• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

noah111

Still Alive
I personally just don't see Ant Man working as a film in the MCU. Some giant man walking around cities beating up bad guys? It just doesn't seem plausible with what Marvel has going with its series at the moment. I could be totally wrong, but I personally don't see it happening.
Well, it seems like it's going to be happen regardless (this is the guy who's been working on the script for a while now);

tumblr_m3pv8f8lFb1ql5fpjo1_1280.jpg

Dram

Ant Man could work if they make him funny like the latest version of the character. He could be the MCU version of Spider-Man.

One thing I fucking insist: the opening of Cap 2 has to be the Winter Soldier on assignment during the Cold War. And he has to be a free man when the film gets into business in modern times- ideally, he's been abandoned and forgotten by the Russians, and is pretty much insane. And I don't think there should be a happy ending for him either- kill him off, you have a good metaphor for Cap letting go of his past and adapting to the future (which I think will be a huge theme for the sequel).

I kind of want them to save Winter Soldier for Cap 3.

Bucky's been dead for about a third of a movie. In the comics he was dead for fifty years. Bringing him back in the first sequel doesn't give his death nearly enough space. Plus, Cap adjusting to the modern world alone is a lot more meaningful than getting his old WWII buddy back right away.

Make Winter Soldier the post-credits scene in Cap 2, then have Cap and Black Widow go after him in 3.

Vega

detail.jpg

I can't wait til this badass shows up in the MCU. Either as a hero or villian, doesn't matter. He's pretty much fucked over everyone in the Marvel Universe at some point.

789shadow

Banned
detail.jpg

I can't wait til this badass shows up in the MCU. Either as a hero or villian, doesn't matter. He's pretty much fucked over everyone in the Marvel Universe at some point.
I don't know this for sure, but I don't think he can show up because of the same movie rights issues that keep the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spiderman out.

I kind of want them to save Winter Soldier for Cap 3.

Bucky's been dead for about a third of a movie. In the comics he was dead for fifty years. Bringing him back in the first sequel doesn't give his death nearly enough space. Plus, Cap adjusting to the modern world alone is a lot more meaningful than getting his old WWII buddy back right away.

Make Winter Soldier the post-credits scene in Cap 2, then have Cap and Black Widow go after him in 3.

Well, that's kinda the point. It's not his WWII buddy- it's a fucking crazed psychopathic and highly trained killer who Cap learns is Bucky, and isn't in much of a position to change him back. I think if they leave him until Cap 2, they stretch the theme of Cap's adjustment on for too long. By time we get to Cap 3, I want a more adjusted Cap, who's properly comfortable with the world around him.

I can already imagine some director talking about Cap 3, going "Yeah so for this film we're creating this DARK story about a NIGHTMARE from Cap's past", and zzzzzzzzzzz. Threequels that go down the "Let's shit on our protagonist's parade!" path, I fucking despise. Do Winter Soldier in Cap 2. Furthermore, have him alongside other stuff. A.I.M. would be cool, they need to show up eventually.

One more thing- Bucky in Cap 1 was boring as all hell, so it's not his death meant anything. Bring in Winter Soldier ASAP to make that character worthwhile in the MCU.

Vega

Nope Namor is a Marvel studios property. He reverted back some time ago. I think Universal had his rights initially.

Snaku

Banned
Eh, I say BP gets a film in 2015.

I'm going to predict the roadmap for Marvel Studios over the next 4 years:

2013: Iron Man 3- May, Thor 2- Nov (both confirmed)
2014: Cap 2- May (confirmed), Guardians of the Galaxy- end of summer, Ant-Man- Nov/Dec
2015: Black Panther- beginning of summer, new Hulk film- end of summer
2016: Avengers 2

Booking it. I'm pretty confident those are the films we'll get, anyway. Maybe swap GotG and Black Panther around in the schedules.

