• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Charged World GAF Cup

Haunted

Whew! Thanks for the two series, Toma. Finally got the better of you. :D

I was experimenting around with my team in the second series... I can't decide which one should be my primary.

Also, mega-strikes are ****ing useless in our games :lol We each tried... what? over 20 times? and we got 1 or 2 goals max. :lol

Had so much fun, but now I'm exhausted! See you online. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I would say the first one was better for you. I cant really explain but I felt more helpless against that one. But could also be because of the time and that everybody here is training like theres no tomorrow except me xD
We will see again after some training Darth ;P

EDIT:
<- likes to edit

I will put that chart in MY first post on the first page of the thread. There I will update as fast as I can without spamming the thread over and over again.

maxmars

Dash Kappei said:
Mate, it's 20:18GMT and you're nowhere to be found nor did you answer to my PMs, sorry but I have to go, as the rules stated I guess I'll take a forfait victory but I'd preferred to play our match for sure, since I don't even know if I'll be able to play next week "thanks" to a last minute trip... :-(

Please see if you can play this match tomorrow. You have time until 23:59 gmt...

Haunted

Toma said:
I would say the first one was better for you. I cant really explain but I felt more helpless against that one. But could also be because of the time and that everybody here is training like theres no tomorrow except me xD
We will see again after some training Darth ;P
I really like Diddy Kong's special, though. And the game where I played with Yoshi was much closer (2-1 series)... Hm, I'm stuck with Yoshi for this Cup anyway, no need to switch right now. I can still play with Diddy afterwards. :p

And just a thought - I always feel that you would be even stronger if you were to replace one of your Koopas with a faster character. I'd say try Boo, who has a very similar deke to Koopa.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'd hate to get all the CUP board against me but I feel that I have to say this.
I feel I'm entitled to speak since I'm one of the lesser player and I get hammered all the time, still I continue to play fair and square and I think everybody who played against me can honestly say this.
I thought that the whole point of this CUP was to create a good circle of Strikers friends to play with and to a lesser extent avod all the annoying player that too often we encounter online. So what's the point of using ANNOYING cheap tactics against each others? I won't make names, you know who you are. Let's just say that I personally have no fun (even if in the end I won) playing if you are going to do things like:

Jumping the goalie with Toad, going through the goalie with Boo... and all the other things that we all know (jury's still out on Hammer's "trick" but that doesn't annoy since I consider it part of the game even if I don't like to use it).

Since I play with FRIENDScode mates to have fun, and to me there's no fun in that, it's fair to say that if you know you're gonna play like that please don't envite me nor accept my envite.

Sorry, far from being anal (opposite really) just wanna have fun and relax on the sofa since I get frustrated enough during the day :)

Toma, those were really great games we had had together! Congrats!
Fresquito holy shit dude, you're too damn good for me (6 to 0!), maybe I'll be able to challenge you... never:lol Hope you ad a bit of fun anyway, sorry!

maxmars

When Toad or Diddy pass over the goalie, shake the wiimote and Kritter will wake up from his comatose status.

Also, every sidekick has a special ability.. If you take it out for some sidekicks they will be at a disadvantage; we'll have to learn how to minimise the effect of the other players' special features....

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Jumping the goalie with Toad, going through the goalie with Boo... and all the other things that we all know (jury's still out on Hammer's "trick" but that doesn't annoy since I consider it part of the game even if I don't like to use it).
Well, I hate to break it to you, but jumping the goalie, as well as Boo's trick shot are totally legitimate tactics in my opinion. It's part of what makes the game so great - there are a 100 different ways to score a goal.

I do think that it is really annoying if a player uses one particular tactic all the time - then I'd consider him a cheap player who I wouldn't want to play against.

But, the tactics you listed aren't cheap or annoying on their own. Just used in the wrong way (over and over again).

