I love Mario & Luigi, so I can't really fault you for your opinion.

For me anything EAD, Intelligent Systems or Retro makes has always a big chance of being a must have. Oh and Sakurai stuff
and Zeldas

Int Systems has kind of annoyed me recently because I consider the first two Paper Marios to be two of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Oh well, here's to hoping for a real Paper Mario RPG to be announced for the Wii U in 2015. Sigh...so far away.

(Isn't it sad that I have to specifically say Paper Mario RPG at this point)?

afoni

Banned
This thread is full of people saying the reviews are wrong and that's just a bit hilarious.

About 20 hours in here.

afoni

Banned
The reviews have brought up some valid points, but a few people are trying to label them as false. It's still a good game, but it just gets a bit silly when people see the need to throw hyperbole into the wind when a review score isn't 9/10.

Conan-san

So, and I might be getting ahead of myself, my progress in BIS got stymied hard by the Train Kaiju-Bowser battle and seeing Ultra-Luigi kinda gave me pause to buying the game, is there any battle like the train fight that's going to see my DS across the room?

afoni

Banned
So, and I might be getting ahead of myself, my progress in BIS got stymied hard by the Train Kaiju-Bowser battle and seeing Ultra-Luigi kinda gave me pause to buying the game, is there any battle like the train fight that's going to see my DS across the room?

I've only played one of those battles but they're still fairly boring. It was stupidly easy though, to answer your question.

This.
Got the game yesterday, enjoying it a lot, but for most parts the EDGE review seems spot on.

Yeah, put in 3 hours now and I have to agree on it. Charm is through the roof as always and the gameplay systems are interesting and fun to interact with.

That said the intro, like other M&L titles, is atrociously slow. It kinda soured me on the title a bit for the first hour. I had hoped Alphdream had learned to speed things up a little. The map is glaucoma inducing and on a personal note I enjoyed the pixel-art/'cel shaded' look of the GBA and DS games more than this hybrid look.

All in all promising to be a very enjoyable title nonetheless.

Digital Spy gave the game 4/5, but Metacritic is counting the review as a 60, which caused the game's score to drop by two points. Somebody email them please, that's fucking bull.

Not only has the error not been fixed, but GameRankings is counting it as a 3/5 as well. Seriously, do these people even read the reviews?

Mistle

Only like 30 mins in but this game looks and sounds incredible. Especially in 3D. And yeah the music is just brilliant.

Can't wait to get stuck into it

Glad to see so many people are loving this, perhaps I'll finally be able to play a new Mario RPG that rivals my love for Thousand Year Door?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just got into the castle's secret area section. i agree the first 30 minutes have been somewhat slow and dull, but now game's starting to click big time. The music is PHENOMENAL!

eXistor

The continued hand-holding (10 hours in) is definitely a big downside to the game, but eveything else is just too damn good. It's up there with the best games on 3DS for sure if it keeps up like this.

Ath

I'm still really enjoying the game, about 8 hours in so far. Can't emphasise enough how good the art and music are, and I adore the little touches they've added to the battles. The 3D works excellently for the Bros attacks.

I found the
Dream's Deep sequence with Luigi's thoughts
surprisingly touching too! I do think the game isn't quite as funny as Bowser's Inside Story, but that's to be expected and there's still been plenty to keep me amused.

Sorian

Banned

and Zeldas

Time will tell. Wait for the american release date to get closer.

Robin64

The tutorial/help stuff at every turn is really getting me down. It's worse than Skyward Sword. I hope it improves later, but I don't need to be reminded about what Luigi can do every time I see a big face of his in the dream world.

The tutorial/help stuff at every turn is really getting me down. It's worse than Skyward Sword. I hope it improves later, but I don't need to be reminded about what Luigi can do every time I see a big face of his in the dream world.

Well, at least the game is challenging unlike Skyward Sword

Top Bottom