• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Strikers Charged World GAF Cup

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yeah okay maybe I am also not thaaat bad =) But Tanasten is still in a whole other league.

Sooo if you would like some advice =)

First of all you have to train the use of items more. I think they can make a really big difference if you just keep an open Eye on yours and the opponents Items. For Example to try a Special shot when nobody is in Range for kicking you is okay. But if he still has a koopa shell you should just wait until he used that. Then try to just use Items either if you know you will score or if you have to defend yourself from a 100% goal. You used them in the field sometimes to just get rid of my other people without doing something harmful for my goal :)

Theeen the abilities of you characters and to know how to use them. Dry Bones is able to roll into the goal if the ball is charged (then he rolls farther) and all the moves with which you can evade your opponents attacks. You can train in the online matches how the others are behaving and then evade their attacks. For example I am shooting with Koopa and know you will attack me then I am using the "Evade move" from Koopa in just that moment and shoot again.

And last train the Megastrikes =) Maybe put up some Vs Matches against the AI and let them do hard megastrikes as fast as they can.

Sry if you dont want to hear these hints whatever. This game just has some tactics which are quite "interesting" and I would have really appreciated if someone told me earlier :lol

kurosawa

Thanks for the tips, Toma :)
Some of the things you say, I already got them, but not with the accuracy and efficiency you and other guys I caught in online manage to achieve. I have to practice harder... for example, when i was clear i would do a skillshot and only after i realized that from that distance, it could never be a goal. :D

Practice, that's what I need... and then... I'll take Tanasten -_-

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
A friend of mine who also owns the game and me are sometimes talking about some things in the game and how the other one doesnt know that. Here is the list what one of us didnt know (maybe one or two of you also dont know about that):

1. You can shake the Nunchuk to disturb the other one when he "Megastrikes"

2. If the opponent passes the ball through the air you can steal the ball by pressing Z + A or Z+B if you are standing in front of the player who will get the ball. These moves make the character jump and catch the ball. Z+A is passing and Z+B is shooting. (I once could make it to steal the ball with Z+B and directly shoot the goal :D )

3. If you are shooting and loading the ball you can still use the moves on your Digipad (Evasion moves) to get by the enemies attacks. Then you have to charge the Shot again but you evaded (If timed correctly). However you CANT use these moves if your captain uses the megashot. So decide before its too late whether you want that shot or not.

4. You can also load the ball by pressing B (Shot) and then press A or Z+A to pass the powered ball to another player. Very good if you are in your half and nobody is attacking you so you can charge, pass and score or if you are trying to shoot and see that the opponents coming. So you can still keep the charged ball when you are passing.

5. If the ball was shot at the Goalie and the ball flies back to you you can use Z+B to try to get the ball over the goalie. Often Kritter (the goalie) stumbles and falls if hes to far away from his goal.

6. Okay that may sound a bit... logical.. but my friend played through the Crystal cup and didnt know that. If you a shooting you can press the analog stick in that direction to give the ball a spin.

7. Some of the special moves of the minor characters are also getting stronger when the ball is fully charged. -> Dry Bones, Boo and mabe all the "jumping" moves. They dont actually jump higher, faster or whatever. But I got the impression that if you tried to jump over the goalie with a charged ball it was more succesfull than with an uncharged one (I made a 10 min match where I just tried to jump over the goalie with charged and uncharged balls)

8. You can get items by charging/shooting OR when the opponent fouls you without your character having the ball. It DOESNT matter whether you use the "foul-move" or the "steal-move" In both cases the opponent gets an item if they dont have the ball when you foul.

9. If you have 2 Items you can change the order of use by shaking the Nunchuk.

Practice, that's what I need... and then... I'll take Tanasten -_-
As in every sport and game. Training is essential =)
You have high goals,honorable, but then dont come complaining how he completely destroyed you =P

nli10

Toma - if you wish to play me today that is cool - I will finish up here then pop online and see if you are about :D

Toma, whoops, misread something...

Anyway, tomorrow? Tomorrow would have to be a bit earlier.

