• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Kevin Feige had some interesting thoughts on how Iron Man 3 connects with Avengers 2:

http://collider.com/the-avengers-2-news-title-kevin-feige/

“Well Joss has said it on the record in the past, it’s not about going bigger. It’s not about, ‘And this time there will be five more explosions in this section!’ I mean certainly you want to up the ante, you want to exceed people’s expectations, but I think there are various ways of doing that and Iron Man 3 is a very, very good test for us of doing exactly that. The first movie we make after The Avengers has our hero spending more time out of the suit than any of the other movies; that seems potentially counterintuitive to some people, but that was exactly why we did it. We didn’t want to say, ‘Oh now it has to be bigger and he fights 100 people in armored suits.’ Yeah the action sequences are big, there’s more action in Iron Man 3 than in the other two movies, but at the same time it’s a much deeper and a more exploratory character journey on the heels of our biggest spectacle with The Avengers.”

I'm calling it now: the rest of the MCU Phase 2 films will be self contained stories that will flesh out the characters even more (Cap and how he will adjust to the modern world, Thor divided in his loyalty to Asgard and Earth) Guardians of the Galaxy will be the exception, as they will probably deal with Thanos which will lead directly to Avengers 2.

Or...

(IM3 spoilers)
They've established A.I.M. in Iron Man 3. Maybe they'll use them as a backer of a group like the Masters of Evil.

IM3 might be my favourite Marvel film. Definitely in IM1/SM2 territory for me.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Need to see it again.

Good to see that Feige has his head on about how to approach it IMO. Most people I've talked to who don't like it seem to just want more suit stuff. I understand why that's disappointing for them, but I'm more interested in seeing Tony than IM -- there was plenty of good action regardless.

Insert something about it's the man, not the machine, etc.

Wicked movie.

Also, I'm thinking they leave Thanos off the table till 3. How do you go bigger than him other than maybe a really ridiculous Ultron?

There also seems to be some disappointment that the Mandarin in the movie wasn't exactly like the Mandarin in the comics, which I guess I can understand. I wasn't too attached to the comic character though, so I loved how IM3 handled its Mandarin.

This too -- which is fine. I don't really care for the Mandarin or any of Iron Man's rogue gallery -- they're not especially great to me. It also helps that I really dug the way that they used him in the movie, so there's nothing lost there to me.

exYle

There also seems to be some disappointment that the Mandarin in the movie wasn't exactly like the Mandarin in the comics, which I guess I can understand. I wasn't too attached to the comic character though, so I loved how IM3 handled its Mandarin.

So, is Marvel in the mentality of

"Let's make as many of our superhero movies as possible before the public becomes tired of them?"

Seems like they have a lot on their plate.

:/

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I hope one day Namor gets a chance to star in his own movie or at least make a cameo in Avengers or the potential Defenders (Hulk's already established, Doctor Strange should be in a few years) movie.

Outside of Namor, I'm hoping Black Panther is fully realized for his own film and Adam Warlock and Nova to one day appear in the galactic side of things. My other wants would be to see Vision and Jocasta make their debut in some fashion in the Ant-Man films.

For the television side of things, Marvel should package Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil for a show on ABC for the New York side of things, and then The Runaways on ABC Family for the Los Angeles side of Marvel world with Clock & Dagger making appearances a few times a season.

Of the rumors of phase 3 or the end of phase 2, I'm most interested in if Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will make it into Avengers 2 and if the Inhumans style movie that is supposedly similar to Game of Thrones comes to fruition.

I sincerely hope Fantastic Four rights make their way back to Marvel in the next 6-8 years or so. While I do enjoy Spider-Man and X-Men, I do want Doctor Doom represented properly on film.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I hope one day Namor gets a chance to star in his own movie or at least make a cameo in Avengers or the potential Defenders (Hulk's already established, Doctor Strange should be in a few years) movie.

Outside of Namor, I'm hoping Black Panther is fully realized for his own film and Adam Warlock and Nova to one day appear in the galactic side of things. My other wants would be to see Vision and Jocasta make their debut in some fashion in the Ant-Man films.

For the television side of things, Marvel should package Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil for a show on ABC for the New York side of things, and then The Runaways on ABC Family for the Los Angeles side of Marvel world with Clock & Dagger making appearances a few times a season.

