• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

Zeppelin

Just got spot 20 on a NG+ level. Not sure how I feel about the scoring mechanics though. It's a little bit too tedious to get the most out of every kill in terms of bonuses.

The game really reminds me how Arkham Asylum in how it makes you feel really powerful when fucking with the enemies' heads. I've laughed my ass of several times just listening to them trying to figure out what the hell is going on when they're walking in my caltrops. So good.

maks

Scoring mechanics actually impressed me. They keep it simple, smart, and balanced with highest point balances awarded to riskiest moves. It seems like the people going in with a strategy are rewarded for their effort. I haven't found a way to exploit it yet but I still can't figure out how the top 2-3 guys are getting their scores. They are pretty separated from the rest of us.

How would you have improved scoring while maintaining its balance?

iwEp52Iy3gXu4.jpg

Path of Silence suit is so badass! Got it on Chapter 5.

Finest ninja game ever.

Skilletor

stealth doesnt have to go hand in hand with trial and error.

I haven't once felt like this game is trial and error. I can survey any room I enter and pretty much ascertain through the amazing gameplay systems exactly what effect my actions will have. I haven't once felt like a mistake I made was because I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed, to do something just to see what would happen.

I disagree that this game is trial and error.

What situations have you encountered that you would say are trial and error?

I disagree that this game is trial and error.
I feel the same. I can understand some of the later wall traps or lightning flashes causing some deaths for the first time, but the game provides you the means to detect those traps ahead of time, so any deaths or failures come about from not being mindful of your surroundings, which is fair.

Getting spotted also doesn't necessarily mean failure. You're given plenty of mobility to get the duck out of fodge with grapples and jumps as well as the means to distract, disorient, terrify and disappear as needed. Throw in the last-known-position system (which can make being spotted itself a devious ninja tactic) as well as straight up combat move variety and you've got far more options on hand to deal with challenges than any other stealth game that I can think of. Its really a best-of collection from all stealth games, but placed in a world where your actions and the enemy actions are perfectly represented and never unclear.

If the game seems like trial and error, chances are you haven't experimented enough with the tools you have, or haven't done many of the bonus areas that showcase and train in those mechanics. Some advanced techniques I didn't realize until late in the game are: stopping time mid-leap to line up the next grapple and/or use multiple ninja tools at once, throwing bodies, and hiding bodies by dropping them on top of floor grates (which causes the body to fall through to the area below).

Once I experimented more I found that I had a ton of options available most of the time.

Man, I sound like a marketer for this game - but that's all love folks. This is honestly one of the best designed games I've played in years. Here's hoping we get more content to play with, because the core gameplay is fucking solid.

Skilletor

I feel the same. I can understand some of the later wall traps or lightning flashes causing some deaths for the first time, but the game provides you the means to detect those traps ahead of time, so any deaths or failures come about from not being mindful of your surroundings, which is fair.

Getting spotted also doesn't necessarily failure. You're given plenty of mobility to get the duck out of fodge with grapples and jumps as well as the means to distract, disorient, terrify and disappear as needed. Throw in the last-known-position system (which can make being spotted itself a devious ninja tactic) as well as straight up combat move variety and you've got far more options on hand to deal with challenges than any other stealth game that I can think of. Its really a best-of collection from all stealth games, but placed in a world where your actions and the enemy actions are perfectly represented and never unclear.[/I]

I didn't even feel like that for the lightning. The thunder is an audio cue for you to wait a few seconds before moving, and until you hear another one, you're safe to move freely.

I agree with everything you've said, though. The closer I get to the end, the surer I am that I'm placing this at the top of my favorite games ever list.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
iwEp52Iy3gXu4.jpg

Path of Silence suit is so badass! Got it on Chapter 5.

Finest ninja game ever.

I just got this suit, will be fun to do ghost runs with it but killing people in this game is too satisfying. Really rewards patience but never leaves you bored.

Put a chunk of time into this last night. Absolutely loving it; can only echo most of the comments in here about "best Ninja game ever" etc.. It's just SO satisfying.

Got up to the
sandstorm level, with booby traps and bombs everywhere
Difficulty has definitely ramped up a bit now, but it's still quite fair.

