• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Dai101

Banned
Oh man....

BG8wV5JCYAATyfU.jpg:large

I don't know what am i seeing :(

Mafro

I really hope they save Thanos as the big baddie for Avengers 3. I know they've said he'll be in Avengers 2 in some capacity but if he's the main one in that then anyone else in Avengers 3 will feel like a bit of an anti-climax. I'd love it if they built up to some Galaxy-wide crossover story like Infinity Gauntlet or The Thanos Imperative for Phase 3.

Wilbur

Banned
I really hope they save Thanos as the big baddie for Avengers 3. I know they've said he'll be in Avengers 2 in some capacity but if he's the main one in that then anyone else in Avengers 3 will feel like a bit of an anti-climax. I'd love it if they built up to some Galaxy-wide crossover story like Infinity Gauntlet or The Thanos Imperative for Phase 3.

Someone important needs to die for me. Avengers 2 have Thanos escape while killing Stark in the process, means you can have Ultron from Ant Man, Thor and Cap 3, a Hulk movie and then Avengers 3 with Thanos dying.

There needs to be some stakes. I didn't give a fuck about anyone in Avengers because I knew no one would die.

Someone important needs to die for me. Avengers 2 have Thanos escape while killing Stark in the process, means you can have Ultron from Ant Man, Thor and Cap 3, a Hulk movie and then Avengers 3 with Thanos dying.

There needs to be some stakes. I didn't give a fuck about anyone in Avengers because I knew no one would die.

If they kill someone off it will likely be somebody less important like Hawkeye. Iron Man is probably their most marketable hero right now. I think they'd sooner change actors if necessary than kill off the hero himself.

They seem to be introducing some secondary heroes so I think they will kill them off first. People like Hawkeye or The Falcon. Maybe even Rhodes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

No way they kill off Iron Man with the amount of money those movies are bringing in.

No way they kill off Iron Man with the amount of money those movies are bringing in.
That said, it would give them a good reason to change actors (assuming RDJ didn't sign on for more) when they would inevitably bring Tony back. "It's cool guys! I had a clone with all my memories downloaded! Also I look a little different because this clone body is a bit younger!"

Still, I doubt they'd kill him.

You don't have to do the whole World War Hulk thing, but I think jettisoning Banner off into space would have a similar emotional impact to someone dying. It's something they'd be forced to do, if he was too dangerous. Also leaves room for him to come back.

Buntabox

He's actually excellent in Jack. The cutting for the trailer was strange.

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean him specifically. He is a fantastic actor that does sometimes better than what he is given. Obviously, I haven't seen Jack, but it looks like a mess. But that's another thread.

I don't get how ANT-MAN is part of phase II.

Has this been explained yet?

Sorry if I'm late and this was already addressed.

They seem to be working more Avengers is the goal. Just like the Guardians are coming into the foray. And just like the Phase I films before them.

Seeing as it's Edgar Wright, his Ant-Man will most likely be lighter in tone than the character can sometimes be. (I'm looking at you Ultimates). I don't see them picking Wright without his sense of humor in mind.

I should have clarified, my bad.

I meant because ANT-MAN is slated to release after Avengers II right?

How is Ant-man apart of phase 2 if it's after phase 2?

Edit: Never mind, answered..

Thanks.

GatorBait

Can someone explain to me what is so compelling about the Ultron storyline? I've seen quite a few people hoping that storyline gets integrated into The Avengers at some point. I have next to no background knowledge about it.

J10

Banned
http://youtu.be/8G18wcIAJCM

Clip from Iron Man 3. Tony gives out his home address, which I guess is what leads to his house getting blown up. I guess it's no big secret where he lives anyway, but this seems uncharacteristically stupid. Maybe he's just way off his rocker by this point in the context of the movie.

J10

Banned
Can someone explain to me what is so compelling about the Ultron storyline? I've seen quite a few people hoping that storyline gets integrated into The Avengers at some point. I have next to no background knowledge about it.

I don't know that his storylines are especially compelling, but I think the character is. A good analogy would be Agent Smith of The Matrix. He's sentient AI who despises everyone and everything to the point that he would try to see everyone either nonexistent or overwritten to his specifications. He sees people as pathetic, weak, purposeless, imperfect, yet he behaves much like a person himself, often in the most sinister ways - he's jealous, he's bitter, he's nihilistic, he's hateful. He uses everything from bioengineering to religion to subvert people. And of course he's seemingly impossible to destroy because his consciousness can move from body to body - robot, organic, whatever. All around good villain stuff. In terms of overall power, he's much like a Thanos or a Doctor Doom, the kind of villain you can't really beat, but you can hold 'em back for a little while for a temporary happy ending.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I highly doubt they'd ever do Civil War because it made Iron Man the most hated character in Marvel for quite a while, and he is the big $$$ when it comes to the movies.

I highly doubt they'd ever do Civil War because it made Iron Man the most hated character in Marvel for quite a while, and he is the big $$$ when it comes to the movies.
I've been smoking tonight but here's a highdea:

How about after an Avengers 3 with Ultron we get GotG2 covering Annihilation, then in Avengers 4 we get a well written version of Civil War with the What If? ending where the Civil War gets interrupted by Annihilation reaching earth. Then in GotG3 we get Annihilation: Conquest.

Jonogunn

I'm one of the few who loved civil war but no! Not for the mcu. It just doesn't fit. The mcu isn't littered with superheroes at every turn like the comics. Just wouldn't have the same impact. It'd just end up being 3on3 or something.

Also it seems pretty heavy for the mcu which is more kid friendly. (Killing hundreds of ppl including a school of children?)

I've been smoking tonight but here's a highdea:

How about after an Avengers 3 with Ultron we get GotG2 covering Annihilation, then in Avengers 4 we get a well written version of Civil War with the What If? ending where the Civil War gets interrupted by Annihilation reaching earth. Then in GotG3 we get Annihilation: Conquest.

this and gotg 1's thanos being in avengers 2 just makes it seem like the guardians are a bunch of flunkies who always lose and end up having the avengers finish their work for them.

Calling this right now ... Redford's going to turn out to be Red Skull.
But before that is revealed, his name will be Nick Fury.
Civil War will be saved for the glorious day where Disney's lawyers find a loophole in the Sony/20th Century Fox contracts.
Civil War will be a crossover between Fox and Sony to keep the properties in house with a desperate cash grab and somehow turn out more horrible than the source material.

inky

I hope Phase 3 is Ultron and Phase 4 is World War Hulk.

Is such a thing even in the works? By the time they get to this I bet it's already close to having to reboot some of these franchises. New actors and such...

Civil War will be saved for the glorious day where Disney's lawyers find a loophole in the Sony/20th Century Fox contracts.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise then that such loophole hasn't been found :p

Is such a thing even in the works? By the time they get to this I bet it's already close to having to reboot some of these franchises already. New actors and such...

They said that even if they had to recast RDJ they wouldn't reboot it, they would "James Bond" it.

Top Bottom