• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Vega

Yeah. They'll probably cast young and with a more well known actor. Especially since Iron Fist, while awesome, is a C list character at best. They'll look for a young name to sell to the general audiences.

Dram

On the casting of Iron Fist do you think they'll cast a white actor or do you think they'll cast someone who's at least half Asian?

Vega

Danny Rand has always been Caucasian I believe. But I haven't read comics in 15 years so things could be different now i guess.

shira

On the casting of Iron Fist do you think they'll cast a white actor or do you think they'll cast someone who's at least half Asian?
Even the newer crop of martial artists actors are not experts, kinda died out after jet lee
I assume they would get someone famous like Rain or Jay Chou.

Are there even any half asian actors that are well known? Keanu?

Jimothy

Well, he already gave us the perfect Fantastic Four movie. I would be down with him doing Superman or Captain America.

Brad Bird already gave us the perfect Superman movie.

79338.png

Ummm... Clone Saga? *shrug*

I don't know what this is that you are talking about. There was no Clone Saga. Marvel certainly never tried to retcon away 20+ years of Spider-Man plot and then wuss out and abort halfway through. It must be some other comic you're talking about ...

Dram

Even the newer crop of martial artists actors are not experts, kinda died out after jet lee

Keanu too old I think to play this part.

Is he Asian in the comics?

No he's white.

Daniel Rand was born in New York City, the son of American businessman Wendell Rand, a wealthy entrepreneur who discovered the mystical city of K'un-L'un as a young boy. During his time in K'un L'un, Wendell saved the life of the city's ruler, Lord Tuan, and was adopted as Tuan's son. However, Wendell eventually left K'un L'un and became a wealthy entrepreneur in the United States. He married socialite Heather Duncan and had a child, Daniel. When Daniel was nine, Wendell organized an expedition to again seek out K'un L'un, taking his wife Heather, his business partner Harold Meachum, and Daniel. During the journey up the mountain, Daniel slipped off the path, his tie-rope taking his mother and father with him. Meachum, who also loved Heather, forced Wendell to plunge to his death but offered to rescue Heather and Daniel. She rejected his help, preferring to journey without him or die.

As explained in Marvel Premiere #15, Heather and Daniel come across a makeshift bridge that appears out of nowhere and are attacked by a pack of wolves. Heather throws herself on the wolves to save Daniel and is killed even as archers from K'un L'un attempt to save her. The archers take the grieving Daniel to see Yü-Ti, the hooded ruler of K'un L'un. When Daniel expresses his desire for vengeance, Yü-Ti apprentices him to Lei Kung, the Thunderer, who teaches him the martial arts.

Daniel proves to be the most gifted of Lei Kung's students. Rand conditions his fists by plunging them into buckets of sand, gravel, and rock to toughen them. At 19, Daniel is given the chance to attain the power of the Iron Fist by fighting and defeating the dragon known as Shou-Lao the Undying, which guarded the molten heart that had been torn from its body. During the battle, Daniel throws himself against the scar of Shou-Lao, which burns a dragon tattoo into his chest. Having killed Shou-Lao, he enters its cave and plunges his fists into a brazier containing the creature's molten heart, emerging with the power of the Iron Fist. It is later revealed that there have been many Iron Fists before Daniel, making him the modern member of a long lineage of Iron Fists.
I just thought they would want to avoid that trope where a character comes into contact with a difference culture, lives with them for awhile, masters their culture and then becomes their greatest warrior and protector. You know like what happened in Avatar, Dances With Wolves, etc.

Nesotenso

No he's white.

I just thought they would want to avoid that trope where a character comes into contact with a difference culture, lives with them for awhile, masters their culture and then becomes their greatest warrior and protector. You know like what happened in Avatar.