Haven't tried the other costumes yet, I'm saving that stuff for NG+.

Smack Fu

Man, this is a great game. Got all the achievements and still loving it. What is really great is that I knew NOTHING about this game, didn't even knew it existed. Saw it on the new games section, thought cool, might be fun, downloaded it and didn't even play it for 2 days... but when I did I was hooked. To many games I look forward too and then I'm not to impressed. Love gems like this.

Satchel

Banned
One thing I only just noticed

The HUD design in conjunction with the dark nature on the game is not very plasma friendly.

My pana has some pretty horrible burn in of the life bar, and weapon dpad on it now. Can't get rid of it.

Vercimber

The HUD design in conjunction with the dark nature on the game is not very plasma friendly.

My pana has some pretty horrible burn in of the life bar, and weapon dpad on it now. Can't get rid of it.

I noticed the same and would recommend playing in hour-long spurts at most. Then immediately employ the scrolling bar. My burn in is completely gone now.

This is why I don't own a plasma. Almost all videogames are not "plasma friendly".

Vercimber

Scrolling bar?

Is your Panny a Viera? And a recent model? Either way, check out your remote. Near the top, you'll see a round directional pad with "OK" in the center. Over it, you'll see three buttons encircling the top. Press "Menu," the one on the left. Then scroll down the the wrench icon.

Press "OK".

Scroll down to Anti image retention. Press "OK." Scroll down to "Scrolling bar." Press "OK." Usually works like a charm. It runs for 15 minutes.

Vercimber

This is why I don't own a plasma. Almost all videogames are not "plasma friendly".

I own an LCD, LED, and Plasma, and I would suffer the burn-in issue between all of them for the RIDICULOUS increase in image quality, particularly in vibrant games with saturated colors and in older games. But I respect all of the screen types and understand the justification.

Nothin' beats the VITA screen, though, in terms of VG systems.

Satchel

Banned
Is your Panny a Viera? And a recent model? Either way, check out your remote. Near the top, you'll see a round directional pad with "OK" in the center. Over it, you'll see three buttons encircling the top. Press "Menu," the one on the left. Then scroll down the the wrench icon.

Press "OK".

Scroll down to Anti image retention. Press "OK." Scroll down to "Scrolling bar." Press "OK." Usually works like a charm. It runs for 15 minutes.

Couldn't find that. Mustn't be recent enough.

It's a viera. TH P42V20A

Skilletor

I think I'm about to finish the last mission. All I can think about is how, immediately after I finish, I'm going to run through new game plus trying not to kill or get spotted.

I think I'm about to finish the last mission. All I can think about is how, immediately after I finish, I'm going to run through new game plus trying not to kill or get spotted.

THIS.

Pretty sure I'm on the final mission now, but didn't have time to finish it last night. 1am lol.

As soon as it's done I'm doing an MGS-esque stealth+no kills run.

Game is crack.

THIS.

Pretty sure I'm on the final mission now, but didn't have time to finish it last night. 1am lol.

As soon as it's done I'm doing an MGS-esque stealth+no kills run.

Game is crack.

I am loving new game+ but it is a real challenge. The Ninja's sight is greatly reduced when looking out of vents or on the other sides of doors. Also he will not really be able to see as well behind where he is facing. It makes you really take you time with each level which is awesome.

I am loving new game+ but it is a real challenge. The Ninja's sight is greatly reduced when looking out of vents or on the other sides of doors. Also he will not really be able to see as well behind where he is facing. It makes you really take you time with each level which is awesome.

It isn't too bad with all your new skills. I just completed it with one are that gave me problems. Poison darts are your best friend.

If you don't upgrade the poison darts, I don't think they kill.
Seriously? Will have to try that out. Never used them but I figured they'd work something like the poison darts in Assassin's Creed.

Presuming I have any free gaming time in the near future that isn't consumed by Borderlands 2.

Seriously? Will have to try that out. Never used them but I figured they'd work something like the poison darts in Assassin's Creed.

Presuming I have any free gaming time in the near future that isn't consumed by Borderlands 2.

Yeah, the first makes them go crazy and shoot each other but I'm not sure if that is counted as a kill or not. It shouldn't be. If you upgrade the dart, they shoot themselves in the face after a short time and that counts as a kill for sure.