16 GMT/ 17 German time?

Also, Tanasten, Wes, anyone online today´s evening? Oherwise we´d have to play the matches on thursday, as im not home tuesday and wednesday :)

nli10

nli10 said:
Toma - if you wish to play me today that is cool - I will finish up here then pop online and see if you are about :D

Changed my mind - don't want to play anymore :lol

8-0 5-0 (and then 7-0 5-1 in friendly :D )

so for the official record 13 (2) Toma - 0 (0) NLi10

I really need to play some matches in between these cup matches don't I... :)

Toma

nli10 said:
I really need to play some matches in between these cup matches don't I... :)

At first I also did just the matches with the Gafguys. Then Haunted One has beaten me bad and I had to go train too.
I played now for 4 hours and my hand hurts :D

MFauli -> 17:00 German time is okay. If you are still online today you can also pm me =)

nli10

kurosawa said:
Just add me. Seems like we're in the same league :D

Will add you in a sec but I can't play for a bit - I really need to get some housework done then go get some food...

If you see me on anytime feel free to invite me though :) Maybe after all this is over we can have a championship/Seria B while the others have a Premiership/Seria A :lol

I just need to play more - I must have played less than 50 matches total (online & off) so far.

Toma

kurosawa said:
Just add me. Seems like we're in the same league :D

You are a bit better i think. Can I bet? 5 Kudos on Kuro :lol

j/k :)

nli10

Toma said:
You are a bit better i think. Can I bet? 5€ on Kuro :lol

j/k :)

I tend to have problems scoring against people who play well, but online if I find average players like me I seem to score a few goals. I think I'd bet on Kuro too :D

Just played the computer on the challenge mode for practice while I waited for the washing to finish and the computer kept doing the Waluigi/dry bones trick on me... Seems the game designers taught the AI a thing or two!

Must be linked to the difficulty level as they didn't do that in the first cup (which I have won before!)

Toma

Guys I just lost a match to... "1UP" ...

*depressed*

maxmars

Two things -- firstly I mistakenly listed koren instead of dash , I will update my post but for the time being just know that.

Secondly I could play with koren, welcome back and good match chap. Very close!

maxmars

nli10 said:
I'm after sound beatings by Toma, Maxmars & Wes this week - it seems that more of you are on later evenings so I shall try hard to be on Monday night at 10pm BST (9pm GMT) and a bit before. As I work early I stop playing a bit before you guys do :D

Anyone I miss then I shall PM for later meetings up. Toma & Wes I set up, Maxmars is away (this bit is to remind me :) )

Nli10, I will be online tomorrow at exactly 21 gmt and if the kids allow even a bit earlier. Thanks for staying up late for the match. :)

Toma

Jaded Alyx said:
It's the Nunchuck.

And while I have the chance, can I just say CURSE YOU TOMA!

"It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny." :D

Noooo he curses me right in the middle of the gaf tournament!! Can we have a rule that forbids curses through the time of the tournament?

(thx for telling me the mistake I made)

Just because I got interested... does anyone know whether a default win is 3-0 also in other parts of the world?

maxmars

Dash Kappei said:
In Italy is 3-0. :)

Just out of curiosity , when did that happen? I think it should be a relatively recent thing, as when I still played and followed football it was 2-0. It was in the early 80ies, though.:lol

nli10

maxmars said:
Nli10, I will be online tomorrow at exactly 21 gmt and if the kids allow even a bit earlier. Thanks for staying up late for the match. :)

OK - even if the girlfriend decends and complains about me hogging the big TV I shall try to be online from 9:50-10:10 BST (which is I'm pretty sure 21:00 GMT). It's not staying up too late - if I play past 11 though I get tired and loose even worse than usual!

As you are hosting the match when I notice you are online I shall play Picross until you invite me to the match :D (DS is handy for this).

Ed: and the terrible thing is the default 2-0 losses I will recieve when I go on holiday may well end up being my best result. Must. Try. To. Practice...

maxmars

nli10 said:
OK - even if the girlfriend decends and complains about me hogging the big TV I shall try to be online from 9:50-10:10 BST (which is I'm pretty sure 21:00 GMT). It's not staying up too late - if I play past 11 though I get tired and loose even worse than usual!

As you are hosting the match when I notice you are online I shall play Picross until you invite me to the match :D (DS is handy for this).

