• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Zuckerberg and wife Priscilla Chan pledge $3bn to cure all disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

No, he didn't. Their plan is nothing like the way BMGF operates. They don't blow 20% of their pledges to build fancy new centres to just relocate existing teams of scientists, for starters.
Why would Mark Zuckerberg create a clone of the Gates foundation? His emphasis is on creating innovative new tools and using engineering to advance medical technology. He knows how to run sophisticated operations and achieve results.

Also, it makes a lot of sense to relocate existing teams so that they can work together under one roof, rather than pursuing different objectives with arbitrary grants that don't allow them the full breadth of resources, time, or personnel, to accomplish ambitious goals.

Mark is trying to challenge the status quo in the most important area of human research. I am glad he has the conscience to do it.

Zuckie boy plz, fix chronic lower back pain asap. 16 years of this shit is enough, right?

seriously though, great to see! donating billions is fucking bad ass. almost makes me want to make an FB account.

Nocebo

This is nothing more than a PR / ego-tripping announcement and initiative.
Nothing more than an ego-tripping announcement? What does that mean? You think this will be a completely fruitless endeavor?
No, he didn't. Their plan is nothing like the way BMGF operates. They don't blow 20% of their pledges to build fancy new centres to just relocate existing teams of scientists, for starters.
You're acting like noone asked for or wants a fancy new lab to collaborate in. I suppose everyone involved in setting up this idea is just delusional?

Window

The way this has been presented and reported there is some presence of ego gratification but what matters is the work put in to achieve the stated (noble) results and I think on that front there is not too much one can criticise yet.

jay

We think of the philanthropic industrialists as self-aggrandizing jerks these days. Give it time and these people of the 0.0001% will not be well loved in a century.

Erevador

Announcing something like this in a way that makes a splash and drums up support for the cause has the effect of furthering this kind of work as a priority, of making the job of the foundation easier in attracting top talent and partners, and in inspiring others to pursue this kind of mission. How is any of that a bad thing?

Positive media coverage for a good thing is itself a good thing.

Nice gesture but a drop in the ocean. Billions are spent every year looking for breakthroughs in disease prevention and cure all around the world. 3 billion might help but compared to Governments, businesses and institutes etc it's tiny. I mean the US Cancer Institute alone has spent $90 billion since 1971 looking for a cure. That's £2 billion a year.
A cynic would say they're doing this because of guilt or ego. But whatever the reason it may help. But I wouldn't expect much to be honest.

Isn't that 'putting 99% of his wealth' to a venture capitalist is a way to avoid taxes? Because that's what it seems to me. I heard about the Facebook guy doing that a while back. I don't know if this is the same transaction or not.

As for the money, good for them. Although I think it would be FAR more impactful and helpful if they put it in the Bill Gates foundation. That man is a true superhero and his organization is doing remarkable work; everything from portable nuclear power stations to malaria carrying mosquito laser hunters to establishing a system of function for the poorest of places.

Aselith

Nice gesture but a drop in the ocean. Billions are spent every year looking for breakthroughs in disease prevention and cure all around the world. 3 billion might help but compared to Governments, businesses and institutes etc it's tiny. I mean the US Cancer Institute alone has spent $90 billion since 1971 looking for a cure. That's £2 billion a year.
A cynic would say they're doing this because of guilt or ego. But whatever the reason it may help. But I wouldn't expect much to be honest.

Are you one of those people who don't vote because it "doesn't make a difference"?

Are you one of those people who don't vote because it "doesn't make a difference"?
Certainly not. And I do say it may help -
I just think people should temper any expectations they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom