• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Xamdou

Iron Man: And who are you two supposed to be?
Wanda: Oh, um, we're brother and sister. Our father is a powerful mut--er, a different sort of fellow who was born with interesting magnetic powers.
Quicksilver: Yes, and because our father was born with powers we were also born with powers. Kind of like a genetic thing.
Iron Man: So you're saying there are people out there born with powers? I built my suit, Banner was hit with gamma radiation, Thor is a God, Cap was a scientific experiment... but there are others out there with mutations?
Wanda: Don't say that word! Are you crazy!
Iron Man: Why? What do you mean?
Quicksilver: You guys had a big fight with Loki in New York a while ago, right? Well, wasn't there something missing? There's a hero out there that famously makes his home in New York. Pretty iconic. You can't say his name for the same reason you can't say mutant.
Iron Man: Yeah, where was that dipshit Parker by the way?
Quicksilver: For chrisakes!! For a genius you're pretty stupid.
Iron Man: Well, it's not like Reed figured it out either.
Quicksilver: *facepalm*

It's a real pity that Spider-man wasn't in Avengers due to Sony exclusive movie rights, we missed out on his witty jokes and his glorious web slinging action sequences.

Hey guys! Time travel's been confirmed to be a plot point in Avengers 2!

381988_638469259502983_984271694_n.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Put on The Avengers in the background while I did other things. NOPE. Sat and watched all of it ahead of Iron Man 3 tonight. A lot better than I remember too.

Nathan Fillion is the only right casting for Ant-Man. Someone mentioned Ewan Mcgregor, screw that. Bradley Cooper could be good too. As long as it's not Simon Pegg or Michael Cera, it's all good really!

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It's a real pity that Spider-man wasn't in Avengers due to Sony exclusive movie rights, we missed out on his witty jokes and his glorious web slinging action sequences.

It might not be as far off as it we think. You guys remember this story, right?

http://latino-review.com/2012/06/11/spider-man-the-avengers-sort/

Here’s the story – last week, The Amazing Spider-Man’s production designer J Michael Riva passed away after suffering a stroke at the age of 63. Not only did he design the Oscorp Tower for ASM, but he has a staggering resume of awesomeness including The Goonies, The Color Purple, A Few Good Men, Congo, Evolution, and the upcoming Django Unchained.

Oh – And the Iron Man movies.

That design overlap, and the stunning look of the Oscorp Tower (seriously stunning) was enough for Marvel Studios and Sony to have the discussion about inserting Oscorp into The Avengers skyline. The Unified Marvel Manhattan Skyline almost existed.

There's a billion+ dollars to be made in an Avengers w/Spider-Man. I'm sure if Disney/Marvel pick up the production tab, Sony would grant the rights for Parker/Garfield, as long as they get a decent revenue cut.

Though Disney is a stickler for cash...

There's a billion+ dollars to be made in an Avengers w/Spider-Man. I'm sure if Disney/Marvel pick up the production tab, Sony would grant the rights for Parker/Garfield, as long as they get a decent revenue cut.

There's already been a billion+ dollars made in an Avengers movie without Spider-Man. In what way does it make sense for Disney to throw away a chunk of that to appease Sony?

Blader

There's already been a billion+ dollars made in an Avengers movie without Spider-Man. In what way does it make sense for Disney to throw away a chunk of that to appease Sony?

Especially when Amazing Spider-Man didn't exactly light the world on fire. There's nothing worthwhile there that Disney would go out of their way to shoehorn into their movie.

Put on The Avengers in the background while I did other things. NOPE. Sat and watched all of it ahead of Iron Man 3 tonight. A lot better than I remember too.

Nathan Fillion is the only right casting for Ant-Man. Someone mentioned Ewan Mcgregor, screw that. Bradley Cooper could be good too. As long as it's not Simon Pegg or Michael Cera, it's all good really!

I heard Fillion didn't wanna do it.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Especially when Amazing Spider-Man didn't exactly light the world on fire. There's nothing worthwhile there that Disney would go out of their way to shoehorn into their movie.

I'm not saying for Avengers 2, but possibly for a future Avengers movie when the franchise needs a financial spark. Spidey is huge in the Asian markets. ASM outgrossed all Phase 1 Marvel movies (sans Avengers) in Global Box office returns.