Then again, that's all just my opinion. I'd love to play with you Dash (we even have to next week, I think :D) - I (and my opponents, I hope) always had fun playing.

maxmars said:
When Toad or Diddy pass over the goalie, shake the wiimote and Kritter will wake up from his comatose status.
oh, I didn't even knew that. I always forget to shake the Nunchuk when the opponent charges a mega-strike as well. >_<

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dash Kappei said:

I was mentioned positively :p

I wouldnt say that using these techniques are that bad. It gets bad if someone is doing one trick over and over and over again. Especially against weaker players who loose their will to play that game then afterwards. If I see that something works TOO well on an opponent I let it be. For example if my Opponent lets slip 5/6 Megashots then I wont do them anymore.
I try to look that the other one is having fun too =)

(btw this is not a rule you should apply to me, I want to be hammered down. I need the straight forward thing to learn :lol )

EDIT:
Updated my first post in the thread and am off to bed.

*snores*

fresquito

Dash Kappei said:
I'd hate to get all the CUP board against me but I feel that I have to say this.
I feel I'm entitled to speak since I'm one of the lesser player and I get hammered all the time, still I continue to play fair and square and I think everybody who played against me can honestly say this.
I thought that the whole point of this CUP was to create a good circle of Strikers friends to play with and to a lesser extent avod all the annoying player that too often we encounter online. So what's the point of using ANNOYING cheap tactics against each others? I won't make names, you know who you are. Let's just say that I personally have no fun (even if in the end I won) playing if you are going to do things like:

Since I play with FRIENDScode mates to have fun, and to me there's no fun in that, it's fair to say that if you know you're gonna play like that please don't envite me nor accept my envite.

Sorry, far from being anal (opposite really) just wanna have fun and relax on the sofa since I get frustrated enough during the day :)

Fresquito holy shit dude, you're too damn good for me (6 to 0!), maybe I'll be able to challenge you... never:lol Hope you ad a bit of fun anyway, sorry!
Hey, of course I had fun. Next time I will be a less "mechanical" with you and try to give you a bit more air ;)

BTW, I agree with you. I always try to play fair, however, I don't think those things are cheap enough. I mean, they don't always work. What irritates me is seeing someone try and try and try and try the same thing over and over and over again. I can play you with Waluigi and if I see the chance, you can bet I will try to avoid your GK by using the teleport. However, and that's the thing, I won't be trying to do it ALL the time. It's a bit frustrating to see someone trying to get through your GK all the time. Not because he will win you, I play with Boo and I can do the same, but because it breaks the sense of playing against a human being. It's like playing against an old fashioned AI where the only command is to do Boo's trick.

BTW, I had a close match against tanasten. I lost both, but not by much. I feel like I'm improving. Last time we played he beated me to a pulp :lol

maxmars

Haunted, that's empirical, but I was in this match with a guy and he kept scoring that way, goalie always passive.

Then it dawned on me I could try shaking the wiimote and he's always been tackled by kritter that way.

The guy got nervous and I proceded to win the series. :D

nli10

I have not yet played a friends match where I haven't had a massive smile on my face and tried to use a variety of tactcs to win (usually unsucessfully).

I was shocked when I played Tanasten and he ghosted my goalie, so naturally I tried that out in the next few matches I played. Its no different to toad leaping the goalie or other d-pad moves that allow quick goals as it relies on very exact positioning to work - he's just good at it. When players cheese the same move (like the hammer bros thing that one guy did every single time either of his had the ball) it gets annoying, but I don't think I've done any move to the point where anyone would say it's a conscious tactic, and neither has anyone on this thread I've played.

Cornering yourself with bananas (or waluigi) for a megastrike is a little different and seems more unfair to me, but Mario Strikers is an odd game in that every move item & tactic seems unfair and random if used at the wrong time. The characters that can make you fall over with their special even if you are nowhere near them seem overpowered as they seem to prevent all decent megastrikes and breakaways.

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:

Also, every sidekick has a special ability.. If you take it out for some sidekicks they will be at a disadvantage; we'll have to learn how to minimise the effect of the other players' special features....

