• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

aku:jiki

Um where. I've played that level about 10 times. Where's the chandelier?
It's a room where the game flat-out tells you to drop the chandelier, and doing so is the only way to proceed (without later ability unlocks). I have no idea what you're doing, man. Maybe it's in level 2, I dunno.

Satchel

Banned
It's a room where the game flat-out tells you to drop the chandelier, and doing so is the only way to proceed (without later ability unlocks). I have no idea what you're doing, man. Maybe it's in level 2, I dunno.

I think I've realised.

I was doing it in trial mode. Once I unlocked the full game I skipped past those guys.

Der. What an idiot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So this is a very good game, I have to say, but some aspects of the presentation are a bit of a turn-off. The cutscenes, for instance, worked very well for something like Shank but I feel they spoiled the atmosphere a bit here. I would have liked to see them take a slightly different angle with the presentation on that side. Perhaps something more abstract?

Audio is another thing that isn't quite up my alley. It's good enough, but not particularly remarkable. I would have loved to have seen something more atmospheric (perhaps something along the lines of Burial).

In the end the game comes off a bit like a high-end Flash game to me stylistically. It's absolutely amazing gameplay wise, but there are just a few things I'm not digging about the feel.

So this is a very good game, I have to say, but some aspects of the presentation are a bit of a turn-off. The cutscenes, for instance, worked very well for something like Shank but I feel they spoiled the atmosphere a bit here. I would have liked to see them take a slightly different angle with the presentation on that side. Perhaps something more abstract?

Audio is another thing that isn't quite up my alley. It's good enough, but not particularly remarkable. I would have loved to have seen something more atmospheric (perhaps something along the lines of Burial).

In the end the game comes off a bit like a high-end Flash game to me stylistically. It's absolutely amazing gameplay wise, but there are just a few things I'm not digging about the feel.

Agreed. Not a fan of the art style but the stealth game mechanics make up for it. It would've been nice to see something a bit more stylized IE: The Dishwasher. Also would've been great to see non lethal take downs.

wow, the unlockable ninja suits add a whole other dimension to the game!

can't wait for ng+ with the suit that silences running but takes away your sword (can't kill directly) and gives you two distraction devices.

maomaoIYP

Beat the main game last night. Great game, doing NG+ now.

The best way to score so far seems to be to farm distraction and unnoticed bonuses from every single enemy then complete the level with no kills.

Anyone knows if there's a way to not kill the end level specific enemies to get the no kills bonus?

Beat this last night. Seemed like about 8-10 hours for me. Loved every bit of it, but am having a hard time understanding what some reviewers meant about the last quarter of the game being cheap, or involving bad platforming elements.

I booted the game up last night feeling I only had maybe a level of the game left, and steeling myself for the cheapness and platforming, only to end up making a single choice, watching the end game cinematic and credits ;P The last quarter of the game IS harder, and you do have to pay more attention to your surroundings, but the game provides you with the tools you need to succeed.

Mark of the Ninja just might edge out Max Payne 3 and Darksiders 2 for my GOTY so far. Had nothing but a solid time with the game from beginning to end, it didn't overstay its welcome, and I still have plenty of options for replayability. And just to finish my gushing, this game should honestly be studied by anybody trying to work out solid stealth mechanics.

Played the trial on the weekend and bought it last night. Loving it so far, but haven't been able to put much time in. Can't wait to play more - seems amazing.

Kard8p3

Beat the main game last night. Great game, doing NG+ now.

The best way to score so far seems to be to farm distraction and unnoticed bonuses from every single enemy then complete the level with no kills.

Anyone knows if there's a way to not kill the end level specific enemies to get the no kills bonus?

Actually, once you do stealth kills, hide the bodies, or use them to terrorize the other guards, which may or may not lead to friendly fire(the terror darts are good for this btw), you usually end up with a pretty high score, that was how I got around 37K on the first level in NG+

Beat this last night. Seemed like about 8-10 hours for me. Loved every bit of it, but am having a hard time understanding what some reviewers meant about the last quarter of the game being cheap, or involving bad platforming elements.

The only thing I can think of is some of the laser/moving block elements towards the end, but I didn't find them to be a problem at all.

so, i know everyone is saying how great this game is, and i love ninjas, but will i dig it if the demo didn't really do anything for me? what i played just felt kind of... boring. i didn't feel like a bad-ass ninja sneaking through shadows and all that. i felt like i was on a linear path with brain-dead soldiers waiting for me to jump out of a grate and kill them.

i'm not trying to be negative, i'm just wondering if the game offers a lot more than what the demo displayed. i really want to get into this, but...

lingiii

Banned
so, i know everyone is saying how great this game is, and i love ninjas, but will i dig it if the demo didn't really do anything for me? what i played just felt kind of... boring. i didn't feel like a bad-ass ninja sneaking through shadows and all that. i felt like i was on a linear path with brain-dead soldiers waiting for me to jump out of a grate and kill them.

i'm not trying to be negative, i'm just wondering if the game offers a lot more than what the demo displayed. i really want to get into this, but...

The demo level definitely covers trying to teach you the various concepts (peeking, hiding, sound radii, environmental kills, movement and your grapnel, etc) so its pretty linear. Later levels will give you several objectives at once in different places, big set pieces full of toys, and more.

As the game opens up its much more about choice and problem-solving.

I would say it offers quite a bit more. Not far into the game and there are plenty of interesting challenge rooms and solid platforming sections. In terms of the stealth/guards. The game is always adding something extra to consider. Weather, dogs, snipers, and guards that cannot be stealth killed are all introduced level to level. Stuff like poison gas, night vision guards etc keep you wary too.

