• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Dai101

Banned
I doubt Sony would have given up Ghost Rider early for nothing, though. If they're given a certain window of time to make another movie, they might as well wait it out until the last possible minute. Alternatively, they could have mutually agreed with Marvel/Disney to revert the rights for a price, although I can't see Marvel/Disney willing to pay much for that.

Maybe they just arrange something to do with Spidey (i wish, hehe) something like "sony keeps spidey as long as Disney can use him or his characters in cameos or something, and for good measure here's a ghost Rider, we don't want him anymore"

I want this movie noooooooow.

I hope they make it as colorful as the other concept art and not gritty dark.

If something i've really liked about the MCU is that they still look like comic books, colorful and cheesy.

If something i've really liked about the MCU is that they still look like comic books, colorful and cheesy.

Don't get me wrong I love what Nolan did with Batman and I'm psyched for Man of Steel, but those are movies I'd pair with a fine wine whereas for GotG I want to go in tripping shrooms.

Maybe they just arrange something to do with Spidey (i wish, hehe) something like "sony keeps spidey as long as Disney can use him or his characters in cameos or something, and for good measure here's a ghost Rider, we don't want him anymore"

But Sony can already keep Spidey as long as they want, so long as they keep making movies...

The truth is that it will be exceedingly difficult for Marvel/Disney to ever get Spidey or the X-Men back, at least in the foreseeable future. Fantastic Four, on the other hand, I could see reverting.

But Sony can already keep Spidey as long as they want, so long as they keep making movies...

The truth is that it will be exceedingly difficult for Marvel/Disney to ever get Spidey or the X-Men back, at least in the foreseeable future. Fantastic Four, on the other hand, I could see reverting.

I think Fantastic Four will bomb and return to Marvel and since Disney is on good terms with Sony I could see a partnership being made where Sony agrees to let Spider-Man have a small role in a few of their movies.

X-Men is the hard one to get back it would take one of these scenarios for Disney to get it:

-Fox goes bankrupt or runs into a difficult financial situation where it seems attractive to sell the rights back to Disney (unlikely)

-Several X-men movies in a row bomb, the franchise lays dormant as moviegoers move away from comic films to the next big thing eventually the X-men rights go back to Disney in a similar fashion to Daredevil. (most likely)

-Disney pays a colossal sum of money to get the characters back (less likely)

-Several X-men movies in a row bomb, the franchise lays dormant as moviegoers move away from comic films to the next big thing eventually the X-men rights go back to Disney in a similar fashion to Daredevil. (most likely)

I agree, this is the most likely scenario for Marvel to regain the rights to X-Men. But what I'm less clear on is what Fox would have to do to let the franchise sit dormant? Could they run a new Wolverine movie out there every few years that renews the rights on the entire X-Men franchise? If so, that makes it much easier for Fox to retain the rights. Whenever Hugh Jackman is done with the franchise, I'm quite sure Fox will be willing to reboot Wolverine with a new actor.

Gartooth

I'll wait to see Iron Man 3 to decide whether or not going with Cheadle was overall a good idea given how Iron Man 2 was poorly executed in a lot of ways, but Ruffalo taking over for Hulk was a brilliant idea and I hope he sticks with that role for a while.

In terms of recasting, the only character I would like to see that happen to is Hawkeye, and maybe this isn't entirely Renner's fault, but when you have Hawkeye as the least charismatic member of the Avengers, then you know something is wrong.

I'll wait to see Iron Man 3 to decide whether or not going with Cheadle was overall a good idea given how Iron Man 2 was poorly executed in a lot of ways, but Ruffalo taking over for Hulk was a brilliant idea and I hope he sticks with that role for a while.

In terms of recasting, the only character I would like to see that happen to is Hawkeye, and maybe this isn't entirely Renner's fault, but when you have Hawkeye as the least charismatic member of the Avengers, then you know something is wrong.

Yeah...

If you didn't like him in IM2...

Tom_Cody

New concept art from EW of Peter Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy:

4JQUvG8.jpg
Looks like young Peter Quill's first interaction with extraterrestrials. This is a similar image from the recent Guardians of the Galaxy .1:

UBQRCh5.jpg

johnsmith

remember me

It's completely Renner's fault. The guy has absolutely 0 charisma in every single thing he has been in.

Blader

He's playing Ultimate Hawkeye, not "bro bro bro" Hawkeye.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is the FF movie that someone made, just so that they would get to keep the license, right?

One boss from FOX told that they are 100% willing to create crappy direct-to-DVD Fantastic Four film for $1000 just to make sure that license dont go back to Marvel.

johnsmith

remember me
One boss from FOX told that they are 100% willing to create crappy direct-to-DVD Fantastic Four film for $1000 just to make sure that license dont go back to Marvel.

Disney and Marvel should take them to court if they try to pull that shit again.

Disney and Marvel should take them to court if they try to pull that shit again.

It really wouldn't surprise me if they did (depending on how open the contract is for interpretation). Back when it was just Marvel fighting the battle, it probably wasn't worth the fight. Now that Disney would gain the property back, I'm sure they'd fight tooth and nail for it.