Well, I think I have to right to play at least friendly matches with people whom I know I wil have fun with. To me playing with a broken record who does the same thing over and over and over it's not fun to say the least.

They NEVER (99% of the times) score me jumping the goalie with Toad, but that's not the point. If someone wanna win so bad then let him play with somebody else I say.

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:
Please see if you can play this match tomorrow. You have time until 23:59 gmt...

As I told Kkg in PM and here, I don't think I'll be able to do so tomorrow since I have a train to catch the next morning.
Anyway, if I can I'll let him know as I already tolf him.

Haunted

maxmars said:
Haunted, that's empirical, but I was in this match with a guy and he kept scoring that way, goalie always passive.

Then it dawned on me I could try shaking the wiimote and he's always been tackled by kritter that way.

The guy got nervous and I proceded to win the series. :D
:D very cool. I wonder if that works against Boo as well. *ponders*

And goddamnit at all the good players here. I'm about level with Toma and Jaded Alyx, but fresquito, tanasten and drake appear to be even better than that. How the hell am I supposed to get my custom tag now!?
emot-argh.gif

:lol I'm loving it.

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
:D very cool. tanasten

Yeah, I had a couple of "on the edge" matches with him and I was grinning my teeth though every tackle :lol

He's really good and, you see, Tanasten sometimes uses the Dry Bones technique but he's certainly not annoying, far from it: I hope I've explained myself better now :)

Anyway, I'm sure that if we were to write down our Captain and sides NOW, our GafCup teams would look juuuuust a little little bit different (it's true for me at least)... am I right?:D

Dash Kappei

fresquito said:
It's a bit frustrating to see someone trying to get through your GK all the time. Not because he will win you, I play with Boo and I can do the same, but because it breaks the sense of playing against a human being.

BTW, I had a close match against tanasten. I lost both, but not by much. I feel like I'm improving. Last time we played he beated me to a pulp :lol

And about Tanasten: so he wasn't really trying when he played me (since you old-schooled me so hard that I never stood a chance)... sob, here I was, thinking I had improved my game :-/

Wes

venison crêpe
Apologies for people due to play me. I haven't been able to set up my Wii at all since moving house. Been too pressed for time. Is there any way they can be defaulted with a victory seeing as this is completely my fault? They did try to arrange a match but it's been I who hasn't been able to compete.

I'm truly sorry for messing everyone about like this. Was not my intention.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
People, I just had a game with a guy (don't know the name) that scored me 7 - 0 on the third round. He was using 2 Boo, one Drybones and Yoshi.

The tactic was simple: (one I used commonly in the past)

He was getting the ball with the a Boo, started to charge the ball with B, then using the ghost move to check out from the strike, passing to the other Boo, repeating the same process until he saw Yoshi free... then did an aerial to Yoshi who scored 8 strikes from 9! like that.

Any idea on how to stop this kind of game?

taking the ball to the Boo isn't easy at all, killing the aerials was very hard due to his team speed (I used Bowser and had Birdo in, meanwhile Boo and Drybones helped a lot), and the impressive scoring rate is driving me mad.

The only way I see to stop him is cover zones instead of trying to take the ball (something very hard due to the two Boo), but you need a very quick team to follow him.

I'm a bit sad, because I think for the first time since I play the game.... that I need to select a different team to be able to win. :(

Wes said:
Apologies for people due to play me. I haven't been able to set up my Wii at all since moving house. Been too pressed for time. Is there any way they can be defaulted with a victory seeing as this is completely my fault? They did try to arrange a match but it's been I who hasn't been able to compete.

I'm truly sorry for messing everyone about like this. Was not my intention.

I'll play when you're ready. I think no one will be angry enough to deny it.