Avengers 2 will be out in 2015. No way Disney is going to wait four years before tapping into that gold mine again. I also don't think they'll wait that long to make a new Hulk film. The Hulk character has never been more over with the general public, as evidenced by TIH shooting up the rental charts on both iTunes and Amazon Instant Video, and the Blu-ray selling out and having been put on a two week back order on Amazon. Hell, even the Planet Hulk Blu-ray sold out. People want to see more Hulk now, and three years is quite a long time to let that enthusiasm dwindle. If any movie takes fast track priority at Marvel Studios, it's the Incredible Hulk 2.

I think Kevin Feige is probably in serious debates with Disney execs about whether A2 lands 2015 or 2016 right now. I know Disney doesn't have a Harry Potter to bring in the big bucks in between the two films, but if WB can release a film that does as well as The Dark Knight and wait 4 years for a sequel, Disney can do the same. (I know that's not an identical comparison but I still think it's valid, people will wait the extra year.)

It'll be an internal tug-of-war. Marvel probably want an extra year they could use to build the MCU further, and Disney want A2 ASAP. I'm betting Marvel win out, though the odds probably aren't in my favour.

noah111

Still Alive
Ant Man will be the MCU movie for people who hate MCU movies.
Not sure how you mean by that..

detail.jpg

Same here, i'm not even a huge fan of the comics but his character would be awesome to see on the big screen. The comics dynamic of his rivalry with Stark would work tremendously with RDJ, too.

I think Kevin Feige is probably in serious debates with Disney execs about whether A2 lands 2015 or 2016 right now. I know Disney doesn't have a Harry Potter to bring in the big bucks in between the two films, but if WB can release a film that does as well as The Dark Knight and wait 4 years for a sequel, Disney can do the same. (I know that's not an identical comparison but I still think it's valid, people will wait the extra year.)

It'll be an internal tug-of-war. Marvel probably want an extra year they could use to build the MCU further, and Disney want A2 ASAP. I'm betting Marvel win out, though the odds probably aren't in my favour.
It's all really going to depend on what new movies they want to release before A2, and how successful they think those titles could be/stand on their own. I'd love 2016 if it meant more than just Ant-Man.

At the same time, though, i'd be fine with only introducing him and Wasp into the team for A2.. we'll see.

But I really don't think there will be a tug of war between the two; Marvel has no illusions of 2015 being the reasonable target at this point, I think.

Snaku

Banned
WB can release a film that does as well as The Dark Knight and wait 4 years for a sequel, Disney can do the same. (I know that's not an identical comparison but I still think it's valid, people will wait the extra year.)

Pro-2016 side's argument will hinge on how successful TDKR turns out.

All the talk about Ant-Man and Black Panther is cool and all... but where's the Dr. Strange love? He has also been mentioned a couple of times and goddamnit how much would I love to see the Dread Dormammu on the big screen.

And RDJ <3 should also play Dr. Strange, with no explanation, and so give him two roles in Avengers 2

Not sure how you mean by that.

Only that it's going to break the mold. It will be so unlike the rest of the MCU movies that I think even critics of the whole MCU "movement" will enjoy it...but there will be complaints among those who love the MCU because it won't fit in quite as neatly.

My prediction. You have it, now.

All the talk about Ant-Man and Black Panther is cool and all... but where's the Dr. Strange love? He has also been mentioned a couple of times and goddamnit how much would I love to see the Dread Dormammu on the big screen.

And RDJ <3 should also play Dr. Strange, with no explanation, and so give him two roles in Avengers 2

I'm totally gonna write a fake Dr. Strange synopsis sometime soon, I think he makes a lot more sense for the near future than Black Panther, honestly.

Hex

Banned

Strange is the only add on that I am interested in.
They really have to make it happen, I know that they have been wanting to do it so now is the time to make it so.

Snaku

Banned

And if they're going against Thanos, Strange would be a lot more useful than BP.