Global returns:
ASM - $490M
Iron Man 2 - $311M
Thor - $268M
Iron Man - $266M
Captain America - $191M
The Incredible Hulk - $128M

For reference:
Avengers - $888M
SM3 - $554M
SM - $418M
SM2 - $410M

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Here's your spoilers for how Coulson is explained in the new SHIELD tv show...

http://www.slashfilm.com/want-to-know-how-agent-coulson-comes-back-in-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/

In the pilot, it’s revealed Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), the ultimate super spy, faked Agent Coulson’s death on purpose to motivate The Avengers. Some S.H.I.E.L.D. members were in on it (including, possibly, Maria Hill played by Cobie Smulders) but The Avengers were not. Their security clearance wasn’t high enough. Coulson was forced to hold his breath as part of the ruse and that’s a point of contention among his colleagues After the fact, Fury moved him to a remote location until things died down, and then he was reinserted into duty at the time of the show.

At this moment, several things are unclear about this explanation. First, it’s unclear how Loki piercing him with the scepter didn’t kill him. Also, it’s unclear if Coulson’s return to S.H.I.E.L.D. will be a reveal in the rest of Phase Two or exactly why he was reinstated. What is clear is this plot point is part of a larger story, with more details to be revealed in the show itself. Things may change but, for now, this is the basic story Marvel is going with.

J10

Banned
This would work better if we hadn't seen Coulson die in front of Fury. It's not as if the camera cut away before he took his last breath. If Coulson did fake his death, it would have to have been his idea, not Fury's, based on how it was depicted.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I call BS on that. When Fury sees Coulson wounded, he looks visibly shaken and really has no motivation to fake that emotion, since nobody is watching them.

inky

Here's your spoilers for how Coulson is explained in the new SHIELD tv show...

http://www.slashfilm.com/want-to-know-how-agent-coulson-comes-back-in-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/

Well the thing about
Maria hill being in on this wouldn't make sense with the scene in the movie where she points out where his Cap trading cards actually were. Although that would hint towards her first knowing he is not actually dead, the playing along when he realized what Fury was up to.

In any case, that's pretty much what a lot of people thought really happened, and Coulson is confirmed to be on the pilot at least.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Screenwriters Markus And McFeely Talk CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, There's A Rights Issue With Modok?

When talk progressed to the film's villains, which have been confirmed to include the likes of Crossbones (Frank Grillo), Batroc the Leaper (Georges St. Pierre) and obviously the Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan), the screenwriting pair insinuated that they tried to sneak in one more villain. "There are the [villain] favorites I’m always trying to wedge in, but the problem is you can’t wedge in a giant, flying head. It’s not like MODOK can pop up in one scene. But, I think you’ve seen in the casting announcements that a couple a snuck in," stated McFeely. And when the interviewer revealed his enthusiasm for Modok, Markus replied, "There’s a rights issue there, somehow."

If you recall back to the first Captain America's film release, the screenwriting pair revealed they were very keen on using Modok in the sequel and even went so far as to say they wanted Peter Dinkalage in the role but apparently there's legal issues there.

This makes no sense. I'm pretty sure Fox or Sony don't have rights to MODOK. And AIM appears in Iron Man 3. So what's the problem?

Correction: It looks as if the screenwriters are stating there might be an issue with Modok appearing in Days of Future Past, not Winter Soldier.

This makes no sense to me. Why would M.O.D.O.K. appear in Days of Future Past? Dinklage is in the film, maybe the writer is confused and they were referring to that.

The only way Sony doesn't make mad cash on a Spider Man film is if they make one where he just starts murdering children.

The franchise is a guaranteed money maker.

Exactly, but you still see people acting like it was a huge flop and that the Iron Man franchise is much hotter, ASM outgrossed IM2 by like 100 million.

They often compare it to the old trilogy's success which were released under different circumstances than ASM. Sam Raimi's first Spider-man movie was the first time Spidey appeared on the big screen it was a event movie like the Avengers. Of course by the fourth movie there are signs of fatigue plus the fact that its a new cast Oh and ASM2 will gross a billion.

Xun

What's the likelihood of Iron Man appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy? I'd imagine quite strong, but I'm not sure.