Of the rumors of phase 3 or the end of phase 2, I'm most interested in if Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will make it into Avengers 2 and if the Inhumans style movie that is supposedly similar to Game of Thrones comes to fruition.

I sincerely hope Fantastic Four rights make their way back to Marvel in the next 6-8 years or so. While I do enjoy Spider-Man and X-Men, I do want Doctor Doom represented properly on film.

Speaking of TV I hope Agents of Shield works out since I would absolutely love the idea of an interconnected Movie/TV Marvel universe teeming with superheroes and villains alike.

remnant

Banned
So, is Marvel in the mentality of

"Let's make as many of our superhero movies as possible before the public becomes tired of them?"

Seems like they have a lot on their plate.

:/

They are going to release two a year. On average there are less superhero movies than say animated films...and they make bank every year. The public will not tire of this as long as the films are good.

and so far the films have been good.

Dai101

Banned
Speaking of TV I hope Agents of Shield works out since I would absolutely love the idea of an interconnected Movie/TV Marvel universe teeming with superheroes and villains alike.

And if it works maybe there's a chance for other heroes to have their own separated gig, like i've said many times, Daredevil and The Punisher (TV-MA)

Tom_Cody

Namor should be the villain in one of the FF reboot sequels.

Caspel

I agree. I will be watching so long as it is at least average. I want it to work so Heroes for Hire / Daredevil / Runaways / Punisher / more Marvel characters get time to shine.

The question was posed if not for Thanos, then who should the Avengers combat, well here's a short list that could work:

1. Ultron is the most obvious
2. Masters of Evil (Enchantress, Executioner, Baron Heinreich Zemo, Wonder Man, Radioactive Man & Wrecking Crew)
3. Kree & the Starforce (Ronan, Korath, Captain Atlas, etc.)
4. Surtur (not a big fan, though)
5. MODOK
AIM was used in Iron Man 3, so there's potential. But he's not a physical threat to Avengers
6. Sentry/Void (I don't this is ever happening since Sentry was not liked by comic fans)
7. Buy back Fantastic Four rights for Galactus, Doctor Doom, Skrulls, Super-Skrull.
8. Buy back Ghost Rider rights for Mephisto.
9. Red Hulk (I'm not a fan of this option)
10. Kang the Conqueror (I'm not a fan of time-traveling villains)
11. Annihilus

Nelo Ice

Banned
And if it works maybe there's a chance for other heroes to have their own separated gig, like i've said many times, Daredevil and The Punisher (TV-MA)

Yeah that would be awesome. And they can keep em connected to the MCU by just having them show up in a newspaper/tv report in one of the movies or Shield just so we know that they are in the same Universe and a cameo/reference like that would make me so happy. But damn Marvel could have an even bigger juggernaut on their hands since it would be completely awesome if they could just tie it all together like how DC did the DCAU except this would be on a much larger scale.

I agree. I will be watching so long as it is at least average. I want it to work so Heroes for Hire / Daredevil / Runaways / Punisher / more Marvel characters get time to shine.

The question was posed if not for Thanos, then who should the Avengers combat, well here's a short list that could work:

1. Ultron is the most obvious
2. Masters of Evil (Enchantress, Executioner, Baron Heinreich Zemo, Wonder Man, Radioactive Man & Wrecking Crew)
3. Kree & the Starforce (Ronan, Korath, Captain Atlas, etc.)
4. Surtur (not a big fan, though)
5. MODOK
AIM was used in Iron Man 3, so there's potential. But he's not a physical threat to Avengers
6. Sentry/Void (I don't this is ever happening since Sentry was not liked by comic fans)
7. Buy back Fantastic Four rights for Galactus, Doctor Doom, Skrulls, Super-Skrull.
8. Buy back Ghost Rider rights for Mephisto.
9. Red Hulk (I'm not a fan of this option)
10. Kang the Conqueror (I'm not a fan of time-traveling villains)
11. Annihilus

My only experience with Marvel for the most part is the cartoons like EMH and of course the movies but yeah curious to see how they will approach villians since it looks like Thanos is the biggest bad of them all. Also want to see if they plan on keeping the window open for Spidey/F4/XMen to return since plenty of storylines involve them.

