• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

There was a weird ass thing where a teenage Tony became Iron Man. Other than that there's a weird/evil future version of Iron Man called Arno Stark. Other than that I can't tink of anything at the moment.

This reminds me: does Marvel have Young Avengers rights? It could be the X-Men alternative we never got cos of all the Wolverineization of those films. I remember hearing about Runaways, but I don't think that would work as a film. Maybe a TV show?

ETA: Wiki says his name was Iron Lad! (I haven't read YA since the first volume/Dark era).

I honestly think that Marvel should say "Fuck Sony" and just do Spider-Girl. Do a Spider-Girl film and then put her in The Avengers. Maximum troll.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I honestly think that Marvel should say "Fuck Sony" and just do Spider-Girl. Do a Spider-Girl film and then put her in The Avengers. Maximum troll.

Or they can use Miles Morales as the Spider-Man of the MCU and say "fuck you Sony, do something about it."

Avengers 3 needs that Doctor Doom Magneto double team for bad guys. Spiderman and Wolverine as avengers and FF4 or at least Reed as supporting cast

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Regarding the Coulson spoiler could be played this way:
Fury is genuinely upset for a minute at Coulson's injury. Then a medical team arrives and announces he is barely alive. Fury instantly turns cold, remarks that he can use this to their advantage, and orders the medics to remain silent.

Some variation of this scenario would demonstrate Fury is a bastard and wouldn't be too cheesy IMO.

Avengers 3 needs that Doctor Doom Magneto double team for bad guys. Spiderman and Wolverine as avengers and FF4 or at least Reed as supporting cast

It's a real shame that this will never be possible.

Almost as bad as DC owning all their properties but not having a single clue what to do with them.

Regarding the Coulson spoiler could be played this way:
Fury is genuinely upset for a minute at Coulson's injury. Then a medical team arrives and announces he is barely alive. Fury instantly turns cold, remarks that he can use this to their advantage, and orders the medics to remain silent.

Some variation of this scenario would demonstrate Fury is a bastard and wouldn't be too cheesy IMO.

.... okay, so you're making me less angry.

Continue.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This reminds me: does Marvel have Young Avengers rights? It could be the X-Men alternative we never got cos of all the Wolverineization of those films. I remember hearing about Runaways, but I don't think that would work as a film. Maybe a TV show?

ETA: Wiki says his name was Iron Lad! (I haven't read YA since the first volume/Dark era).

Runaways would work excellent as a tv show. An adaptation of the first volume could easily be a 13 episode show.

ericexpo

I remember Runaways was in the works a while back before Marvel got big so it got put on the back burner.
It would make a great tv show because of small connections to the Marvel U.

What do you guys think are some of the more likely big cameos for the SHIELD show? Hiddleston probably wouldn't be hard to swing and he'd draw in all the ladies. RDJ is probably too big but maybe he might do it for fun? Would be neat to see Evans.

Blader

What do you guys think are some of the more likely big cameos for the SHIELD show? Hiddleston probably wouldn't be hard to swing and he'd draw in all the ladies. RDJ is probably too big but maybe he might do it for fun? Would be neat to see Evans.

I think Jackson and Smulders are the likeliest.

I hope RDJ swings around for shits and giggles.

We'll probably see a lot of Sitwell though, if I were a betting man.

Jasper_Sitwell.png

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I think Marvel has the movie rights to everything you haven't seen on screen from another movie studio, with the recent exception of Daredevil and the characters that orbit him.

Punisher and Blade are back at Marvel, too.

Hightower

Banned
I honestly don't feel the Iron Man/Tony Stark character can survive without RDJ. He IS Tony Stark in a way that no other actor has melded with their roles.

If RDJ won't do it.. then kill off Stark in an Avengers movie.

Ein Bear

I honestly don't feel the Iron Man/Tony Stark character can survive without RDJ. He IS Tony Stark in a way that no other actor has melded with their roles.

If RDJ won't do it.. then kill off Stark in an Avengers movie.