Ed: and the terrible thing is the default 2-0 losses I will recieve when I go on holiday may well end up being my best result. Must. Try. To. Practice...

Yes, BST is GMT +01:00, correct!

As for DS.. I find it a very nice complement to the Wii in these circumstances. I always keep the opera browser handy so that I can keep my Wii hooked wiht MSC and post / browse the forum. Killer combination.

I didn't play much Picross as I've bought that for my mother and she's some 20 miles away, but I hear it's quite good.

Re: being good: I'm afraid I'm not that good either, my friend. But that doesn't keep me from having fun. :lol

Haunted

Toma said:
At first I also did just the matches with the Gafguys. Then Haunted One has beaten me bad and I had to go train too.
muhahahaha! :D

I haven't really played since last week. You're all gaining on me/widening the gap. :(

Toma said:
Just because I got interested... does anyone know whether a default win is 3-0 also in other parts of the world?
It's 3:0 everywhere. Official FIFA rule.

fresquito - still waiting on your confirmation to play our game tonight. I'm free from 18:00 to 19:50 GMT and from 20:20 to 22:00 GMT.

kkg1701

which stadium is round 2 being played on?

KK

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought we were going to have different stadiums per rounds.

Haunted

kkg1701 said:
which stadium is round 2 being played on?

KK

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought we were going to have different stadiums per rounds.
I hope we'll change the stadiums around a bit for the next Cup. The game is full of crazy awesome arenas, would be a shame to ignore them all to play in the default one only.

Toma

Haunted One said:
I hope we'll change the stadiums around a bit for the next Cup. The game is full of crazy awesome arenas, would be a shame to ignore them all to play in the default one only.

First of all we should end this one xD
Has anyone seen MFauli? We wanted to meet now. (17:00 German Time)

=(

EDIT:
Haunty... I HAAAAAAAATE that arena xD ****ing Crystal shit. Bad memories with the finals of the crystal cup there -.-

But otherwise good matches =)
(5:2, 1:6, 1:4 -> training made me a better player again =) finally got the better of you :p )

Haunted

Toma said:
First of all we should end this one xD
Has anyone seen MFauli? We wanted to meet now. (17:00 German Time)

=(

EDIT:
Haunty... I HAAAAAAAATE that arena xD ****ing Crystal shit. Bad memories with the finals of the crystal cup there -.-

But otherwise good matches =)
(5:2, 1:6, 1:4 -> training made me a better player again =) finally got the better of you :p )
oops, sorry if I got in the way of your scheduled game somehow. Definitely wasn't my intention.

Anyway...you definitely improved because of your training. :) you didn't let me get any items, I think that was the key to your win in the first series. Couldn't do anything against your high balls (how do you intercept those regularly?)

The ****ed up nature of Crystal Canyon helped me out in the second series (Although I don't like that arena as well (chose it randomly)).

I feel that my Diddy Kong team is the better one of my two squads, because I have two reliable shooters instead of only one on the Yoshi team. I also like Diddy's special better. So get ready to encounter that more often after this Cup is over and I can officially switch. :D

maxmars

Why not changing formation and stadium between preliminary draft and final phase.. Would that be ok with you guys? In case, which stadium would you prefer?

Toma

Haunted One said:
oops, sorry if I got in the way of your scheduled game somehow. Definitely wasn't my intention.

No you didnt got in the way because wasnt there =(

Haunted One said:
Anyway...you definitely improved because of your training. :) you didn't let me get any items, I think that was the key to your win in the first series. Couldn't do anything against your high balls (how do you intercept those regularly?)

Toma said:
First of all you have to train the use of items more. I think they can make a really big difference if you just keep an open Eye on yours and the opponents Items.

What I just said... I try to use them more efficiently and try to not give away items for the opponent. With the right items a goal is a given.

Toma said:
2. If the opponent passes the ball through the air you can steal the ball by pressing Z + A or Z+B if you are standing in front of the player who will get the ball. These moves make the character jump and catch the ball. Z+A is passing and Z+B is shooting. (I once could make it to steal the ball with Z+B and directly shoot the goal )
-> Post 204

I said in in a post up on this page =) It is reeeeally important to use that. I also scored a goal that way in our match ;)

Haunted One said:
Why not changing formation and stadium between preliminary draft and final phase.. Would that be ok with you guys? In case, which stadium would you prefer?

