• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

Kard8p3

Bring
Smoke Bombs and throw it right at the enemy
. You can walk right through with it. I finished that level with the same outfit, got the 'no alert' and 'no kill' bonuses.

Ah, alright, thanks! I knew they worked on lasers, but I wasnt sure about humans.

Satchel

Banned
I love how many of us have said this is the game we wanted as kids.

Never heard that about any other game before. DD or Retail.

Perfect is a pretty good word to describe this game. Love it.

Whoever voices the mercenary commander early on in the game has a legitimate shot at the title of Worst Accent I've Ever Heard. As a real life Australian I can usually tell when Americans are trying to do Australian accents, because my ears try to crawl inside my skull and die, but I honestly have no idea what this guy was going for. It's like some kind of naturalized-Maori thing with all the vowel sounds wrong that defies categorization.
So glad I got to murder him.

Anyway, this game's great. I'm really enjoying trying to ghost my way through levels, leaving nothing but a trail of noise-makers in my wake.

Zampano

I've gotten really good at leaping over guards. You can clear their line of sight from both directions. Doesn't work with later enemies.

aku:jiki

NG+ is great and should've actually been an option from the start. I'm sure a lot of people would've liked this even more. (Everything behind you is obscured from view, with a neat black-and-white/blur effect and you don't get the sound/view circles/cones.)

Whoever voices the mercenary commander early on in the game has a legitimate shot at the title of Worst Accent I've Ever Heard. As a real life Australian I can usually tell when Americans are trying to do Australian accents, because my ears try to crawl inside my skull and die, but I honestly have no idea what this guy was going for. It's like some kind of naturalized-Maori thing with all the vowel sounds wrong that defies categorization.
The russian (?) and arabic (also ?) accents are kinda bad too. I don't mind, I just think back to the dubbed ninja movies of the 80's.

How long does the game take to finish? Im pretty interested going by the trial version.
Something around 10 hours to complete the story once, like 20 hours to get all achievements. (And this game has the fun "do everything that's cool about the game" type of achievements, not stupid "play our game 8000 times for no reason" type stuff.)

Something around 10 hours to complete the story once, like 20 hours to get all achievements. (And this game has the fun "do everything that's cool about the game" type of achievements, not stupid "play our game 8000 times for no reason" type stuff.)

That's unfortunate, and the only thing holding me back from a purchase at the moment. I just don't believe 2D games like this can sustain entertainment for that long, and unfortunately some reviewers mentioned this being a problem.

This is why I hate it when people whine about games not being long enough. Developers end up building their games with those complaints in mind, and stretching things out in an effort to please those people. Then we hear statistics about how 15% of the games people purchase actually get completed.

That's unfortunate, and the only thing holding me back from a purchase at the moment. I just don't believe 2D games like this can sustain entertainment for that long, and unfortunately some reviewers mentioned this being a problem.
What about a 3D game would inherently make it more entertaining and less repetetive? Not sure I get that part of your post.

Either way, this game does not suffer from that. Anyone complaining about it getting old is simply not very creative in their gaming; they're "get from A to B" type gamers, pulling the same kill off on every single guard along the way. I guess the game would get boring if you do that, but I found that this is the type of game that entices you to get creative and mix it up. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm actually the uncreative type of gamer most of the time and need a game to pull it out of me, which I think this game does.

For example, I was pretty happy with how I solved one situation yesterday... I decided to lure one guard to where I needed him by making some noise, then I poisoned him to make him crazy and kill off the guards and dogs (which you can't kill yourself). I mean, yeah, I could've just ignored that room and the pesky dogs and called the game boring, but I made my own fun and loved it.

Skilletor

This is why I hate it when people whine about games not being long enough. Developers end up building their games with those complaints in mind, and stretching things out in an effort to please those people. Then we hear statistics about how 15% of the games people purchase actually get completed.

I'll be playing this game multiple times for dozens of hours, so I disagree. Good games never over stay their welcome.

I'm having trouble holding myself back from repeating levels before finishing the game!! Already managed to get no kills/no detections on the second level. Can't wait for new game+ to really dig in!