I agree with this, I really don't think they could pull off a James Bond sort of thing, RDJ just is the character.

Though I doubt it will be a factor for a while. Regardless of what he might say now, I'm sure the dumptrucks of money they offer him to stick around will change his mind.

J10

Banned
Relax, they're not recasting him tomorrow. There are many capable actors on earth and none of them need to resort to doing a Robert Downey impersonation to fill that role. Nerds were saying the same shit about Joker.

Hightower

Banned
Relax, they're not recasting him tomorrow. There are many capable actors on earth and none of them need to resort to doing a Robert Downey impersonation to fill that role. Nerds were saying the same shit about Joker.

Joker is a BIG difference from the LITERAL 'heart and soul" of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Everything has been built around Iron Man and Tony Stark. He's the human touch in everything and most of that spawns from RDJ himself.

Joker is a BIG difference from the LITERAL 'heart and soul" of the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Everything has been built around Iron Man and Tony Stark. He's the human touch in everything and most of that spawns from RDJ himself.

He was instrumental in building what they've got but let's not exaggerate now. Thor has its own following and will do fine. The other franchises will all do fine. Marvel would not roll over and die if RDJ dropped dead tomorrow. Joss Whedon would make Avengers work without him. It'd be fine.

J10

Banned

Only in your mind. In my mind he's just an actor playing a comic book character in a movie.

Hightower

Banned
He was instrumental in building what they've got but let's not exaggerate now. Thor has its own following and will do fine. The other franchises will all do fine. Marvel would not roll over and die if RDJ dropped dead tomorrow. Joss Whedon would make Avengers work without him. It'd be fine.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not saying that it's going to roll over and die. in fact, I only expect the Marvel brand to keep growing as they take more chances with characters. (Which as a HUGE Marvel fan, I love seeing happen)

But RDJ brings so much to the Tony Stark roll that it's be damn near impossible to replace him with someone else. You have to admit he adds a human element to the films he's in. Especially in Avengers where he's part of this ensemble of super-powerful characters.

Kai Dracon

I personally don't mind recasting (any character) as time goes on if it means the MCU can enjoy a consistent continuity without reboots.

However, it might not be bad to do this ultimates style where characters die or leave permanently, time moves forward at a more realistic rate, and the universe can change quite dramatically compared to the normal Marvel status quo.

I could see MCU Tony Stark dying and leaving his legacy to someone else - even an original character created specifically for the MCU as the new Iron Man.

kai3345

Banned
Yeah, I'd be totally fine with them offing Iron Man in Avengers 2, maybe even Widow or Hawkeye. Allow room for some new characters, otherwise your cast will get too bloated.

JdFoX187

Banned
You want to make Thanos a badass? Kill Tony.

I can see this. I can also see something happening to Tony that when they eventually bring him back in Avengers 3 -- or whatever side movie they decide to attempt it in -- it can be with a different actor for some comic book reason that's barely touched upon.

iMerc

wait what's this talk about offing RDJ as iron man? holy shit.
people are crazy in here.

while i'm a big fan of miles morales, i just don't think he would work on cinema.
everyone knows who peter parker is. they know his backstory and he's instantly relatable and likeable.

seing miles on screen would just confuse people. especially because he also knows Gwen & MJ and they advise him on stuff.
"who the fuck is this kid? i though peter parker was spiderman? and how does he know gwen stacy & mary jane?? also, he's just a kid?
"it's the blue turbo ranger all over again!"

(ok that last part was me)

wait what's this talk about offing RDJ as iron man? holy shit.
people are crazy in here.

while i'm a big fan of miles morales, i just don't think he would work on cinema.
everyone knows who peter parker is. they know his backstory and he's instantly relatable and likeable.

seing miles on screen would just confuse people. especially because he also knows Gwen & MJ and they advise him on stuff.
"who the fuck is this kid? i though peter parker was spiderman? and how does he know gwen stacy & mary jane?? also, he's just a kid?
"it's the blue turbo ranger all over again!"

