• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Xamdou

Iron Man 3 + Thor 2 this summer = awesome!

So Zoe is in GOTG, best casting I've seen in a long while.

My Marvel Universe movie rankings:

1. Thor: The Dark World
2. Avengers 2
3. Iron Man 3
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Ant-Man
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier

Justifying my hype:

1. The Avengers 2

I don't think this requires much explanation. In Whedon I Trust.​

2. Thor: The Dark World

Thor was one of my favorites out of Phase 1 and his stories are unlike any of the others. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Alan Taylor does with this. Cinema needs more Norse pseudosciencefantasy.​

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

Marvel Space Opera. Could be a landmark film.​

4. Ant-Man

Edgar Wright.​

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I like political thrillers but I'll need to see a trailer before I'm totally sold on this. I'm just not hungering for it like the others.​

6. Iron Man 3

I'm all Ironed Out to be honest. I'll see the film and probably enjoy it but Iron Man seems almost vanilla in genre compared to some of the more exotic dishes on offer.​

Jensen Ackles would have been great as Hawkeye. Shit.

Oh my God, yes. Perfect casting is perfect casting.

tumblr_mj88dlOb971qij27do3_500.png

tumblr_mj88dlOb971qij27do2_500.png

tumblr_mj88dlOb971qij27do1_500.png

iKW8taT7SbrKY.gif

Renner is a bit of the odd man out, but even then I don't think it was that bad of a casting choice. And he hasn't had the chance to really show off the character anyway.

Agreed. I think his casting was actually great but it's hard to determine that since he was barely in the Avengers. But he has the physical prowess for the role, as he did many of his own stunts, so basically give him more to work with I think he'd be just fine.

He did have a few cool scenes.

Like jumping off the building and using that rope arrow thing.

And that part where he is talking to IronMan and takes out an alien flying thing without even looking.

another_gif_hawkeye_by_timbewolf-d54mmc3.gif

Hype List:

1) Avengers 2
2) Guardians of the Galaxy
3) Captain America: Winter Soldier (I am biased towards Cap)
4) Thor: The Dark World (I await crazy off world goodness!)
5) Iron Man 3
6) Ant Man. (I just want fucking Ultron, dammit.)

I am super hyped for them all, but that is the order of my excitement.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the dark horse in there though. I think that could be the most over the top and ridiculously fun of the bunch if they pull it off. And all the casting news so far is pointing to it being a home run.

Ant Man I am only looking at as a necessity to get me Ultron in the films. I have said it many times on here that I think they will use JARVIS as the AI basis for Ultron in the films, which means Paul Bettany as Ultron, which would be awesome. But in my mind, I always envisioned Ultron sounding like Starscream from the Transformers cartoons.

I love the movies but I've never been into comics. Can anyone tell me what "Guardians of the Galaxy" is about, and how talking dogs and raccoons fits into the world if the Avengers?

TDLink

I love the movies but I've never been into comics. Can anyone tell me what "Guardians of the Galaxy" is about, and how talking dogs and raccoons fits into the world if the Avengers?

They're a team of mostly not-so-powerful aliens (aside from Star-Lord who is a human) who defend the universe against threats typically much larger than themselves. They have virtually no interaction with The Avengers. An animal getting the ability to speak is not really any weirder than a human getting a super power of any sort.

J10

Banned

It's not about fitting in with the Avengers, it's more like they're parallel to the Avengers, but at a larger scale because it's galactic space stuff. One of them just happens to be a genetically engineered Raccoon with an affinity for explosives. That's it.

They're a team of mostly not-so-powerful aliens (aside from Star-Lord who is a human) who defend the universe against threats typically much larger than themselves. They have virtually no interaction with The Avengers. An animal getting the ability to speak is not really any weirder than a human getting a super power of any sort.

Uh...the Guardians Power-wise wipe the floor with every Avenger except Hulk. Star-Lord is the only one that lacks any credible powers. Gamora is the deadliest woman in the galaxy. Drax was engineered to kill (and did) Thanos. Rocket is one of the best tactical minds in the galaxy. The Avengers are Earth-level heroes. The Guardians are cosmic level and they (rightfully) scoff at the Avengers.

TDLink

Uh...the Guardians Power-wise wipe the floor with every Avenger except Hulk. Star-Lord is the only one that lacks any credible powers. Gamora is the deadliest woman in the galaxy. Drax was engineered to kill (and did) Thanos. Rocket is one of the best tactical minds in the galaxy. The Avengers are Earth-level heroes. The Guardians are cosmic level and they (rightfully) scoff at the Avengers.