It's only that long if you are obsessive about getting all the scrolls and completing all the challenges and doing a no kill/no detect run. Game can easily be completed in much less time on a first run through. Also, I really don't think it has a problem with sustaining entertainment.

Anyway, this game's great. I'm really enjoying trying to ghost my way through levels, leaving nothing but a trail of noise-makers in my wake.

Given the accents on the other guys speaking normally, sounds more like Canadian voice actors.

And in what world is a 15 dollar 10-30 hour game not worth it? Good god.

What about a 3D game would inherently make it more entertaining and less repetetive? Not sure I get that part of your post.

Either way, this game does not suffer from that. Anyone complaining about it getting old is simply not very creative in their gaming; they're "get from A to B" type gamers, pulling the same kill off on every single guard along the way. I guess the game would get boring if you do that, but I found that this is the type of game that entices you to get creative and mix it up. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm actually the uncreative type of gamer most of the time and need a game to pull it out of me, which I think this game does.

For example, I was pretty happy with how I solved one situation yesterday... I decided to lure one guard to where I needed him by making some noise, then I poisoned him to make him crazy and kill off the guards and dogs (which you can't kill yourself). I mean, yeah, I could've just ignored that room and the pesky dogs and called the game boring, but I made my own fun and loved it.

To be clear, I personally believe most games that are longer than 10 hours overstay their welcome. There just aren't enough original ideas to avoid a lot of repetition over the course of 10 hours.

But, 2D games by their very nature are never as vast and large as 3D world games. There is a reason all the amazing 2D action games from yesteryear were 2,3, and maybe 4 hour experiences. Some of them were amazing, but they were "short" by today's standards, but that's because they didn't have filler. They weren't trying to make a 10 hour game. They were making a fun game, and whatever length it turned out was OK.

We all know a lot of people don't see it that way today. A lot of people cheer a game being as long as possible, regardless of why it's that long, and whether it stays entertaining that long. I've seen countless posts on this forum from people hearing about a game being completed in 4 hours. "No buy. Not at that length, for that price". Posts like that display a disdain for the craft, as they're focused on length over all else. Gameplay entertainment should be first, and everything else second in a videogame.

From what I'm reading it seems MOTN got the gameplay part right, I'm just worried it might have fallen prey to a common modern game problem. Overstaying it's welcome in an effort to appease the few.

cackhyena

I'm just worried it might have fallen prey to a common modern game problem. Overstaying it's welcome in an effort to appease the few.
It doesn't.

The only thing that grows old on me is the areas. Would have liked to see more visual variety, weather and so forth. Still, really great 2d game that stands with the best of downloadables.

Skilletor

I was playing last night and thought that the art style in this game really reminds me of Samurai Jack.

THe level design in this game is so very good. There is always more than one way to do something, more than one way to utitlize your tools, and in so doing I feel like such a badass. It's rewarding getting through each puzzle-esque encounter without being spotted.

The game doesn't get old because, thus far, it's good at introducing new elements (different types of guards, dogs, alarm systems), and giving you new moves to try out.

I HATE to be hyperbolic, especially before I finish a game, but I can see myself adding this my list of favorite games. It's something I'll likely turn back to the same way I do SotN when I want to replay something.

maks

I would say it is a 7-8hr game on first run-through for the average gamer. A completionist will take a bit more time grabbing everything and doing an NG+ run. Over 20hrs for that.

Gaspode_T

Game lives up to the hype! Go in head first and be punished...feels like a 2D Metal Gear Solid in the best way, stripped down to the juicy stealthy parts.

Kard8p3

Well, I beat it last night, went to sleep, and I just woke up, starting the NG+, can't wait! This is definitely one of my favorite XBLA titles, it's so hard to describe it..but, like someone said in this topic, the word "perfect" works. This is definitely the ninja game we ALL wanted as a kid.

edit: I do have one knock against the game though, there's the area where you get the smoke bombs, and as a tutorial for them it has you use you them to get past a laser, but on future replays, if you were to use the path of
nightmares
, you cannot use any distraction items, and technically cannot progress.