Dash Kappei said:

And about Tanasten: so he wasn't really trying when he played me (since you old-schooled me so hard that I never stood a chance)... sob, here I was, thinking I had improved my game :-/

Oh no sir, you did it quite well. Just think off playing styles. I might find someone who beats me and you may have beaten him up. That doesn't mean you're better than me, just that you defeated the style of play of the person who has defeated me.

kkg1701

Well since Dash can't play today, it's my loss on walkover. How do I put that down?

Stupid reason to miss the game too :( I was playing GalCiv2 and was happily designing spaceships and my alarm didn't go off :(

Hope we can play for fun sometime Dash, from the sound of it I think we're close in level :)

KK

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Is it too late to ask to be submitted to this? Mario Strikers came out today in Australia and I grabbed my copy.

edit: nvm I just read the first page a bit more thoroughly. Best of luck to the players!

maxmars

kk and Wes, no problem if you didn't manage to play, there's always something more important to do in life (yesterday in the middle of a match with Dash I had to leave to bring some water to kids in bed)..

You'll be defaulted a defeat for the match if you can't report a match in time for 23:59 gmt today, but as long as you don't have a problem with that everything's fine. :)

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Anyway, I'm sure that if we were to write down our Captain and sides NOW, our GafCup teams would look juuuuust a little little bit different (it's true for me at least)... am I right?:D
Totally! I would have a new secondary team captain (Diddy Kong instead of Mario) and would replace one or two of my sidekicks (Birdo instead of Hammer Bros., maybe even Shy Guy).

But I really have to say: the game is incredibly balanced. After two weeks of playing online I cannot see a combination that is simply 'stronger' than any other combination I can come up with. It's all about different playing styles, reacting to your opponents and using as diverse tactics as possible. Fantastic job on balancing all the captains and sidekicks by next level games.

edit: Although I've seen quite a few Warios pop up in the last few days - looks like people are loving his fart move.

edit edit: When are next week's matches due to be scheduled? I want to play in the Cup ASAP again. :D

Dash Kappei

kkg1701 said:
Well since Dash can't play today, it's my loss on walkover. How do I put that down?

I can play now if you're up to it!
I'm home for a while doing the luggages... let me know.
I'll send you a PM.

Dash Kappei

speedpop said:
Is it too late to ask to be submitted to this? Mario Strikers came out today in Australia and I grabbed my copy.

edit: nvm I just read the first page a bit more thoroughly. Best of luck to the players!

Remember to write down your FC on the Official thread.

maxmars

Come on Toma, please update those stats you drafted yesterday, whenever you have time. This evening we kick out the new week matches. :D

We'll do three matches for the next week, both as a test (let's see how many we can play in a week) and as a way to start semi finals the week after, otherwise people may start to leave for vacations (not me, unfortunately).

Basically you will have to play against the people of your group that you didn't play this week.

tanasten

I can say that a team of quick and balanced characters is the best combination. Just learn how to score a no one will score you.

My current team for official is: Daisy, Toad, Boo and Drybones... and almost no one scores me a goal meanwhile I have an easy way to pass the goalie with any character.

With this team I killed number 7 and number 10, with more than five goals of difference.

So a quick team is the better.

Toma

So you say the remaining matches for this week are already cancelled?
I thought they have time until 24:00 GMT for their last ones. I wanted to update the chart with the last 3 missing matches (Wes - Toma , Wes - Tanasten, Dash - Kkg) after 24 GMT today.
If I got something wrong just telll me :)

maxmars

Yes there's still matches to be played, but a score card should be updated as often and soon as possible.. But whatever works best for you. :)

Toma

Besides those 3 games everything else should already be included (e.g. the games from yesterday)
I also wrote (in one of my edits) that I have updated it.

Did I miss something?

maxmars

I don't see listed the following matches:

NLi10 0 (1) - Tanasten 2 (11)
MasterMFauli: 2 (8) - Maxmars: 1 (7)

I am referring to post 118, your original score card, which is still missing the above two games.. Or did you put those somewhere else?

Toma

Post 152

EDIT:
<- likes to edit

I will put that chart in MY first post on the first page of the thread. There I will update as fast as I can without spamming the thread over and over again.