"Deadliest woman in the galaxy" is more a skill than an actual power. Drax has super strength but so do a bunch of The Avengers. Rocket being tactical is not a super power either. Groot is also pretty strong but not even as strong as Drax, his biggest advantage is he can re-grow and sometimes is very large. As you mentioned Star-Lord has no powers either. Those skills are part of why the team actually succeeds most of the time. The truly powerful members of the GotG are dudes like Adam Warlock, Mantis, Quasar, and Cosmo but they tend to not actually get out with the team as much and, as far as I remember never, all together. The team also has some other members like Bug or Jack Flag who also have no real super powers so I definitely feel accurate in saying that for the most part the GotG are not-so-powerful.

I think in a battle with the 5 GotG in the movie concept art versus the movie Avengers thus far Avengers can probably win. Thor and Hulk alone are both incredibly powerful and Iron Man probably beats out Star-Lord and/or Rocket in terms of weaponry for having no real powers.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into an Avengers vs GotG pissing match. I definitely think the GotG are cooler anyways but I really wouldn't call them super duper powerful on the whole. They typically conquer these massive galactic threats by being more covert and tactical rather than head on or are working in tandem with others doing something else.

Have they said who is going to play Pym or is that still not decided?

They won't start casting Ant-Man till it is getting ready to start filming. Probably late this year at the earliest but around a year from now is more likely considering they are probably going to start filming Avengers 2 first.

Mariolee

They won't start casting Ant-Man till it is getting ready to start filming. Probably late this year at the earliest but around a year from now is more likely considering they are probably going to start filming Avengers 2 first.

What if Avengers 2 introduces Hank Pym and Ant Man is a prequel? That way Ant Man can come after Avengers 2 and not be too much of an anti climactic end to Phase 2.

AMUSIX

SHIELD hires Pym to work with both Stark and Banner to develop what will eventually become Ultron. Pym uses SHIELD's money to fund his pym particles research instead. SHIELD gets annoyed and pushes the Ultron project through faster. Ultron is developed, begins working as Shield's prototype lackey, but 'learns' and decides that humans need to be eradicated. Ultron turns evil, Vision is created, turns on his creator, and the day is saved.

This plays out in AntMan, IM4, the SHIELD movie, and winds up in Avengers 3 with Ultron as the baddie.

Jensen Ackles would have been great as Hawkeye. Shit.

Fuck you, buddy. I had never thought of this, and now you've brought it to my attention and it is perfect but will never happen. My week is ruined. I'm off to watch an episode of Supernatural and to sulk.

Fuck you, buddy. I had never thought of this, and now you've brought it to my attention and it is perfect but will never happen. My week is ruined. I'm off to watch an episode of Supernatural and to sulk.
It can still happen. If Renner stays on break from acting, maybe we can get Jensen as Clint.

One of the good things about setting Thor 2 in Asgard is that they can't use studio backlots or pitiful, one-horse towns in the desert for their big action sequence.

TDLink

Now you've made me sad that they won't be in the film.

I wouldn't count them out yet. Cosmo is seemingly confirmed and I wouldn't be surprised to see Mantis show up for an additional female character or Warlock show up due to his Thanos connection.

What if Avengers 2 introduces Hank Pym and Ant Man is a prequel? That way Ant Man can come after Avengers 2 and not be too much of an anti climactic end to Phase 2.

Ant-Man is the first film of phase 3, not the last film of phase 2. He could show up in Avengers 2 first though, you are right about that. We'll see if he does. I am guessing he won't actually become "Ant-Man" until his solo movie even if Hank Pym appears in A2.

Nudull

Banned
1. Avengers 2
2. Guardians of The Galaxy
3. Ant-Man
4. Iron Man 3
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Phase Two should be pretty fun. :)
Also, speaking as someone who hasn't owned any of the Phase One movies as of yet, is the recent collection worth it?

Someone posited the idea of Ant-Man being a prequel and a modern-day movie, with the Pym stuff in the 60s and the Scott Lang stuff being modern-day. That could work, I think. Maybe he's the original Avengers guy but is now an old man while Lang steals his equipment with Pym's blessing.

Uncle

1. GOTG
2. Iron Man 3
3. Ant Man
4. Avengers 2
5. Thor: The Dark World
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier

Half human. At least in the comics.

PopeReal

Ok I will do mine....

1. Ant-Man (I mean c'mon, they are actually making an Ant-Man movie!)
2. Avengers 2
3. Thor The Dark World
4. Iron Man 3
5. Captain America Winter Soldier
6. Guardians of the Galaxy (just because I have no idea what to expect)

I will be watching them all as soon as they come out.

TDLink

Half human. At least in the comics.

Yeah I know but he is still part human and looks completely human, opposed to the others.

My anticipation list:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. The Avengers 2
4. Ant-Man
5. Iron Man 3
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Wilbur

Banned
Yes. The casting for every movie has been amazing.