You could change the story a bit to avoid that. His father training him for Kun Lun. In the comics his father never faced Shou-Lao the Undying but the son succeeded where the father didn't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know what this is that you are talking about. There was no Clone Saga. Marvel certainly never tried to retcon away 20+ years of Spider-Man plot and then wuss out and abort halfway through. It must be some other comic you're talking about ...
Right, I must have been thinking of.... there must have been... hey look shiny objects

ReiGun

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Idris Elba
Michael Jai White
Djimon Hounsou
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Those are all the names I've seen as candidates to play Panther. Adewale is the only one I've heard about actually talking to Marvel about the role. Djimon and White are my personal picks. Though at this point, I just want the movie to get made so much, that I'll take just about any of them. lol

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Idris Elba
Michael Jai White
Djimon Hounsou
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Those are all the names I've seen as candidates to play Panther. Adewale is the only one I've heard about actually talking to Marvel about the role. Djimon and White are my personal picks. Though at this point, I just want the movie to get made so much, that I'll take just about any of them. lol

White would probably give us the best fight scenes, chiwetel is no slouch either plus he played a character that was kinda like tchalla at times in the movie serenety (sp)

Personally I'd take Adewale as the WWII-era BP/prior BP from whatever era he's featured in before he passes the mantle, Hounsou gets the big role. He has always been the perfect Black Panther to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For sure a white actor. Would be a mistake otherwise. I'm sure all the residents of K'un L'un will be multicultural too.

Vega

Idris Elba already plays Heimdall in the Thor movies.

I guarantee he won't be even considered for Black Panther.

Vega

I doubt Black Panther will get a solo film as his introduction. There's too much working against it. Fox News would love if a movie called "Black Panther" were released. Those idiots would have a field day.

I think it's way more likely that Black Panther will be introduced in Captain America 2 or 3. Just have a super villian try to steal Wakanda's tech and send Cap to Africa for a bit. That way we could get this:

1089331-untitled30_super.jpg

Then they can bring him into the Avengers or give him a solo film if the audiences take to him.

I doubt Black Panther will get a solo film as his introduction. There's too much working against it. Fox News would love if a movie called "Black Panther" were released. Those idiots would have a field day.

I think it's way more likely that Black Panther will be introduced in Captain America 2 or 3. Just have a super villian try to steal Wakanda's tech and send Cap to Africa for a bit. That way we could get this:

1089331-untitled30_super.jpg

Then they can bring him into the Avengers or give him a solo film if the audiences take to him.

The wakandan tech aspect can also be played up in iron man 3, tony meeting someone with a whole nation of tech instead of a company would interesting

Eh, I say BP gets a film in 2015.

I'm going to predict the roadmap for Marvel Studios over the next 4 years:

2013: Iron Man 3- May, Thor 2- Nov (both confirmed)
2014: Cap 2- May (confirmed), Guardians of the Galaxy- end of summer, Ant-Man- Nov/Dec
2015: Black Panther- beginning of summer, new Hulk film- end of summer
2016: Avengers 2

Booking it. I'm pretty confident those are the films we'll get, anyway. Maybe swap GotG and Black Panther around in the schedules.

2013: IM3, T2
2014: CA2, AM
2015: A2

BOOK IT.

Yup, this would be my bet as well. At most, early 2016 Avengers release with a new movie (for a new hero or Hulk) in 2015.

And Guardians of the Galaxy? Too tough to sell, I definitely see Ant-Man, Black Panther, and one or two different people getting movies before that.

GotG would a) be a fucking hit with kids, if marketed right- I know all these films do well with kids, but whatever- and b) be really useful for the Thanos plot in A2. You know, Adam Warlock and all that.

But then again, Disney may be reluctant to splurge cash on an undoubtedly CG-heavy film before A2. Who knows. I still say it's happening within the next 4 years, bare minimum.

Caboose

If they make Iron Fist, they should base it on Brubaker and Fraction's run, where Danny is 33. I'm probably going to get flak for this but fuck it, I give you my pick for Danny Rand:
ryan-phillippe-shirtless-mens-health-2011-muscles-cover-pecs-abs-tattoos-workout-body-bodybuilder-bodybuilding-children-love-child-kids-alexis-knapp-illegitimate-reese-witherspoon-gay-bisexual-weights-boyfriend-girlfriend-smoking.jpg

ReiGun

Y'all are pretty much echoing how I think Panther will end up showing up in the MCU.