Well, I beat it last night, went to sleep, and I just woke up, starting the NG+, can't wait! This is definitely one of my favorite XBLA titles, it's so hard to describe it..but, like someone said in this topic, the word "perfect" works. This is definitely the ninja game we ALL wanted as a kid.
What makes it so great for me, besides all of whats been mentioned above (level design, multiple paths, new game+, etc) is that every mechanic is cool to pull off and watch, and fits the ninja style so well.

Even if you're just climbing or sliding along walls, creeping at the edges to peek around corners, taking huge running jumps and landing like a feather, pressing your ear against a door to detect whats on the other side, or stopping time mid leap to toss darts to take out three lights at once, dropping a smoke bomb and disappearing, distracting a guard long enough sneak into a nearby vent, tossing caltrops, etc etc. It all works - it all has its uses, it all looks and animates smoothly, and its all classic ninja stylings. *Everything* you do makes you feel like a bad-ass.

Can't get enough of this game.

Kard8p3

What makes it so great for me, besides all of whats been mentioned above (level design, multiple paths, new game+, etc) is that every mechanic is cool to pull off and watch, and fits the ninja style so well.

Even if you're just climbing or sliding along walls, creeping at the edges to peek around corners, taking huge running jumps and landing like a feather, pressing your ear against a door to detect whats on the other side, or stopping time mid leap to toss darts to take out three lights at once, dropping a smoke bomb and disappearing, distracting a guard long enough sneak into a nearby vent, tossing caltrops, etc etc. It all works - it all has its uses, it all looks and animates smoothly, and its all classic ninja stylings. *Everything* you do makes you feel like a bad-ass.

Can't get enough of this game.

Exactly, everything feels so fluid and right! This game makes me feel like a ninja.

Honestly, after playing this, if any other ninja game can't live up to this, I don't think I'd buy it.

Two more points:

The "stop time" mechanic is the real secret ingredient here. Being able to hold left trigger at any time to pause the universe and queue up ninja tool use is a godsend to stealth. You can stop time mid-leap to target multiple light sources with your darts, and then follow up with a smoke bomb at your landing spot, release the left trigger and it all happens instantly. You can also use to it to react to traps or other 'oh shit' moments, and it feels as natural as using a Ninja's lightning reflexes should be.

No UI clutter. Everything you need to know is directly on the screen in front of you. There is a basic binary light meter that tells you whether you're in shadow or not, but both your level of stealth and noise is perfectly represented in game through color and emanating sound waves. The only time I use the UI is to change my currently equipped Ninja item, or to check out the map and objective. All else is perfectly represented by in-game visuals, audio and score pop-ups. Considering all the actions you have available to you at any given time, the game's overall visual simplicity is truly something.

Kard8p3

I just convinced someone to buy this game, feels good man. Mark of the Ninja definitely deserves to sell like crazy.

Yopis

Wow just tried demo to this. Really slept this year on xbla summer stuff only grabbed dust. How long is this game demo really impressed me.

Kard8p3

Wow just tried demo to this. Really slept this year on xbla summer stuff only grabbed dust. How long is this game demo really impressed me.

My first playthrough lasted me close to 14 hours, and I was only half-way trying to 100% some levels, I plan to go back and do that soon though. It's definitely worth the purchase!

TripOpt55

Got to try out a new outfit for the first time. This game is so awesome. I love all the options. Going back through all the levels is going to be a blast.

Is there a way to check the time on your playthrough?

After hearing it was coming to Steam and never hearing anything about it before I watched both Quick Looks and then immediately bought it on XBLA.

I plan to play it there until it comes to Steam. :p

Is there any way to "waste" upgrade purchases? Is there enough to get everything? Can you get stuff later for free that you could buy earlier?

I played the demo and I dug, but I was left with a bit of a, 'is that all there is to it?' feeling... Does it stay varied enough throughout? I mean, even in the animation department; yes, it's smooth as butter and looks great, but I swear I only saw maybe 2 or 3 marginally different stealth kill animations, which is a bit of a bummer.