I don't think everything's been perfect, but for the most part they're getting everything right.

Chris Evans is still the weak link for me. I just don't think he has natural charisma on screen as Cap, but that's probably the character. He's great in Scott Pilgrim, but I think Cap's written as too dry.

I'm not the biggest fan of any of the films bar IM1 to be honest, but they've got some things bang on. RDJ, Rockwell, Weaving, Hemsworth and Hiddleston have all been fantastic, with a few really good ones behind them. Interested in Chris Pratt for GOTG.

Wilbur

Banned
Also Ant Man will be the best film out of phase two because it has the best writer out of every film so far with an absolute dynamite kinetic style. Scott Pilgrim was fucking fantastic on an editing level, on a visual level, camera work wise... Wright's a talented, talented director.

Dunno who can play him though. John Hawkes. Or something.

Oh my God, yes. Perfect casting is perfect casting.

Your Hawkbro thread was painful for this exact reason. Both Hawkeye and Jensen in the OP. Bah.

I have thought about it since 2010 when rumors were flying around about Clint appearing in Thor first started. Not that I'm unhappy with Renner but it's rare that someone just looks exactly like the comicbook character which Ackles does. (And from the gifs he seems to be able to act the part as well.) The pain don't go away.

I don't think everything's been perfect, but for the most part they're getting everything right.

Chris Evans is still the weak link for me. I just don't think he has natural charisma on screen as Cap, but that's probably the character. He's great in Scott Pilgrim, but I think Cap's written as too dry.

I'm not the biggest fan of any of the films bar IM1 to be honest, but they've got some things bang on. RDJ, Rockwell, Weaving, Hemsworth and Hiddleston have all been fantastic, with a few really good ones behind them. Interested in Chris Pratt for GOTG.

Out of all the potential casting choices that was flying around Chris Evans was easily the the best. And I think he does it really well. I hope he gets to show of more of Cap's quality's in Winter Soldier. The only thing that doesn't fit for me about him (and now I'm being really really picky) is his smile, I just associate it much with his douchebag characters. But still, I love Evans and I think he is a great and underappreciated actor who more than stood his ground against RDJ in Avengers.

Just realized that there are three Chris's in lead roles in the MCU.

Gambit

My hype-o-meter puts the obligatory Avengers 2 on top and Captain America 2 right underneath it.

The reason is the Winter Soldier. I never much cared for Cap before Brubaker's run and Bucky turned into my favourite character in it. So seeing the Winter Soldier came to life is a good cause for hype.

I have absolutely no expectations for Guardians of the Galaxy, as I know nothing about it. It looks interesting, though.

Ant-Man is my least anticipated, as I don't care for the character.

Ovid

Cap was kind of boring to me. I think it's because of Captain America (the character) not Chris Evans (the actor).

I agree with you on the other actors too. My favorites being Sam Rockwell, Chris Hemsworth and Hugo Weaving. I think those guys did a fantastic job.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
SHIELD hires Pym to work with both Stark and Banner to develop what will eventually become Ultron. Pym uses SHIELD's money to fund his pym particles research instead. SHIELD gets annoyed and pushes the Ultron project through faster. Ultron is developed, begins working as Shield's prototype lackey, but 'learns' and decides that humans need to be eradicated. Ultron turns evil, Vision is created, turns on his creator, and the day is saved.

This plays out in AntMan, IM4, the SHIELD movie, and winds up in Avengers 3 with Ultron as the baddie.

Ultron is based on the AI of JARVIS, Paul Bettany ends up voicing Ultron.

Until proven otherwise, I'm still in the camp that says Ant-Man is completely unnecessary.

Sorry but Pym is far more valuable to the Marvel Cinematic Universe than T'Challa. Much of the storytelling needed to expand the univese and flesh it out with "modern" Marvel science requires Pym, especially when Marvel doesn't have access to Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four.

Black Panther is an amazing character with rich history and a very unique place in the Marvel U, but is pretty much negligible compared to Pym especially with supporting characters like Janet, Ultron, and Vision that can be brought in.

I think most people who respond to Ant-Man with skepticism are simply unaware of his importance in the Universe and are simply reacting to his name without knowing what the character is all about...hopefully the movie will enlighten them and they understand how cool and crucial of a character he is for The Avengers. :)

*pushes up glasses*

I believe Starlord is actually half Human / half Spartoi actually. But yes, he might as well just be human.

Also Ant Man will be the best film out of phase two because it has the best writer out of every film so far with an absolute dynamite kinetic style. Scott Pilgrim was fucking fantastic on an editing level, on a visual level, camera work wise... Wright's a talented, talented director.

Dunno who can play him though. John Hawkes. Or something.

Ewan McGregor?

Top Bottom