I'm all for waiting till 2016 to see Thanos kick some ass, as long as that means the team will be biger with more stand alone movies in between like BP, Dr. Strange, Ant Man. Need me some Ant Man in Avengers 2.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I've said it before but I'd love that no matter how hokey it would be.

Blader

Ant-Man is NOT the May 2014 film. Feige said that that would be their third 2014 title (should Wright make it in time for that year).

The May 2014 movie will be either Runaways, Inhumans, or Guardians of the Galaxy -- and given the Thanos teaser, I'm betting on it being Guardians.

ReiGun

Hey man. People on the internet with no power whatsoever were talking about taking my Panther away. Something had to give.

Oh, yeah, fuck those guys. But Pym fo' life.

because he's the path to Ultron and Vision, of course. Also, Ant-Man is kinda neat himself. I want that helmet.

Ant-Man and The Wasp - Stair Falling Adventures before Avengers 2. The Black Panther - Bigger, Blacker, Panther before Avengers 3.

It's been said a million times in this thread, but it's still the best option: make Ant-Man about Eric O'Grady.

There'd still be room for plenty of Hank Pym as the scientist who Eric steals the suit from. Hell, you could find a place for Scott Lang in there if you really want. But the fact is that we already have two scientist Avengers, and not nearly enough asshole Avengers.

noah111

Still Alive
Only that it's going to break the mold. It will be so unlike the rest of the MCU movies that I think even critics of the whole MCU "movement" will enjoy it...but there will be complaints among those who love the MCU because it won't fit in quite as neatly.
Hmm, not sure how you see that, though. Specifics-wise, you could be referring to a multitude of ways that movie could go. 60s Pym with modern day Lang? Ant-Man or Giant Man? Wasp as a love partner? etc. Too hard to make such judgments at this point, imo. Elaborate though, i'm interested.

Ant-Man is NOT the May 2014 film. Feige said that that would be their third 2014 title (should Wright make it in time for that year).

The May 2014 movie will be either Runaways, Inhumans, or Guardians of the Galaxy -- and given the Thanos teaser, I'm betting on it being Guardians.
Link please. I'll believe the latter when I see it, the Ant-Man project seems so much further along than Runaways, Inhumans, or GotG seems to be..

Link please. I'll believe the latter when I see it, the Ant-Man project seems so much further along than Runaways, Inhumans, or GotG seems to be..

I agree. Ant-Man has a director, a loose plot, plus he's met with Whedon. GotG is little more than a concept right now.

Maybe Runaways, but considering how Ant-Man ties in with the MCU, they'll want to do it first.

It's been said a million times in this thread, but it's still the best option: make Ant-Man about Eric O'Grady.

There'd still be room for plenty of Hank Pym as the scientist who Eric steals the suit from. Hell, you could find a place for Scott Lang in there if you really want. But the fact is that we already have two scientist Avengers, and not nearly enough asshole Avengers.

I had a good, what, two-hours? two hour chat with a friend today about all the crazy Marvel stuff that could be on the cards beyond the Avengers film- Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, but also explaining stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, Vision, Ultron, what's the deal with X-Men nowadays, etc etc. At one point, after telling him what the Ant-Man film will probably be (which, by the way, is about Pym and Scott Lang), I mentioned there's the third Ant-Man who, if the Ant-Man film doesn't change, would probably be Ant-Man in an Avengers film, seeing as Pym and Lang would be too old.

I think it took me like 30 seconds to sell him on O'Grady.

They need to figure out how to resurrect Vincent Price and make him younger to play Dr. Strange. Noone is more Dr. Strange than him.

noah111

Still Alive
I simply don't think Marvel will release movies about any group other than The Avengers, at least, for a reeeeally long time.
You're probably right about that, it'd diverge too much attention and leave the laymen thinking "wait, this isn't the avengers. where the fuck's the avengers?".

If they do though, it'll be Runaways rather than anything else. At least that has a totally unique spin to it and an arguably different demographic appeal. But yeah, not until after A2 probably..

