• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

bryanee

I wouldn't want it to be anyone other than Parker either, racism doesn't even come into it. Its like all the idiots who wanted John Blake as Batman in the JL film or even a stand alone Bats film, fuck that. Its Bruce or no one, especially for the JL film.

ReiGun

It's all moot since Spider-Man will never be in these movies.

Take it away, Tobey!

2003839490.gif

ReiGun

Sony should totally use Miles for their inevitable third reboot of the franchise. It would be worth it for the delicious internet outrage. They could even bring Tobey back to die in the opening.

you know there's no reason a black/Hispanic/Asian/whatever actor couldn't just play Peter Parker for a threeboot

also, please kill me for coining that term

Hightower

Banned
you know there's no reason a black/Hispanic/Asian/whatever actor couldn't just play Peter Parker for a threeboot

also, please kill me for coining that term

Uh.. yeah there is.

Not to sound racist, but you dont racially recast a character just for the sake of doing so.

Why not a Chinese Superman?
Mexican Captain America?
Italian Red Skull? Oh... thats been done...

Uh.. yeah there is.

Not to sound racist, but you dont racially recast a character just for the sake of doing so.

Mexican Captain America?
For some characters race matters, like captain america, Luke Cage, black panther and Iron Fist. For Spider-Man it does not.

Uh.. yeah there is.

Mexican Captain America?

You're assuming they'd go out of their way to cast a non-white actor. That ain't what I said. I said they merely could cast non-white.

The idea that casting non-white always has to mean something is real fucking stupid, and needs to go away now. You pick the right guy for the job.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nerds who spend far too much time on the Internet start thinking the masses are as knowledgeable as they in nerdy stuff, like comic books. A Miles Spidey could work on the big screen, but he'd need his own origin movie first. Just having a Miles-Spidey show up in the Avengers? : lol

Yeah, Cap is definitely bound to being a white American, for obvious reasons. Likewise, there's loads of heroes that have definitive racial roots- Magneto being Jewish is something you can't really change, for instance. Unless you made him Armenian or something.

But Parker's an NYC kid. That could be anyone.

Nesotenso

For some characters race matters, like captain america, Luke Cage, black panther and Iron Fist. For Spider-Man it does not.

I disagree that the race and look of characters doesn't matter and that it doesn't matter if we engage in racebending if the character is white. Sony struggle to get Parker right as it is.

exYle

keeping tony and changing the actor like nothing happened would be stupid and people would absolutely hate it

get someone else to be new Iron Man and send Tony to retirement, dont try to top RDJ's performance

plus you get to bring him back for a cameo years from now and everyone goes all "omg geekgasm lulz!!1"

Dr. Banner says hello

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want it to be anyone other than Parker either, racism doesn't even come into it. Its like all the idiots who wanted John Blake as Batman in the JL film or even a stand alone Bats film, fuck that. Its Bruce or no one, especially for the JL film.

kKa2Ga7l.jpg

Hightower

Banned
You're assuming they'd go out of their way to cast a non-white actor. That ain't what I said. I said they merely could cast non-white.

The idea that casting non-white always has to mean something is real fucking stupid, and needs to go away now. You pick the right guy for the job.

No, you pick the right guy for the CHARACTER.

You don't go changing major aspects of the character just for the sake of doing so.

ESPECIALLY ones deeply integrated into pop culture. Those characters have a defined physical appearance, and have for many decades.

ReiGun

Nerds who spend far too much time on the Internet start thinking the masses are as knowledgeable as they in nerdy stuff, like comic books. A Miles Spidey could work on the big screen, but he'd need his own origin movie first. Just having a Miles-Spidey show up in the Avengers? : lol

Who said anything about audiences being knowledgeable? People are just saying stuff they would personally like to see. Like people have been doing since this thread started.

I don't even know how we got back on this Miles thing. Spider-Man will never be in these films period, so all the arguing about which version it should be is dumb.

No, you pick the right guy for the CHARACTER.

You don't go changing major aspects of the character just for the sake of doing so.

ESPECIALLY ones deeply integrated into pop culture. Those characters have a defined physical appearance, and have for many decades.

you can say this, but then again people loved black nick fury SO much that O.G. nick fury has basically been written out of continuity.

Hightower

Banned
you can say this, but then again people loved black nick fury SO much that O.G. nick fury has basically been written out of continuity.

You do realize that the Ultimate universe Fury greatly predates the movies, correct?

The movies are greatly influenced by the Ultimate universe.

And in turn, the movie audiences help influence what direction the comics go...

Nesotenso

Nick Fury senior still exists but it is hilarious to see how Battle Scars introduced this long lost son. And Nick Fury doesn't compare to Peter Parker/ Spidey

OG Nick Fury was still around when Ultimate Nick Fury came on the scene.

Ultimate nick fury and O.G. nick fury existed at the same time.

When it came time to do the movies, marvel decided ultimate was simply better, despite O.G. nick fury being around "for decades" and being better known.

black nick fury in avengers took off SO WELL that "nick fury jr." was introduced to mainline 616, and O.G. is basically gone and retired.

now, I'm not saying that nick fury is on the recognition level of spider man or captain america, but clearly that case shows that it CAN and HAS been done, and done in a way that the audience loved it.

ReiGun

Blade says hello.

Blade's barely relevant anymore. Falcon about to swoop in on Captain America's coattails and steal all his shine. Though I suppose there's still Storm...

Black America deserves better than this. Static or Monica Rambeau need to find their way into movies.

It'll still be Green Lantern to me, damn it.

But Jon Stewart is just...just..*yawn*...just so...
ResidentSleeper.png

Nesotenso

Ultimate nick fury and O.G. nick fury existed at the same time.

When it came time to do the movies, marvel decided ultimate was simply better, despite O.G. nick fury being around "for decades" and being better known.

black nick fury in avengers took off SO WELL that "nick fury jr." was introduced to mainline 616, and O.G. is basically gone and retired.

now, I'm not saying that nick fury is on the recognition level of spider man or captain america, but clearly that case shows that it CAN and HAS been done, and done in a way that the audience loved it.
Nick Fury was the ultimate one because Marvel had the opportunity to cast Sam Jackson. The Nick Fury thing is going to be harder to replicate with a higher q score character.

J10

Banned
You think a dude who talks to birds is going to become more relevant than a vampire hunter?

I'll take that bet right now.

kswiston

Nick Fury was the ultimate one because Marvel had the opportunity to cast Sam Jackson. The Nick Fury thing is going to be harder to replicate with a higher q score character.

Other than the A-listers, I don't think anyone other than a handful of comic geeks would care if they change the background of a comic character. Like, would it really matter if they made Wonder Man Black in a future Avengers movie?

There hasnt been a Blade movie in almost 10 years.

To be fair, Wesley Snipes was locked up.

Other than the A-listers, I don't think anyone other than a handful of comic geeks would care if they change the background of a comic character. Like, would it really matter if they made Wonder Man Black in a future Avengers movie?

not at all. there's a very short list of characters that can't be messed with for any reason on the A list, and beyond that it shouldn't make a difference. Make cloak and dagger about a white guy and a black woman and literally no one will know.

Top Bottom