On what grounds? That's the contract Marvel stupidly signed.

It all depends on the specific language of the contract. It's possible that a $1000 direct-to-DVD Fantastic Four "movie" wouldn't be perceived as acting in good faith.

But I agree, allowing perpetual renewal of the licensing was pretty dumb.

Blader

That guy doesn't work at Fox anymore though.

Also, that probably wouldn't happen anyway, since they allowed Daredevil to go back when they could just as easily have put out a quick piece of shit DTV movie.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
There is a good faith cost/loss association with puling that bullshit tho. At one time when people didn't really know these comics or what they could be on the screen no one cared. Now that's it huge business Marvel and Disney could easily make the argument that they do not intend to fully utilize the licensed property and are therefore ignoring the intention and spirit of the original contract... or some such bullshit.

I just want wolverine and spiderman to not be fucking stupid and hang out. Apparently too much ask.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That guy doesn't work at Fox anymore though.

Also, that probably wouldn't happen anyway, since they allowed Daredevil to go back when they could just as easily have put out a quick piece of shit DTV movie.

Yeah that one puzzled me. They could have easily gone the DTV route, but maybe they thought it would kill the brand if they did.

Dai101

Banned
Unless the Director's Cut gets rid of the stupid park scene and Colin Farrell I find it hard to believe.

OK, the park scene is still there, but most of the subplot of Matt+Elektra is not. Also COME ON!! Farrell was the best part of that mess

"YA GAT ME DRINKING HAND!! AND ME DRINKING HAND!!"

inky

OK, the park scene is still there, but most of the subplot of Matt+Elektra is not. Also COME ON!! Farrell was the best part of that mess

"YA GAT ME DRINKING HAND!! AND ME DRINKING HAND!!"

Well, I just remembered wanting to punch his face all the time, but that movie is like 10 years old now and I've watched it... maybe twice, so I probably "didn't get it" back then. I know there's something else there I found super dumb, but right now I can't remember, so I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt.

Loxley

So I take it these contracts never expire?

Fuck.

A lot of these rights contracts seem to operate under the agreement that as long as whomever the holds the rights to the film property keeps making movies that make money and don't damage the brand (in which case I think the creator or license distributor could sue for the rights back if they wanted) - then yep, they can hold onto the characters for as long as they want.

Remember, when Marvel signed all these deals with the likes of Sony and Fox, they were recovering from near-bankruptcy and gave the film rights out to all of their top-tier characters (Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic Four, etc) in what you could probably consider an act of desperation on their part. They didn't put any sort of "we get the rights back no matter what in ten years"-clause into the contracts because, well, why would Marvel's top brass circa-1997 have ever considered the idea that one day Marvel would open their own film studio? Of course they'd sell the film rights to Spider-man off, what were Marvel going to ever do with it except sit on it? No one at the time could have possibly predicted the super-hero film boom on the horizon.

I think that's something a lot of people forget; feel free to get annoyed or angry with Marvel that that they have all of these stupid contracts with other studios involving their biggest characters, but it was those deals that likely helped a great deal in keeping Marvel from declaring bankruptcy and going the way of Cross-gen comics.

big giant

Banned
ooh a darker, gritty rated R Marvel universe...?
And now Ghost Rider's back, too?!

C'mon Marvel, Knights Cinematic Universe: Blade, Daredevil, Punisher and Ghost Rider. The fact that they're not rushing on any of these properties makes me hopeful!

The Phase One pattern suggests you'd start with the most grounded character (Punisher) and build up to the supernatural from there, but given that all of these have already been movies and only one was successful, marketing says you'd have to start with Blade (Idris Elba).

Just need an Agent Coulson to start weaving threads. Oh hi, Ben Urich.

bro1

Banned
A lot of these rights contracts seem to operate under the agreement that as long as whomever the holds the rights to the film property keeps making movies that make money and don't damage the brand (in which case I think the creator or license distributor could sue for the rights back if they wanted) - then yep, they can hold onto the characters for as long as they want.

Remember, when Marvel signed all these deals with the likes of Sony and Fox, they were recovering from near-bankruptcy and gave the film rights out to all of their top-tier characters (Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic Four, etc) in what you could probably consider an act of desperation on their part. They didn't put any sort of "we get the rights back no matter what in ten years"-clause into the contracts because, well, why would Marvel's top brass circa-1997 have ever considered the idea that one day Marvel would open their own film studio? Of course they'd sell the film rights to Spider-man off, what were Marvel going to ever do with it except sit on it? No one at the time could have possibly predicted the super-hero film boom on the horizon.

I think that's something a lot of people forget; feel free to get annoyed or angry with Marvel that that they have all of these stupid contracts with other studios involving their biggest characters, but it was those deals that likely helped a great deal in keeping Marvel from declaring bankruptcy and going the way of Cross-gen comics.

There is of course the option for Disney to write a check and buy the characters back as well as the very good chance of Sony Studios shutting down or selling the characters back to stay afloat.

Top Bottom