I'm on my 4th playthrough now just wrapping up all the other stuff I missed before on my other runs.

eXistor

The further I get in the game the more I appreciate it. I liked it from the start but when you start getting used to the possibilities you can really go to town. I does get a bit repetitive; most levels kind of have the same structure, but it's still hard to ignore the sheer quality the game offers in every other respect. Good shit.

NZNova

Man, I want this game, but I'm done buying things for my 360. Bring it to Steam and I'll buy the shit out of it.

NZNova

You are missing out... this is easily in my top 3 games of every XBLA title ever released.

Yeah, I know. My 360 is on its last legs, and I don't feel like buying a new one this late in the generation. I really want the game, but I'm ready to wait for a PC version. I bought Trials Evolution because I couldn't wait and now that's coming out on PC, much to my annoyance, so I won't be repeating the process again.

So due to the praise i'd seen in this thread as well as review scores I downloaded the game a few days ago and colour me impressed.
I had my doubts when I heard it was from the Shank devs, not a game I was fond of at all when I played a bit in co-op but Mark of the Ninja is absolutely leagues beyond it, while i'm not too far in yet I get the feeling this game could be one of my sleeper hits for this year, the game length i've seen thrown around could prove a bit too long for my liking but I guess we'll see.
The optional missions are a nice touch that change the way you approach certain stages, there's certainly a fair amount of stuff to do and find in each stage, 2D stealth makes for a far more enjoyable experience than I would've expected.

Unfortunately the 360's HDMI cable decided to end its own life an hour ago, so I just played through a stage using the standard doodads that come with the console and the greatly lowered screen quality combined with a very dark game was murder on my eyes, i'm still feeling the strain right now so I guess I wont be heading back as soon as i'd like, not until I can restore the visuals to their former glory.

Finished my second run last night, got all the upgrades and shrines now for 100%. Actually found it wasn't too bad with the reduced vision and stuff, but then the first play-through was still fresh in my mind.

Definitely going for a no kills play-through next time.

mujun

What the hell is with guards going on alert even when no one can see you after you smoke bomb them? I keep getting checkpointed and then having an alert trigger right after it that is impossible to avoid. Kinda irritating. Apart from that the game is all kinds of awesome.

What the hell is with guards going on alert even when no one can see you after you smoke bomb them? I keep getting checkpointed and then having an alert trigger right after it that is impossible to avoid. Kinda irritating. Apart from that the game is all kinds of awesome.

Sure one of them hasn't got a gas mask on?

There were a few sections in the game I almost raged at until I realised it was a gas mask dude in the smoke.

mujun

Sure one of them hasn't got a gas mask on?

There were a few sections in the game I almost raged at until I realised it was a gas mask dude in the smoke.

Guys with the goggles and the striped vision cones, right? Nah. One spot was like the third level of the castle, a normal guard and a sniper. Dropped a smoke bomb and got past them. Moved into a building and up some stairs miles away from either (and any probing torches/vision cones/laser sights). Triggered the checkpoint. Bout 3 seconds later an alarm triggered and every single reload of the checkpoint resulted in the same thing. Has happened a couple of times and the only solution seems to be restarting the level.

That reminds me of one very, very, terribad checkpoint the game put me in. It was a situation where you had to wait for a door to open and avoid roaming bad guys. I died once at the game placed me in shadows, with two armed and alerted guards right on top of me and a dog moments away from giving me up.

Probably took me 15 tries to get through that one, but it was the only "cheap" experience in the game for me, and even then it did force me to get creative and truly experiment with my tools and mobility to see it through, which I grudgingly respected after the fact.

Guys with the goggles and the striped vision cones, right? Nah. One spot was like the third level of the castle, a normal guard and a sniper. Dropped a smoke bomb and got past them. Moved into a building and up some stairs miles away from either (and any probing torches/vision cones/laser sights). Triggered the checkpoint. Bout 3 seconds later an alarm triggered and every single reload of the checkpoint resulted in the same thing. Has happened a couple of times and the only solution seems to be restarting the level.

No idea then, unless you've left a body around that one of the roaming guards are finding.

Top Bottom