• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Hightower

Banned
You think a dude who talks to birds is going to become more relevant than a vampire hunter?

I'll take that bet right now.

Well one character will be in a large grossing super hero movie coming off the tails of one of the largest movies f all time...

The other is a dead franchise that hasn't had a movie in 10 years, couldn't support a TV series and can't seem to keep a comic series going.

To be fair, Wesley Snipes was locked up.

Snipes was locked up LONG after the movies died.

Nice try.

There was also a TV series that tanked as well.

ReiGun

You think a dude who talks to birds is going to become more relevant than a vampire hunter?

I'll take that bet right now.

Not even Blade can compete with the Falcon's greatest power: clinging desperately to better superheroes. He's the kind of dude who lives off the success of his famous musician friend.

Long as Cap is successful, the Falcon gon eat.

Why would Falcon be better known than War Machine?

Also, Storm is going to be number 1 no matter what.

I'm working on the assumption the Falcon will be in Avengers 2. His status as a shield agent means he'll be easier to integrate than Rhodey, whose likely to be off doing his own thing.

bryanee

kKa2Ga7l

I'm just talking about the live action Batman stuff they're doing right now, especially in regards to a JL film.

I'm all for a Batman Beyond movie with Terry, I have a ridiculous amount of love for the Batman Beyond universe.

Not even Blade can compete with the Falcon's greatest power: clinging desperately to better superheroes. He's the kind of dude who lives off the success of his famous musician friend.

Long as Cap is successful, the Falcon gon eat.

I'm working on the assumption the Falcon will be in Avengers 2. His status as a shield agent means he'll be easier to integrate than Rhodey, whose likely to be off doing his own thing.

i laughed, but it's true. Reading though back issues of avengers, his whole thing was literally "I don't even know why I'm even here!"

Well one character will be in a large grossing super hero movie coming off the tails of one of the largest movies f all time...

The other is a dead franchise that hasn't had a movie in 10 years, couldn't support a TV series and can't seem to keep a comic series going.

The falcon has a snowball's chance in hell of carrying his own movie. The dude is and has always been Z-list.

The blade franchise may be "Dead", but Blade is unquestionably the more valuable character. Blade 1 grossed $131 Million before superhero movies were revived, Blade II did $155 million, and Blade III did about $128 million. Marvel isn't doing that with Falcon, and they know it. You'll see a Blade reboot before you see Falcon anything. Guaranteed.

Dai101

Banned
It's all moot since Spider-Man will never be in these movies.

Take it away, Tobey!

2003839490.gif

Damn... i miss Tobey Parker so much :(

Mexican Captain America?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z-XddpdTy_E#t=42s

Captain America The First Avenger featured a racially integrated US military.

To be fair, they where POW's that Caps rescued, from different nationalities and race. Also they were chosen by the Cap himself.

What do you guys think are some of the more likely big cameos for the SHIELD show? Hiddleston probably wouldn't be hard to swing and he'd draw in all the ladies. RDJ is probably too big but maybe he might do it for fun? Would be neat to see Evans.

WEEKLY SHIRTLESS SCENE WITH EVANS/HIDDLESTON/HEMSWORT!! The ratings will go Off the charts!!!

inky

LOL Falcon, I forgot about him.

Black Panther needs to make it in asap. A genius who is also a fucking king and pretty much better at everything you do too. He is probably the, hmm, best-endowed superhero as well, just to top it off :p

LOL Falcon, I forgot about him.

Black Panther needs to make it in asap. A genius who is also a fucking king and pretty much better at everything you do too. He is probably the, hmm, best-endowed superhero as well, just to top it off :p

the only issue there is writing him in such a way that he doesn't come off as the Marvel Batman.

kswiston

the only issue there is writing him in such a way that he doesn't come off as the Marvel Batman.

They would also have to re-work the Wakanda imagery. Claiming that Wakanda is one of the technical leaders of the world while its populace runs around in loincloths while carrying spears (even if they are hi-tech spears) is not going to fly in a movie.

They would also have to re-work the Wakanda imagery. Claiming that Wakanda is one of the technical leaders of the world while its populace runs around in loincloths while carrying spears (even if they are hi-tech spears) is not going to fly in a movie.

goes without saying. If we see Wakanda, it will probably be the Marvel version of Zmunda.

wait a minute

marvel is sitting on a goldmine. Shoot "black panther" as "coming to america" in the marvel universe and you make a mint.

ReiGun

Panther as Marvel Batman is a fairly recent thing. Basing the movie on "Panther's Rage," for example, would avoid the Batman comparisons, I think.