IM3: A short scene in the beginning has Stark trying to make a deal to get some Wakandan tech and vibranium (make sure the country is mentioned by name). It falls through due to being past shaky dealings between Stark Industries and the nation of Wakanda. Stark makes some snarky comment about "the guy in the kitty cat suit".

Cap 2: Shield sends Cap into Wakanda after Cap tells Fury about his past meeting with the Black Panther back in WWII. Cue flashback to Cap getting his ass whupped by BP. Cap makes it in, and tries to work with a stubborn and aging T'Chaka. Then, a newly formed Hydra, under the control of Baron Zemo (with everyone's favorite Winter Soldier in tow) rolls in and starts wrecking shit. T'Chaka dies in the conflict, and T'Challa takes the mantle.

A2: Shit gets real and the Avengers have to assemble. Cap calls his bro Black Panther, who shows up and kicks all kinds of ass.

BP solo: Deals with T'Challa trying to get a handle on managing his kingdom. Enemy for the film is Erik Killmonger.

So, um, any good comics I should read if I'm interested in Black Panther?

Christopher Priests run is the one to get:

Black Panther (vol. 2) #1-56, 59-62

Seconding this recommendation. Priest's run so good.

Ant man is gonna have to be a tonal departure for the superhero genre to be successful.
I wouldn't have it any other way, personally.

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Idris Elba
Michael Jai White
Djimon Hounsou
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

I'd rather see Michael Jai White play Luke Cage.

Pair him up with the right Iron Fist, and suddenly you have an awesome buddy superhero movie.

One thing I fucking insist: the opening of Cap 2 has to be the Winter Soldier on assignment during the Cold War. And he has to be a free man when the film gets into business in modern times- ideally, he's been abandoned and forgotten by the Russians, and is pretty much insane. And I don't think there should be a happy ending for him either- kill him off, you have a good metaphor for Cap letting go of his past and adapting to the future (which I think will be a huge theme for the sequel).

I personally just don't see Ant Man working as a film in the MCU. Some giant man walking around cities beating up bad guys? It just doesn't seem plausible with what Marvel has going with its series at the moment. I could be totally wrong, but I personally don't see it happening.

ScarJo wanting to get a solo film and with her success in Avengers, I could see a Black Widow/Hawkeye film in 2014. It could be of smaller budget because of the non-A List members of the team, but it would do well. Especially if they market it right.

Maybe a SHIELD scientist goes missing and they have to go find him. The scientist is being held hostage for whatever reason, and eventually injects himself with whatever serum he was working on, becomes Quicksilver. There you go, new superhero for Avengers 2. Maybe to add some variety to the team, change the name and make him a girl to add another woman to the roster. Especially if this goes down:

Cap is ordered by Fury to go to Wakanda for whatever reason. Doesn't really matter what the plot is. The point of it is that it introduces Black Panther, who partners with Cap for most of the movie. Near the end have Panther offer to help Cap whenever he needs him again. Sets up for Avengers 2.

That sets up for Avengers 2 with Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Quicksilver as the roster against Thanos.

The only thing I don't like about the MCU is that all of the real meat of the continuity relating to the Avengers comes from Thor. Loki? From Thor. Thanos? Has to get the infinity gauntlet, which is in Odin's vault. So it looks like that is setting up for at least some type of appearance in Thor 2. And then there is the Thor influences in Captain America, which was great, but I would personally love to see a bad guy come through that originates or is explained more in a non-Thor movie. Iron man 3 is pretty much ruled out. I doubt they'll be able to fit in a Hulk movie unless they don't do the Widow/Hawkeye movie, but I suppose they could do it in Captain America 2.

Just some speculation. I'm procrastinating and don't want to study.

noah111

Still Alive
Idris Elba already plays Heimdall in the Thor movies.

I guarantee he won't be even considered for Black Panther.
Holy shit, I forgot all about that. :lol I was referring to him in Ghost Rider 2, which is unrelated to MCU. But yeah, he won't work in that case, then..

Hex

Banned

Rand is white.
Blond hair, blue eyed white boy.
What does asian have to do with it?
DO people not even look things up first?

Top Bottom