(ok that last part was me)

You could avoid all that by doing Spider-Girl.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You want to make Thanos a badass? Kill Tony.
Yup. Would make for a great climax of the film.

At this point I'm convinced killing him is the best option and then reviving him with the Infinity Gems is the best way to go. Not really going out of the way to canonize a new actor either.

Either way, I don't think we'll be seeing Tony in an IM4, or that we'll be seeing an IM4 anytime soon. Or maybe at all.

JdFoX187

Banned

At this point I'm convinced killing him is the best option and then reviving him with the Infinity Gems is the best way to go. Not really going out of the way to canonize a new actor either.

Either way, I don't think we'll be seeing Tony in an IM4, or that we'll be seeing an IM4 anytime soon. Or maybe at all.

Iron Man makes too damn much money for them to completely lose their most profitable single-hero movie. Robert Downey Jr. may be everyone's vision of Iron Man and Tony Stark, but he can be easily recast moving forward, and Feige has already said he's not afraid to do so. We'll see Iron Man 4, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not until perhaps Phase 4 or something like that.

nomis

I can see this. I can also see something happening to Tony that when they eventually bring him back in Avengers 3 -- or whatever side movie they decide to attempt it in -- it can be with a different actor for some comic book reason that's barely touched upon.

This is the most believable route I can see them taking it. Regenerate him Dr. Who style.

In a flash of white light, the Avengers see the silhouette of Tony Stark... and as the light fades we see a different actor with the Tony goatee then he says something snarky.

This is the most believable route I can see them taking it. Regenerate him Dr. Who style.

In a flash of white light, the Avengers see the silhouette of Tony Stark... and as the light fades we see a different actor with the Tony goatee then he says something snarky.

Regenerating into Teen Tony Stark. Only to reboot it Heroes Reborn style afterwards.

Cartman86

Banned

I can just picture ads during sweeps week where they are trying to get better ratings, "This week on ABC's Agents of Shield! Special guest star Chris Evans makes an unexpected stop at the gangs apartment!"

Salsa

I hope there are no cameos

or at least like, very specific ones that happen like.. once?

as excited as I am at Marvel getting a TV series im equally excited about Joss getting back to television, so I expect him to create new characters that interest me and can handle the show on their own, rather than being some ploy to get away with fan service and building hype for the films

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D should be a standalone, separated thing and the only real star movie cast should be Clark Gregg.

I was really glad to see Iron Man 3 following this separated stand alone story route rather than being all about connecting everything and pre-selling tickets for the next big show. I obviously love all that stuff but the characters work on their own. It kinda reached critical mass, cant do that exact same trick again in the same way.

Well, this is why I'm glad their doing this now. Trying to milk RDJ as much as possible before he becomes too old.

A shame when we find the "perfect" actors, they all have to be replaced eventually.

Goddamn.

:(

Salsa

keeping tony and changing the actor like nothing happened would be stupid and people would absolutely hate it

get someone else to be new Iron Man and send Tony to retirement, dont try to top RDJ's performance

plus you get to bring him back for a cameo years from now and everyone goes all "omg geekgasm lulz!!1"

eastx

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D should be a standalone, separated thing and the only real star movie cast should be Clark Gregg.

Sure, if it didn't take place in the Marvel universe. But since it does take place in that shared universe, it would be pointless to exclude other Marvel elements from the show such as recognizable characters and actors. Would Marvel ever publish a SHIELD book that didn't take place in the larger universe and have some crossover elements? I don't think so.

DodgerSan

Stark is dead, and in a last ditch effort to bring him back they use the reality gem. It reaches out and finds a Stark that is alive, and brings him into our world.

From the Ultimate universe.

Yes, I know the Gems only work in our universe, I'm thinking more of a portal.

Kai Dracon

The idea of killing Tony and reviving him as a somewhat different person is great.

Plus we haven't yet had a big death in the MCU. For all that comic book characters never stay dead, it's pretty common in major events for a bad guy to prove their worth by unexpectedly murdering a big name. (Then shit gets real and they're taken down.)

Top Bottom