• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Tobor

To Joe Bloggs on the street, the smaller properties are just as obscure as Thor was or Iron Man was until they put them on the big screen. It's taking things from recent times with real potential and giving them a chance to break out. Guardians has huge potential. Plus I think internally those characters are insanely beloved, so there's a strong push to get them out there from within just from a creative standpoint.

They're launching these things alongside the likes of Cap anyway, so it can't be too dangerous... well, unless GotG has a ridiculous budget, but we'll see.

I guess he swings a big enough stick now to take a few risks. Granted, Cap and Thor were big risks, but necessary ones to lead to this gargantuan payoff. Very interesting. I need to check out Guardians, I don't know a whole lot about it.

Hex

Banned
Before that interview, I would've had Strange pegged as their other 2014 film, but the fact that Feige hinted at either Guardians, Inhumans, or Runaways as being far enough along to be announced (to some extent) within the next few months made me think that one of those will end up taking precedence over Dr. Strange.

This was from April 30th 2012 from Feige
“We have! I mean, there are certainly others like Guardians [of the Galaxy], like Inhumans, like Doctor Strange that we haven’t yet, but I am confident that we will. So there’s a lot of satisfaction now, on the eve of Avengers, that this thing that was deemed impossible has actually occurred.”

God, gotta say I am really stupid excited for Thor 2. Loved the first, favorite MCU fillm not Avengers, such a great energy to everyone in the cast, esp. Hemsworth.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
fingers crossed for Amadeus Cho to be in Avengers 2.

team him with Starks and Banner....good times.

fingers crossed for Amadeus Cho to be in Avengers 2.

team him with Starks and Banner....good times.

People were already bitching about the techno babble in this one and it wasn't even a lot. Can you imagine having 3 science guys in the same room having a dialog? we'll get another "IN ENGLISH PLEASE" so it can be dumbed down for them.

People were already bitching about the techno babble in this one and it wasn't even a lot. Can you imagine having 3 science guys in the same room having a dialog? we'll get another "IN ENGLISH PLEASE" so it can be dumbed down for them.

Except that he's not really a science guy. Also his quantum predictability power would be hard to manifest on screen.

So how long until SWORD appears in the movies? A2? A3? Or will they just stick with SHIELD?

I'm guessing A3 if Thanos attacks in A2, seems the logical step to take after yet another attack from a hostile ET.

SWORD is Joss' idea (if I'm not mistaken), so it makes sense we'll see them eventually, but will Marvel allow it? Will having both SHIELD and SWORD in the same movie even work?

Tobor

So how long until SWORD appears in the movies? A2? A3? Or will they just stick with SHIELD?

I'm guessing A3 if Thanos attacks in A2, seems the logical step to take after yet another attack from a hostile ET.

SWORD is Joss' idea (if I'm not mistaken), so it makes sense we'll see them eventually, but will Marvel allow it? Will having both SHIELD and SWORD in the same movie even work?

SWORD was first introduced in the X-Men, so they may be unavailable.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Question:
Among the Marvel Universe (not film), who is the most intelligent genius (human, not cosmic level)? Normally I hear vouches for:

Ant-Man (Hank Pym)
Mister Fantastic (Reed Richards)
Doctor Doom (Victor Von Doom)
Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange)
Professor X (Charles Xavier)
Bruce Banner
Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Amadeus Cho
Beast (Hank McCoy)
The Leader (Samuel Sterns)
Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)
Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)

Also, is anyone else on the bandwagon of seeing Abomination return as a henchman of sorts in Avengers 2? Perhaps, if Red Skull doesn't make a cameo in Captain America 2, he could make a cameo in Avengers 2 as a lackey, too.

Slayven

Question:
Among the Marvel Universe (not film), who is the most intelligent genius (human, not cosmic level)? Normally I hear vouches for:

Ant-Man (Hank Pym)
Mister Fantastic (Reed Richards)
Doctor Doom (Victor Von Doom)
Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange)
Professor X (Charles Xavier)
Bruce Banner
Iron Man (Tony Stark)
Amadeus Cho
Beast (Hank McCoy)
The Leader (Samuel Sterns)
Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius)
Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)

Also, is anyone else on the bandwagon of seeing Abomination return as a henchman of sorts in Avengers 2? Perhaps, if Red Skull doesn't make a cameo in Captain America 2, he could make a cameo in Avengers 2 as a lackey, too.

I guess Pym is out, because the Universe said he was Supreme Scientist.

Didn't hulk crush abom's chest in TIH? It's been so long, I can't remember what actually happened. Anyway, Doubt we'll be seeing him again.

mjc

I could see some members from Guardians of the Galaxy showing up in Thor 2 as cameos possibly. I don't think Marvel will touch GotG until after Avengers 2, but they're definitely on their mind I think.

ReiGun

Isn't there some official ranking of the big brains in the marvel universe? I know T'Challa mentions that he ranks as 8th, so I figured there was a list or something.

Didn't hulk crush abom's chest in TIH? It's been so long, I can't remember what actually happened. Anyway, Doubt we'll be seeing him again.

