• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Blader

Aren't these two tied up in X-men copyright red tape, or no?

No, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are kind of a weird property. Both FOX and Marvel can use them so long as the former doesn't reference their Avengers background and the latter doesn't reference their mutant background.

Tom_Cody

Kevin Feige has stated that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can be used by both Marvel/Disney and Fox, since they were Avengers in the comics.

I think Marvel can use them but not mention that they are mutants, who their parents are, the x-men and so on.
This is an interesting topic. It's always unclear to me how specific the lines are in terms of which characters can be used by which studios. I believe the term "mutant" is off limits to Marvel but it's unclear to me how all of the dozens/hundreds of other characters are divided up beyond that.

I'm actually really amazed that Marvel could potentially use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch considering that they are Magneto's children. They are definitely the most obvious brother/side Avengers, but are there any other possibilities?

Hightower

Banned
No, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are kind of a weird property. Both FOX and Marvel can use them so long as the former doesn't reference their Avengers background and the latter doesn't reference their mutant background.

I think it comes down to "whoever uses them first"

This is an interesting topic. It's always unclear to me how specific the lines are in terms of which characters can be used by which studios. I believe the term "mutant" is off limits to Marvel but it's unclear to me how all of the dozens/hundreds of other characters are divided up beyond that.

I'm actually really amazed that Marvel could potentially use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch considering that they are Magneto's children. They are definitely the most obvious brother/side Avengers, but are there any other possibilities?

I think I read somewhere whoever use them first got them. lol

beaten. :(

J10

Banned
Is Marvel really gonna put Quicksilver on the big screen before DC does The Flash?

BOc8Dsm.jpg

DC, you fuckin' up.

Wasn't Quicksilver kinda in Wolverine Origins though? One of the kids in a cage near the end.

EDIT: And damn, I really want Marvel to get some street level stuff going, doesn't have to tie into Avengers in anyway more than taking place in the same universe. Isn't Spider-Man like the only street level hero they don't have the rights to? I mean Cloak & Dagger, Punisher, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and so on. Please Marvel, pretty please.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Iron Man: And who are you two supposed to be?
Wanda: Oh, um, we're brother and sister. Our father is a powerful mut--er, a different sort of fellow who was born with interesting magnetic powers.
Quicksilver: Yes, and because our father was born with powers we were also born with powers. Kind of like a genetic thing.
Iron Man: So you're saying there are people out there born with powers? I built my suit, Banner was hit with gamma radiation, Thor is a God, Cap was a scientific experiment... but there are others out there with mutations?
Wanda: Don't say that word! Are you crazy!
Iron Man: Why? What do you mean?
Quicksilver: You guys had a big fight with Loki in New York a while ago, right? Well, wasn't there something missing? There's a hero out there that famously makes his home in New York. Pretty iconic. You can't say his name for the same reason you can't say mutant.
Iron Man: Yeah, where was that dipshit Parker by the way?
Quicksilver: For chrisakes!! For a genius you're pretty stupid.
Iron Man: Well, it's not like Reed figured it out either.
Quicksilver: *facepalm*

Dai101

Banned
Wanda: Oh, um, we're brother and sister. Our father is a powerful mut--er, a different sort of fellow who was born with interesting magnetic powers.
Quicksilver: Yes, and because our father was born with powers we were also born with powers. Kind of like a genetic thing.
Iron Man: So you're saying there are people out there born with powers? I built my suit, Banner was hit with gamma radiation, Thor is a God, Cap was a scientific experiment... but there are others out there with mutations?
Quicksilver: You guys had a big fight with Loki in New York a while ago, right? Well, wasn't there something missing? There's a hero out there that famously makes his home in New York. Pretty iconic. You can't say his name for the same reason you can't say mutant.

aVgf9rY.jpg

It seems odd to me that Avengers 2 is apparently adding a bunch of heroes who have never been seen before onscreen. In Phase 1 they even fit Hawkeye into Thor.

It seems odd to me that Avengers 2 is apparently adding a bunch of heroes who have never been seen before onscreen. In Phase 1 they even fit Hawkeye into Thor.

Who says they won't be onscreen beforehand?

And besides the point, if the non-Avengers films can introduce new characters, there's nothing wrong with the Avengers films doing it, IMO.

Who says they won't be onscreen beforehand?

There's nothing in Iron Man 3, and we'd know by now if there were any intros in Thor since that's done shooting. The only place to fit in any surprises would be Captain America, and I just don't see how they'd get Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in there.

GOTG is supposed to be relatively self contained so aside from Thanos (and the random Iron Man rumor) that's a wash as well.

It also strikes me as very awkward to have those two in Avengers 2 while tiptoeing around the whole mutant thing. I mean how do you even explain their powers? I trust Whedon but I don't like it. I hope it's a different brother and sister that we haven't thought of.