And to be frank, his powers are awful. "bird powers" are about as marketable as aquaman.

Less so, actually. Aquaman has Atlantis, and DC is willing to give him water powers in adaptations. Falcon is literally just bird powers.

I still think that making Falcon actually a telepathic US soldier who talks to birds is a stretch for a espionage thriller film. The tone is all wrong. Just put him in a flying suit and leave it at that, why does he have to talk with birds? It's a terrible power.

I still think that making Falcon actually a telepathic US soldier who talks to birds is a stretch for a espionage thriller film. The tone is all wrong. Just put him in a flying suit and leave it at that, why does he have to talk with birds? It's a terrible power.

how did I not know he was literally bird telepathic? He really IS the bird version of aquaman.

Marvel, leave this dude off the screen. he'll set black superheroes back 20 years.

inky

I think the more mystical origin story and exotic setting will take care of that. They can do so much more with his fighting style than how Batman is depicted too, and just use the advance tech part of his story as a background/contrast. I don't think it will be a problem, but they really need a good actor, who is able to look and act regally, and be physically imposing.

how did I not know he was literally bird telepathic? He really IS the bird version of aquaman.

Marvel, leave this dude off the screen. he'll set black superheroes back 20 years.

It's too late, they're already filming.

And he's still a telepathic bird talker in the movie.

I'm playing the Falcon. He's this guy in Harlem who moved to California and became a drug dealer. His plane crashed, and he was genetically altered, and he can fly, has telepathic powers. He's the first African-American superhero. It makes me feel all the work I've done has been paying off. I have a son, nephews and nieces, and I love the idea that they can dress up as the Falcon on Halloween. They now have someone they can idolize. That's a huge honor for me.

I think the more mystical origin story and exotic setting will take care of that. They can do so much more with his fighting style than how Batman is depicted too, and just use the advance tech part of his story as a background/contrast. I don't think it will be a problem, but they really need a good actor, who is able to look and act regally, and be physically imposing.

There can be only one

Michael-Jai-White-1fbaa.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You're not being fair to Aquaman. Brah can summon sharks, giant squids, whales, etc. Falcon gonna come at you with dirty New York pigeons and shit.

yes, I'm aware aquaman is a much better character with some depth, but to joe average all they know is the portrayal from superfriends in the 1970s. He's a guy who swims and talks to fish and is terrible. Falcon is going to be the guy who flies and talks to birds, and the comparison WILL come up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just realized the Falcon is about to become the most famous black superhero.

I'm so sad right now, y'all. :(
War Machine doesn't count?

Still sad though. Falcon is such a stupid character, god. Don't know why Marvel even still messes with him. I wish they'd take War Machine a bit further but I don't think Howard could've and I definitely don't think Don Cheadle can't. It's not that Cheadle wouldn't make a good War Machine, it's that he really doesn't make a good Rhodes.

Nesotenso

Then what is he going to use his telepathic bird talking powers for? Because they already confirmed he has those.

That is Mackie talking about the Falcon. Marvel is not so dumb to put bird talking powers in the movie. Maybe mention Redwing as a pet. but no, you won't see birds swooping down on bad guys. Falcon will just have a flight suit

ReiGun

I just don't think Marvel is going to push War Machine over Falcon. Falcon, for all his lameness, does add a new look and feel to the team, whereas WM is just another Iron Man suit. Plus, from a story standpoint, Falcon is easier to integrate into the Avengers.

Storm will remain top of the black hero heap, but Falcon is about to become the first black Avenger for all intents and purposes.

yes, I'm aware aquaman is a much better character with some depth, but to joe average all they know is the portrayal from superfriends in the 1970s. He's a guy who swims and talks to fish and is terrible. Falcon is going to be the guy who flies and talks to birds, and the comparison WILL come up.
I know. I'm just joking. :p

And if the Falcon doesn't talk to birds, then what's the point? There's nothing else special about him. Might as well just mass produce the flight suit and hand them to any shield slub.

I just don't think Marvel is going to push War Machine over Falcon. Falcon, for all his lameness, does add a new look and feel to the team, whereas WM is just another Iron Man suit. Plus, from a story standpoint, Falcon is easier to integrate into the Avengers.

Storm will remain top of the black hero heap, but Falcon is about to become the first black Avenger for all intents and purposes.

I know. I'm just joking. :p

And if the Falcon doesn't talk to birds, then what's the point? There's nothing else special about him. Might as well just mass produce the flight suit and hand them to any shield slub.