Blader

Link:

However, the producer added with a smile when asked about the possibility of an Ant-Man, Runaways, Inhumans or Guardians film, "Two of those four are much closer than people realize, and we'll be talking about them in the coming months!"

And in a separate interview, Feige said that, depending on Wright's schedule, they'd release Ant-Man as a third movie in 2014.

So that leaves Inhumans, Guardians, and Runaways for the May 16 slot. Runaways is technically the furthest along, but Marvel has been stalling on it for the last year or two, whereas Guardians has been getting name dropped a lot over that same time period. Throw in the Thanos teaser in Avengers and Feige's saying repeatedly how they want to open up the cosmic side of the MCU, and it looks to me like Guardians is up on deck.

noah111

Still Alive
Link:

And in a separate interview, Feige said that, depending on Wright's schedule, they'd release Ant-Man as a third movie in 2014.
Interesting. But THREE(!) movies in 2014? They've never done that before, seems a bit much..

But this should be interesting. I hope it's Inhumans, but that's doubtful in comparison to GotG or even Runaways, I guess. Either way, doesn't mean two of those 'which are close' means before A2, necessarily.

But Ant-Man is practically confirmed at this point, so I can't wait to see the direction they'll be going with that.

Hex

Banned

A Doctor Strange film has also been in the hotseat and being pushed and is just as likely.

DO you honestly think that they will push a movie like GotG out the door when nobody has heard of any of the characters and the budget would be insanely stupid.
Thanos does not = GotG.
There can also be Vision or Ultron with Pym honestly but we know that Ant Man is pretty much set in stone with recent updates.

I'm seeing compelling evidence for my "3 in 2014" prediction.

Once again: Cap in April, Guardians in May, Ant-Man in Q4. BOOK. THAT. SHIT.

ReiGun

Bu bu bu Panther has this

1086966-bp_contingency_plan_for_galactus_super.jpg

Lol lol
That would be so awesome in A2.

Captain America: Alright, guys. Thanos is tougher than anyone we've ever faced, alone or together. We need a plan of attack.

Iron Man: I have one: attack.

Hawkeye (to Black Widow): Ugh, he tells that joke at every meeting...

Cap: Anyone have a real plan?

*Black Panther hands him a file named "Anti-Thanos and Similar Cosmic Badness Attack Strategies"*

Cap: How long have you had this?

BP: A while now. What, you guys don't have your own?

Blader

A Doctor Strange film has also been in the hotseat and being pushed and is just as likely.

Before that interview, I would've had Strange pegged as their other 2014 film, but the fact that Feige hinted at either Guardians, Inhumans, or Runaways as being far enough along to be announced (to some extent) within the next few months made me think that one of those will end up taking precedence over Dr. Strange.

Tobor

Before that interview, I would've had Strange pegged as their other 2014 film, but the fact that Feige hinted at either Guardians, Inhumans, or Runaways as being far enough along to be announced (to some extent) within the next few months made me think that one of those will end up taking precedence over Dr. Strange.

I can't lie, I don't get his strategy with these smaller properties. But that's why he's Kevin Feige and I'm posting on a message board, I suppose.

I can't lie, I don't get his strategy with these smaller properties. But that's why he's Kevin Feige and I'm posting on a message board, I suppose.

To Joe Bloggs on the street, the smaller properties are just as obscure as Thor was or Iron Man was until they put them on the big screen. It's taking things from recent times with real potential and giving them a chance to break out. Guardians has huge potential. Plus I think internally those characters are insanely beloved, so there's a strong push to get them out there from within just from a creative standpoint.

They're launching these things alongside the likes of Cap anyway, so it can't be too dangerous... well, unless GotG has a ridiculous budget, but we'll see.

noah111

Still Alive
I'm going to go to sleep, and when I wake up, I'll be betting on which of those three will be the other 2014 title. Going to need to look into it more... but yeah, it's really up in the air at this point.

Top Bottom