Blader

It'd work if they were a part of the story instead of just being added as new members.

Like, you could introduce Black Panther in Avengers 2 if the story involved Wakanda and that's how the team ends up crossing paths with him.

DieH@rd

Banned
There's nothing in Iron Man 3, and we'd know by now if there were any intros in Thor since that's done shooting. The only place to fit in any surprises would be Captain America, and I just don't see how they'd get Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in there.

And could you predict that Hawkeye will have brief random appearance in Thor1? If they want to, they could place cameo for anyone in any movie.

mjc

She's a little bit less of a hard ass in The Avengers than she is in the comics. Also less of a bitch, although she's been better in recent years.

And could you predict that Hawkeye will have brief random appearance in Thor1? If they want to, they could place cameo for anyone in any movie.

The difference is that Hawkeye is a SHIELD agent with no superhuman abilities. When you get right down to it, he's just a peak human archer. He didn't need a proper introduction to justify his abilities or give him a backstory. You could throw him into Thor in place of an extra and it made no real difference.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch cannot just be dropped onscreen without ceremony, but you also can't cover their origin in Avengers 2 since Fox owns that. Whedon will have to pull a Houdini maneuver to get around the problem.

Joss Whedon on Avengers 2:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=78251
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...-avengers-2-resurrection-agent-035428385.html

Two things:

1.RDJ confirmed to appear in Avengers 2
2.Brother/sister act = Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch??

swqs.png

Cap's Kooky Quartet in Avengers 2? Be still my heart.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I just can't think of anyone else he could be referring to, even in a metaphorical, non-literal way.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch cannot just be dropped onscreen without ceremony, but you also can't cover their origin in Avengers 2 since Fox owns that. Whedon will have to pull a Houdini maneuver to get around the problem.

Ehh, hate to use a bad example, but Wanda was introduced just fine in the crappy Avengers United They Stand as a European Gypsy. I can see it working just fine in the "mutant-free" world of the MCU. Quicksilver would be trickier.

The only thing I can think of that would work is if they simply change the origin.

Wasn't there a rumor that the Falcon in the movie got his powers from the Tesseract? Maybe they'll do something similar for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch and get them into Captain America.

Yeah my first thought was some type of cameo in Captain America.

Walking through the helicarrier and they brush by Cap/Falcon/whoever. A few words are exchanged, move on. It introduces them a bit and doesn't detract much from the film itself.

So if Fox can still use them even if Marvel uses them first, we could possibly have two Scarlet Witches and two Quicksilvers running around in different universes at the same time played by different actors?

So if Fox can still use them even if Marvel uses them first, we could possibly have two Scarlet Witches and two Quicksilvers running around in different universes at the same time played by different actors?

Yeah I just thought of that. If Fox wants to use them too, are they allowed to get the same actor or are they forced to use someone different.

Yeah I just thought of that. If Fox wants to use them too, are they allowed to get the same actor or are they forced to use someone different.

This is conjecture but I would imagine that any contract Marvel inks with an actor would probably stipulate that they can't play the same character for anyone else.

Blader

The difference is that Hawkeye is a SHIELD agent with no superhuman abilities. When you get right down to it, he's just a peak human archer. He didn't need a proper introduction to justify his abilities or give him a backstory. You could throw him into Thor in place of an extra and it made no real difference.

If they go the Masters of Evil route for Avengers 2, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can be members of that team who end up defecting, or something.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Maybe Joss can introduce Wanda and Pietro in the SHIELD TV series before they show up in Avengers 2. Or maybe they can get a Marvel One Shots short film.

Nether!

If they go the Masters of Evil route for Avengers 2, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can be members of that team who end up defecting, or something.

That's a cool idea - open the movie in the middle of action against another super team - Justice League Unlimited style.
Then have these two locked up and reappear late in the second act when the Avengers need their help against the Big Bad.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

meh too much trouble, and i doubt we will get the vision in part 2...Im hoping for 2 new girls and maybe a guy so wasp and ms marvel!!!!!!!!!, Ant Man is an eventual lock so take your pick for the guy BP, War Machine, Wonder Man, or maybe a street level guy kinda the big names extending their hand to everyone wanting to lend a hand, DD, or Luke Cage/Iron Fist.

When will you give me lord Namor marvel when? i can see it now everyones suiting up like in avengers 1 and theres just a shot of namor taking off his clothes down to his speedos

Cap: You gonna suit up soldier
Namor : I am suiting up

Hindle

Banned
I've been thinking who they could cast as Ant Man. Personally I'd think Jason Bateman or Will Arnett would be awesome as him.

0322_oanh.gif

Top Bottom