• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's humour in IM2?
If you didn't find the Cap's shield thing even mildly amusing I don't know what to say to you. Also Hammer was great from start to finish.

IM2 is a good movie. Most comic booky of them all which makes folks not like it but I appreciate that the most.

-griffy-

Banned
IM2 is a good movie. Most comic booky of them all which makes folks not like it but I appreciate that the most.
I don't like it because it is narratively inconsistent, not because it is or isn't more comic booky. They spent too much time on SHIELD and setting up the Avengers and not enough time on the actual story of that movie, and as such it couldn't devote enough time to either and the movie suffered for it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't like it because it is narratively inconsistent, not because it is or isn't more comic booky. They spent too much time on SHIELD and setting up the Avengers and not enough time on the actual story of that movie, and as such it couldn't devote enough time to either and the movie suffered for it.
That's a valid complaint but generally speaking the Iron Man movies (and even Iron Man as a character generally) have had some of the weakest Marvel villains. Boring motivations, completely transparent evil-itude, and... a bigger, more powerful, gray armor suit as the Final Boss? Come oooonn.

So basically everything having to do with the main plot arcs in both Iron Man movies fell totally flat for me, whereas the ancillary stuff in both is what I loved. Testing out the suit prototypes, the Golmira rescue, Tony showing up places he's not expected to be, everything about Justin Hammer/the role of Tony Stark in Homeland Defense, the Iron Man/WM fight, scenes with Pepper/Black Widow/Fury/Coulson, the Hammerdrone massacre, all of that stuff is what I liked, whereas anything having to do with Iron Monger and/or Whiplash was basically just "insert plot element" as far as I was concerned.

That said of course I can't deny narrative inconsistency in it compared to the first. Iron Man 2 was by far the most "oh by the way a HUGE CROSSOVER MOVIE IS COMING" of any of the Marvel flicks, even Captain America despite its subtitle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There really wasn't if you rewatch it. Arguably even Fury showing up with the Howard Stark stuff led to the best part of the film, and that wasn't time spent on setting up Avengers, at all.

I feel people confound "setting up Avengers/SHIELD" with "SHIELD character screentime." The way they use SHIELD characters really isn't as divorced from the plot as it's made to sound. Time spent on setting up Avengers is pretty much only when Coulson tells Tony he's leaving for Nevada and the very, very end when Fury is debriefing him.

While I'm a big comic book fan, I'm not really up to speed on a lot of their individual series (ie, never read any of the Cap books) so forgive me but, what is Cap's shield made out of now in the MCU, if not Vibranium? I mean, didn't it deflect Thor's hammer in Avengers?

-griffy-

Banned
There really wasn't if you rewatch it. Arguably even Fury showing up with the Howard Stark stuff led to the best part of the film, and that wasn't time spent on setting up Avengers, at all.

I feel people confound "setting up Avengers/SHIELD" with "SHIELD character screentime." The way they use SHIELD characters really isn't as divorced from the plot as it's made to sound. Time spent on setting up Avengers is pretty much only when Coulson tells Tony he's leaving for Nevada and the very, very end when Fury is debriefing him.

It dragged IM2 to a halt when it happened since it seemed like a weird, unnecessary detour in the plot. Compare it to SHIELD in Thor, where it all made perfect sense in the context of that film's self contained plot.

That and the whole 'Tony is being poisoned by the thing that is keeping him alive but we kind of just abandon that half way through so it doesn't even matter that it was ever a part of the plot' thing was dumb.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
While I'm a big comic book fan, I'm not really up to speed on a lot of their individual series (ie, never read any of the Cap books) so forgive me but, what is Cap's shield made out of now in the MCU, if not Vibranium? I mean, didn't it deflect Thor's hammer in Avengers?

Howard Stark clearly states that Cap's shield is made of vibranium in First Avenger.

That's a valid complaint but generally speaking the Iron Man movies (and even Iron Man as a character generally) have had some of the weakest Marvel villains. Boring motivations, completely transparent evil-itude, and... a bigger, more powerful, gray armor suit as the Final Boss? Come oooonn.

So basically everything having to do with the main plot arcs in both Iron Man movies fell totally flat for me, whereas the ancillary stuff in both is what I loved. Testing out the suit prototypes, the Golmira rescue, Tony showing up places he's not expected to be, everything about Justin Hammer/the role of Tony Stark in Homeland Defense, the Iron Man/WM fight, scenes with Pepper/Black Widow/Fury/Coulson, the Hammerdrone massacre, all of that stuff is what I liked, whereas anything having to do with Iron Monger and/or Whiplash was basically just "insert plot element" as far as I was concerned.