NOOOO crystal arena. And maybe we should just end this tournament with the standard one. And are making a better plan for the next tournament.

EDIT:

What are you doing? @ Haunty o_O
First I saw a 5:1 win ratio in your statistics and a minute later it was 6:0
A minute ago you had a 8:1 win ratio and now 9:0.

I want to be able to do that too =(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
maxmars said:

I think having random stadiums would be a lot more fun AND would give to the lesser players a chance to win some games because, in those quirky arenas, anything can happen :)

(about forfait wins: It seems you got a bit confused (ahhh, la vecchiaia! We need our daily Brain Training!:D ) since it's the official FIFA rule and it's the same everywhere in the world.)

Haunted

ah, thanks for the tips, Toma. Just doesn't seem to work that often for me. :(

Just played a guy who always did the Boo-trick (vanishing into the goalie + shoot), lost 7:2 because he used it over and over. :( Frustrating experience.

Toma said:
What are you doing? @ Haunty o_O
First I saw a 5:1 win ratio in your statistics and a minute later it was 6:0
A minute ago you had a 8:1 win ratio and now 9:0.

I want to be able to do that too =(
:lol I guess that happens when people drop out on me 10 seconds before the end of the game because I'm in the lead and they have no chance of winning.

At first, the system registers it as connection lost and both get a loss, but then the system recognises that only one is the guilty party (I guess). People dropped out on me 3 times mere seconds before the games were over just today. Sore losers FTL. :(

Dash Kappei

CAPNDRAKE, HAUNTED ONE and FRESQUITO
I've sent you all PMs so that we can arrange our matches between tomorrow and the day after. As I told before I'm not at home in Milan anymore and I'll be in Rome since next Monday. Here at my parents I don't have broadband, so I'll manage to play at my gf's house and I'll be able to do so tomorrow (tue) or the day after (wed) between 19:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT. Just answer my PMs asap so that we can arrange time and day of our matches in a way that, hopefully, should work fine for both of us.

I'll be sure to check my PM (better then answer the thread since PMs are easily spotted when you're browsing GAF) at least twice a day from now to wednesday afternoon.

Ciao!
Dash

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
CAPNDRAKE, HAUNTED ONE and FRESQUITO
I've sent you all PMs so that we can arrange our matches between tomorrow and the day after. As I told before I'm not at home in Milan anymore and I'll be in Rome since next Monday. Here at my parents I don't have broadband, so I'll manage to play at my gf's house and I'll be able to do so tomorrow (tue) or the day after (wed) between 19:00 GMT and 21:00 GMT. Just answer my PMs asap so that we can arrange time and day of our matches in a way that, hopefully, should work fine for both of us.

I'll be sure to check my PM (better then answer the thread since PMs are easily spotted when you're browsing GAF) at least twice a day from now to wednesday afternoon.

Ciao!
Dash
Already answered.

Man, I just ****ed up my stats. Lost 6 games in a row. Don't know what's wrong. :/

edit: Make that 8 games. Man, with the two games I lost against Toma, I've had 10 losses today. *shakes head* I fear for my Cup games tonight. :lol

maxmars

To be honest I'm against random stadiums because the ones with effects (most new ones) get in the way of players.. Would you like your last shot to be blocked by a cow? Or your team to be decimated in crystal stadium?

Also, let's keep it simple! Host should not make mistakes in setup so we want to keep it simple.

Haunted

maxmars said:
To be honest I'm against random stadiums because the ones with effects (most new ones) get in the way of players.. Would you like your last shot to be blocked by a cow? Or your team to be decimated in crystal stadium?
Totally! part of the game and all that.

The majority should decide before we start the next Cup though.

Toma

Haunted One said:
ah, thanks for the tips, Toma. Just doesn't seem to work that often for me. :(

Just played a guy who always did the Boo-trick (vanishing into the goalie + shoot), lost 7:2 because he used it over and over. :( Frustrating experience.