;)

maxmars

Today at midnight the second, and last, week of the preliminary draft will start. We've already had a good taste of which players are the best and which the rest (among them, yours truly!), but let me thank you all for being fair people and contributing to the fun! Every one!

We didn't have a single dispute this week and only a modicum of SNAFU, which considering time zones, the absolute novelty, never having played together, life, etc etc, it's a testament to your dedication and general fair play. Good job, guys!

Without much further ado, here's to you..

Group A matches for the week: Fri Jun 8th - Thu Jun 14th

Koren-Capndrake
Koren-Fresquito
Haunted One-Koren
Kawaii-Kkg1701
Kawaii-Fresquito
Capndrake-Kawaii
Kkg1701-Capndrake
Haunted One-Kkg1701
Fresquito-Haunted One

The rules for reporting match results are in the second message of this thread.

Good luck Group A!

maxmars

Group B matches for the week: Fri Jun 8th - Thu Jun 14th

Wes-MasterMFauli
Wes-Maxmars
Nli10-Wes
Tanasten-Toma
Tanasten-Maxmars
MasterMFauli-Tanasten
Toma-MasterMFauli
Nli10-Toma
Maxmars-Nli10

The rules for reporting match results are in the second message of this thread.

Good luck Group B!

tanasten

God, now that I don't use the GAF tournament team I know I'm going to have trouble playing you all.

Well, tonight from 21:00 GTM I will be online to match those rivals.

Toma, Maxmars, MasterMFauli.

See you there.

BTW, MasterMFauli add me to your friend list.

Dash Kappei

I managed to be online now and for a while I'll be available to play. So KKg if you want we can play the match you missed yesterday.
Also, Capndrake, Fresquito, Haunted One would be ok for you playing our match now (or tonight or whatever)? I mean, in case you're online can we play for the tournament? I dunno if I'll be able to hook up my Wii to a broadband connection during next week since I won't be at home... btw, if you can't/wan't nevermind!

I'll see if I'll be able to play, otherwise 3 points straight to my opponents ;)

Ciao,
Dash

kkg1701

Sorry Dash. I was occupied all evening (just got home). We'll definitely play some other time but not in this tournament I'm afraid :(

KK

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Also, Capndrake, Fresquito, Haunted One would be ok for you playing our match now (or tonight or whatever)? I mean, in case you're online can we play for the tournament? I dunno if I'll be able to hook up my Wii to a broadband connection during next week since I won't be at home... btw, if you can't/wan't nevermind!

I'll see if I'll be able to play, otherwise 3 points straight to my opponents ;)

Ciao,
Dash
:( Sorry Dash, I couldn't check the thread yesterday and I won't be online with the Wii today either. I will try to be online on the weekend (at least on one evening) and I'll definitely be available at the start of next week. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

I'll PM my opponents (Dash, kk, fresquito) on Saturday for further details.

Gotta go now, and see you all online. :)

maxmars

Since we've had no result for some of the matches, please Toma consider them as follows:

Group A:

Kkg1701 0(0) - Dash Kappei 2(4)

Group B:

Toma 2(4) - Wes 0(0)
Wes 0(0) - Tanasten 2(4)

A default win is 2-0, much like football (at least in Italy); there need to be at least two games for each match, hence the four goals.

fresquito

maxmars said:
Since we've had no result for some of the matches, please Toma consider them as follows:

Group A:

Kkg1701 0(0) - Dash Kappei 2(4)

Group B:

Toma 2(4) - Wes 0(0)
Wes 0(0) - Tanasten 2(4)

A default win is 2-0, much like football (at least in Italy); there need to be at least two games for each match, hence the four goals.
In football is 3-0, but 2-0 is good enough :)

maxmars

fresquito said:
In football is 3-0, but 2-0 is good enough :)

Oh thanks, I am not current with the real life sport.. But for simplicity sake (i.e. not changing stuff every two minutes) let's keep 2 goals at least for this tourney.