My only experience with Marvel for the most part is the cartoons like EMH and of course the movies but yeah curious to see how they will approach villians since it looks like Thanos is the biggest bad of them all. Also want to see if they plan on keeping the window open for Spidey/F4/XMen to return since plenty of storylines involve them.

Unfortunately I'm not sure they really need to plan for that in the near future... Spidey's not really a problem, and there's not much they couldn't do without him (Spider Island? LOL), but X-Men would open up loads of new plotlines they can and should pursue, should the rights ever return.... though I mean, that's virtual reality and 4D amounts of time away.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Unfortunately I'm not sure they really need to plan for that in the near future... Spidey's not really a problem, and there's not much they couldn't do without him (Spider Island? LOL), but X-Men would open up loads of new plotlines they can and should pursue, should the rights ever return.... though I mean, that's virtual reality and 4D amounts of time away.

Ahh well that sounds better than. Was kinda worried not having their top guys would hurt the stories or they'd have to change it up enough that it would close the door on their return on the off chance they ever get them back.

They should totally do Spider-Island once they get the rights back.
black_panther_524_cover_low.jpg

Who doesn't want that?

Ahh well that sounds better than. Was kinda worried not having their top guys would hurt the stories or they'd have to change it up enough that it would close the door on their return on the off chance they ever get them back.

Hah no, if they're ever lucky to get Spiderman/X-Men back, they will find some way to make it work, trust me. "Wolverine, Iron Man, and Spiderman in the same film" doesn't take that much to make it work anyway really.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver confirmed as being in the script for Avengers 2 http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05...t-does-feature-quicksilver-and-scarlet-witch/

LTTP with this, but how will the MCU handle two legitimately super powered beings? There are no mutants in the MCU, the existing characters all have a super-science origin except for Thor, but he's an alien/demigod so he gets a pass. Will they give Quicksilver a speed suit? I don't even know how they will begin to explain Wanda's powers in a way that fits in with the continuity.

LTTP with this, but how will the MCU handle two legitimately super powered beings? There are no mutants in the MCU, the existing characters all have a super-science origin except for Thor, but he's an alien/demigod so he gets a pass. Will they give Quicksilver a speed suit? I don't even know how they will begin to explain Wanda's powers in a way that fits in with the continuity.

Magic. It's a new strand of the continuity and it begins with her. Doctor Strange is happening so it's getting introduced either way.

Caspel

Marvel/Disney should just throw money at Fox to shut them up, if they wanted to use the word mutant. If not, perhaps they could describe them as being "born with super powers" and that their powers became noticeable at puberty.

I don't see why they need to give him a speed-suit? Nick Fury makes reference to other "extraordinary individuals", they're not all going to be super soldiers and the like. I don't think they need an explanation other than "These people developed extraordinary powers". Don't even need the word mutant. People will hardly question it.

Doctor Strange has already been confirmed as one of the first movies of Phase 3, and Extremis in Iron Man 3 was ridiculous so I think we've reached the point where anything goes. Call it straight up magic.

inky

Doctor Strange has already been confirmed as one of the first movies of Phase 3, and Extremis in Iron Man 3 was ridiculous so I think we've reached the point where anything goes. Call it straight up magic.

Yep, the justification of that was so fucking flimsy that it doesn't matter what they come up with, everything goes now. Which sucked for IM3 imo, but might be freeing for them going forward.

Watched iron man 3 just now.... Absolutely horrible movie. It felt like a comedy for 5 year olds. Never have I seen such a horrible plot strung together with badly written unbelievable characters and awful dialog. Only good scene in the movie was when they attack his house. I guess
The freefall rescue was alright as well.
If this is all marvel can produce I completely outgrew superhero movies.

Watched iron man 3 just now.... Absolutely horrible movie. It felt like a comedy for 5 year olds. Never have I seen such a horrible plot strung together with badly written unbelievable characters and awful dialog. Only good scene in the movie was when they attack his house.
If this is all marvel can produce I completely outgrew superhero movies.

Goddamn, I can't wait for my turn to see this. Everything is so divisive, no middle ground.