Also, the controls felt slightly counter-intuitive, but I'm sure they click after some time.

Alsoalso, I really loathe that "budget Cartoon Network" aesthetic that they've gone for. It translates well to the gameplay, but the cutscenes make me cringe a bit.

If this does come to steam I plan to rebuy just because this game is that good and I hope it gives the developers enough feedback to make a sequel.

Kard8p3

I played the demo and I dug, but I was left with a bit of a, 'is that all there is to it?' feeling... Does it stay varied enough throughout? I mean, even in the animation department; yes, it's smooth as butter and looks great, but I swear I only saw maybe 2 or 3 marginally different stealth kill animations, which is a bit of a bummer.

Also, the controls felt slightly counter-intuitive, but I'm sure they click after some time.

Alsoalso, I really loathe that "budget Cartoon Network" aesthetic that they've gone for. It translates well to the gameplay, but the cutscenes make me cringe a bit.

You can get different stealth kills further into the game, as well as doing things like stringing up dead guys to a light to terrorize a guard into shooting another one in the back.

Also, earlier today I was ranked 11th on the first level in NG+, now I'm ranked 15th, gotta step my game up tomorrow..

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The game is constantly mixing it up which is one of the most relieving things for me, I had the same worry you had. The basic behind the back sword kill only has a few variants, but you keep getting more. Kill from a side/bottom grate, kill from a door, kill from a ceiling, kill while dangling, etc. are all different and give you a ton of options. Gameplay wise you also get a lot of items, right now I just got bugs that either eat a corpse silently or devour a person alive while making noise, which can set up a lot of fun stuff. Levels seem to have good variation, just as different enemy types, adding toxic gas to areas, lightning flashes that reveal your location, etc.

Gametrailers Review

As with all the best stealth games, Mark of the Ninja’s sprawling levels provide plenty of varied opportunities to ply your lethal trade. And when it comes to allowing for the sort of precise execution that its most daunting challenges demand, this little $15 downloadable game has no trouble punching in the weight class of its grander cousins.

Soon enough, you’ll be able to punish foes from behind doors, while suspended from a zipline, or even from within hidey-holes. You also have plenty of tools to choose from when you have to work a bit to manufacture the conditions for an ideal kill, from simple noisemakers that draw enemies’ attention, to wicked poison darts that goad them not-so-gently toward their final exit.

Wicked? Is the reviewer from Boston? lol

Just like those that inspired it, this slick, demanding game inspires you to revel in the grim possibilities it offers. And when it comes to the precision of its execution, it might just have something to teach the big dogs.

nasos_333

I love how many of us have said this is the game we wanted as kids.

Never heard that about any other game before. DD or Retail.

Perfect is a pretty good word to describe this game. Love it.

Indeed, it is one of those stealth amazing games that exceed all expectations easilly and go far further than that as well

TBH i was very sceptical about it myself, but turned out one of the top games i have played hands down

You can kill dogs. If you distract them then their sniff cone disappears and you can sneak right behind them for the kill.

Satchel

Banned
Fuck it. I gave in. Fuck waiting for a price drop. I plonked down the allards.

God damn what a game.

I'm trying to get that 2 guys one chandelier achievement. Tricky. I'm sure there's a better op to do it emsewhere, but I want to get it out of the way.

I know I've missed at least one challenge room since I haven't gotten the achievement, but I have no idea on which level(s). Is there a way of telling that I'm not seeing?

You can kill dogs. If you distract them then their sniff cone disappears and you can sneak right behind them for the kill.
I just discovered that last night, yeah. There's that one dog in a room with a vent and a motion sensor that just has to die for that room to be less annoying.

I know the part you're referring to. Not a chandelier. Just a regular light.
No, there's a freebie double chandelier kill on like the first level.

If not, there's also one very early in one of the Tabriz levels.

VibratingDonkey said:
Is there a way of telling that I'm not seeing?
Beating a challenge room unlocks a scroll, so check what levels you're missing scrolls on.

Top Bottom