Talking to birds isn't special either! It's worse than no powers at all! If I woke up being able to talk to pigeons, I wouldn't tell anyone, ever. That's how bad it is.

But to your point, hawkeye is just a guy with arrows, and black widow is just a spy with a nice rack. I'm sure they could do something with a guy in a flight suit (though with iron man on the team, it feels really redundant.)

J10

Banned
He uses birds for gathering and relaying information. He can see through their eyes, and in later appearances this power is broader in scope so he can literally see things almost anywhere at any time. It actually can make him a useful spy. How they depict that on screen in an interesting way so as not to be laughable is the key.

For some characters race matters, like captain america, Luke Cage, black panther and Iron Fist. For Spider-Man it does not.

How the hell does race matter for Captain America? Cism all over in this bitch. America is the biggest melting pot in the world.

WWII? It's a comic book movie, with little regard for historical accuracy. Simply disregard color, since the movie doesn't bother much with the rest.

ReiGun

But to your point, hawkeye is just a guy with arrows, and black widow is just a spy with a nice rack. I'm sure they could do something with a guy in a flight suit (though with iron man on the team, it feels really redundant.)

I suppose so. But even then, like you said, IM makes his flight redundant. And Hawkeye and Widow make his normalcy redundant. Brah needs his birds to stand out.

America is more a mixing bowl than a melting pot.

I took the expression from somewhere else so sure. All I'm trying to say is that it definitely doesn't matter.

And yes Superman and Spiderman could be Asian americans, or african americans or whatever.

Now the question is, do fans want that? Do they have a good reason to not want to? Sure, the characters are X in the comics so basically fans want characters to be X in the movies, and that makes sense. At least the major ones.

How the hell does race matter for Captain America? Cism all over in this bitch. America is the biggest melting pot in the world.

WWII? It's a comic book movie, with little regard for historical accuracy. Simply disregard color, since the movie doesn't bother much with the rest.

To address this in a serious manner, Captain America functioned as allied/US propaganda during world war II.

American minorities are VERY aware of the role they were relegated to during that particular period of american history, and ignoring it outright or pretending it didn't happen (as making captain america black would do) is pretty much "whitewashing" of historical events, and extremely offensive.

NO ONE would be happy with a black captain america, and it's best to leave it alone.

To address this in a serious manner, Captain America functioned as allied/US propaganda during world war II.

American minorities are VERY aware of the role they were relegated to during that particular period of american history, and ignoring it outright (as making captain america black would do) is pretty much "whitewashing" of historical events, and extremely offensive.

NO ONE would be happy with a black captain america, and it's best to leave it alone.

You overestimate how many people give two cents about Captain America's role in WWII. Besides, it's clearly an "alternate" version of history.

J10

Banned
There are cases where a character's native culture and ethnicity is essential to the story being told, because the story they're a part of gets told through a cultural lens. Black Captain America's world outlook in 1940 would likely be very different than White Captain America's. That's not to say it can't be done though.

You overestimate how many people give two cents about Captain America's role in WWII. Besides, it's clearly an "alternate" version of history.

Captain america's role in WWII is the entire point of the character. And marvel history is "alternate", but marvel has gone out of its way to acknowledge race and racial attitudes in it's stories since the 1960s and NOT pretend the marvel universe was immune to it.

You can look at the older black panther stories, the Isaiah Bradley/Captain america stories of a decade or so back, or the Blue Marvel.

Marvel didn't attempt to pretend racism didn't happen, because marvel isn't stupid, and fans would be upset. Changing Cap's ethinicity would be on par with pretending uncomfortable events in american history just didn't happen, and that's a VERY touchy road to go down.

They should do a plot in the movie with Cap finding out about Isaiah Bradley.

They won't, of course. But they should.

yeah, that's a good story but tough to handle within the context of a superhero film.

That is Mackie talking about the Falcon. Marvel is not so dumb to put bird talking powers in the movie. Maybe mention Redwing as a pet. but no, you won't see birds swooping down on bad guys. Falcon will just have a flight suit

Hope springs eternal lmao.

He uses birds for gathering and relaying information. He can see through their eyes, and in later appearances this power is broader in scope so he can literally see things almost anywhere at any time. It actually can make him a useful spy. How they depict that on screen in an interesting way so as not to be laughable is the key.

I recall hearing a rumor that he gets his powers from the Tesseract in the film which might work as an origin, but actually depicting those powers is gonna be a real challenge.

If you take out Captain America's WWII background, he's no Captain America.

His main villains, his partners, his entire history is based around it.