Nudull

Banned
I won't be seeing IM3 until next saturday, but I'm pretty surprised at the generally polarizing opinions all over the internet. I still hope this turns out to be a good start for Phase 2, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ugh I was planning to see IM 3 on monday and now I have no idea what im in for. I was hoping for a good movie not a goofy one

Its a comedy. It really is, more so then even the first two films. Like, its written so that you laugh every thirty seconds basically throughout.

But its also really good. It will defy your expectations in about a dozen different ways before the credits roll.

Its a comedy. It really is, more so then even the first two films. Like, its written so that you laugh every thirty seconds basically throughout.

But its also really good. It will defy your expectations in about a dozen different ways before the credits roll.

Seeing the film this Tuesday. If it's like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Lethal Weapon 2 I'll be more than happy. So glad my mom introduced me to those films when I visited her last year.

Gartooth

I am conflicted about iron man 3's mandarin. I loved how the twist was done, but it isn't what I wanted.

Same here,
I thought it was done brilliantly from a storytelling point of view given how the film makes you think he is the big bad, but essentially the real villain made him up and used him as a target. On the other hand, I really really wished we would have gotten comics Mandarin who I thought would have made a better foe than Killian was. (granted they would have had to spend a lot of time explaining the character's backstory compared to Killian)

Caspel

Now that Iron Man 3 is done and over with, I'm ready for Thor and Captain America to come forth. Both of them have better villains and sidekicks, so the supporting cast will be much better. Iron Man's rogues gallery is pitiful, so it's not shocking that people have yet to be overwhelmed by Iron Monger, Mandarin, Whiplash, and Justin Hammer.

I'm excited to see Christopher Eccleston in the role of Malekith the Accursed and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Kurse. Perhaps in the inevitable Thor 3, we'll get Enchantress and the Executioner, along with Surtur or Hela. Hopefully the human world is limited in the sequel since that's the weakest part of the Thor mainline films thus far.

For Captain America, Anthony Mackie as Falcon is now an even better casting decision after seeing him with muscle in Pain & Gain. Of course, I look forward to the eventual reveal of Winter Soldier. What is even more interesting about this film is the addition of Bartoc the Leaper, Crossbones, and the hopeful transformation of Arnim Zola to his robotic body. Plus, Robert Redford has been cast in the film and I enjoy his work. Plus, Black Widow is now center stage, so this is her chance to get a good amount of screentime. Surprised Renner isn't in it -- he's shooting a movie with Christian Bale right now, so it's too bad he couldn't join what I would call is the SHIELD movie.

I'm looking forward to both Ant-Man and Guardians, but with them being further off and with less details, I'm primarily zoning in on Cap 2 and Thor 2 to fill out the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Iron Man 3 was sectioned off from crossovers and gave Tony Stark time to develop out of the suit, and I'm fine with that.

Caspel

Without shame I can gladly say I LOVED Iron Man 3.

Good, glad to have another join the brigade. Iron Man 3 worked as a solo film without Avengers and SHIELD influence. Captain America will make up for the lack of SHIELD involvement.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I loved Iron Man 3.

It's just a fantastic time to be an enormous nerd. I never would've thought, watching copied VHS copies of the 70s Spider-Man TV show that one day we'd be arguing over which of the 25 Marvel movies is the best and how they best tied into the all-encompassing Avengers movie.

The preview for Thor looked great. Looks like they're going to address Jane/Sif in a major way. Cannot wait!

ZeroGravity

I'm definitely in the camp that loved Iron Man 3. It was the one movie in a long time that I felt genuinely shocked at some of the twists it took - and not just with the twist, but four or five in total. I'm so glad I didn't have the movie spoiled for me beforehand, because it was such a great experience overall, and even the trailers didn't give too much away (which is pretty rare these days).

People always complain about there being too many superhero movies and getting tired of them, but here's one that sincerely tries to do something different, and I hope that, if not now, than someday it'll be fully appreciated for it. It really gives me hope that Marvel won't hold back with their other Phase 2 movies and can really do what they want to now that everything is established.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I was extremely disappointed with Iron Man 3 (and I'm one of the few who likes IM2 more than 1). Avengers and Cap are still my favorite Marvel films, followed VERY closely by X2, SM2 and First Class

I actually liked Iron Man 3 but I still think it stands a good chance of being the worst of Phase 2.

Guardians will be the best no doubt, but I'd give second to either the 70s thriller or the medival fantasy.

Top Bottom