He was about to kill him but stopped after he saw betty or betty said something. Either way, he didnt kill abomination. But I doubt he appears in anything.

Reed Richards, indisputable imo

iEmU2Fw5mPsuN.png

Slayven

He was about to kill him but stopped after he saw betty or betty said something. Either way, he didnt kill abomination. But I doubt he appears in anything.

Abom is alive in custody, they wanted him for the Avengers but Son of Coul nipped that shit in the bud.

Isn't there some official ranking of the big brains in the marvel universe? I know T'Challa mentions that he ranks as 8th, so I figured there was a list or something.

tumblr_lztq48JOZ11rpq9k8o1_500.jpg

There are several issues that refer to Tony Stark as the smartest man in the world. Of course within the Marvel Universe most of the cosmic powered characters have some kind of omniscience which I would guess makes them "smarter."

Then they are wrong. Dead wrong.

The smartest in 616 are Reed/his daughter then Doom with Tony/Pym following behind those three. Banner on up there as well.

Tim Roth signed up for any possible sequel. If they go for the idea of a smaller villain than Thanos in A2, I could very well see Abomination showing up. Hulk was almost universally the most praised aspect of this film, so maybe they want to have two Gamma monsters in the sequel.

Abomination would be a great anchor for a "Dark Avengers" plot (since the guy who opposed his admission isn't exactly a loud voice at the table anymore), if the Avengers ever went rogue for some reason. That's probably the closest we could ever get to Civil War. It'd be a good way to show that the Avengers are probably right and S.H.I.E.L.D. really has gone off the deep end.

Abomination would be a great anchor for a "Dark Avengers" plot (since the guy who opposed his admission isn't exactly a loud voice at the table anymore), if the Avengers ever went rogue for some reason. That's probably the closest we could ever get to Civil War. It'd be a good way to show that the Avengers are probably right and S.H.I.E.L.D. really has gone off the deep end.

Something based on Dark Avengers would really lose a lot of its appeal without evil opposites for the heroes or Norman Osborn. Better to just have a big villain team up (though that will never be as good as it should without Dr. Doom leading them)

TDLink

I feel Marvel will definitely be making a GotG movie based on recent comments, but I don't think it has any chance of coming out 2 years from now. GotG is Avengers-level in scope. It's too tough to bring together in such a short period of time. Maybe they won't have as much setup but I can't imagine having none. Even if they only use A2 to set up Thanos that is at least something. Maybe they can have the Avengers lose to Thanos and thus introduce the GotG as a more powerful force that has a chance at stopping him...this would effectively carry the Avengers audience over to GotG. I could definitely see GotG as a "Big" film between A2 and A3. 2013 is locked down, we know it is just Thor and IM. I definitely think 2014 will be Cap, Ant-Man, and something else. The only question is what that third 2014 film is. I think Doctor Strange has the best shot honestly unless they fast track another Hulk film due to his recent Avengers praise.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

In the short film The Consultant, Coulson says that Blonsky is imprisoned and in General Ross' custody.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Throwing this out there: If Hulk becomes a "villain" for a good portion of Avengers 2 due to Banner losing control, does the scenario interest anyone or has it already been played out too much?

There's also a chance that Black Panther could become a "villain" along with Vision, too. What's the interest level in either or? Of course, they would be minor villains, similar to Hawkeye, but curious to know if shoehorning them in for an introduction would be favorable to fans.

Throwing this out there: If Hulk becomes a "villain" for a good portion of Avengers 2 due to Banner losing control, does the scenario interest anyone or has it already been played out too much?

There's also a chance that Black Panther could become a "villain" along with Vision, too. What's the interest level in either or? Of course, they would be minor villains, similar to Hawkeye, but curious to know if shoehorning them in for an introduction would be favorable to fans.

Played out, I think. Besides the aforementioned Abomination, there's a lot of big superstrong villains they could use. If they keep making Hulk lose control it'll make all his development mean nothing.

And I don't think including more Avengers as villains would work. It worked for Hawkeye because it was used to give the character some stuff to do so the audience identifies him before they actually assemble, and because he was a simple street level character. It would only work for a similarly powerful character, and honestly, don't see them reusing that. Now, it could work for a strong character who is not famous enough to get his own movie, but a lot of focus should be given to it.

Now that you mention him, I could see Vision being introduced that way, if Ultron is the villain in Ant-Man and Avengers 2.

I feel Marvel will definitely be making a GotG movie based on recent comments, but I don't think it has any chance of coming out 2 years from now. GotG is Avengers-level in scope. It's too tough to bring together in such a short period of time. Maybe they won't have as much setup but I can't imagine having none. Even if they only use A2 to set up Thanos that is at least something. Maybe they can have the Avengers lose to Thanos and thus introduce the GotG as a more powerful force that has a chance at stopping him...this would effectively carry the Avengers audience over to GotG. I could definitely see GotG as a "Big" film between A2 and A3. 2013 is locked down, we know it is just Thor and IM. I definitely think 2014 will be Cap, Ant-Man, and something else. The only question is what that third 2014 film is. I think Doctor Strange has the best shot honestly unless they fast track another Hulk film due to his recent Avengers praise.