I'm talking about about how much people care about the movie's representation of WWII. Genetic enhanced super soldiers, alien technology..I think a black Captain America could be handled with ease.

Now that they went with the origin they did though, sure. It would be weird now, they would obviously have to reboot it.

Just like they would have to reboot any other super hero should they re cast it the same way.

I'm talking about about how much people care about the movie's representation of WWII. Genetic enhanced super soldiers, alien technology..I think a black Captain America could be handled with ease.

Now that they went with the origin they did though, sure. It would be weird now, they would obviously have to reboot it.

Just like they would have to reboot any other super hero should they re cast it the same way.

you seem to be a bit thick. The entire point of captain america is that he's a man out of step with modern times, but still embodies the american "ideal" that was pushed in the 1940s that people still aspire to.

A black captain america could never have happened in the 1940s, because 1940s america was simply too racist. Black men were killed for talking to white people the wrong way. They were experimented on because they had no rights and were considered sub human. It's a painful reality, but it was reality and minorities are VERY aware of this. An asian captain america would be even worse, because the US was throwing asians into concentration camps at this time.

you cannot "reboot" the entirety of american history to pretend racism wasn't a thing because a black captain america would be cool to have. Laserbeams and genetically enhanced supermen? go nuts, it's sci-fi. whitewashing uncomfortable truths? That's a completely different ball of wax and no one is happy when this happens. Making captain america black is about as "easy" as casting a black guy to play lincoln during the civil war.

J10

Banned

Well it's always hilarious in general when people get all up in arms about race changing in fiction.

Man in a goblin mask flying around on a pointy snowboard throwing pumpkin-shaped bombs? Seems legit.

Black/latino Spider-Man? HOW DARE YOU?!

Well it's always hilarious in general when people get all up in arms about race changing in fiction.

Man in a goblin mask flying around on a pointy snowboard throwing pumpkin-shaped bombs? Seems legit.

I think you're missing the point. Miles Morales as Spider-Man played by a latino might inspire some (wrong) antipathy but not nearly as much as Peter Parker played by a latino. I would object to the latter but not the former.

People get up in arms about any change towards the character they're adapting because then it's not the same character :\ Unless it's a change very clearly for the better (like turning Tony Stark into Robert Downey Jr) people are going to complain. And of course they're going to complain.

I'll be the first one to admit Marvel needs some variety in their main characteres. How many white blonde 30 something main heroes do they have now? Human Torch, Ant Man, Captain America, Iron Fist and Hawkeye really need to be twins?

But changing a character "just cuz!" is not a good idea, and it doesn't have anything to do with race. People get mad when Thor doesn't wear his helmet or Hawkeye doesn't wear purple.

I think you're missing the point. Miles Morales as Spider-Man played by a latino might inspire some (wrong) antipathy but not nearly as much as Peter Parker played by a latino. I would object to the latter but not the former.

Parker's race isn't really a defining part of the character though, and he's been repeatedly updated so that his teenage years took place during the 60s, then 70s, 80s, and now 90s. Eventually a parker or possibly mary jane/gwen/harry of a different ethnicity will be inevitable, I think.

Cap is unique in that he's "fixed" in a certain time period.

you seem to be a bit thick. The entire point of captain america is that he's a man out of step with modern times, but still embodies the american "ideal" that was pushed in the 1940s that people still aspire to.

A black captain america could never have happened in the 1940s, because 1940s america was simply too racist. Black men were killed for talking to white people the wrong way. They were experimented on because they had no rights and were considered sub human. It's a painful reality, but it was reality and minorities are VERY aware of this. An asian captain america would be even worse, because the US was throwing asians into concentration camps at this time.

you cannot "reboot" the entirety of american history to pretend racism wasn't a thing because a black captain america would be cool to have. Laserbeams and genetically enhanced supermen? go nuts, it's sci-fi. whitewashing uncomfortable truths? That's a completely different ball of wax and no one is happy when this happens.

Listen here, if you are that worried about historical accuracy in a goddamned super hero movie that doesn't bother to....(Man out of his time refers to ideals, I don't see how race even came into question regarding those? He wasn't surprised Nick Fury was black)

Then you could always address that head on, and make the guy a mask that doesn't show he's black, and boom now all of a sudden you got something interesting.

You are the one being thick as hell, these guys can basically come up with everything that shits on historical accuracy, and you keep hanging on the issue of race. Well if they can come up with aliens and shit, then I'm sure they can come up with something that explains Captain America being black but nobody knowing then aside from a few. That keeps the character perfectly inline with "man out of place".

Top Bottom