Your player has just to stand VERY close to the player who will catch that ball. In fact he can even stand behind him. And you have to time that right. Its a bit tricky, but once you got the hang of it =)

And that Boo thing. Its hard if the other player uses it mixed with different tactics but for such fellas I just keep one Item, one player and one eye especially for Boo. Normally there wasnt a player who had 3 boos. If its just one you can keep an eye on him. And anyways most of the time players who play that way are week against Megastrikes.

Haunted

Toma said:
Your player has just to stand VERY close to the player who will catch that ball. In fact he can even stand behind him. And you have to time that right. Its a bit tricky, but once you got the hang of it =)

And that Boo thing. Its hard if the other player uses it mixed with different tactics but for such fellas I just keep one Item, one player and one eye especially for Boo. Normally there wasnt a player who had 3 boos. If its just one you can keep an eye on him. And anyways most of the time players who play that way are week against Megastrikes.
I wish. He was a good player, had two Boos and blocked 10 orange mega-strikes.

To be honest, I believe he would have beaten me with proper tactics as well, which makes the thing just the more frustrating. If you're good enough to play properly, why be cheap?

Toma

Haunted One said:
I wish. He was a good player, had two Boos and blocked 10 orange mega-strikes.

To be honest, I believe he would have beaten me with proper tactics as well, which makes the thing just the more frustrating. If you're good enough to play properly, why be cheap?

yup. Cant understand that either. especially if I know I win then I can use other techniques to have a bit fun myself. Anyways I love to play with you guys <3

Haunted

Just barely won against fresquito, but

1) I'm still behind him and Drake in my group and
2) he won against me in a friendly right after 2-0

So now my self-esteem and my chance reaching the semi-finals are pretty much gone. :lol

Thanks for the games, fresquito. I'll let you post the scores, as you were the home player.

kk, 30 minutes left. :p

fresquito

Haunted One said:
Just barely won against fresquito, but

1) I'm still behind him and Drake in my group and
2) he won against me in a friendly right after 2-0

So now my self-esteem and my chance reaching the semi-finals are pretty much gone. :lol

Thanks for the games, fresquito. I'll let you post the scores, as you were the home player.

kk, 30 minutes left. :p
Nah, yours was a fair win :)

I found myself quite srusty, to be honest. It's been a few days since I last played. I've been having some problems with my connection and hadn't been able to log in that much.

I don't quite remember the results. I know I won 4-1 the first and I lost 1-4 the last. But the in between round is a bit hazy to me. I think it went something like 1-3. Can you please confirm?

In any case, it's fresquito 1 - Haunted 2.

Congrats, you did pretty fine :)

Haunted

fresquito said:
Nah, yours was a fair win :)

I found myself quite srusty, to be honest. It's been a few days since I last played. I've been having some problems with my connection and hadn't been able to log in that much.

I don't quite remember the results. I know I won 4-1 the first and I lost 1-4 the last. But the in between round is a bit hazy to me. I think it went something like 1-3. Can you please confirm?

In any case, it's fresquito 1 - Haunted 2.

Congrats, you did pretty fine :)
The second game went 0:2, making the official result fresquito 1 (5) - Haunted 2 (7)

Yeah, I had lots of problems with your quick passing and shooting with your captain in the first game, but then managed to adapt a bit better and pretty much neutralised Pete Piranha for the rest of the game. :p

Man, looks like I won't pass the first round... still, I'm having tons of fun, so it's all good. :D Love the game, love playing with you guys.

fresquito

Haunted One said:
The second game went 0:2, making the official result fresquito 1 (5) - Haunted 2 (7)

Yeah, I had lots of problems with your quick passing and shooting with your captain in the first game, but then managed to adapt a bit better and pretty much neutralised Pete Piranha for the rest of the game. :p

Man, looks like I won't pass the first round... still, I'm having tons of fun, so it's all good. :D Love the game, love playing with you guys.
Yeah, same here. Only if I could schedule matches more easily...

I've only rimembered that one tactic. Little by little I began awakening different ones. That's why I beat you the friendly match. But overall, it was close :)

Haunted

I've just played another group match.