Nah, I think Thanos is a lock for A2 as the big bad and Adam Warlock will be there to help the Avengers fight him off. Remove the Warlock factor and the Guardians don't really have that much over the Avengers in terms of Thanosproofing, so I don't think they, as a team, will cross over into A2 much, just Warlock. (Also, I think the one line Marvel can't cross is having Iron Man fighting alongside an anthropomorphic Cockney raccoon.)

Feige hinted that they're further along with this project than people think. They'll sell the film on the strength of the characters, and they'll introduce the characters in the one film. They're all thematically consistent, they can just roll with it. I think 2014 is the year of the Guardians- if not, 2015. Marvel are crying out for Rocket and pals to hit the mainstream.

It's happening before A2. I'd make a ban bet on that if those still flew.

There are several issues that refer to Tony Stark as the smartest man in the world. Of course within the Marvel Universe most of the cosmic powered characters have some kind of omniscience which I would guess makes them "smarter."

Stark is not even in the same league as Richards and Doom.

TDLink

Nah, I think Thanos is a lock for A2 as the big bad and Adam Warlock will be there to help the Avengers fight him off. Remove the Warlock factor and the Guardians don't really have that much over the Avengers in terms of Thanosproofing, so I don't think they, as a team, will cross over into A2 much, just Warlock. (Also, I think the one line Marvel can't cross is having Iron Man fighting alongside an anthropomorphic Cockney raccoon.)

Feige hinted that they're further along with this project than people think. They'll sell the film on the strength of the characters, and they'll introduce the characters in the one film. They're all thematically consistent, they can just roll with it. I think 2014 is the year of the Guardians- if not, 2015. Marvel are crying out for Rocket and pals to hit the mainstream.

It's happening before A2. I'd make a ban bet on that if those still flew.

I wasn't saying the Avengers and the Guardians would be in the same film. I was saying Thanos -would- be the A2 antagonist and end up beating the Avengers. After that he would be the villain in GotG...which would lead to the Avengers audience wanting to see GotG in order to find out what happens with Thanos. Warlock isn't the only Guardian that could legitimately take on Thanos...there's also Drax, you know, the guy in the comic who actually "beat" him in Annihilation. As an entire team though they have more to offer than just one guy taking him on anyways...just like The Avengers do. There is no reason they can't all use their strengths to take him down cumulatively.

Additionally, things don't stay secret in Hollywood. They can't be that far along on GotG due to no known script, attached director, or attached actors. The only thing they may be far along with is a concept, which is reasonable but still requires those other things I just mentioned...which we actually do know some of the other films (like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange) have.

I wasn't saying the Avengers and the Guardians would be in the same film. I was saying Thanos -would- be the A2 antagonist and end up beating the Avengers. After that he would be the villain in GotG...which would lead to the Avengers audience wanting to see GotG in order to find out what happens with Thanos. Warlock isn't the only Guardian that could legitimately take on Thanos...there's also Drax, you know, the guy in the comic who actually "beat" him in Annihilation. As an entire team though they have more to offer than just one guy taking him on anyways...just like The Avengers do. There is no reason they can't all use their strengths to take him down cumulatively.

Additionally, things don't stay secret in Hollywood. They can't be that far along on GotG due to no known script, attached director, or attached actors. The only thing they may be far along with is a concept, which is reasonable but still requires those other things I just mentioned...which we actually do know some of the other films (like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange) have.

Ah, damn. It's hard to keep track of them all. Anyway, they're not going to end the Avengers with the Avengers fucking losing, are you insane? :lol They aren't going to want to know "Man, what does Thanos do know?", they're going to go "Man that film was poop" and never see a Marvel film ever again. Spoiler warning, because here's how Avengers 2 ends: the Avengers fucking kick Thanos's teeth in.

Anyway, your second point is null by way of Cap 2 having basically nothing attached to it at the moment either, beyond a bunch of potential directors, the screenwriters and Chris. Likewise, Doctor Strange has nothing for it either. Beyond Thor 2, all projects are pretty much up in the air- Cap 2 could go in like a million different directions. They haven't even said if Sam Jackson is back, or Renner or Johansson or Smulders. At least Thor 2 has a confirmed list of returning duders. Things don't say secret- except when things are too early for anything to leak, just like Cap, just like Doc Strange (they hired writers in 2010- not a peep since), just like Ant-Man and just like Guardians.

Tobor

I could see a scenario where Avengers 2 ends on an Empire Strikes Back down note. It would be resolved in Avengers 3 of, course.

I could see a scenario where Avengers 2 ends on an Empire Strikes Back down note. It would be resolved in Avengers 3 of, course.

They'll want to release movies between Avengers 2 and Avengers 3. If Thanos is the villain in Avengers 2, he's going down. That's why I think they should save him for last.

They most definitely won't use Avengers to set up GotG, or any other movie for that matter. Avengers is the movie they use other movies to set up.

I could see Avengers 2 borrowing the Fear Itself plot point where the good guys got to use weapons from Odin's armory. Tony Stark with the Cosmic Cube implanted in his chest? Yes plz.

Top Bottom