TDLink

What's the likelihood of Iron Man appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy? I'd imagine quite strong, but I'm not sure.

Considering the Iron Man 3 rumour was false I would say like 1%. I am pretty confident he won't show up and that GotG will be its own thing...which is perfect and the way it should be.

Im not sure but RDJ has a contract for 2 more movies, and he will 100% appear in A2.

Actually Iron Man 3 was the last film in his 5 movie contract. He is confirmed by Joss Whedon for Avengers 2 though so obviously a second contract has been negotiated now, we just don't know the specifics yet.

Blader

Considering the Iron Man 3 rumour was false I would say like 1%. I am pretty confident he won't show up and that GotG will be its own thing...which is perfect and the way it should be.

Actually Iron Man 3 was the last film in his 5 movie contract. He is confirmed by Joss Whedon for Avengers 2 though so obviously a second contract has been negotiated now, we just don't know the specifics yet.

Downey's contract was only for 4 movies: 3 solo flicks, 1 Avengers.

I know Whedon mentioned Downey in his last Avengers 2 update, but he's not really the one to decide whether or not someone can come back; more like, he's writing the script as if Downey/Stark will be in it. But he most likely will be back anyway.

TDLink

Downey's contract was only for 4 movies: 3 solo flicks, 1 Avengers.

I know Whedon mentioned Downey in his last Avengers 2 update, but he's not really the one to decide whether or not someone can come back; more like, he's writing the script as if Downey/Stark will be in it. But he most likely will be back anyway.

I'm pretty sure it was a 5 picture deal but his Incredible Hulk appearance was one of those.

I think there'll be a fourth Iron Man film, but it'll be at the end of Phase 3 instead. Possibly as a way to introduce the new guy playing Iron Man, for Avengers 3?

I don't think they'll change the character, it will remain Tony Stark. They talked to RDJ about it, he said he loved the character (b/c it's literally him), but he understood that he couldn't play it forever and that he hopes someone would become Tony after him.

I don't think they'll change the character, it will remain Tony Stark. They talked to RDJ about it, he said he loved the character (b/c it's literally him), but he understood that he couldn't play it forever and that he hopes someone would become Tony after him.

That's what I meant, the new actor for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Hightower

Banned

IT also means nothing to the story.

Spidey has never been a big part of the Avengers.

Yes, he was part of the "New Avengers" arc that Bendis did... but he serves no real purpose. He's not part of the classic line up, him being there adds nothing to the movie either.

In the comics, has anyone assumed the Iron Man position other than Rhodey? I'm thinking when RDJ leaves they'd do a TDKR type thing where some young buck comes in. I think people would be annoyed at someone else trying Tony/RDJ's schtick.

And if they played the same role and just behaved out of character it would be weird for no one to mention it (imagjne a Doctor Who where no one says anything about the regenerations).

I love the idea that Marvel seems to understand the importance of not losing momentum in this universe by constantly rebooting. I want this to last.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In the comics, has anyone assumed the Iron Man position other than Rhodey? I'm thinking when RDJ leaves they'd do a TDKR type thing where some young buck comes in. I think people would be annoyed at someone else trying Tony/RDJ's schtick.

And if they played the same role and just behaved out of character it would be weird for no one to mention it (imagjne a Doctor Who where no one says anything about the regenerations).

I love the idea that Marvel seems to understand the importance of not losing momentum in this universe by constantly rebooting. I want this to last.

There was a weird ass thing where a teenage Tony became Iron Man. Other than that there's a weird/evil future version of Iron Man called Arno Stark. Other than that I can't tink of anything at the moment.

Blader

RDJ has no contract with Marvel right now, they're still negotiating. But as of IM3, he's fulfilled his obligation to Marvel.

My guess is that he'll sign for Avengers 2 and that's it. He has said more than once on the IM3 press tour that he's become less and less interested in doing blockbusters, so he's definitely not going to re-up for another multi-film deal. He'll probably agree to Avengers 2 and maybe a smaller supporting in Avengers 3, but I'm guessing he's done with solo Iron Man movies.

RDJ mentioned that he aims to play Tony Stark for 3 more years. After that, he says he will be to old for action movies.

That comment was for genre pictures as a whole (which includes Sherlock 3), not just Iron Man.

Top Bottom