Toma

Sooooooooooo guys! Sry I couldnt be hear yesterday but I was busy in winning a strikers tournament with 7 other friends xD
We played with "guests" so 2 on 2 teams. AND I tell you xD Maaaaan this game rocks on "parties". I cant imagine being everybody so brought up in a couple of WE/PES matches (I looooove PES). Okay so 6 of the other guys just began training a few days ago but the one guy who owned one copy of the game was totally mad about losing 4 times in a row in the finals :lol
Anyways I am off to train now guys. You are getting better and better and I have to do something ;)

Non-Edit EDIT:
Updated the chart on the first page

maxmars

My plans for the week: very busy with life on we, no big problems on the rest of the week.

I may or may not be online this evening and sunday, certainly not on saturday.
From monday on i should be online, as always, from GMT 21:00 on. Let's meet online.

nli10

maxmars said:
My plans for the week: very busy with life on we, no big problems on the rest of the week.

I may or may not be online this evening and sunday, certainly not on saturday.
From monday on i should be online, as always, from GMT 21:00 on. Let's meet online.

I'm after sound beatings by Toma, Maxmars & Wes this week - it seems that more of you are on later evenings so I shall try hard to be on Monday night at 10pm BST (9pm GMT) and a bit before. As I work early I stop playing a bit before you guys do :D

Anyone I miss then I shall PM for later meetings up. Toma & Wes I set up, Maxmars is away (this bit is to remind me :) )

Whoo, sorry, totally forgot about the cup while playing Custom Robo Arena ^^

Tanasten, Toma, Wes, would be nice if i could play 2 of those matches tomorrow. Who is there? ^^

Also, why do i have to play against Toma 2 times? Not that i afraid of :p , i just wonder, as he´s the only one with 2 matches.

Toma

MasterMFauli said:
Tanasten, Toma, Wes, would be nice if i could play 2 of those matches tomorrow. Who is there? ^^

Also, why do i have to play against Toma 2 times? Not that i afraid of :p , i just wonder, as he´s the only one with 2 matches.

Erm. No one forces you to play 2 matches with me but if you WANT to... ;)

Dont know what you saw or looked at but here are the matches for this round:

Wes-MasterMFauli
Tanasten-Toma
MasterMFauli-Tanasten
Toma-MasterMFauli
Nli10-Toma

3 games for you, 3 games for me. And one if them is a match between the two of us =)
I think I can be there tomorrow. When are you online tomorow? Because I think we have to readd each other when you are online. you are still not in my list.. =( Stupid Wifi Thingy...

Tanasten or Nli online today? Would like to play the match today if possible =)

Another one of my beloved EDITs:

Haunted One... You can come for me. I am prepared.

:D

kurosawa

I'm late to the party, but if anyone here wants to practice with a novice on a friendly match, just tell me :)

my FC is 141834 625461
my mii is rui
my team is: DK | Hammer | Toad | Dry Bones

Toma

kurosawa said:
I'm late to the party, but if anyone here wants to practice with a novice on a friendly match, just tell me :)

my FC is 141834 625461
my mii is rui
my team is: DK | Hammer | Toad | Dry Bones

Everybody is looking for some good Friendcode-Friends to have some nice matches =)

Everybody interested in playing is on the first page. I dont have my number in mind but I would gladly like to play if you add me =)

(hint: Dont, never never never ever, play against Tanasten. Even if you are getting better and think you are good he will crush your bones in the match. Or be prepared for whats to come if you play against him :lol )

Looking forward in fear to our match, Tanasten =/

Toma

Argh! Wifi Connection doesnt let me in =(

"I AM ERROR 20100"

I am trying it now for the 30th time or so. But I have hope! (Because the error messages are changing) At least I am not stuck with the same problem over and over again :)

EDIT:
Now I am stuck with the "not able to load your statistics" problem

EDIT 2:
I am in!!

Top Bottom