Haunted 2 (11) - kkg1701 0 (1)

Thanks for the series, Kristian! The first game was pretty close, but that 5 goal megastrike 30 seconds into the second game sealed the deal early. Sorry. :/ If you don't mind some advice: you should definitely get another heavy shooter in your team. Peach is quick, but can't shoot for shit. You were too harmless in front of the goal, so if you'd add just one more heavy shooter to your squad, you could greatly improve your scoring capabilities. :D See you online!

kkg1701

It's more like I can't place myself for sh*t to even get a chance to score :)

I also think I need to train catching megastrikes, seems every time I take a break from playing I forget how to catch them :(

But it was fun, much more than the ranked one I played earlier today. How do I stop guys who use the hammer bro spam? Nothing I usually do works for me.

Maybe I should try out Wario instead of Peach, but it's hard I like Peach too much :)

KK

Haunted

kkg1701 said:
It's more like I can't place myself for sh*t to even get a chance to score :)

I also think I need to train catching megastrikes, seems every time I take a break from playing I forget how to catch them :(

But it was fun, much more than the ranked one I played earlier today. How do I stop guys who use the hammer bro spam? Nothing I usually do works for me.
Glad you had fun as well. :)

As for the Hammer Bros. spamming.. move in as if you were to strike the Bro, but don't and keep just outside its hitting distance (train a bit offline so you can spot the right distance where he won't hit you). He will do the attack, which gives you just enough time to move in and get the ball. It's pretty easy to get the ball that way, if the other guy just spams the move - it's all about the correct timing.

kkg1701 said:
Maybe I should try out Wario instead of Peach, but it's hard I like Peach too much :)
:lol I know what you mean, I used a Shy Guy for a long time because I love his goal animations and his special shot - so cute when he jumps on that torpedo! >_<

Try replacing another midfielder if you don't want to exchange captains. :)

Toma

Kkg said:
Maybe I should try out Wario instead of Peach, but it's hard I like Peach too much

"NEXT LEVEL GAMES!! *WUHAA* ... Loosers..."

I loved to use Waluigi in every other game (Mario Party, Mario Tennis) but here I played one game and recognized that our relationship was over </3

*updated chart*

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:

Well, yes, to me that's part of the charm of the game!
And those lucky shot are in fact what can reduce the skill gap between players and give some boost to the lesser players that normally don't stand a chance against skillful Strikers :)

nli10

Hooray !! I lost !! :lol

Maxmars 2 (3) : Nli10 0 (1) i think - 2:1 then 1:0 both pretty close matches and my best results in the tournament so far so promotions all round!!

Good friendly series after too 2 all on goals but I got mine in separate games (2:0, 0:1, 0:1) so actually won a friends match for the first time (i think) :D .

We have to play again, one lucky strike either way decided every match...

maxmars

Just got bak from my match with NLi10

maxmars 2(3) - NLi10 0(1)

As you could see nli i'm quite at the same skill level as you, it's been quite balanced the whole time. You also won the rematch playing very aggressively with Daisy, good show!

I tried to invite you but it kept saying it wasn't sure you were in my zone, weird...

nli10

maxmars said:
Just got bak from my match with NLi10

maxmars 2(3) - NLi10 0(1)

As you could see nli i'm quite at the same skill level as you, it's been quite balanced the whole time. You also won the rematch playing very aggressively with Daisy, good show!

I tried to invite you but it kept saying it wasn't sure you were in my zone, weird...

How odd - it came up with busy the first time I tried to invite you, so I just tried again. Daisy is fast enough for me to do stuff with the ball, usually I end up right in front of the goal with no way to score though :lol I thought i'd nailed it with that mushroom off the kickoff, but again I failed to score. :)

Pretty sure that lag patch in the friendly was my sister uploading photos...

scoresbox said:
6. Nli10______________0:4______2:16_____0____

I've lost 8 matches now, I'm fantastic! In fairness I am actually improving but ala the red queen effect so are you guys. Wes is now the only person I haven't played - does he still post in this thread or should I PM him?

Oh - and just so it's easier to type and pronounce my tag is 'eNLI(ten)' - i like it because if you google it 95% of the hits are sad old me :)

Top Bottom