That said of course I can't deny narrative inconsistency in it compared to the first. Iron Man 2 was by far the most "oh by the way a HUGE CROSSOVER MOVIE IS COMING" of any of the Marvel flicks, even Captain America despite its subtitle.

The biggest and weirdest way that the Iron Man films are different, to me, is that they actually kill their villains.

The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and Avengers didn't result in the death of their main villains (although yes, Thor did result in the death of the King of the Frost Giants). Loki, Red Skull, and Abomination could always theoretically come back in future films (and this is obviously already happening for Loki).

Iron Man 1 and 2 killed off Iron Monger and Whiplash quite definitively. Very different from the other MCU films. I'm going to be really curious to see if IM3 and Thor 2 keep up the pattern.

Dai101

Banned
Iron Man 1 and 2 killed off Iron Monger and Whiplash quite definitively. Very different from the other MCU films. I'm going to be really curious to see if IM3 and Thor 2 keep up the pattern.

I really hope they don't off the Mandarin, he has much potential for being an even bigger menace.

Blader

It dragged IM2 to a halt when it happened since it seemed like a weird, unnecessary detour in the plot. Compare it to SHIELD in Thor, where it all made perfect sense in the context of that film's self contained plot.

That and the whole 'Tony is being poisoned by the thing that is keeping him alive but we kind of just abandon that half way through so it doesn't even matter that it was ever a part of the plot' thing was dumb.

It wasn't abandoned, it was the whole point of Tony rediscovering his father's element.

-griffy-

Banned
It wasn't abandoned, it was the whole point of Tony rediscovering his father's element.

It was abandoned in the sense that it was a big part of the early film and then tidily resolved halfway through by Fury Ex Machina. It didn't feel like it needed to be a part of the film except to shoehorn Fury/SHIELD into helping Tony out. It had nothing to do with the main story.

I think its supposed to be an adamantium/vibranium blend in the comics, but they're shying away from adamantium in the MCU because of its association with Wolverine.

Adamantium is already an alloy of Vibranium. I'm pretty sure any adamantium/vibranium alloy would basically just be more adamantium.

Howard Stark clearly states that Cap's shield is made of vibranium in First Avenger.

Aaahhh ok. It's been a while since I watched it. It's just the way that it was being talked about sounded like they'd be introducing Vibranium in the MCU so I was like, "Wait, what? Isn't that what Cap's shield is made out of?" but it seems like they'll just be focusing on it more to tie in potential Black Panther jazziness.

Olly Moss alternate posters

FppIom5.jpg

Blader

It was abandoned in the sense that it was a big part of the early film and then tidily resolved halfway through by Fury Ex Machina. It didn't feel like it needed to be a part of the film except to shoehorn Fury/SHIELD into helping Tony out. It had nothing to do with the main story.

It ties into the movie's themes about legacy, so I don't think its really out of place. The problem is there's no follow through afterwards.

AMUSIX

I think IM2 should have played up the whole "the sins of the father are to be laid upon the children" thing a bit stronger. They did use it well in establishing Vanko's motivation and in developing a relationship between Tony and Ivan, and in giving some emotional weight to Tony's progress, but they sort of abandoned it as soon as the element was found.

There needed to be some resolution/redemption of Howard's sin of turning his back on Vanko. My suggestion would be to have Tony learning that his father's betrayal of his partner (leading to the creation of Whiplash) used as the catalyst for his descent into alcoholism. Then, use a realization of the parallel of his own life (creating the world's fair, turning his back on Rhodey, losing his connection with Pepper) with his father's as a trigger to snap him out of the funk. Essentially, he realizes that he's not supposed to make things better with the son of the guy his father betrayed, instead, in order to win, he's supposed to not commit the same sins as his father.

The disease and death wish don't need to be there. Just have SHIELD show up in response to his drinking.

Oh, and I agree that the SHIELD presence and setting up for Avengers thing really wasn't much in IM2. Heck, in IM1, you had SHIELD constantly trying to connect with Tony, and, then, at the end, are the first group to take on Iron Monger and protect Pepper.

I was thinking, Joss Whedon said he wants to make Avengers 2 a bit smaller and more personal, (or something like that) and going from the Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 trailers and various interviews I get the feeling that they may be a bit more introspective (I could be wrong though) even if they don't give up the spectacle. So if this is the case, do you think that this was the plan? To make Phase 2 a bit more introspective.

J10

Banned
This is what I think happens. Jah Sweden says a lot of things to the press. Then Kevin Feige throws tens of millions of dollars at him and tells him what to actually do.

It'll be written in his voice, but he'll still be following orders like every other director Marvel has hired. These guys don't get 150 million dollar budgets to just fuck around with.

Top Bottom