Well worth the money I think. Provided you didn't out right hate the demo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nearing the end and the game definitively got quite a bit harder, but I think the challenge is appreciated. I'm messing with some of the other suits, the amount of ways you can tackle everything is great.

I will admit my initial time with the game didn't really click; but as the game goes on you get new abilities, and get a real FEEL for how to move about and the game explodes. It can be incredibly face-paced, 'locomotive' experience to a meticulous no-kill run. Give it a chance perhaps, if you saw something there but didn't feel it click right away.

The later levels become much more involved regarding environmental puzzles and optional achievements.

It's a great little game. I will say if there's one thing that bugs me it is the over-stylized character design (environments are KICK ASS). I'm tired of that look from Mirrors Edge cutscenes, Shank, etc. But, this is the better out of those.

maomaoIYP

Actually, once you do stealth kills, hide the bodies, or use them to terrorize the other guards, which may or may not lead to friendly fire(the terror darts are good for this btw), you usually end up with a pretty high score, that was how I got around 37K on the first level in NG+

Hmm....so I guess we could farm the distraction + unseen bonus followed by a kill + terrorizing and friendly fire....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hmm....so I guess we could farm the distraction + unseen bonus followed by a kill + terrorizing and friendly fire....

I also noticed you can get an oblivious bonus if you kill someone and hide them in something like a dumpster and another guard walks by them. I also got an object kill bonus by throwing an already dead guard onto spikes...lot of ways to get a good score.

cackhyena

Worst game in 90 years! Tell 10 people!

Anxious to do a NG+ stealth run, but won't be able to for quite a while. Life...it gets in the way.

-PXG-

Loved this at PAX East. Having the devs walk me through it was fun. Even if you didn't like Shank, at least try out the demo.

Kard8p3

Man..this game is so good..

tumblr_ma9o11iurN1qbcfk2.gif

TripOpt55

Just finished it earlier tonight. This might be my favorite game this year. Excited to go back through trying different outfits and some tools I haven't tried yet.

I got a higher score on the trial. /1upper.

Just beat the game.

Hands-down the best XBLA release of the year. In fact, I feel it's a title worthy of joining the downloadable game elite of this generation -- up there with the likes of Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Journey, Braid, Amnesia, etc.

Fantastic job, Klei.

Zia

You know, I try not to nitpick reviews, but this drives me nuts (I remember this same writer doing an "Indie Games of E3" report for Wired that included a bunch of factually incorrect information that was never corrected) -- from the Wired review:

Mark of the Ninja is at no point a bright, cheery game, but towards the end the environments get so dark that it’s sometimes hard to see what’s going on. The developers counter this by equipping players with an all-seeing-eye ability (basically x-ray/night vision), but you’ll have to stop and use it so often that it becomes laborious. The game becomes impossible to play unless you’re sitting directly next to your screen.

Am I incorrect in thinking that you can change the game's brightness at any point in the options? What a fucking putz. Grr.

Grisby

Finished. What a great game. Really got my $15 worth, and more really. The devs should feel really proud.

My only nitpick is technical in that the framerate had a couple of drops near the end. That's it. The gameplay and design were solid.

I hope I can get a chance to buy that song near the end. I'd like to hear the whole thing. That ending sequence was pretty 'artsy' for a 2-D type deal.

maks

I'm on my NG+ run with only two levels left. I'm cracking top 5 on leaderboards whenever I try to do a scoring run but the top 3 guys have really broke away from the pack. They are around 50% more points than me. Anyone with ideas on how they are doing it?

I'm generally doing this...
*Equip Terror style with upgraded Terror Darts.
*Try to get Distract and Undetected bonus.
*Terrorize as many enemies as possible with each terror dart use.
*If I don't use Terror Dart i will try a hangman kill, concealed kill, etc.
*Use bodies to get more terror bonuses, then hide bodies if possible

I think I shouldn't have upgraded the terror dart since the person hit with it will kill himself before he can get to others.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I got this game tonight, and I love it so so so hard. Easily my favorite XBLA game ever.

Did anybody get the unstable footing achievement? Where did you get it at (level, area, etc)?
Forgot the name of the level but it's the level where you are supposed
to take the crate up without being seen by the baddies with gasmasks. Get to the top and jump behind the enemy at the very top to your left and simply throw a terror dart at him. He will turn around, see you, freak out and fall off the ledge.
Achievement Unlocked!

Just beat NG+ along with unlocking all achievements... Must have game for fans of stealth genre.

Zeppelin

This game is so fucking good. Just beat it. GOTY by far for me.

Only 30-40k on the leaderboards so far though, deserves way more than that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just downloaded this game last night because I was bored. WOW. Fantastic game, everything from the controls, the audio, graphics, presentation, and gameplay is just so solid and tight. I recommended it to a couple buddies of mine, hope they check it out.

Ghosting in this game is so much fun and tough as nails! I love when stealth games build that kind of playthrough into their design and reward system. It's not a chore like it can be with some stealth games. I'm up to Chapter 4 now, and just focusing on not killing any enemies. You make SO MUCH points.

Noisemaker is a life-saver, but using it within the guards' sound cones is tricky if you want to get past without touching them.

lol at "Dog Slumber"

Can't wait to ghost and not kill enemies in Dishonored.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
meh, not really feeling this. its pretty repetitive and some things seem very trial and error. also, sneaking doesnt seem all that consistent. just not having much fun with it - on the level after you set fire to the building.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so I have a plot twist prediction (spoilery speculation) --
The female ninja who tags along with you is an ink-induced hallucination. I'm currently in the castle catacombs, and she said something a little earlier that made me think so... But I forgot what, hah.
I wonder if I'm right...

Top Bottom